Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,493 members, 7,830,491 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs (6438 Views)

Former President Jonathan Arrives To A Hero's Welcome / Patience Jonathan Arrives Abuja Aboard Emirates Airlines / Jonathan Arrives Otuoke Amidst Tight Security (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by yunglykmine(m): 3:10am On Nov 25, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday postponed his peace meeting with the seven aggrieved Peoples Democratic Party governors which was earlier scheduled  for Sunday.

Jonathan, who arrived the Presidential Wing of the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja from London around 7pm attributed his action to jet lag and “health challenges.”

But The PUNCH however gathered   that pressure from political hawks  made the President, who was in  London for the 15th meeting  of Nigeria’s  Honorary International Investors’ Council, to postpone the meeting.

It was learnt in Abuja that the hawks within the PDP,  who insisted that Jonathan should shelve the meeting,    also wanted the four suspended  leaders of the New PDP- Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, Alhaji Abubakar Kawu Baraje, Dr.  Sam Jaja and Ambassador Ibrahim Kazaure - expelled from the ruling party.

Our source said this could happen on or before Friday this week.

A reliably PDP source told one of our correspondents on Sunday that the need to have an enlarged secret caucus meeting with the President on the modalities to be adopted before taking a final decision on   “Oyinlola and others ” was  responsible for the President’s decision to shelve the Sunday meeting.

Some of the rebel governors  were said to have  arrived  in Abuja before the postponement  was announced  by Jonathan.

The President  became indisposed and had to be treated for severe abdominal pains while in London .

He had   missed  the opening of the London meeting based on doctors’ advice that he should take some days’ rest.

However, he   gave an indication  to  journalists on his arrival that the meeting with the rebel governors  might hold within the week.

The President said the peace moves would continue since political discussion is a continuous process.

Jonathan said, “I don’t think I will be able to hold any meeting.You know six hours’ flight is quite a distance and also following from my health challenges;  but we will meet.”

When asked specifically on the next meeting date, the President said, “I don’t know. I am just coming in. I believe within the week, we will be able to meet.

“Politics is about discussion. We belong to the same political party. Even people from different political parties engage in political discussion  and  you know political discussion  is a continous process. So we will continue to discuss.”

For the first time, the President  also confirmed that the three-man administrative panel he instituted to investigate the N255m   bulletproof cars bought for the Minister of Aviation, Ms Stella Oduah, by the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, had submitted its report to him.

He however refused to say more on the matter.

“The committee I set up has submitted its report,” he simply said.

While confirming that he had some health challenges in London, Jonathan thanked God that he was now fit to resume work.

He also thanked Nigerians for their show of love during his 56th birthday that was held on Wednesday and during the period he was indisposed.

He said, “First,  let me thank and appreciate Nigerians for their  show of love and concern. On  Wednesday, even though I was in London,I read how people congratulated me, remembering my birthday that I don’t normally celebrate anyway. But people know, so they normally congratulate me and I read it  in the newspapers.

“I have to thank Nigerians, especially on the issue of my health. I really had some health challenges. I have to thank God again because of the concern shown by Nigerians and their love.

“Thank God that I am very okay to resume work, I believe from this night (Sunday).”

When asked whether the health challenge was a serious one, Jonathan said, “The most important thing is that I am back. You will expect that when you are holding a political office as the President of a country, anything that affects you attracts a lot of attention. That the President is sick  is enough   to cause apprehension.”

The President  also debunked insinuations that some ministers shunned the HIIC meeting in London, saying they were not meant to sit throughout  its duration.

He said the only minister who sat  through the meetings was that  of Trade and Investment, Olusegun Aganga,  who  served as the “warehouse” of the HIIC.

Jonathan was received  on arrival by top government officials, including the Ministers of the Federal Capital Territory, Senator Bala Mohammed  Onyeabuchi Chukwu(Health) ;   Caleb Olubolade(Police Affairs); Godsday Orubebe (Niger Delta Affairs);   Edem Duke (Culture and Tourism);  Emeka Wogu (Labour) ; and Viola Onwuliri (Supervising Minister of Foreign Affairs).

