Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,191 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

Dear Yorubas, What Happened? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dear Yorubas, What Happened? (4441 Views)

Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 7:44pm On Jul 25, 2008
naija_diva:

that's the same thing that i try to explain to some nigerian parents. you compare an average american kid to an average nigerian kid born in america, you can definitely see the difference in their behavior. american kids can speak their mind which to some who are not american might consider rude. sometimes they are but most of the time they are not.
you are just farting from your nose. how did you come to the conclusion that most of the time when they speak back they are not being rude? when i see children at grocery stores and the likes screaming "whatever mom" , "you are just being a bitch mom", "mom you are such an asshole", how is that not disrespectful? continue turning a blind eye to these american punks you call outspoken children.

so so true. i went to school with a lot africans but mostly nigerians and i can truly say that once they hit high school, the drama surely begins. some of the friends i started high school with ended up somewhere else(either back in africa or to live with a "strict" relative in another part of the country) by the time i graduated because their parents thought that they were "getting out of control" only because they wanted to do after school activities or just do fun things. most of the parents think all you need is to read books and not have fun and that's not good. everything has to be balanced. period.
at least they usually turn out more successful than their black counterparts.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 7:49pm On Jul 25, 2008
chiogo:

@Dis Guy, thank you, jare. Culture coo, torture nee. That's why an average Nigerian kid cannot be compared to an average American kid. Nigerian kids grow up . . .what's the word?. . .timid(worse than that) all in the name of culture. They can be book-smart but not street-smart. What do u expect when you're flogged like an animal over petty things. When they get old, they feel like they lost out on childhood fun and that's when drama starts! Hahaha.
how did you jump to the conclusion that nigerian kids are timid because they are book smart? there is no correlation between the two. dashing across the streets of of nigeria, seeing the way people live, experiencing the atrocious living conditions, hopping on those severely damaged danfo buses is almost enough to make you street smart anywhere, so don't even bring that into question here.
instead of generalizing all nigerian kids, why not say it's those you have come across that act in that manner?  you don't need to be stupid to give respect to your elders when it is required.  if that means listening to them talk and then speaking your mind after, so be it.  engaging a war-of-words with your parents to assert that you are right does not mean you are outspoken, it just shows that you are a disrespectful, out of control child.  americans consider spanking disadvantageous, nigerians believe spanking works. different strokes for different folks.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by naijadiva2(f): 8:02pm On Jul 25, 2008
you are just farting from your nose.  how did you come to the conclusion that most of the time when they speak back they are not being rude?   when i see children at grocery stores and the likes screaming "whatever mom" , "you are just being a bitch mom", "mom you are such an asshole", how is that not disrespectful?  continue turning a blind eye to these american punks you call outspoken children.
when i said speaking your mind it doesn't mean cursing at your parents. i never said that a child can say "whatever" to his or her parents so you need to stop putting words in my mouth. american kids have more of a say of what they like, whether it happens their way or not. nigerian parents hardly let their children express themselves that's why when the child gets older and starts to acting up, the parents all of a sudden act surprise.

at least they usually turn out more successful than their black counterparts

who cares? why does everything have to end up being about race with you people. black is black.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 8:11pm On Jul 25, 2008
naija_diva:

when i said speaking your mind it doesn't mean cursing at your parents. i never said that a child can say "whatever" to his or her parents so you need to stop putting words in my mouth. american kids have more of a say of what they like, whether it happens their way or not. nigerian parents hardly let their children express themselves that's why when the child gets older and starts to acting up, the parents all of a sudden act surprise.
i gave you an example but you have a hard time accepting it. it is easy to say nigerian kids are timid, but when you are faced with the argument that outspoken american kids are worse you begin acting like i'm being unfair. you keep throwing out this meaningless subject of american kids having more of a say of what they like . . . where are you getting that from? i can show respect to my parents and still speak my mind if i have to. you have to understand when and how to put that into practice. "whatever mom i don't have to listen to you" is a stupid form of a say if you ask me. it's no wonder people think it's more difficult to punish your kids here. you american kids get way too much protection from the law. sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. but what do i know?

