Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,728 members, 7,820,521 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

TROUBLE!! WHO SHOULD Get The Songwriting/producing Credit?? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / TROUBLE!! WHO SHOULD Get The Songwriting/producing Credit?? (601 Views)

The Negligence Of Songwriting In Nigeria / Music: P-square - Double Trouble Full Album Download / How To Start A Songwriting Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TROUBLE!! WHO SHOULD Get The Songwriting/producing Credit?? by chimajii: 9:57pm On Nov 27, 2013
well...it's not only Wande coal vs don jazzy, or Sean Tizzle vs soundSultan who are caughtUp in songwriting/producing Credit Drama.....

SOLANGE KNOWLES IS in the Middle of a Dirty back & forth blowout with The Producer Of Her New EP 'True'..apparently solo as she is popularly referred to wasnt having it when she learnt that the producer/co-producer of Her latest EP 'True' had done an interview stating that he wrote a certain song on the EP and also the fact he was being Given way too much credit by the Media for doing majority of the work on the EP........long story short...Solo Fired Back,saying it wasn't True *no pun intended*...

Reminder: just months ago Dawn Richards from Danity Kane called It Quits with her Producer Drew Scott for similar issue...

S/N: Though solange is known to write and produce majority of her work since way back..I gotta Think,Given The Track Record of The Knowles clan when it comes to songwriting Credit it becomes hard to call This One...

Which Begs the Question who should Get what?..

Most people or Nigerians who aren't familiar with how such stuff works would be quick to start Swinging for One side..IT would be necessary for me to State here that There is a Big Difference between>> Writing,co-writing & Contributing....
It is no longer a hidden Fact that most BigWigs in d Music Industry Muscle their way to get their name Slapped On the Writing Credit with just Minimal or Next to nothing INPUT...

Below are jst a few Quickies i cud give as examples....Y'all remember the Irreplaceable drama that took place between Beyonce & Ne-Yo... Not enough?? Also Beyonce changing the word ' smack' To 'smash' in her song 'Smash into U' and Bam! She got credit for it....there are many more instances but let me stop there.

As Much as tweaking a song here and there could lead to its betterment..Who should get what?? Shouldn't there be a Guideline as to who gets what?
Re: TROUBLE!! WHO SHOULD Get The Songwriting/producing Credit?? by Illuminatus(m): 10:45pm On Nov 27, 2013
Normally, songwriters should be credited for their work. So should producers. Of course, artists can write or co write and produce their songs. But it's really sad when artists steal songs.
Re: TROUBLE!! WHO SHOULD Get The Songwriting/producing Credit?? by overboard(m): 10:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
Major problem is, we are credits-phobic down here for reasons I can't understand. If you make a contribution to a song lyrically, say a line like:

I will love you forever/ til I die, break we'll never
and you helped or single handedly change the last line to:
til we die, us together...

You are basically inducted into the writing team. You can however pass if you don't feel there's a need to be credited. If you however ask for a share of publishing (usually not in Naija) along with crediting, you all can discuss the relevance of your input... It doesn't have to be a million bucks but in a structured setting, this works and everyone involved gets paid.

Most Naija peeps just feel they sould keep all the crediting and its sad. What would have been wrong in Wande Cole simply acknowledging DJ as a writer (for the most part) of Babayface? or Tuface addressing the African Queen palava with Blackface? Some people can negotiate to be paid by points, very little portion of a songs sale. I mean producers and engineers sef do that. It only speaks well of you to share what was used to help you. That's why I always felt PSquare never did well to bottle up Waje when they could have been credited without qualms for introducing Waje to the world.
Re: TROUBLE!! WHO SHOULD Get The Songwriting/producing Credit?? by chimajii: 4:28pm On Nov 29, 2013
^^^ My man...that is clearly not the case even though ya said nothing but the truth!...and what pains me...is when the said album/EP in question is that Persons best work to date.....Terrible I tell U...they need to find a way round it....

(1) (Reply)

Spanish Version Of Wizkid’s ‘caro’ Performed On Nigeria’s Got / Music Maker For Android?? / Davido In Ebola Setup!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.