Others were the Secretary fo the Government of the Federation, Senator  Anyim Pius Anyim; and the  Chief of Staff, Mike Oghiadomhe.

http://www.punchng.com/news/ill-health-jonathan-postpones-meeting-with-rebel-govs/?

http://www.africanspotlight.com/2013/11/24/photos-president-jonathan-arrives-from-the-uk-confirms-meeting-with-rebel-governors/

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by ceo4eva: 3:16am On Nov 25, 2013
Welcome home sir

6 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Chelcy(f): 6:02am On Nov 25, 2013
Kul.........meanyl,Happy bdae in Arrearz.......we dey yhur baq Kampe
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by LMAyedun(m): 6:36am On Nov 25, 2013
ThankGod for you, Mr. President.

Hope you will meet with ASUU today sha... Nigeria students are more important than those losers called rebel Govs.

Rebels indeed

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by yunglykmine(m): 8:06am On Nov 25, 2013
L.M Ayedun..:
ThankGod for you, Mr. President.

Hope you will meet with ASUU today sha... Nigeria students are more important than those losers called rebel Govs.

Rebels indeed
I pray he meet with ASUU today because it doesn't appear Oga is fully recovered yet.
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Lautechgossip(m): 9:21am On Nov 25, 2013
Welcome man...
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by adrainuche(m): 9:21am On Nov 25, 2013
Make una leave this man for at least 20 mimutes na person pikin he be, Jonathan no fit even chop akara without say he no enter news, jonathan drink wine he enter news, jonathan get food poison he enter news !!!! Leave this man alone at least 24 hours @!!! Na human being like us !!! Thank you !!!

7 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Fresia01(f): 9:22am On Nov 25, 2013
I hope 4 our sake i.e d studntz, dt d meetn wit ASUU z nt also postponed!
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Lilimax(f): 9:22am On Nov 25, 2013
Welcome back Mr President.
Thank God for restoring your health.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by topsyking: 9:23am On Nov 25, 2013
if you are not strong physically and spiritually, you can not rule this country call nigeria.. i just pity this man GEJ.. check his last picture. he is getting really old..looking like 70yrs instead of 56yrs.. i fear hausa islamic tira mixed with juju.. day n night na him dem go they chant jonathan.... i just pity this man..if he allow pple to push him, he may lose his life at d end

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by NgeneUkwenu(f): 9:24am On Nov 25, 2013
Who cares!

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Tolexander: 9:25am On Nov 25, 2013
Welcome back home where there is the real kaikai and not the diluted ones that make one indisposed!
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 25, 2013
Welcome Sir, like the simplicity of your personality you've shown Nigerians how relaxed a president can be.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by ibrash600: 9:26am On Nov 25, 2013
Abeg meet with ASUU, and make dem call off d damn tin jare.... Wetin concern me wit G7 abi F9 dy call demsef... All of u na dsame..
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Nobody: 9:26am On Nov 25, 2013
What is G7? undecided
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Ukutsgp(m): 9:28am On Nov 25, 2013
How does this now affect ASUU strike. Abeg make una give better news jor
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Adesam09(m): 9:30am On Nov 25, 2013
Ok
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by HARDUBUY(m): 9:31am On Nov 25, 2013
welcome back.
Quickly meet with ASUU and pay them their money so we can go bck to skool.
Then review the report from your committee in which i expect you to FIRE Stella BMW Oduah.
lastly, if u like meet with the Govs.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by obalampard(m): 9:33am On Nov 25, 2013
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by 9jahubcom(m): 9:35am On Nov 25, 2013
ok wlcm
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by sgd: 9:35am On Nov 25, 2013
ok
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by kawkab: 9:38am On Nov 25, 2013
What time does the G7 Governors have to attend to their state matters considering the fact that they are always in one meeting or the others.

