Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview (11115 Views)

7 Major Reasons Why You Should Avoid Sending Your Resume To Recruiters / BAT Nigeria Sending Text Message / Thank U Note After Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by bonnyguy: 1:51pm On Jul 22, 2008
Nairalanders,

Is it good to send a thank you note after an interview?

Is it allowed, and what is your view?
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by simonseez: 4:27pm On Jul 22, 2008
i dont know bout a thank you note anyway, but i attented an interview with nestle recently and i sent a thank you text to HR after my first interview and i got invited for a second.

if u send one, i think just dont make it seem as if u are a soliciting desperately for the job.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by Aladunni(f): 4:57pm On Jul 22, 2008
simon seez:

i don't know bout a thank you note anyway, but i attented an interview with nestle recently and i sent a thank you text to HR after my first interview and i got invited for a second.

if u send one, i think just don't make it seem as if u are a soliciting desperately for the job.

what will that tone be like?

Because my view is, "soliciting for favour"
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by youngdigi(m): 5:00pm On Jul 22, 2008
DO NOT send a thank you note. I am assuming you said thank you right after the interview anyway. If I am interviewing you and you send me a thank you note/text after the interview, i will think you are desperate, which is not a good look

think about it, if you feel u are qualified for the job, what are you thanking them for? for filling in a space in the company or for you making the company a better 1? if anything they should be thanking you for bringing your expertise to their company out of over 1000 jobs in nigeria grin
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:03pm On Jul 22, 2008
I think thats like going over board.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by rubi(f): 5:11pm On Jul 22, 2008
Thank you note is very very important and neccessary beacuse it tells the person who interviewed you that your really appreciate his/her time spent in interviewing you and believe he/she will keep it in your file when any other job opening comes up you will be one of the people who will be notified even before it goes out to advertisement it works
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by BangBang2(m): 5:14pm On Jul 22, 2008
i dont agree with some posters on this thread but everyone is entitled to thier opinions

it is a good-way to show professionalism and courtesy if a thank you note, mostly via email, is sent across after an interview

here in the UK it is a clincher most times to say "Thank you very much for your time today at the interview" after the interview

i dont know the case in Nigeria but a professional HR person or interviewer wont see it as any harm

it wont cost an interviewee the job to be honest

as long as it is precise, jargon-free and kept simple, it is ok and should be allowed!

no one would deny you a job for saying thank you after an interview!!

(talking from experience here!)

1 Like

Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by igbogolo: 5:23pm On Jul 22, 2008
my dear, go ahead and send the text
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by vislabraye(m): 5:33pm On Jul 22, 2008
Send a thank you? You can only do that after the job. Some of these recruiters could be funny, send them a "thank you" and you've shot your foot.  But it varies with individuals. Some may see it as being courteous with no string attatched. They should be the one to tell you , thank you
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by ayomifull(f): 5:43pm On Jul 22, 2008
I dont think its necessary, you need to say the 'thank you for your time' right there after the interview not sending a thank you after the interview. For what? and if 5 of them interviewed you will you send the text to all of them or choose one to send it to? I think a simple thank you to everyone there at the intvw should suffice
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by nedra: 6:17pm On Jul 22, 2008
pls dont do dat. i can only advice u get on ur knees and tell THE ONE who holds d hearts of kings. He is able to control their hearts in ur favour,
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by KarmaMod(f): 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2008
Yes it's very good.

The only time I dont do it is when it's a job that I ended up not wnating to be part of due to the interview

If it's a job you really wnat, i suggest a thank you email, make sure you thank every one you met with and once again lay emphasisi on why you believe you are fit for the job.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by ziga: 6:48pm On Jul 22, 2008
In Nigeria, where lots of things are done by lobbying, it might seem like you are asking for favors to some people. But professionally, its a courteous thing to do.

Anyway, if the interview went well and you are being considered for the position, the thank you email might do a lot of good. On the other hand, if you are not being considered, you really have nothing to lose.

Send it.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by eduaustin(m): 6:59pm On Jul 22, 2008
@Poster,
Its a very good thing to send a thank you note/mail/or sms to your interviewers if you can get hold of their addresses. It goes a long way to set you apart from your peers and its a great sign of prfessionalism like someone rightly said. But its really not a common practice here in Nigeria. I have an interview 2moro and am gonna do same after the interview.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by kehindebad(m): 7:08pm On Jul 22, 2008
My dear send the "Thank You " note,
Lets be realistic, you dont get enough time during interviews
and you are often nervous too,

After my Interview, i wanted an edge,
i asked for the name of the lady that interviewed me,
and i sent her the note, the very next day,
send one, thank them for calling you for the interview,
expand a lot about a point they made about you,
and tell them again why you think you're better than the next fellow
see i tried it and it worked,
even though i sent the letter to the wrong person in the HR Dept

dont take my word for it, just try it

BTW, i'm in nigeria
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by KarmaMod(f): 7:11pm On Jul 22, 2008
This is why alot of people reccomend you asking for the interviewer's card when you are done.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by akara(m): 7:13pm On Jul 22, 2008
Might as well send some flowers and or Rolex watches with the Thank You Card.

