Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,510 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? (1635 Views)

Western Media's Obsession With '$1 A Day' Nigerians. / FG To Provide 10 Million Mobile Phones Worth N60b To Rural Farmers / Dig, 121,209 Other Policemen To Write Promotion Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by thewarrior72: 2:55pm On Nov 29, 2013
Ki-Katanga:
It's not fictitious. Go to Oto-Ilogbo and find a man with a wife and 3 children. Ask him if he makes more than ₦1,000 a day.

[size=18pt]YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW LUCKY YOU ARE.[/size]

Yes I know there's poverty in Nigeria,but that figure scares me
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by KiKatanga: 5:02pm On Nov 29, 2013
the warrior72:

If something scares you don't claim it's a lie, try to fix it.
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by KiKatanga: 5:03pm On Nov 29, 2013
the warrior72: This analogy is fantastic, but still prove that average Nigerian does not live on one dollars,let alone bellow.
That is not the average Nigerian, that is the lower middle class.
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by Pukkah: 5:51pm On Nov 29, 2013
the warrior72: Bros this figure of 112m Nigerians been bellow poverty line is outrageous,fictitious& unbelievable.
What are u guys trying to prove?, that 112m nigerians live bellow #200 a day?, Do know how much a derica of rice cost, how much an average plate of food cost even in rural areas like east & south, how much a cup of egusi cost, a cup of ogbono,a derica of garri, a loaf of bread ,a tin of milk, a tin of tomato etc. Let us stop buying into whatever those racist oyinbo propagated about nigeria& and africa @ large

I quoted the figures from the Statistician General of Nigeria. Or is he an 'oyibo' man?

If you disagree with the 112m figure, what are your reasons and what is the correct figure?
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by Pukkah: 5:52pm On Nov 29, 2013
the warrior72:

The fact that the figure scares you does not make it wrong.
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by AZeD1(m): 8:39pm On Nov 29, 2013
GenBuhari: Rossike,
The term average Nigerian , means that it includes children infants and elderlyand unemployed adults
So the same way you have stated that infants cannot be expected to own a mobile phone, also acknowledge that the same infants are included in the calculations of what an average Nigerian lives on.

This example my help clarify:

Take Mr Augustine Okonkwo who lives in Enugu.

He lives with his wife Ngozi and 5 children.

Mr Okonkwo earns N50,000 per month as a civil servant .

Mrs Okonkwo earns N10,000 per month from selling eggs at their local main market.

The Okonkwo's total household income is N60,000 per month

which at an exchange rate of N170 = $1 , is equivalent to $350 per month

As there are average 30.4 days per month,

The Okonkwo's income is $11.60 per day

For a family of 7 people (including the children), this means Income per person in the household = $11.60/7= $1.65 per person per day

Therefore based on Mr Okonkwo's household, the average Nigerian survives on $1.65 per day

Thumbs up to you. I owe you a beer for this analysis.
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 29, 2013
The term average Nigerian , means that it includes children infants and elderlyand unemployed adults
So the same way you have stated that infants cannot be expected to own a mobile phone, also acknowledge that the same infants are included in the calculations of what an average Nigerian lives on.

Mrs Okonkwo earns N10,000 per month from selling eggs at their local main market.

For a family of 7 people (including the children), this means Income per person in the household = $11.60/7= $1.65 per person per day

Therefore based on Mr Okonkwo's household, the average Nigerian survives on $1.65 per day

The $1.65 seems to be an exaggerated figure if we consider the fact that Mr. Okonkwo MUST spend a considerable part of the N60k household income on necessary expenses such as house rents, utility bills, transport, and miscellaneous elements before he tenders the remainder for the family to survive on. In the end, you might find that each family member survives on less than a dollar a day - and to think that a household that earns N60k a month is luckier than most.

I really cannot doubt this $1/day postulation. The poverty situation in Nigeria is pandemic, and things would only get worse as the population spirals out of control.
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 29, 2013

I'll stop you right there. Why do you have to demote Mrs Okonkwo's job to an egg seller? Why not a clothes maker? Or a bukka owner? Or a hairdresser? She could make more than 50k with any of those jobs. You don't have to demote her to the position of egg seller in the market.

Operative term is: ''BASED ON Mr Okonkwo's household''. It's not a very representative example. I don't know too many civil servants with 5 kids and an egg seller for a wife.

Also, the main question is value. The purchasing power of the dollar, which varies from country to country. The value of the said $1.65 is about ten times higher in Nigeria than its value in America, hence making the comparison and association with ''one dollar'' very misleading. For starters that $1.65 can buy you three solid meals daily here in Nigeria. But in America, the cheapest meal you can buy is around $10.00 if you're lucky. So it's a highly misleading comparison.
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by atlwireles: 9:37pm On Nov 29, 2013
[quote author=GenBuhari]Rossike,

Take Mr Augustine Okonkwo who lives in Warri

He lives with his wife Ngozi and 3 children.

