Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,485 members, 7,826,833 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? (30800 Views)

Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder / Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking / How Does The First Three Months Looks Like In NDA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by nitrogen(m): 1:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
commante: greatings to u all for d contribution. d poster i wil say we ve d same career goal in common as me also is planning to become an invetment banker in future nd ve been tryin to work towards it. as i will be writing my final stage of ICAN dis nov diet and by God's grace i wil be resuming in my skul america for my[b] MBA program[/b] wit concentration on Finance mgt nd investment banking to complement my Bsc. Finance 4m unilorin afta wch i wil register for my CFA exam and CIS

Why MBA program now and not later?
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by kenilo: 11:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
LOOKING FOR A STYLISTS AND BARBERS FOR IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT at No 6 Olowu street Ikeja ''Be EXQUISTE UNISEX SALOON
send your age name and number and indicate your experience to 08074649215

Interview will be scheduled on 27/07/2014

Remuneration is very attractive
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Seroautos: 9:58pm On Aug 06, 2014
Stretch marks look really ugly makes you lower yourself confidence and make you feel unattractive.
You don't need to suffer through life feeling insecure because of stretch marks all the time. with this article you can get rid of stretch marks in just few weeks.visit www.ladieswinds.com get rid of your stretch marks now.
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by houseoftuition: 9:23pm On Aug 07, 2014
The core of investment banking is company valuation and risk management. It involves mergers and acquisition, private buy-out, venture capital(as in putting up funds for setting up an enterprise seen as risky, underwriting etc. It helps if you become a Chartered Financial Analyst and a Chartered Accountant. To be a CA, the fastest route is to use www.IcanLectures.com.ng where you can receive Ican Lectures at your convenience and your pass is guaranteed. For CFA, use Schweisers text though nothing is easy there. Cheers for all with this dream.

1 Like

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by eldersteve1: 1:01am On Aug 17, 2014
[size=14pt]Dont wait start an sms business today. Get your own Bulk SMS Website Within 24 Hours N10,000 only and buy cheap and reliable sms as
low as 0.70kobo or less
With:
Free User Guide, Free ebook on how to get over 2000bulksms
Free 500 Units
Free GSM Number Database of your state
We will give you free coaching to make money from the sms industry
visit www.smswholesellers.com, 08140970926

www.smswholesellers.com is the cheapest sms in nigeria, www.smswholesellers.com is the best sms in Nigeria with very wide client network, www.smswholesellers.com offers free sms API, www.smswholesellers.com sales bulk sms in Nigeria at a very cheap price of 0.65 kobo terms and condition applies. www.smswholesellers.com offers sms desktop application for free and can also configure and develop sms desktop and mobile application for your sms website.
[/size]
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by LAUREYJAY: 12:56pm On Aug 20, 2014
THE ENTREPRENEUR IN YOU
So went to ATARI and said,”Hey we’ve got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we’ll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary; we’ll come and work for you. And they said, “NO so then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, hey, we don’t need you. You haven’t gone through college yet.”

The above is the story by APPLE COMPUTER INC. Founder Steve jobs on attempt to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak’s highly innovative personal computers in a era of mainframe computers. The rest is history as Apple Computer Inc shook the computer world with the Apple PCs, beyond the imagination of Atari and HP.

What is my meaning? Not all eyes that looks sees, but the eyes that look with the intention of seeing.
Who is an Entrepreneur?

He sees opportunity, turns it into a business, creates value and mobilizes resources.
It is estimated that about 3 million people enters the labour market in Nigeria every year, most of these are graduates or dropouts from the various levels of the educational sector, it is widely accepted that about 10% of these graduates find jobs in formal sector. The vast majority of the remaining 90% are usually unemployed or underemployed for many years, with many drifting into the informal sector. It is also a well known fact that 20% of the employed lose their jobs every year in Nigeria.

Consequently, there is urgent need to think outside the box, we have the potentials to change this ugly trend and become employers of labour. You just need the right push, skill and information to unlock your creative abilities. You have always been your own boss, the problem is that you just have not looked inward and discover yourself. Nigeria has an amazing population for business ,Asian, Americans, and the entire Europe have taken advantage of our size and enriched themselves greatly ,how about you a son of the soil? How long would you keep passing up opportunities, procrastinating your wealth and dream life. Take a step today that will transform your life and your generations unborn, don’t let your children ask you: “where were you when others were making money”

Attend our free weekend seminars discover how you can become your own boss with as low as N10, 000. Week days Monday - Thursday @ 26/28 karimu laka st. Egbeda, off Egbeda bus-stop by 10 am prompt.
Don’t be left out, there are limited seats, send NAME, SEX AND LOCATION to 08183130584 to book a seat for free. Please no flashing, no African time.
This initiative is powered by: AGLOW STAR GLOBAL LIMITED, for serious mind individuals (employed, unemployed business men and women e.t.c )
NEVER DEPEND ON SINGLE INCOME MAKE INVESTMENT TO CREATE A SECOND SOURCE.

