Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,417 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' (986 Views)

Misconception: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' / Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by Rilwayne001: 4:20pm On Nov 23, 2013
Misconception: Islam and The Quran promotes
'jihad' or 'holy war'

Background: Some think that the term "jihad" means
"holy war" and it is a requirement which all Muslims
must engage in.

'jihad' is a common Arabic word meaning to strive/
struggle or exert effort, and is used in different ways
depending on context in The Quran. We learn from The
Quran that believers must be willing to exert effort in
the cause of God, using their wealth and themselves.
This effort/jihad may or may not include fighting. It
does not have an exclusive meaning of 'holy war' or
'fighting', as shown below.

An example in The Quran where 'jihad' refers to giving
'effort' as charity as opposed to giving money/objects as
charity:

It is these (hypocrites) who find fault with such of the
believers who give generously in charity, and they find
fault with such believers who have nothing to give but
their effort, God disdains them, and they will have a
painful retribution. [9:79]

An example in The Quran where 'jihad' can mean
parents 'striving' to change the beliefs of their children.
Please note, even in such circumstances believers are
still asked to treat them amicably:

If they strive to make you set up any partners besides
Me, then do not obey them. But continue to treat them
amicably in this world. You shall follow only the path of
those who have sought Me. Ultimately, you all return to
Me, then I will inform you of everything you have done.
[31:15]

In the following verses of The Quran, striving/jihad in
God's cause leading to guidance is contrasted to turning
away from the truth and fabricating lies about God:

Who is more evil than one who fabricates lies and
attributes them to God, or denies the truth when it
comes to him? Is there not a place in Hell for those
who deny the truth? As for those who strive in Our
cause, We will guide them to Our paths. For God is with
the pious. [29:68-69]

The only time a 'great jihad' is mentioned in The Quran
is in the following verse and it refers to striving against
those who deny the truth with the message of truth:

And if We wish, We could send to every town a warner.
So do not obey those who deny the truth, and strive
against them with it (The Quran) in a great striving.
[25:51-52]

1 Like

Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by tbaba1234: 4:41pm On Nov 23, 2013
Jihad involves all that but also involves physical combat if the case arises.

Muslims engage in Jihad against their egos and desires, against injustice. Etc... It might require physical struggle too.

It is incorrect to limit the definition to just physical combat but it is also incorrect to ignore it.
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by mazaje(m): 5:16pm On Nov 24, 2013
^^

Greetings Tbaba123, how have you been?. . .Hope you are good?. . .

1 Like

Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by tbaba1234: 8:33am On Nov 28, 2013
mazaje: ^^

Greetings Tbaba123, how have you been?. . .Hope you are good?. . .

I am good. You?

1 Like

Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by khattab02: 9:58pm On Dec 01, 2013
Jazakallah. Nice thread though I intended opening a thread similar to this though. Just hope many will learn from it and clear their misconceptions.
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by cloudstar: 9:46pm On Dec 02, 2013
tbaba1234: Jihad involves all that but also involves physical combat if the case arises.

Muslims engage in Jihad against their egos and desires, against injustice. Etc... It might require physical struggle too.

It is incorrect to limit the definition to just physical combat but it is also incorrect to ignore it.

An honest statement
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by cloudstar: 9:47pm On Dec 02, 2013
khattab02: Jazakallah. Nice thread though I intended opening a thread similar to this though. Just hope many will learn from it and clear their conception.

What conception will that be?
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by Rilwayne001: 8:44am On Dec 04, 2013
cloudstar:

An honest statement

And you are a clownstar

Kuz You have refused to learn
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by cloudstar: 5:25pm On Dec 04, 2013
Rilwayne001:

And you are a clownstar

Kuz You have refused to learn

Are you saying, jihad is only a personal struggle with oneself?
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by khattab02: 10:00pm On Dec 07, 2013
cloudstar:

What conception will that be?
ooops! Mistake, wanted to write misconceptions. Misconceptions of what the meaning of the word ''Jihad'' is.
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by khattab02: 10:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
cloudstar:

Are you saying, jihad is only a personal struggle with oneself?
No, read the Op again you will know the different contexts the word ''jihad'' had been used.
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by cloudstar: 5:38pm On Dec 09, 2013
khattab02: No, read the Op again you will know the different contexts the word ''jihad'' had been used.

I agree that jihad can be used in several/different contexts; that is a no brainer. However, there is an "personal jihad", there is "defensive jihad" and even though some muslims don't want to admit it, there is "offensive jihad".

