Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

What's The Most Populous State In The South East? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Most Populous State In The South East? (8949 Views)

Kogi Is The Only State In Nigeria Neighboring 10 States (photo Map) / Most Populous Cities In Nigeria 2015- TMTN / Nigeria- The Most Populous Black Nation In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by odumchi: 4:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
I'm guessing the most populous state is:

Imo

Followed by:
Anambra
Enugu
Abia
Ebonyi
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by odumchi: 4:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
Who else thinks so?
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by asha80(m): 4:26pm On Nov 28, 2013
anambra is more populated tham imo bros....while abia is more populated then enugu.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by odumchi: 4:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
I don't think Abia is more populated than Enugu. Abia is perhaps more densely-populated but it doesn't have more people. Enugu is large and has several towns.

I used to think Anambra was more populated, but then I took into consideration the sheer amount of towns Imo has and its high population density. Besides, most Igbo people I meet tend to be from Imo. Take into consideration all the people from the Ideato-Isu-Arondizuogu-Obowo-Nkwere-Mbaise-Mbano-Orlu-Owerri axis.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by asha80(m): 4:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
odumchi: I don't think Abia is more populated than Enugu. Abia is perhaps more densely-populated but it doesn't have more people. Enugu is large and has several towns.

I used to think Anambra was more populated, but then I took into consideration the sheer amount of towns Imo has and its high population density. Besides, most Igbo people I meet tend to be from Imo.
forget about the people you meet or number of towns you hear people give....anambra is more populated than imo....by the way are you talking about state of origin or people residing in the state?...anyone one of the two i still think anambra has more...it seems you do not live in the country and have no transveresd igboland well because if you have you would know that there is particular area in igboland stretching from onitsha to awka in anambra down to mbaitoli/mbaise axis in imo that at one point was regarded as the most densly populated area in west africa....a large number of igbos you meet are from this axis.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Abagworo(m): 4:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
odumchi: I don't think Abia is more populated than Enugu. Abia is perhaps more densely-populated but it doesn't have more people. Enugu is large and has several towns.

I used to think Anambra was more populated, but then I took into consideration the sheer amount of towns Imo has and its high population density. Besides, most Igbo people I meet tend to be from Imo. Take into consideration all the people from the Ideato-Isu-Arondizuogu-Obowo-Nkwere-Mbaise-Mbano-Orlu-Owerri axis.

Anambra is more populous than Imo. Northern part of Imo and Southern part of Anambra are the most densely populated part of Nigeria as can be seen from google map but Anambra has more people by a slight margin as the lower half of Imo is scanty while the upper 1/3rd of Anambra is scanty. Abia, Enugu and Ebonyi are not as dense as Imo and Anambra.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by odumchi: 4:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
asha 80: forget about the people you meet or number of towns you hear people give....anambra is more populated than imo....by the way are you talking about state of origin or people residing in the state?...anyone one of the two i still think anambra has more...it seems you do not live in the country and have no transveresd igboland well because if you have you would know that there is particular area in igboland stretching from onitsha to awka in anambra down to mbaitoli/mbaise axis in imo that at one point was regarded as the most densly populated area in west africa....a large number of igbos you meet are from this axis.

Why must you bring insult into the equation?

1 Like

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by asha80(m): 4:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
odumchi:

how is it an insult?

1 Like

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Nnewi1stSon: 4:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
odumchi:

gringringrin. You asked for it.

If you were truly in Nigeria during the last census, you wouldnt be spewing this!

1 Like

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by nedu2000(m): 5:10pm On Nov 28, 2013
Anambra is the most-populous,imo & enugu can slug it out for 2nd place
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by SamIkenna: 5:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
No one can say for sure. The census in Nigeria is useless so there's no reliable data on population distribution. But if I have to guess I would say Imo. The reason is because for over 15 years Imo state has consistently had more school enrollment. Therefore, given that Imo and Anambara are the same people with almost the same approach to human endeavors, it is wise to say that the state with more school kids is the state with more population.