Recently the APC claimed that the G7 Governors would soon join their party. if ghe PDP is so dirty and bad as claimed by yhe G7 why don't they leave and join the APC, PDM or any other political group of their choice.

Gradually the G7 vs PDP conflict no longwr sounds good to the ears.
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by madeinnigeria: 9:43am On Nov 25, 2013
He needs to come down from mountain olympus cos nigerians are tired of this political krinkum krankum...no more political higgy hagga we say!
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by BabaO2: 9:48am On Nov 25, 2013
But what a coincidence, just a day after his birthday he had stomach bug from hangover. Last time also in Ethiopia he failed to appear for his presentation. This is not normal.
From childish attack of Abati, we can see that presidency was caught un-aware otherwise why asking sr for evidence?.
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by HARDUBUY(m): 9:51am On Nov 25, 2013
topsyking: if you are not strong physically and spiritually, you can not rule this country call nigeria.. i just pity this man GEJ.. check his last picture. he is getting really old..looking like 70yrs instead of 56yrs.. i fear hausa islamic tira mixed with juju.. day n night na him dem go they chant jonathan.... i just pity this man..if he allow pple to push him, he may lose his life at d end

Alas! you've displayed your ignorance abt politics.wasn't Gej aware of the challenges? hence, if he is sick and tired he should simply resign, afterall he hasnt being doing anything meaningful to the electorate. curroption is rampant in every sector under his administration.
must you abuse islam just because u want to make a statement. After you will say muslims are trouble makers. An unscrupulous Nigerian is what u are.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by passionate88: 10:02am On Nov 25, 2013
ASUU no wan gree o. Dm want gov to pay dm for d 4 months wey dm no lecture
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Superstar007(m): 10:04am On Nov 25, 2013
Welcome Sire
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by simdam500(m): 10:07am On Nov 25, 2013
Mr jona again dis mornin...

Pls wana laugh a little
Son: “ Daddy, I fell in love & want to date this
beautiful girl!”
Father: “That’s great son. Who is she?”
Son: “It’s Sandra, the neighbor’s daughter”
Father: “Ohhh I wish you hadn’t said that. I have to
tell u something son, but you must promise not to tell your mother. Sandra is actually your sister.”
The boy is naturally bummed out, but a couple of
months later.
Son: “Daddy, I fell in love again n she is even
hotter!”
Father: “That’s great son. Who is she?” Son: “It’s Angela, the other neighbor’s daughter.”
Father: “Ohhhh I wish you hadn’t said that.
Angela is also your sister.”
This went on couple of times and the son was so
mad, he went straight to his mother crying.
Son: “Mum, I am so mad at dad! I fell in love with six girls but I can’t date any of them because dad is
their father!”
The mother hugs him affectionately and says:
“My love, you can date whoever you want. Don’t
listen to him. He isn’t your father.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by cyril10(m): 10:25am On Nov 25, 2013
Welcome back home mr president may God in his love continue to guide you and your cabinet to lead the country well.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Symphony007: 10:29am On Nov 25, 2013
Look at how a whole secretary to the government of the federation is dressed to welcome his boss. Ayim pius is a disgrace. Can't he take a cue from emeka ayogwu?
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Dannylux: 10:42am On Nov 25, 2013
Being a leader isn't what it appears to be. I feel for you, Mr President.

From this to that, no rest. undecided
Re: President Jonathan Arrives From The UK, Postpones Meeting With G7 Govs by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 25, 2013
Welcome back sire, pls try and meet with ASUU 2day so we know our stance! Even if u can't, Sambo is always there, dat's wot makes him ur vice sire, he shul preside over d meetin wit ASUU dat's if u can't!

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What Ben Bruce Said Today About Disaster That Is About Hitting Nigeria(pics) / El Rufia's Wife Supports Son Who Threaten To Gang Rape Someone's Mother / Motion To Divide Nigeria Sets Senate House On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.