Mr Okonkwo earns N80,000 per month as a Secondary School teacher .

Mrs Okonkwo earns N25,000 per month working as nurse helper at a private hospital.

The Okonkwo's total household income is N105,000 per month.

This is the Nigeria I know.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by Pukkah: 11:55pm On Nov 29, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Also, the main question is value. The purchasing power of the dollar, which varies from country to country. The value of the said $1.65 is about ten times higher in Nigeria than its value in America, hence making the comparison and association with ''one dollar'' very misleading. For starters that $1.65 can buy you three solid meals daily here in Nigeria. But in America, the cheapest meal you can buy is around $10.00 if you're lucky. So it's a highly misleading comparison.

Your assumption is not correct. Doing a straight translation is not the basis of the $1 a day concept.

Look at what $1.65 can buy in the US in terms of a basket of goods as at 2005. That's purchasing power parity. The concept has its weaknesses but it forms a good basis for analysis.

If this line is too cumbersome, how about the fact that about 112million people lived below poverty line as at 2010?
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by KiKatanga: 1:03am On Nov 30, 2013
ROSSIKE:

I'll stop you right there. Why do you have to demote Mrs Okonkwo's job to an egg seller? Why not a clothes maker? Or a bukka owner? Or a hairdresser? She could make more than 50k with any of those jobs. You don't have to demote her to the position of egg seller in the market.

Operative term is: ''BASED ON Mr Okonkwo's household''. It's not a very representative example. I don't know too many civil servants with 5 kids and an egg seller for a wife.

ERR... Average. How many civil servants are there in Badia? How many were in Makoko? How many in Mushin or Somolu?

There are 180,000,000 people in Nigeria.

Do you see more Civil Servants, Nurses and Hairdressers? Or Egg Sellers and beggars? The fact is, someone with a big family and a very good job is barely over $1 per day.

How do you think a slum-dweller copes? How much do you think a Polio infected man on a wheel board makes? How much do you think the orphans begging on the corner makes? How much does the labourer at the saw mill make? And how much does he make after his arm gets cut off? Nigeria is Bleeding and we ave fix it.

ROSSIKE:
Also, the main question is value. The purchasing power of the dollar, which varies from country to country. The value of the said $1.65 is about ten times higher in Nigeria than its value in America, hence making the comparison and association with ''one dollar'' very misleading. For starters that $1.65 can buy you three solid meals daily here in Nigeria. But in America, [b]the cheapest meal you can buy is around $10.00 [/b]if you're lucky. So it's a highly misleading comparison.

You can buy a meal in a Diner for about $6, you can buy a McDonalds Meal for about $7, and you can still cook a meal for $2-3 per head.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by bolayei: 1:04am On Nov 30, 2013
1 dollar a day ko one dollar a day ni....ask most so called poor people with something to do to honestly tell u how much they get doing what they do daily and hear what they tell u. in england 10 pounds a day na im dem expect person to leave on at the minimum but that na living in poverty, yes 10 pounds a day is poverty in england. Now convert that to naira, you get like 2k5 naira which i believe is enough for an average nigerian and that average nigerian will live above poverty level. so i dont get the yard stick wey dem use measure the 1$ a day rubbish.
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by KiKatanga: 1:11am On Nov 30, 2013
bolayei: 1 dollar a day ko one dollar a day ni....ask most so called poor people with something to do to honestly tell u how much they get doing what they do daily and hear what they tell u. in england 10 pounds a day na im dem expect person to leave on at the minimum but that na living in poverty, yes 10 pounds a day is poverty in england. Now convert that to naira, you get like 2k5 naira which i believe is enough for an average nigerian and that average nigerian will live above poverty level. so i dont get the yard stick wey dem use measure the 1$ a day rubbish.

Because in the UK £8 a day is poverty, and in Nigeria $1 is poverty.

90% of Nigerians earn less than UK minimum wage, but life is cheaper in Nigeria. But no-one can live properly, eat properly, educate themselves and and their children on ₦160, not even in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by biafranqueen: 7:23am On Nov 30, 2013

I use to doubt the stats but since you put it this way, I can see your point! Regardless if Nigerians were getting stipend by the oil as the Middle Easterners do by the government, people's lives would change.
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by biafranqueen: 7:24am On Nov 30, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

Because in the UK £8 a day is poverty, and in Nigeria $1 is poverty.

90% of Nigerians earn less than UK minimum wage, but life is cheaper in Nigeria. But no-one can live properly, eat properly, educate themselves and and their children on ₦160, not even in Nigeria.
plus in the Uk if your poor you can get welfare food stamps free medical care they have a safety net unlike Nigerians cry
Re: Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day? by plendil: 7:31am On Nov 30, 2013

This is beautiful. CASE CLOSED.

(1) (2) (Reply)

We must Rescue Nigeria Now –tinubu / A Taste Of Lopsided Appointments Under Buhari's Regime (1984) / Graphic Pics: Man Cut Into Pieces At Railway Crossing Line In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.