1 Like

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by DerideGull(m): 5:30pm On Nov 28, 2013
Abagworo:

Anambra is more populous than Imo. Northern part of Imo and Southern part of Anambra are the most densely populated part of Nigeria as can be seen from google map but Anambra has more people by a slight margin as the lower half of Imo is scanty while the upper 1/3rd of Anambra is scanty. Abia, Enugu and Ebonyi are not as dense as Imo and Anambra.

What arrant nonsense.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sam_Ikenna: No one can say for sure. The census in Nigeria is useless so there's no reliable data on population distribution. But if I have to guess I would say Imo. The reason is because for over 15 years Imo state has consistently had more school enrollment. Therefore, given that Imo and Anambara are the same people with almost the same approach to human endeavors, it is wise to say that the state with more school kids is the state with more population.

Or maybe Imolites are more inclined to pursue higher education.

Too many variables to be certain.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
Most Igbos I meet tend to be from Anambra, but it could be a proximity thing (being from Anambra myself).
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by DerideGull(m): 5:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sam_Ikenna: No one can say for sure. The census in Nigeria is useless so there's no reliable data on population distribution. But if I have to guess I would say Imo. The reason is because for over 15 years Imo state has consistently had more school enrollment. Therefore, given that Imo and Anambara are the same people with almost the same approach to human endeavors, it is wise to say that the state with more school kids is the state with more population.

Bros you are correct. The major gauge of population growth is found among school enrollment or school leavers.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by JulianBond007: 5:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
odumchi: Who else thinks so?
I totally agree with you Odum! There are more of Anambra people migrating outside their state than any other southeastern state which makes them lesser in population. The highest population is between Enugu and Imo.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by SamIkenna: 5:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
nnenna.1:

Or maybe Imolites are more inclined to pursue higher education.

Too many variables to be certain.

Maybe. But when you consider that both states are the same people you can be sure that, to some extent, we can hold those variables constant and make a good guess.

Also my belief is borne from the fact that Imo and Anambra are relatively equal in academic pursuit. None out-schools the other, therefore Imo has to be slightly bigger in population.

If you have the time to check out the useless stats in Nigeria, wherever you find Imo you find Anambara. Or you see Anambara you must find Imo.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Afam4eva(m): 5:57pm On Nov 28, 2013
I know Imo people are the most populous of all Igbo people but since a lot of them live outside Igboland, i wouldn't know if Imo state is the most populous. I kinda think it's Anambra followed by Imo or Abia. Enugu comes next then Ebonyi.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Kingsley1000(m): 6:06pm On Nov 28, 2013
Rubbish post! No sane person will ever compare anambra,wc is almost saturated to other sE-states...anambra is far more populous...
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Afam4eva(m): 6:07pm On Nov 28, 2013

Abia is probably at par with Enugu. A lot of people think Enugu is very populated but unlike most other SE states, Enugu doesn't have big towns apart from the capital. So, most of the population resides in Enugu town but in Abia, apart from Aba and umuahia, you have some medium sized towns with sizeable population.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by odumchi: 6:22pm On Nov 28, 2013
Nnewi1stSon: gringringrin. You asked for it.

If you were truly in Nigeria during the last census, you wouldnt be spewing this!

The same census that said Abia State had 2.8 million people, even though Ngwa alone was over 2 million in population? Abegi.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by odumchi: 6:35pm On Nov 28, 2013
Afam4eva: I know Imo people are the most populous of all Igbo people but since a lot of them live outside Igboland, i wouldn't know if Imo state is the most populous. I kinda think it's Anambra followed by Imo or Abia. Enugu comes next then Ebonyi.

I mean the state that has the highest number of indegines; not necessarily residents.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Afam4eva(m): 6:42pm On Nov 28, 2013
odumchi:

I mean the state that has the highest number of indegines; not necessarily residents.
The thread suggests that you were referring o residents. In that case then Imo takes the cake followed by Anambra. Any Igbo person i meet anywhere, i always assume the person is from either Imo or Anambra unless the person states otherwise. Abia, Enugu and Ebonyi follows right behind in that order.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Kponkwem(m): 6:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
I think Anambra is undisputably the most populated state in Nigeria, and likely the most populated, near homogenous indigenous enclave in Africa. There is no national capital in Africa and Nigeria that you don't find Anambrarians in their hundreds of thousands doing their businesses.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Onlytruth(m): 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
Firstly, happy thanksgiving to my fellow Americans on this thread.