If you are open to debating these issues, I will be happy to engage you.
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by khattab02: 8:18pm On Dec 15, 2013
cloudstar:

I agree that jihad can be used in several/different contexts; that is a no brainer. However, there is an "personal jihad", there is "defensive jihad" and even though some muslims don't want to admit it, there is "offensive jihad".

If you are open to debating these issues, I will be happy to engage you.
Lol. Well I don't really know what u meant by offensive Jihad? Please lecture me.
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by cloudstar: 10:35pm On Dec 16, 2013
khattab02: Lol. Well I don't really know what u meant by offensive Jihad? Please lecture me.

Learn to read the muslim holy texts:

Sahih al-Bukhari 6924 — Muhammad said: “I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: La ilaha illallah (none has the right to be worshipped but Allah), and whoever said La ilaha illahllah, Allah will save his property and his life from me.”

Sahih Muslim 30 — Muhammad said: “I have been commanded to fight against people so long as they do not declare that there is no god but Allah.”

Why is Mohammed fighting others to believe in his religion?
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by khattab02: 12:13am On Dec 17, 2013
cloudstar:

Learn to read the muslim holy texts:

Sahih al-Bukhari 6924 — Muhammad said: “I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: La ilaha illallah (none has the right to be worshipped but Allah), and whoever said La ilaha illahllah, Allah will save his property and his life from me.”

Sahih Muslim 30 — Muhammad said: “I have been commanded to fight against people so long as they do not declare that there is no god but Allah.”

Why is Mohammed fighting others to believe in his religion?
bravoo..bravooo cloudstar. I knew you will come up with these. In sha Allah, I will reply u by morning in sha Allah. It a very kold and freezy night here.
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by khattab02: 12:02pm On Dec 19, 2013
sorry for the delay cloudstar. Now the term ''people'' here is not refering to all humanity. Ibn taymiyah says: '' it refers to fighting those who are waging war against us, whom Allah has permitted us to fight. It does not refer to those who have covenant with us whom Allah commands us to fulfil our covenant.'' majmu al-Fatawa(19/20). Islam commands the muslims to be just with people of other faiths be it jews, christians, or pagans. Islam calls the muslims to deal kindly with them and try to win their hearts as long as they do not take up arms against you. Allah says: ''Allah forbids you not with regards to those who neither fight you for your faith nor drive you away from your homes from dealing kindly and justly with them. For Allah loves those who are just.'' Al-Qur'an 60:8-9.
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by blakky97(m): 5:16pm On Dec 19, 2013
Read Osama Bin Laden's letter to America

I really love him.
Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by cloudstar: 10:22pm On Dec 19, 2013
blakky97: Read Osama Bin Laden's letter to America

I really love him.

Be careful what you wish for - Seal Team 6 might just visit you. And you know what that means right - bottom of the sea for you grin

1 Like

Re: Islam And The Quran Promotes'jihad' Or 'holy War' by cloudstar: 5:49am On Dec 24, 2013
khattab02: sorry for the delay cloudstar. Now the term ''people'' here is not refering to all humanity. Ibn taymiyah says: '' it refers to fighting those who are waging war against us, whom Allah has permitted us to fight. It does not refer to those who have covenant with us whom Allah commands us to fulfil our covenant.'' majmu al-Fatawa(19/20). Islam commands the muslims to be just with people of other faiths be it jews, christians, or pagans. Islam calls the muslims to deal kindly with them and try to win their hearts as long as they do not take up arms against you. Allah says: ''Allah forbids you not with regards to those who neither fight you for your faith nor drive you away from your homes from dealing kindly and justly with them. For Allah loves those who are just.'' Al-Qur'an 60:8-9.

Then the question is, who has Allah permitted you to fight. Look at the atrocities the Sunnis are committing against the Shiite/Shia in Iraq and other places? Look at how the Muslim brotherhood is burning Coptic churches in Egypt and killing defenseless Christians? Are these defenseless civilians waging war against the Muslim Brotherhood?

What convenant are you referring to? You want others to be have dhimmi status and be subjugated before their blood won't be shed by you? Islam commands you to fight and kill the people of other faiths Bros - you can't deny that. Islam is awashed with violence between sects and then against other religions. Please don't feel you are talking to someone ignorant.

(1) (Reply)

Why I Chose To Be A Muslim In My Family. / In Response To The West Description Of Islamic Paradise / How Muslims Should Respond to Hatred Comments On The Prophet (SAW).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.