who cares? why does everything have to end up being about race with you people. black is black.
yea if you're living a lie.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by naijadiva2(f): 8:21pm On Jul 25, 2008
i gave you an example but you have a hard time accepting it
well next time you give an example how about you mention that it is an example

i gave you an example but you have a hard time accepting it. it is easy to say nigerian kids are timid, but when you are faced with the argument that outspoken american kids are worse you begin acting like i'm being unfair. you keep throwing out this meaningless subject of american kids having more of a say of what they like . . . where are you getting that from? i can show respect to my parents and still speak my mind if i have to. you have to understand when and how to put that into practice. "whatever mom i don't have to listen to you" is a stupid form of a say if you ask me. it's no wonder people think it's more difficult to punish your kids here. you american kids get way too much protection from the law. sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. but what do i know?

you're the one that's bringing respect and bad mouthing into this, 2 of which i never mentioned. true, you can speak your mind and show respect at the same time. but that's not what i was talking about right now.

yea if you're living a lie.
yea keep thinking the way you do, that's why certain people never move on.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 8:24pm On Jul 25, 2008
naija_diva:

well next time you give an example how about you mention that it is an example
it's the most commonly encountered example, so like duh i expected you to figure it out. why else did i put them in quotes.

you're the one that's bringing respect and bad mouthing into this, 2 of which i never mentioned. true, you can speak your mind and show respect at the same time. but that's not what i was talking about right now.
yea keep thinking the way you do, that's why certain people never move on.
and you and your friends brought the whole timid vs. outspoken jargon into the discussion. as if being outspoken proves that you are better off in the long run. hiss!
p.s. spanking works, i suggest you practice it with your children. wink my 2cents
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by naijadiva2(f): 8:30pm On Jul 25, 2008
it's the most commonly encountered example, so like duh i expected you to figure it out. why else did i put them in quotes.
the quotes were examples to what you were saying and not to what i was saying. but whatever i get it.

and you and your friends brought the whole timid vs. outspoken jargon into the discussion. as if being outspoken proves that you are better off in the long run. hiss!

never claimed it

p.s. spanking works, i suggest you practice it with your children. my 2cents
i know spanking works. *wonders how this fits into this conversation* shoot, when i see a misbehaved child i want' to spank them myself.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 10:09pm On Jul 25, 2008
i know spanking works. *wonders how this fits into this conversation* shoot, when i see a misbehaved child i want' to spank them myself.
it was said post scriptum. i only offered you my advise. lol. wink wink
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by chiogo(f): 11:20pm On Jul 25, 2008
@naija_diva, I cosign with ur post.

[Quote]how did you jump to the conclusion that nigerian kids are timid because they are book smart?  there is no correlation between the two.  dashing across the streets of of nigeria, seeing the way people live, experiencing the atrocious living conditions, hopping on those severely damaged danfo buses is almost enough to make you street smart anywhere, so don't even bring that into question here.
instead of generalizing all nigerian kids, why not say it's those you have come across that act in that manner?  you don't need to be stupid to give respect to your elders when it is required.  if that means listening to them talk and then speaking your mind after, so be it.  engaging a war-of-words with your parents to assert that you are right does not mean you are outspoken, it just shows that you are a disrespectful, out of control child.  americans consider spanking disadvantageous, nigerians believe spanking works. different strokes for different folks.[/quote]

Posted on: Today at 02:44:52 PM Posted by: HCH3COO

Ok, I agree there was a generalization on my part. However, seeing the ills in the Nigerian society such as hunger and poverty doesn't necessarily make one street-smart. The whole of America is not a bed of roses. Lots of people in America see such in their everyday lives.

What I meant when I said street smart is being confident and out-going in public. Can you compare the acting skills of a Nigerian kid to that of an American kid?. The few Nigerian movies I' ve watched which had kids in them, the kids were either too shy to face the camera or too quiet when talking. It all boils down to the way one is brought up. The olsen twins, what age did those kids start acting? They must have been less than 5 but look how smart they were at that young age. And you dare say being outspoken isn't good.

I don't believe spanking works. It does work sometimes but not always. Some people grow a backbone to pain, y'know. If it works so much, why doesn't all students in Nigeria graduate with flying colors after receiving all those spankings for failing a test or exam? Hope you get the point.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 11:44pm On Jul 25, 2008
Ok, I agree there was a generalization on my part. However, seeing the ills in the Nigerian society such as hunger and poverty doesn't necessarily make one street-smart. The whole of America is not a bed of roses. Lots of people in America see such in their everyday lives.
Granted that is partly true, how else does one become street smart?   I don't think you can come up with any statistics suggesting that American kids turn out to be more street smart than Nigerian kids.  Street smarts is one of those things that can be developed from what you experience and I know Naija kids suffer too much mayhem (not saying American kids don't' either).    But glad we got that corrected.
What I meant when I said street smart is being confident and out-going in public. Can you compare the acting skills of a Nigerian kid to that of an American kid? The few Nigerian movies I' ve watched which had kids in them, the kids were either too shy to face the camera or too quiet when talking. It all boils down to the way one is brought up. The olsen twins, what age did those kids start acting?
Abeg ooo no make me laugh here jare.   grin  grin  . We are here chatting about being street-smart and you are discussing movies.  Let's save nollywood episodes for another thread jor.