Haba
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by kellyhand1: 8:02pm On Jul 22, 2008
I don't see anything bad in sending a thank you note, I think it's another chance of reminding the interviewer about yourelf.
What even stops you from lobbying or being forward?

There's a friend of mine who sent his CV to one of the Managers in ELF.It might interest you to know that the manager replied him and forwarded his CV to the HR dept. Also, there sre guys that have got jobs that way.

My friend, increase your chances a step further than your fellow applicants by your appreciations,

Cheers.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by abasifo(m): 8:15pm On Jul 22, 2008
yes after an interview you can sent something like this
Dear

Thank you for the opportunity to visit with you and see your facilities last Wednesday. Both the interview and the tour made for an exciting and complete day.

I was particularly impressed with your warehousing procedures. Mr. Allen was so thorough in explaining your process to me, and I will be corresponding directly with him to express my appreciation. Incidentally, the process you use is quite similar to one I have been researching through an independent study this term. Perhaps I can share my final report with you and Mr. Allen.

The expense report you requested is enclosed.

Again, thank you for your hospitality during my visit and for all your efforts to arrange my visit. Having seen your operation, I am all the more enthused about the career opportunity that Sheldon Computers and Electronics offers. I look forward to your decision.

Sincerely,
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by sbucareer(f): 8:39pm On Jul 22, 2008

Thank you email or a phone call immediately after your interview is a good and positive attitude towards the employer for showing appreciation and time taken to see you and interview you.

Sometimes, the interview becomes very close and the only way to make an impact is that simple thank you note.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by SMC(f): 9:26pm On Jul 22, 2008
@ Poster, I do think that generally it is a No No. If it was an informal interview, then it may be okay but strictly professional? The answer is No. It might be interpreted that you are trying to sway the interviewer.

On the other hand though, if it was a high end top managementl job where the headhunters/ new potential employers want you desperately and are trying to woo/steal you away from your great job, then it is not only acceptable but is a good sign (of confidence etc) when you send a thank you letter. (But somehow, I assume you are not enquiring about top management job interviews)
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by CyberG: 10:08pm On Jul 22, 2008
Interesting, I find that in Naija, things are usually different! I can not imagine any job interviewee who thinks it is a "No no" to send a "Thank you" note! This shows courtesy and that you are really interested in the position while appreciating the time of your interviewers. But the value system in Naija is just a different kettle of fish, so this is just my own two cents!

I am sure in a lot of developed and progressive countries, it is the norm. In close interview situations, the extra gesture of writing a "thank you" email while buttressing your stong points at the interview is always a plus. I am certain HR and Recruitment Managers who are current with global trends will immediately recognize that you are in touch with global practices. However, remember to keep it short, to the point, formal and sweet. Do not try to "Nigerianize" the letter by begging, being suggestive or appearing desperate. This would surely hurt you than help you. Google for sample letters to help and give you ideas and do not copy exactly grin from any site! Some other person may be doing the same, so it would appear that both of you are still copying long after school! OMG! grin

Now to the one who wrote "please don't do that. i can only advice u get on your knees and tell THE ONE who holds d hearts of kings. He is able to control their hearts in your favour,", you need not spiritualize everything. Pray, that is good but remember God also has placed authorities on earth, maybe good or bad! But you will still have to answer to them at your interview and when you get the job. Write a "Thank you" letter by all means, be professional. If you must, write one to God too and then relax! I wish you all the best!
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by tpia: 10:30pm On Jul 22, 2008
If you're based abroad, its okay to send a thank you note. It shows good manners and gives the employers a positive impression of you.

It seems people are saying that in Nigeria, sending a thank you note would be a negative. hmm- that's interesting.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by Queenisha: 10:40pm On Jul 22, 2008
KarmaMod:

Yes it's very good.

The only time I don't do it is when it's a job that I ended up not wnating to be part of due to the interview

If it's a job you really wnat, i suggest a thank you email, make sure you thank every one you met with and once again lay emphasisi on why you believe you are fit for the job.

I was just about to say this before I read it from you.

@ poster, here in the USA if you need that job, it's suicidal not to send a note, letter or e-mail not more than 48 hours after your interview.
Make it very short with no spelling errors.
Thank the person for meeting with you and also remember to extend your greeting to the secretary,executive assistant and any other surbordinates at the office that helped cordinate your interview process.
Make sure to mention them by name.

e.g.

