Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,489 members, 7,816,156 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo (13765 Views)

Pastor Hacks Banker Wife To Death In Imo [graphic Photo] / Nigerian Woman Arrested In US For Striping Unclad In Front Of Police (Photos) / Fake Army Major-general Arrested In Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by donphilopus: 8:28am On Nov 23, 2013

*.I brew fake drinks to survive – Suspect

When policemen swooped on 65-year-old Donatus Ogubie in his factory where he brewed fake drinks, they were amazed at his cool attitude. What could have given him the confidence to radiate such coolness?

Some officers and men of the Imo State Police Command have put an end to the activities of the operator of an illegal distilling factory where various alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are produced in unhygienic environment.

The owner of the illegal factory, Donatus Ogubie, 65, from Ogubele village, Atta in Njaba Local Government Area of the state, however, claimed that he was given approval by NAFDAC to run the factory at its current location.

When Saturday Mirror visited the area, the building was dilapidated, while filth, dust and disorder adorned all the rooms where production always take place.

It was gathered that sometimes in 2005, the man applied and got approval from NAFDAC to process only two products he called ‘Made in Imo’ wines.

Rather than concentrate on those two products, Ogubie went far beyond his bounds to produce dangerous and poisonous concoctions with which he faked top classic foreign wines such as Red Label, Don Morris, Hennessey, MacDowell, among others. It was learnt that during production process, the concoctions are mixed in the three giant plastic tanks placed inside one of the rooms which was used as production hall where later the liquid content were transferred into bottles stacked in the hall.

Recently, the state police command’s Ambush Squad stormed his illegal brewery and Ogubie was arrested. Upon his arrest, Ogubie looked unruffled, insisting that he officially obtained a license from NAFDAC to brew the wines. He also claimed he had been doing that in the last eight years.

Reacting to Ogubie’s arrest, Imo State commissioner of Police, Mohammed Musa Katsina, while conducting journalists round the illegal brewery, claimed that the Ambush Squad acted on the strength of intelligence report regarding the activities of the unrepentant Ogubie.

He stated that following the remote location of the fake brewery, Ogubie had for years, enjoyed adequate patronage from innocent and unsuspecting buyers and had consistently exported the deadly products to such big cities as Lagos, Kano, Port Harcourt, Onitsha and Kaduna before the long arm of the law caught up with him.

“From what we have seen here, you do not need a medical doctor to warn you to be careful because many people have ignorantly consumed these products, with disastrous consequences on their health.

“You don’t need a medical doctor to tell you that when next you want to buy a drink you have to be very careful because you may end up buying your death warrant. Children are now having different diseases, kidney, cancer, liver cancer yet the source of these illnesses are different to dictate. but I strongly believe that this is one of the sources. It is high time we stand up to kick against this illegality.

This man is a merchant of death,” the police boss said. Speaking with reporters, the suspect said that he set up the brewery to make ends meet, stating that the products are not for sale but for local consumption. His words, “This factory is established as a small scale industry not a modern one. We have bottles for different products any one we want to produce we get the bottle and fill them one by one for local consumption.”

He also claimed to have obtained Trade Test Certificates and had tutorials from some of his friends who he claimed studied Microbiology and Laboratory Technology from an undisclosed higher institution in Onitsha which had sharpened his business acumen in brewery.

“I have also applied my natural brain which God gave me to mix the drinks. If anybody opens the drinks you will not differentiate it from foreign made.

“We are Nigerians. We are finding ways to succeed. All those drinks are nice and good for consumption because I made them myself, I refined them and I computerised them in my Hectometre computer before I could refill them. NAFADC knows about it.” According to him he had 19 workers when he started the business before “foreign drinks begin to challenge the local drinks, now I have four workers.”

DO YOU NEED THE SOURCE? IF YES, CLICK HERE
Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by striker9(m): 8:34am On Nov 23, 2013
Lord have Mercy
Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by ba7man(m): 8:39am On Nov 23, 2013
Why didn't he just apply properly for a Nafdac permit, give it a unique branding and prepare it in a sanitary environment??

At least he has an idea, skill nd knowledge to achieve it.

Why ruin it.

7 Likes

Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by donphilopus: 9:19am On Nov 23, 2013
Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by preciousoloye(f): 10:04am On Nov 23, 2013
May God help his peeps amen smh
Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by Irises(m): 10:04am On Nov 23, 2013
fourth to comment. fake foreigh wines. FFW. thats the best wine for ogogoro backyard area boys.. abi i dey lie? no wonder he did the business
Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by Adesam09(m): 10:10am On Nov 23, 2013
1/200
Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by Tinyemeka(m): 10:10am On Nov 23, 2013
EXported to Lagos, PH and Kano.
LOL. And you'll have people posing with bottles of the red stuff: "Chilling with my Jack Daniels, fresh from the UK." When the thing was distilled, bottled and packaged at Njaba!

Owerre nushiri mmi daa.

9 Likes

Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by laivwire(m): 10:10am On Nov 23, 2013
Imagine. He still got the liver to talk. I thought nafdac carries out periodic inspection of companies registered under them. This just exposes their half baked procedures of 'safeguarding the health of the nation'

7 Likes

Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by Lakayanah: 10:12am On Nov 23, 2013
If you've ever used your money to buy these fake wines you would swear for anyone behind it. They taste like horrible cough syrup.

1 Like

Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by skullz: 10:19am On Nov 23, 2013
grin
Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by Littlehooper: 10:20am On Nov 23, 2013
donphilopus: Have you started??

WHAT DID I START?
I COMMENT BASED ON WHAT HAPPEN..
TRUTH IS BITTER

3 Likes

Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by SwitnessA(m): 10:23am On Nov 23, 2013
Thank God i don't do alcohol. cool

1 Like

Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by IAMBREEZY: 10:26am On Nov 23, 2013
thank God i don't do plonk so disgusting.
Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 23, 2013
I dont see a problem with this man, i believe he shouldnt be condemned, let the government of imo state support him and endorse this as locally made wine, let us start from there.

As to his products that are contaminated, they shoukd carry out a proper lab test to see if it were true.

FOREIGN ITEMS TOO ARE DEADLY.

Soome years ago, aspirin company were carrying out a research about hiv aids, and accidentally got their tablets infected with hiv virus.

The tablets infected was worth more than 56million dollars. Aspirin knew about this, instead of them to destroy the drugs, they shipped to poor regions in asia and africa in other to make more profit.

The world is a mess........lets start working on our selves.

2 Likes

Re: Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:34am On Nov 23, 2013
Tribal Warriors get your weapons ready. The battle commences soon.

In the name of Amadioha and Shango, let the the Battle Begin! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lovers Pretend To Be Abducted In Akwa Ibom, Seek N4 Million From Family / Yuletide: Police Starts 24-hours Surveillance Of 3rd Mainland Bridge / Insecurity: Ijaw Youths Push For Security Outfit In Niger Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.