Maybe it boils down to the way one is brought up or it boils down to your talents as an actor.  The FEW you have watched.  Also speaking from experience, the many I have watched had kids who eased into acting and in my opinion perfected the roles assigned to them.  I am with you that acting in Nigeria can be awful at times but I don't see how that measures your ability to speak out when you need to or  your street smarts.  Also remember that actors make up a minute percentage of the overall population. Not all American kids act just like not all Nigerian kids act.   
They must have been less than 5 but look how smart they were at that young age. And you dare say being outspoken isn't good.
I dare say being outspoken depends on who you are as a person.  It means little when you are too outspoken for your own good, especially when your parents are attempting to point you in the right direction. Not all American kids are outspoken by the way. 
I don't believe spanking works. It does work sometimes but not always. Some people grow a backbone to pain, y'know. If it works so much, why doesn't all students in Nigeria graduate with flying colors after receiving all those spankings for failing a test or exam? Hope you get the point.
You are contradicting yourself.  you said you don't believe it works then you said it works sometimes.  Of course it works and I speak from experience.   It may not work on everybody, but that shouldn't be misinterpreted as not working at all.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by chiogo(f): 12:41am On Jul 26, 2008
[Quote]Abeg ooo no make me laugh here jare. . We are here chatting about being street-smart and you are discussing movies. Let's save nollywood episodes for another thread jor.[/quote]
Hahaha, ok.

[Quote] Maybe it boils down to the way one is brought up or it boils down to your talents as an actor. The FEW you have watched. Also speaking from experience, the many I have watched had kids who eased into acting and in my opinion perfected the roles assigned to them. I am with you that acting in Nigeria can be awful at times but I don't see how that measures your ability to speak out when you need to or your street smarts. Also remember that actors make up a minute percentage of the overall population. Not all American kids act just like not all Nigerian kids act[/quote]
Ha, the few I've watched is enough for me to know, please. The shy-est(is that a word?) or most reserved American kid actor can still not be compared to the Nigerian one, I'm sorry but it's true. I don't even watch much American movies either, am more into soaps. So, forget d population thingy. I think they're pretty equal in this case as I don't know much American kid actors either.

[Quote]You are contradicting yourself. you said you don't believe it works then you said it works sometimes. Of course it works and I speak from experience. It may not work on everybody, but that shouldn't be misinterpreted as not working at all[/quote]
Dude, you get my point, that's all that matters. The contradicting thingy was an error because I was posting in a rush.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by dreeldee: 12:43am On Jul 26, 2008
i thought this thread is dead and long buried undecided
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 12:51am On Jul 26, 2008
Ha, the few I've watched is enough for me to know, please. The shy-est(is that a word?) or most reserved American kid actor can still not be compared to the Nigerian one, I'm sorry but it's true. I don't even watch much American movies either, am more into soaps. So, forget d population thingy. I think they're pretty equal in this case as I don't know much American kid actors either.
Shiest is the superlative of shy.  Hummmm, I don't know what you serve to prove by comparing American actor to Naija actor.  I mentioned before that acting in nollywood is barely bearable.  Our area of discussion concerns street smarts.  You don't' need to be an actor/ress to be smart.  The same American kids who were smart when little grew up to do the stupidest of things, so you should think of another method of proving that Americans are superior because this one isnt' working o.

anyway let's talk of the stuff that actually interests you . . .
which soaps do you watch?  AMC, OLTL, GH . . . ?

Dude, you get my point, that's all that matters. The contradicting thingy was an error because I was posting in a rush.
yeah right. sure  undecided
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by chiogo(f): 1:04am On Jul 26, 2008
[Quote]. Shiest is the superlative of shy.[/quote] aiight, thanks!

[Quote] The same American kids who were smart when little grew up to do the stupidest of things, so you should think of another method of proving that Americans are superior because this one isnt' working o.[/quote]

Okk, you got me on that one. Haha, Lindsay Lohan.