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by houseoftuition: 6:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
You can now get Chartered from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by davide470(m): 8:46pm On Aug 23, 2014
Where's everybody oo? CC: nitrogen, commante, unclerukus..
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by lahami(f): 9:01pm On Aug 25, 2014
davide470: Where's everybody oo? CC: nitrogen, commante, unclerukus..
oga I didn't hear from u again o.I sent u a mail did u see it?

1 Like

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by davide470(m): 9:04pm On Aug 25, 2014
lahami: oga I didn't hear from u again o.I sent u a mail did u see it?
No Ma'am. I didn't see your mail. Kindly resend
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by herotic: 4:11pm On Sep 09, 2014
Hi friend ,

Please take this serious , if you stay around this area kindly quickly drop your cv for interview , there is job vacancy in our company.

list of area needed .

1. ikorodu
2. surulere
3. mainland
4. oshodi
5. mushin/isolo
6. yaba
7. ketu
8. apapa wharf
9. orile
10. bariga

please if you dont stay / live in the location government mention above dont send cv i beg

send CV here : hr@ldilic.com

Good luck!!
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by olajobsmaster(m): 6:12pm On Sep 09, 2014
Nice one...

Investment Banking Career Opportunities » www./3VhR8m

Good luck!
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by exellent91(m): 12:16pm On Sep 10, 2014
Go to this website ralpheme. for free hollywood download,wwe and so on. first ten to begin a thread and follow the website will be used as admins
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by houseoftuition: 4:29pm On Sep 10, 2014
You can now get Chartered from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Warm Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Boriqua(m): 7:31am On Sep 17, 2014
houseoftuition: The core of investment banking is company valuation and risk management. It involves mergers and acquisition, private buy-out, venture capital(as in putting up funds for setting up an enterprise seen as risky, underwriting etc. It helps if you become a Chartered Financial Analyst and a Chartered Accountant. To be a CA, the fastest route is to use www.IcanLectures.com.ng where you can receive Ican Lectures at your convenience and your pass is guaranteed. For CFA, use Schweisers text though nothing is easy there. Cheers for all with this dream.
if you live in kubwa in the FCT and you are a christain business man or woman seeking for loan to promote or start a business(1milion to 10million)call now. ...08185060158.
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by CBNIM: 10:22pm On Oct 05, 2014
Click here www.corporatebusinesses..com for all the information you need to start your journey to investment banking.
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by blessedroveno(m): 2:46pm On Oct 06, 2014
I advise you get "vault guide to investment banking" it is a comprehensive introduction to investment banking.
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by gbolahanoluyemi(m): 9:11pm On Oct 12, 2014
STARTING YOUR BUSINESS IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE LAW

Starting a business can be a difficult step to take; potential entrepreneurs have lots of issues to worry about. The challenges of marketing, human resource and surviving in the economy usually top the list of most entrepreneurs.

However, as sweet as an entrepreneur’s marketing and business plan may appear, it could be destroyed by an incompetent legal framework. A good business plan should have a solid legal foundation. Failure to provide this foundation could throw away the capital planted by the entrepreneur and in some circumstances put him/her in jail.

Starting your Business

The first legal hurdle to race over at the starting point is incorporation/registration of business. At this point, it is essential to note that, am entrepreneur has two options. He/She could either incorporate a company or register a business name. The key difference is that, a company in the eye of the law is an artificial person having similar right like a normal human being while the business name is merely a license to carry on business under name.

Another difference is that a company cannot be formed by less than two persons while a business name can be formed by one person. In practice, business name is suitable for sole proprietorship, partnership, professional services, micro-risk investments and small scale business. The nature of the business will however determine which option is best for you. There are six different types of companies, kindly consult your Solicitor on advice as to which of the six types or business name is suitable for your business.

Should your business be a partnership, you may need a partnership agreement which will spell out your rights, obligations and entitlements under the business. However in cases of companies, the Memorandum and Articles of Association seems mostly sufficient, however you may in some instances need a shareholders agreement or a joint venture agreement. It is in the interest of your business that you seek professional advice from your Solicitor.