@Topic,

I agree with Odumchi that Imo state is likely more populated than Anambra, but my reason is the one given by dede -there are more schools enrollment and admissions in Imo, simple.

I have lived all my life in areas with high Igbo population concentration, and mix.
In Nigeria for instance: Enugu and Onitsha have the highest Igbo concentration and mix, and property ownership in Onitsha for example reflect this fact.

I also believe that Igbo of Imo and Anambra send their kids to secondary schools in almost equal proportions. Imo starts to get the edge post-secondary. So, if you take the number of kids writing secondary school leaving exams these days, it should give a fairly accurate figure of where the populations are concentrated.
BTW I don't buy the theory that more buildings = more people. It could simply mean that people in built up areas are more inclined to building houses, or that there are more economic activities in the built up areas. No one can say that Abuja is more populated than Kano just because Abuja is built up more.

My 2 cents.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Abagworo(m): 7:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
odumchi:

If its natives, Anambra still leads and closely followed by Imo. If its diaspora, Anambra still leads followed by Imo. I've transversed both States well and I'm so sure of what I've written. There can never be a credible census in Nigeria but the area between Owerri and Awka is obviously the most populous rural area in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by kmariko: 8:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
Abagworo:

If its natives, Anambra still leads and closely followed by Imo. If its diaspora, Anambra still leads followed by Imo. I've transversed both States well and I'm so sure of what I've written. There can never be a credible census in Nigeria but the area between Owerri and Awka is obviously the most populous rural area in Nigeria.

Population density is different from actual population. The high density is due to limited land mass. The actual figure can only be from a credible census. Perceptions are not facts.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by thewarrior72: 8:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
JulianBond007: I totally agree with you Odum! There are more of Anambra people migrating outside their state than any other southeastern state which makes them lesser in population. The highest population is between Enugu and Imo.
grin U be confirmed villager
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by thewarrior72: 8:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
Anambra is far populous than imo, both in diaspora & a @ home
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by thewarrior72: 9:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
undecidedThe people pointing to census figures as beeng inaccurate in imo state, but believe it is correct when Anambra is concern, are simply bunch of hypocrites.... undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by jbaur24: 9:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
Odumchi was supposed to be Eze Igbo NL. He creates divisive threads. How I wish Onlytruth returns as our Eze..

How will anybody create this kind of thread when even the goats knows that Anambra has far more population than any state around. Onitsha alone has become far more cosmopolitan in Nigeria only 3rd to Lagos and PH. There are too many non Anambrans and non Igbos living in Onitsha today due to the expansion of the city. More banks and other corporate businesses has opened in the city thereby expanding its population.

I think the population ranking should go thus:

Anambra

Imo

Enugu

Abia

Ebonyi

1 Like

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Abagworo(m): 9:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
jbaur24: Odumchi was supposed to be Eze Igbo NL. He creates divisive threads. How I wish Onlytruth returns as our Eze..

How will anybody create this kind of thread when even the goats knows that Anambra has far more population than any state around. Onitsha alone has become far more cosmopolitan in Nigeria only 3rd to Lagos and PH. There are too many non Anambrans and non Igbos living in Onitsha today due to the expansion of the city and its population.

Onitsha is a small city and cannot be compared with Lagos or Port-Harcourt. Remember many of us are widely travelled and do visit all these places. Anambra is more populous than Imo not because of Onitsha alone but because of a dense population concentrated in the South and central parts of the State which also spills over to the Northern half of Imo State which is closely behind.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You Aware That Buhari Divorced His First Wife Before She Died? / Presidency, PENGASSAN Deny Pressure To Remove Kachikwu / Incoming Senator Of Abia-north Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu Casting His Vote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.