Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? (23351 Views)

Well Built & Tastefully House For Sale @ Ifo, Ogun State For #15m. / Well Built 20rooms Self Contain Hostel Located In Ekosodin Uniben For Sale #19M / BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 24, 2013
I haven't. undecided

In fact if I were to base my entire knowledge of Africa on what I see on those channels, I wouldn't believe there was a single storey building standing in the entire African continent.

No wonder when I travel abroad many people ask me questions like: ''Do you have cars in Nigeria?'' ''Do you live in proper houses there?'' ''Wow! You mean you have computers there? Phones too?? Internet! I had no idea!''

Or if they don't ask, they generally give you this condescending look that says ''we know you must be glad to escape your mud hut and lions to come out here... and we know you're not thinking of going back.''.

Quite sad really. This distorted image of the continent accounts for much of the racism and prejudice faced by Africans across the globe.

38 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by againstGEJ(m): 10:06am On Nov 24, 2013
Reasons why I dont watch those stations, honestly.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by stanogb(m): 10:08am On Nov 24, 2013
Dont mind them...they always paint us bad in the public domain... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 24, 2013
Other things I've never seen on western channels in relation to Africa:

- Tarred roads/expressways with cars on them
- Banks
- Universities/higher institutions
- High rises/skyscrapers
- Large numbers of well dressed, well-to-do people
- Traditional festivals
- Airports
- Nightclubs, restaurants, bars

etc etc

18 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by duni04(m): 11:10am On Nov 24, 2013
Spin-off of the angolan thread, not surprised at all. But we have tv stations here too. How come we only get to see pot holed roads and village houses on them too or are they in on the western propaganda too?
Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:27am On Nov 24, 2013
How do these station make a lot of money?
Thru ads? Yes but funny not entirely true.

There are so many charity organizations who seek for alms for Africa from wealthy individuals and organizations who has never stepped ot of europe.

These organizations or individals gives out so much cash as support for Africa!

Now tell me, how best to keep getting these cash if the world knws that Africa is not really that bad?

How do u say 100miilion nigerians are not destitudes and u still wanna collect alms for low cost housing estates and other alms?

So, the plot is getting a cable TV broadcast this 'truth' that 100million nigerians don't av access to toilet!

So, let's ask again,
How does CNN derive its income? Is it entirely thru ads?

26 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 24, 2013
duni04: Spin-off of the angolan thread, not surprised at all. But we have tv stations here too. How come we only get to see pot holed roads and village houses on them too or are they in on the western propaganda too?
Nahhh... It's a lot more balanced on local networks.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 24, 2013
SLIDE waxie: How do these station make a lot of money?
Thru ads? Yes but funny not entirely true.

There are so many charity organizations who seek for alms for Africa from wealthy individuals and organizations who has never stepped ot of europe.

These organizations or individals gives out so much cash as support for Africa!

Now tell me, how best to keep getting these cash if the world knws that Africa is not really that bad?

How do u say 100miilion nigerians are not destitudes and u still wanna collect alms for low cost housing estates and other alms?

So, the plot is getting a cable TV broadcast this 'truth' that 100million nigerians don't av access to toilet!

So, let's ask again,
How does CNN derive its income? Is it entirely thru ads?
Good points.
Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 24, 2013
Those idiots are hell bent on tarnishing our image.

How can be hating on us like this?

Perhaps, there's a great and mighty thing that they are trying to prevent delay from coming our way.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by theoctopus: 12:09pm On Nov 24, 2013
Spot on op. I have always known this. The "80% of Nigerian live on $1 a day" story was actually cooked up by an NGO in connection with the world bank. The sole purpose was to raise and embezzle money. The biggest problem of most Africans is that they think anything foreign is truth! If only they know the level of fraud and atrocities going on in the UN, World bank and the western nations

19 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by PHIPEX(m): 12:18pm On Nov 24, 2013
The extreme pessimism of Nigerians about Nigeria give credence to whatever evil the western media says about us. Some of us are so fast in believing every negative report about us but questions any positive news from Africa. Don't be surprised some Nigerians will agree with CNN if they say 90% of Nigerians are poor. It's what Chimamanda calls "The danger of a single story".

16 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by duni04(m): 12:22pm On Nov 24, 2013
theoctopus: Spot on op. I have always known this. The "80% of Nigerian live on $1 a day" story was actually cooked up by an NGO in connection with the world bank. The sole purpose was to raise and embezzle money. The biggest problem of most Africans is that they think anything foreign is truth! If only they know the level of fraud and atrocities going on in the UN, World bank and the western nations
I guess that's why we have thousands of nigerians queuing up at the gates of western embassies longing to escape from this utopia filled with high rise buildings and gold paved roads. Or the thousands more plying the hot sahara desert to Libya and Europe, to escape the torment of our high rise buildings and gold paved roads.