Please extend my warm greetings to Ms Debbie Reynolds, your secretary who co-ordinated my visit and lodging arrangements.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by arogbowei: 11:02pm On Jul 22, 2008
Thank you note is quite in order, it shows that you're thoughtful and put you in the good book of your would be employer. I sent one after my first job interview, and it served as the clincher.
By all means be thoughtful and send one, remember to lay emphasis on why you think you're the one for the job.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by debojyde(m): 11:57pm On Jul 22, 2008
The way things work in naija!!?? imagine pple telling u a thank u letter is wrong. My advise for u is send a thank u letter by mail(express nipost) should,nt cost much(about 500naira or less). Make it professional and use this nice cncord papers and envelopes. U can check templates on the internet and make it very brief, thank whoever interviewed u for taking the time of his busy schedule to see u on so so so day, Tell him what u enjoyed about what he told u about d company during d interview, be specific( i assume your interview was 2 sided i.e u also asked questions and didn,t just sit there just answering questions without turning d interview into a discussion.), tell him what else u like about d company and why u think u are suitable for d job, and end with u really hope u will be working with him in d near future.

U have to learn to be proactive, believe me if d letter doesn,t help, it definitely won,t hurt your chances. U never can say, if it comes down to choosing 1 more person and there are about 20 of u left with the same qualifications( connections i.e "man know man", grades, work experience, interview performance, etc) dat letter might just make u stand out, Since aboout 1 out of 1000 write thank you letters in naija, believe me d recipient of ur letter will be impressed. Send a mail 2 me if u want samples of my thank u letters(debojyde@yahoo.com)
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by debojyde(m): 12:06am On Jul 23, 2008
ur name and add

mr so so, name and add

Dear Mr so so
LETTER OF GRATITUDE
I would like to thank you again for interviewing me for the Medicine Residency Program on November 28, 2007. It was a great pleasure to meet you and learn more about the program. I was particularly impressed with what you told me about the high priority given to teaching and clinical care in the program.
During the hospital tour, I was highly impressed by the range of training facilities on ground, the interaction with other residency programs, the diversity of the patient population and the commitment of the program to health care needs of disadvantaged communities. The faculty, residents and staff were very nice and friendly. For these reasons and more, I have decided that University Hospital Medicine Residency Program will be the best place for me to continue my training. I hope you will seriously consider me for a residency position.
Thank you once again for offering me a chance to visit your program and meet with you. If you have any questions whatsoever or would like any further information to complement my application, please do not hesitate to contact me at phone no or at email . I look forward to the opportunity of working with you in future.

Sincerely
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by Ndipe(m): 1:32am On Jul 23, 2008
One may view it as 'desperado' on your part if you send a thank you letter. Still, it's accepted as a courtesy to do so. For me, I'd advise against doing so. If they call you back, that's fine, if not, so be it.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by Queenisha: 1:34am On Jul 23, 2008
Ndipe:

One may view it as 'desperado' on your part if you send a thank you letter. Still, it's accepted as a courtesy to do so. For me, I'd advise against doing so. If they call you back, that's fine, if not, so be it.

If you've stood in line waiting for a residency position for years to no avail,no one will tell you to change that postion ,dear.
Sucking up works and it doesn't cost a thing.
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by Queenisha: 1:36am On Jul 23, 2008
debojyde:

your name and add

mr so so, name and add

Dear Mr so so
LETTER OF GRATITUDE
I would like to thank you again for interviewing me for the Medicine Residency Program on November 28, 2007. It was a great pleasure to meet you and learn more about the program. I was particularly impressed with what you told me about the high priority given to teaching and clinical care in the program.
During the hospital tour, I was highly impressed by the range of training facilities on ground, the interaction with other residency programs, the diversity of the patient population and the commitment of the program to health care needs of disadvantaged communities. The faculty, residents and staff were very nice and friendly. For these reasons and more, I have decided that University Hospital Medicine Residency Program will be the best place for me to continue my training. I hope you will seriously consider me for a residency position.
Thank you once again for offering me a chance to visit your program and meet with you. If you have any questions whatsoever or would like any further information to complement my application, please do not hesitate to contact me at phone no or at email . I look forward to the opportunity of working with you in future.

Sincerely

Very common and very necessary
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by IsiomaIgwe(f): 3:22am On Jul 23, 2008
Yes a thank you letter is nice to send and here in America it is looked upon very favorably. It really makes you stand out in the crowd and can be a big help in persuading the interviewer or HR department to hire you. Also have a great resume, excellent references and dress neatly in business attire and you will do very well. Don't foget to sell yourself! Good luck!
Re: Sending A Thank You Note After A Job Interview by SeanT21(f): 3:24am On Jul 23, 2008
Thank you letter in America is good if you want to get the Job. It shows the employer that you are sinceer.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NESTOIL: 2018 Graduate Trainee Programme / 20,000 Jobs To Be Created As‎ Police To Launch Tv, Radio Services, Jan. 30 / Notore Chemical Industries Plc Graduate Trainee Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.