[Quote] anyway let's talk of the stuff that actually interests you . . .
which soaps do you watch? AMC, OLTL, GH . . . ?[/quote]
What are those? Sorry, you're going to have to write those in full Cuz am not used to using acronyms for soaps. Hehehe.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 1:10am On Jul 26, 2008
Lol! @ lindsay lohan.

AMC = All My Children
OLTL = One Life to Live
GH = General Hospital
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by chiogo(f): 1:17am On Jul 26, 2008
Oops, I don't watch any of those. General hospital*. . . .been a long time.

Did I say soaps?? I meant TV shows, comedy! What was I thinkin? lipsrsealed
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 1:18am On Jul 26, 2008
chiogo:

Oops, I don't watch any of those. General hospitalbeen a long time.

Did I say soaps?? I meant TV shows, comedy! What was I thinkin? lipsrsealed

angry lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by chiogo(f): 1:24am On Jul 26, 2008
I didn't know guys watch soaps.undecided Anywayz, I confuse myself. I grew up watching soaps: passions, the young and the restless, ER, etc now, I don't watch 'em any more but I call comedy soaps still.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 1:27am On Jul 26, 2008
chiogo:

I didn't know guys watch soaps.undecided Anywayz, I confuse myself. I grew up watching soaps: passions, the young and the restless, ER, etc now, I don't watch 'em any more but I call comedy soaps still.
Confusing yourself blondie
I don't watch soaps. I did that to distract you from the topic - to start a conversation like this one we're having wink
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by chiogo(f): 1:37am On Jul 26, 2008
Blondie?? Nah, am far from that. Do I really gotta explain this? Here I go, I confuse myself by callin one thing another. When I'm thinkin 'tv shows' or 'comedy', am typing 'soaps'. Just like I confuse martin lawrence with Eddie murphy. I call the former d latter and vice-versa. I dunno why but I think martin looks like an Eddie and Eddie looks like a Martin. Weird, right?
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 2:34am On Jul 26, 2008
chiogo:

Blondie?? Nah, am far from that. Do I really gotta explain this? Here I go, I confuse myself by callin one thing another. When I'm thinkin 'tv shows' or 'comedy', am typing 'soaps'. Just like I confuse martin lawrence with Eddie murphy. I call the former d latter and vice-versa. I don't know why but I think martin looks like an Eddie and Eddie looks like a Martin. Weird, right?
Oh no dear you don't have to explain anything. Weird indeed. I guess your vision (or is it memory) has a transverse way of storing information in your head. . . or you have a funny way of explaining what you mean. Maybe you think eddie is a martin and martin is an eddie because they're both comedians. undecided
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by chiogo(f): 3:29am On Jul 26, 2008
Yeah, maybe.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 3:34am On Jul 26, 2008
I guess this ends the discussion then. Too bad tongue
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by chiogo(f): 3:37am On Jul 26, 2008
Yeah, sure.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 3:54am On Jul 26, 2008
:p
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by bluesky4(f): 11:28am On Jul 26, 2008
HCH3COO:

:p
/
r u doing a chamistry degree?
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 4:36pm On Jul 26, 2008
blue-sky:

/
r u doing a chamistry degree?
chemistry? maybe.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by bluesky4(f): 2:24am On Jul 27, 2008
HCH3COO:

chemistry? maybe.

sorry i meant chemistry, so is that a yes?
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 2:27am On Jul 27, 2008
Does kind of yes/no count too?
Are you a chemistry student or something
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by bluesky4(f): 2:33am On Jul 27, 2008
i was just looking at this topic yesterday, and came across ur 'name' and it brought me back to my chem days at skool. i even worked out what chemical u are.

yes n no, is a good enough answer for now.
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by HCH3COO: 2:36am On Jul 27, 2008
Silly. you worked out what sort of chemical I am. Does that make you like 40 years old or what? Wondering undecided
Re: Dear Yorubas, What Happened? by bluesky4(f): 2:37am On Jul 27, 2008
hahaha, so i have to be 40 to work out basic chemistry, chei what is the world coming to. b t w im half that age

grr sean, b t w means by the way, and not, between!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osole Ti Awon Agba Ba Ndini Lowo Ati Ri Ise See, Eyi Toku / What Is Your Blood Type? / Colonial Ali Igbo (Igbo Land) In Pictures (part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.