14 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by duni04(m): 12:29pm On Nov 24, 2013
ROSSIKE: Nahhh... It's a lot more balanced on local networks.
gringringrin
So I guess the onus is on d western media to balance every story on potholed roads and village huts with high rise buildings and paved roads, like u suppose our local stations do. Hw ridiculous
Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 24, 2013
duni04:
I guess that's why we have thousands of nigerians queuing up at the gates of western embassies longing to escape from this utopia filled with high rise buildings and gold paved roads. Or the thousands more plying the hot sahara desert to Libya and Europe, to escape the torment of our high rise buildings and gold paved roads.
Millions of Chinese and Indians have emigrated overseas as well. Even more than Africans. So that's no excuse.

9 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Nov 24, 2013
duni04:
So I guess the onus is on d western media to balance every story on potholed roads and village huts with high rise buildings and paved roads, like u suppose our local stations do. Hw ridiculous
How is it ridiculous? They show a balanced image of India, China, Chile, Burma, Philippines etc.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by browncool(m): 12:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
I think we allowed them to be filming the remote parts of our country and in Africa in general, however, CNN and BBC do not show those places like other channels such as NATGEO. and others will do. They usually make a whole documentary , they make you look so ashamed of Africa but main while, they will never show these things in Africa only outside Africa or better still developed countries
Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by 9jahubcom(m): 12:34pm On Nov 24, 2013
hmmm
Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Nov 24, 2013
They do, do you watch MarketPlace Africa? Sometimes they feature Lagos!

It is safe to say that majority of Africans are pooor, nd thats what the media is concerned about, MAJORITY.

AND THATS WHY THEY INTERVIEW THE COMMON NIGERIAN! NOT YOU THAT STAY AT LEKKI OR VI!

THE WESTERN MEDIA IS CONCERNED ABOUT THE MAJORITY. AFRICA IS A MESS!!!! period.

Its either you as a citizenis contributing to the mess, or you are part of the mess.

10 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by fittty(m): 12:34pm On Nov 24, 2013
So true! When about the Kenya WestGate mall attack broke, I was waiting in-line in a fast food here in the US and everyone was watching the news on the big flat screen tv, then a guy said " IDK 'bout any of you, but I'm surprised Kenya even has a mall" Then another lady who has toured Kenya months ago replied "And their toilets flush too".
It was so embarrassing!

8 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by alfredo4u(m): 12:35pm On Nov 24, 2013
End time channels

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by edababa007(m): 12:35pm On Nov 24, 2013
Cnn and bbc just dish out garbage. Never think anything good can come out of africa, asia and d middle east. I trust al jazeera and euronews for a little balance news. My take though.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by dridowu: 12:37pm On Nov 24, 2013
I prefer aljazeera dan does useless CNN & BBC dat show Africa as hell

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by duni04(m): 12:39pm On Nov 24, 2013
ROSSIKE: Millions of Chinese and Indians have emigrated overseas as well. Even more than Africans. So that's no excuse.
Its no excuse to show us the reasons why millions of Nigerians are running away from their country and flooding theirs? U think the BBC or the CNN for instance don't owe it to their home countries to explain why they are being inundated daily with the influx of econimic migrants from Nigeria? Maybe its even good for them to show high rises and excellent roads so potential asylum seekers from Nigeria will have a harder time explaining why they want to escape from their 'high rise utopia' to Europe and America.

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Psychedelia(m): 12:40pm On Nov 24, 2013
Then, Africans should play their own part, source funds from their wealthy elite, and build media houses they can use to push their own propaganda, tell their own stories and paint themselves in positive ways to the outside world; instead of leaving outsiders to define them.
China, at the moment, could give two shhitts about what CNN, BBC and the rest of those charlatans have to say about them, cuz they've got their own developed media houses to counter the bullshhit from those Occidental crooks. They keep spreading their tentacles to Africa, giving the West more reasons to sweat with each passing day.

Instead of complaining about unflattering portrayals, Africa should find her own voice and tell her OWN stories.

20 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 24, 2013
Bbc ke? Those worwor people

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Nov 24, 2013
duni04:
Its no excuse to show us the reasons why millions of Nigerians are running away from their country and flooding theirs? U think the BBC or the CNN for instance don't owe it to their home countries to explain why they are being inundated daily with the influx of econimic migrants from Nigeria? Maybe its even good for them to show high rises and excellent roads so potential asylum seekers from Nigeria will have a harder time explaining why they want to escape from their 'high rise utopia' to Europe and America.
Dude take your bullshiit and stick it where the sun don't shine. Only in your head did anyone mention "utopia". Not surprised that you are dodging the fact that millions of Chinese and Indians are also "flooding their country", yet are not glaringly misrepresented in their media. Why your focus on just Nigerians? Mr Double Standards.

10 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? by ZACHIE: 12:45pm On Nov 24, 2013
It is your fault folks. Not theirs.
How often do you take pictures of your lovely AfricN homes and upload?
How often do you write lovely stories about Africa and what it holds for mankind?
All you do is download stuffs of other places as if those places came to be as a result of your hardwork.
Pls, stop whining and show the world what you have.
The law of averages dictate that you willl have hits more by the frequency of what is seen in the media than what is unreported.
Yet, you all seat on your big bum expecting the rest of the world to showcase what you have while you do nothing.
Sucks.
Promote Africa first!

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Another Fire Outbreak In Dosunmu, Lagos Island / Hotel Building Collapses In Ibadan, 7 People Injured / After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.