After Incorporation/Registration

Having incorporated/registered the business at the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), then the business takes legal shape. The next step is to consider if there is any statutory law, stipulating certain condition(s) for carrying on such business. For instance, in Lagos State, persons who intend to do business of selling motor vehicles or its parts must register within 30 days of commencement of such business (See Sections 1 & 2(1) of Motor Vehicle and Motor Vehicles Spare Parts Law of Lagos 2004)

To mention few of such businesses, a business of sand dredging in Lagos requires you to obtain permit from the office of the Special Adviser on Mineral Resources and Development, failing which, you will be liable for 6 months imprisonment or N1,000,000 fine (See Section 2 of Regulation of Sand Dealings and Dredging Operations Law 2004). Business of Estate agency also requires registration pursuant to Lagos State Estate Agency Regulatory Authority Law 2007. Failure to register as an Estate Agent in the case of an individual attracts a penalty of N100,000 and that of a company attracts a penalty of N500,000.

The Hotel Licensing Law of Lagos 2010(as amended) also requires persons in hotel and tourism center business to register pursuant to Section 4 of the Law and further renew their license annually. The law also provides regulations for running hotel and tourism business. An example of such regulation is a requirement to display license on a conspicuous place in the hotel. Please consult your Solicitor on legal advice/opinion as regards the requirement of law guiding your proposed business.

After complying with the registration and license requirements, then the next thing to do is to consider if what you sell (goods and service) falls under the goods taxable by the value added tax. If it does, then you have to register with the Federal Inland Revenue Service for VAT remittance. After all these, your business have taken legal shape, you now need those marketing and entrepreneurial skills to keep it moving at the pace you desire.

Definitely, you will be considering labour, you should then consider the provisions of the 2014 Pensions Act for regulations as to the deductions you will make from employees salary for remittance to their pension funds administrators. Consult a Solicitor of your choice to take you through these legal hurdles, so that you will be able to confidently certify you operate business in accordance with the law.

On a final note, as insignificant as it appear, book keeping and adequate record keeping is essential for every business. The keywords are that, you never can tell when you will need those documents, keep them well.

Thank you.

For further enquiries, please email omogbolahanoluyemi@gmail.com
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by mayo47(m): 1:58pm On Oct 25, 2014
Are CISI UK qualifications recognised in Nigeria?
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by justfree1(m): 4:45am On Nov 15, 2014
Job/work situation in Nigeria hardly gives people enough time for anything else, except weekends most times.
Most people would love to build an additional income source but timing is the problem.
I just found a way we could build an additional unlimited income source, part time even while we are at work.
interested? send me a message.
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by AISHBAMBA: 7:11am On Dec 01, 2014

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 05, 2014
TD4real:
hey guys, plz i really need some serious advice on investment banking, its a ahame to say that i'm 21yrs old and currently doing my service year with a dream of becoming a banker but have no idea on how to go about it. i have never even met one before. by banker, i dont mean the custormer care, tellers, account officers or any other operational office, i am referring to the real bankers who deal with financial ratios and investment of the banks money. please i would like to know what it takes and what channels or routes i have to follow.

any investment banker in the house or anybody with some good ideas...........

I fink Google will help you more but please investment banking is different from commercial banking (gtb, uba e.t.c) there are no much investment banking organisation in Nigeria. dis can help tho.... chk d link

http://m.wisegeek.com/what-qualities-do-you-need-to-become-an-investment-banker.htm

http://www.careers-in-finance.com/ibskill.htm
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by LAUREYJAY: 12:11pm On Dec 08, 2014
Did you lose your job recently or for a long time now and almost frustrated of searching for a new one?

Have been searching for a job for at least two years since you graduated and you are tired of applying for a job without any positive outcome?

Are you looking for a second stream of income to compliment your low income job?

Are you tired of working long hours without commensurate income to show for your labour ?

And have you finally resolved to own your own business and live your dreams ?

Don't just keep dreaming without taking appropriate actions toward realizing your dreams. if you fall into any of the above classes worry No more.

Discover a business you can start up with as little as N25,000.00.
This business accounts for 50% of the GDP of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, generates 60% of the country's employment and accounts for 78% of all new job creation in USA. It does not require rent, no liabilities, you can chose your working hours and determine your income yourself. You are capable of generating six figure income within the first 3 months. mind you, your earnings have no LIMITS.

