Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,420 members, 7,846,762 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

How To Read Without Falling Asleep - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Read Without Falling Asleep (1721 Views)

Help: I Am Having Diffculty Fallen Asleep / 13 Tricks For Falling Asleep Faster / Difficulty Falling Asleep - Why Can't We Just Doze Off? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Read Without Falling Asleep by Notion(m): 10:24am On Nov 26, 2013
I found it so disgusting, taking a book to read before some minute my brain begin to pass false information to my eyelid that i want to sleep. have notice if it is reading blog online, magazine, sport magazine and the rest i will never fall asleep. but when it come to reading books is difficult for me not giddy. i decide to make some research online and what i discover is actually working for me gradually, so i decided shared it to those that have similar challenge here.

Here are some suggestion i put into consideration and it works for me, hope it works for you.

Tip 1: Ask questions as you read.

Carry on a conversation with your book. When a new character is introduced, ask, who are they? What’s the book about as a whole? What message is the author writing to convey? What are the main ideas or arguments? Is the book true? What’s the book’s importance? These questions apply to everything you read. Reading is a conversation between you and the book. You probably don’t typically fall asleep mid-conversation unless you are narcoleptic. Approach the book in conversation instead of trying to upload it to your mind. Adler, Mortimer J., and Doren Charles. Van. How to Read a Book: the Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1972. Kindle, loc 859.

Practice: Pick a book and reread 10 pages. Read as slowly as you can tolerate. Take two minutes and think about the questions the book raises.

Tip 2: Read with a pencil in your hand.

Marking a book creates dialogue between yourself and the author. If you can imagine a mark, you can use it. There are no hard and fast rules. Highlight, make a vertical line at the margin to mark a block of text, make a star or asterisk (use this on the books top ten statements), number sequential points in the margin, write the number of other pages where the author makes the same point (cf – page # where same idea is discussed to mean compare to or refer to), circle key words or phrases, write in the margin or in any blank space you can find to record your own thoughts or otherwise take notes, and take notes in the front or end of the book after a complete reading to take ownership of your reading (simple as an outline or as complicated as your argument against the author’s position) (Adler and Van Doren loc 859).

Make the notes work for you. Develop your own system. Apply active reading and you won’t fall asleep. If you do, you risk jabbing a pencil in your eye.

Practice: Find a pencil on amazon.com, at a local store, or in a utility drawer. Ensure it makes a fine line. You have selected your reading pencil. Keep it with your books and with you whenever you read any way other than superficially. Pick a book and read 10 pages. Write in the margin any question raised while reading and try to underline any line that interests or impacts you. For now, don’t worry about why the portion you underline sticks out to you.

Tip 3: Tackle books beyond you.

“Good books are over your head; they would not be good for you if they were not.” (Adler and Van Doren loc 842)

To stay awake while you read you need encouragement. Challenge is a form of encouragement if you can avoid frustration. The more you tackle books beyond your current reading ability the more you learn about life. The ultimate goal is pleasure, but books please by helping you realize something new. Challenge yourself and concentrate

When I suggest a challenge I don’t mean immediately jump into the most difficult book you can imagine. Look at reading like a ladder. Climb the first rung before you progress to the top. There is no shame in reading something you understand most of with a little effort.

Practice: Is the book you’re reading challenging you? What would be a step up in difficulty, one rung up the ladder?

Do you have any tips for avoiding sleep while you read?

BONUS ADVICE – I’ve been surprised by how popular this archived post continues to be so I want to add a few more things to tips, some of which have been suggested in the comments as well.

1. Read standing up.

2. Read out loud.

3. Read on a treadmill or stationary bike.

4. Read for short bursts and sprint in between.

5. Read with others. See these two posts about reading with a partner or loved one: Reading and Writing in Relationships: How Partners Encourage Learning and Enjoyment ; How Reading Can Improve Your Love Life.

6. If you try all these and fail I would seek the help of a trained medical professional. You may have a treatable medical condition.
Re: How To Read Without Falling Asleep by whirlwind7(m): 10:44am On Nov 26, 2013
7. Read with your feet immersed in very cold water. If you do this and still fall asleep, then your case is beyond redemption!
Re: How To Read Without Falling Asleep by SniperOne: 10:47am On Nov 26, 2013
cool
Re: How To Read Without Falling Asleep by SniperOne: 10:51am On Nov 26, 2013
whirlwind7: 7. Read with your feet immersed in very cold water. If you do this and still fall asleep, then your case is beyond redemption!

If only water could transcend a natural law. tongue
Re: How To Read Without Falling Asleep by Notion(m): 10:52am On Nov 26, 2013
whirlwind7: 7. Read with your feet immersed in very cold water. If you do this and still fall asleep, then your case is beyond redemption!
thanks i will try that also.
Re: How To Read Without Falling Asleep by Notion(m): 11:37am On Nov 27, 2013
Sniper_One:

If only water could transcend a natural law. tongue
LOL
Re: How To Read Without Falling Asleep by SniperOne: 11:50am On Nov 27, 2013
Notion: LOL
Mate, It's not an easy feat to trade dormancy with anything else wink

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help....having Problem Of Remembering What I Read / Health Benefits Of Nigerian Star Apple / How Can I Cure My Indigestion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.