Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,751 members, 7,817,081 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? (903 Views)

Try This Business Is Profitable And Reliable / Do You Think ORIJIN Bitters Is Really A Healthy Drink? / Is Anything Wrong With Cooking Beans On Christmas Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? by lizu: 7:29am On Nov 27, 2013
What is really the issue in this business that make people opt in and opt out very fast...could it be d FUNDING alone or the RUDIMENTS that people don't understand that leads to waste of money and crash the business...let's discuss..expert in this field are needed.
Re: Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 27, 2013
I am no expert but I am so interested............
Closely following.

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? by lizu: 8:11am On Nov 27, 2013
Let me start with the issue of the pond itself...how are the ponds been built??.. It is very good to have at least a moderately deep pond, but what you see around today in most farms are just too shallow and all these has their own effect on your stuck...if any question is on this ask, so I can explain why it should be so n its effects.
Re: Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 27, 2013
@Lizu u seem to have moderate knowledge...
Let's say I am a new comer and I have my farm running already. How do I get my buyers so I don't end up eating my fishes...?
Re: Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? by lizu: 9:32am On Nov 27, 2013
@ bross, yeah..dats a good one, I will want you to know that fish farm business has over 30 business chains and its time calculating..some people are dealing with the buying of the fish, some are into feeds, some into fingerlings production, some into smoked fish, some buy and export e.t.c..as soon as the time has been set for example..you are to rear a particular set of fish for a month with a budgeted amount of money to get to a certain weight...(If you understand what I just said there...a calculated particular amount of money for a specific period of time to attain a particular weight)..let's say 2 and half months, then you don't have to wait till its 2month before u start scouting for buyers, you must have start your adverts as soon as your calculated time gets to half so as to get readily available buyers on ground. Hope you understand, so with this, you won't end up eating your fish yourself of even running into loss and folding up the business in no time
Re: Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? by lizu: 2:06pm On Nov 27, 2013
Building a moderately deep pond gives the fishes more and better chances of groeing well...for example, if a house is built for someone that has the tendency of growing tall or fat, and the house is so small or short in height, the occupant will be living in it uncomfortably and by so doing the growth of the occupant will be affected in a way due to his continous living in the house..( Just using this as an example)..so the deeper the pond the taller the habitat for the fish and the better chances of its growth...let's take this to be lesson 1...if there is anything that is not clear here, questions and critics are welcom
Re: Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? by lizu: 9:31am On Nov 28, 2013
I talked about the pond yesterday..but I feel we should move up to water today...
Water management...this is one criteria that can not be over looked..its very important and crucial, the water management is like have someone living in a house full of dirts, urine, defications and all, and the person is eating the best of food in the world..btw you and I, we know that the food cannot do any good to the person cos, the person will always be sick and unhealthy, by so doing the growth will be very abnormal..just an example, in the case of fish, the water habitat has to be clean always everytime...this has a lot to do with the growth of the livestocks..Free articles will be released later on this for people that wants to know what the business is all about. Questions nad critics are welcome
Re: Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? by cynhamscakes(f): 2:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
Speaking from experience ............

The major problem with fish farming is the specie of the fish. This is one big problem to fish farmers and many who don't have enough patience bail out after having a nasty money wasting experience with a bad batch of fishes.

When you are buying the fishes at the timberline stage, the farmer won't tell you i there are bad species among the batch be is selling to you. If you are unlucky and end up with more bad species than good ones in a batch, after 6months of thoroughly feeding them, you will end up with fishes with stunted growth.

Imagine if you were to sell a healthy sized fish for say #1000, because the fishes are dwarf, you will end up selling 5 for #1000.

Blood meal makes them grow fast but in the case of dwarfism, even if you like feed them blood meal for 2years, there won't be any change.

The solution to the prevention of this problem is to insist that the person supplying you the fingerlins supply you the species that have 100% tendency of healthy growth.

Lizu have talked about the pond so i will skip that.
Re: Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? by cynhamscakes(f): 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
Re: Fish Farming Business...what Is Really Wrong With This Business? by lizu: 3:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
@cynhamscakes...I really appreciate your conntribution here..the point you have raised is very important but I don't want you to mix up something very crutial here, we as a farmer, what we are sellign is weight not size...we are not road side fisher hawkers which is another chain in this business...so many people have been mislead by this so called seminar for fish farm...in 2 - 3months you can be a millionaire, if I have my way I will want those people to be arrested and jailed...so aper the fishe selection its a vital criteria that cannot be overlooked and has to be treated as a whole topic...tnx for the contribution...questions and critics are welcome

(1) (Reply)

The Difference Is Clear: Guys Compare The Content In These Bottles. / ... / 12 Amazing Uses For The Banana!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.