Successful people are only successful because they do all the things unsuccessful people don't do. Many of my esteemed readers are looking for a paid job,forgetting that someone has to think outside the box and come up with an idea from which they setup their own business and then employ people to work for them. Why don't you take an assured risk today to own your own business which you can operate from the comfort of your home for a start and guarantee the future of your generations unborn.If you have not lost confidence in yourself and really want to take your destiny in own hand and move on from this holocaust of employment in this country.

Join us in our weekly seminars. Every Wednesday of the week @ 2A IDIMU ROAD,MOKOLA BUSTOP, BEHIND BRT BUS STAND. Seminar fee N1,000 (inclusive of business guide). Make bookings by texting the full name on your deposit slip to 08183130584 or 08032393490 after making payment with the details below;
Acc name: Aglow star global limited.
Acc no: 0028615803
Diamond bank plc.
kindly come with your teller on your preferred Wednesday. Only 20 seats are available every week hurry now. Time 10am prompt.

Remember " your subconscious mind cannot tell the difference between truism and falsehood. You either convince yourself you will make it or convince yourself you won't. Thanks and remain blessed.
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by melakes(m): 10:32am On Dec 23, 2014
Make yourself suitable for that dream job.
Improve your skills!

CALL 08030433866 NOW!!!

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by EKPETI(m): 10:00pm On Dec 30, 2014
Lagbaja425:
I haven't read the previous posts so my apologies if any of what I say below has already been said:

First of all, I think it's great that you have some ambition. That really is the first and most important step. Secondly, investment bankers do not invest the bank's money. Let's just be clear on that now so you know exactly what it is you are trying to achieve.

I'm not too informed on the i-banking scene in Nigeria but I honestly believe you can get into any of good I-banking outfits with a decent undergraduate degree and some solid preparation for interviews/tests. Luckily there isn't that much emphasis placed on networking in Nigeria (when compared to the U.S for instance) so your academic track record and performance in interviews should be sufficient.

If on the other hand you want to play with the big boys on Wall Street (a feat that is by no means unattainable for you) and make $200K while working 120 hours a week, your most viable option is to get some credible work experience and apply to a solid business school in the US. Potential for leadership opportunities at work is probably more important than your pay check if you plan to apply to business school so choose wisely when you complete your NYSC. Also try to work at a company with a brand that is globally recognizable (PwC, EY, Deloitte > Zenith, FBN, UBA). After at least 3 years, apply to a top US b-school. When I say top, I mean top, do not waste your time and money applying to any school outside the top 10 if you want to even be looked at by a reputable bank. This is a link to some rankings published a few days ago: http://money.cnn.com/gallery/leadership/2013/12/02/top-10-mba-programs.fortune/

The best finance schools are probably Chicago Booth, Wharton or Columbia and if you can make it into any of these schools you will have more access to these banks than you ever thought possible. This is of course no guarantee of a job but it's more access than you would ever have otherwise. Typical U.S b-school offers a 2 year MBA. You will have the opportunity to intern at an investment bank over the summer between your first and second year of school and provided you don't do anything silly (like refer to investment banking as dealing with financial ratios and investing the bank's money) you should get a full time offer even before you start your second year. And just like that, you may achieve your goals. It is insanely competitive though so the fact you are at any of these schools is no guarantee of anything. The school provides the access, you have to play your part and work HARD!

And yes, a lot (not all) of the top schools in the U.S offer financial aid both in terms of merit based scholarships and loans that do not require a U.S guarantor so if you can succeed in getting in, lack of personal funding is typically not a deal breaker.

If you are sufficiently motivated, I'm happy to mentor you on your chosen path dude. I was just like you 6 years ago smiley Feel free to shoot me a personal message.

Good luck!

Pls,I will be glad if u ca mentor me. Pls, this is my email fekpeti@yahoo.com. I am seriously waiting for ur mail. U are abt to save a generation. Thanks!
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by justfree1(m): 12:48am On Dec 31, 2014
"The reason why most people face the future with apprehension instead of anticipation is because they don’t have it well designed." -- Jim Rohn
I am working on a new project, has unlimited income potential. I won't promise you much but you would make over $5000 monthly working the project between 6 to 12 months, and it won't affect your current job. I am simply looking for 10 success oriented persons that needs more money in 2015 to join me. Interested or needs more details send me a message.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please Come Suggest For Me / Military Requirement For Recruit: The Boot Camp Training / A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.