Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,507 members, 7,830,520 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Michel Platini Wants Forty Teams At The World Cup To Make Room For African teams - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Michel Platini Wants Forty Teams At The World Cup To Make Room For African teams (505 Views)

Enyeama, Musa Shortlisted For African Footballer Of The Year Award / FIFA Bans Blatter, Platini / What's Wrong With All The African Teams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Michel Platini Wants Forty Teams At The World Cup To Make Room For African teams by Irises(m): 3:37pm On Nov 22, 2013
Michel Platini will push for the World Cup finals to be expanded from 32
to 40 teams and is confident Fifa will back what would be the most
significant change to the tournament in two decades.
Fifa president Sepp Blatter last week called for more African and Asian
representation at football’s biggest event, something that was widely
regarded as a call for the number of European teams to be cut.
But Uefa counterpart Platini has turned the argument on its head by
revealing he wants to add eight countries to the mix, two from Africa, two
from Asia, two from North and Central America, one from Oceania and
one from Europe.
The Frenchman claimed his proposal, which would see the group stages
expanded from eight groups of four to eight groups of five from the 2018
event in Russia, would only extend the current 31-day tournament by three
days and would be “good for everybody”.
Platini told The Times: “I totally agree with Mr Blatter that we need more
African and Asian [countries]. But instead of taking away some European,
we have to go to 40 teams. We can add two African, two Asiatic, two
American, one Oceania and one from Europe.”

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10408432/Uefa-president-Michel-Platini-wants-40-teams-in-the-World-Cup-to-make-room-for-African-and-Asian-teams.html
Re: Michel Platini Wants Forty Teams At The World Cup To Make Room For African teams by Chazzyboy: 3:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
Good idea
Re: Michel Platini Wants Forty Teams At The World Cup To Make Room For African teams by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 22, 2013
Good Idea...... I Support Platini 40 teams for the world Cup
Re: Michel Platini Wants Forty Teams At The World Cup To Make Room For African teams by Chimex388: 4:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
The once who have gone have so far disgraced us on d average...if our best havent made it so far..still d same group are goin to 2014.. Wat more can we produce.... Abi dem dey find who dem europeans & southamericans go give 8-0
Re: Michel Platini Wants Forty Teams At The World Cup To Make Room For African teams by Irises(m): 5:24pm On Nov 22, 2013
i think cutting the number of european teams is a better idea. europeans have many chances of winning the world cup because they are much. imajine no country will represent oceania at the world cup which is bad. i think the number of african and oceanian teams should be increased and that of europe reduced
Re: Michel Platini Wants Forty Teams At The World Cup To Make Room For African teams by Forzap: 7:07pm On Nov 22, 2013
I dont support dis!! African nd asian teams gat no quality yet

(1) (Reply)

Woman Defrauds Osaze £70,000 / Free Power Pumpxl Is Designed To Help Build Lean Muscle Mass / Pridaf Sports Ltd Requires The Partnership With Project Financiers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.