Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,385 members, 7,864,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 05:47 AM

CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes (605 Views)

CBN To Change From Polymer To Paper Notes / Breaking News! Inside Aso Rock Villa: Fg Agrees To Revert To N65 But / Senate Asks Jonathan To Revert Petrol Pump Price To N65 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by vivaciousvivi(f): 7:54am On Nov 29, 2013
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has announced that the country will revert to paper banknotes before June 2014.
The move has been described as a policy switch that bucks the growing trend around the world for tougher polymer-based currency.
The CBN signed a deal in 2006 with Australia’s Securency International to print lower more-circulated units of the naira in polymer, while higher denominations were kept in paper form

The polymer notes were first introduced in 2007 with N20 denomination and later in 2009 with the N5, N10, and N50 denominations.
He said that it was an error on the part of CBN to have produced polymer notes.
“Polymer has been on a test run since 2007. This explains why we did not go the whole hog by printing all the notes in polymer,” the Director of Communication, CBN, Mr. Ugochukwu Okoroafor said.
“We only used polymer for N5, N10, N20 and N50, while N100, N200, N500 and N1, 000 are in paper form. We soon discovered that the polymer notes easily fade out because of our peculiar hot climate in Nigeria making them look tattered when in use over time,” he added.

The central bank however said the policy would not be a drain on the country’s finance and would be gradual. (We have heard that before!)

The new paper banknotes would be printed locally by the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Company rather than abroad.

- See more at: http://nigeriana.org/blog/46876.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Jetheights+%28Jet+Heights%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail#sthash.NmLH3fyo.dpuf
Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by Nobody: 8:04am On Nov 29, 2013
Is that going to raise the value of our currency to a competitive rate?

If No, then i don't care even if they print it with a computer printer undecided

#TeamGOM
Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:07am On Nov 29, 2013
god_of_music: Is that going to raise the value of our currency to a competitive rate?

If No, then i don't care even if they print it with a computer printer undecided

#TeamGOM

Hahahaha!
No it wont raise the value. tongue
Naturally, as all things FG there was no adequate risk management done which would have anaylsed the fact outlined above about the wear and tear of the notes caused by our weather.
Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 29, 2013
vivacious vivi:

Hahahaha!
No it wont raise the value. tongue
Naturally, as all things FG there was no adequate risk management done which would have anaylsed the fact outlined above about the wear and tear of the notes caused by our weather.
Ok, so they wanna make stronger notes now?

I didn't really get you.

#TeamGOM
Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by Andyblaze: 8:16am On Nov 29, 2013
Ehen! Easier to dub

1 Like

Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:24am On Nov 29, 2013
god_of_music: Ok, so they wanna make stronger notes now?

I didn't really get you.

#TeamGOM

My bro, they are reverting back to paper notes from the polymer ones. You were on point, I was just buttressing what you said.
Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by Nobody: 8:26am On Nov 29, 2013
vivacious vivi:

My bro, they are reverting back to paper notes from the polymer ones.
Oh ok, now i get you wink

Please Mods, FRONTPAGE!!!

#TeamGOM

1 Like

Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by Bigcake: 8:57am On Nov 29, 2013
I thought we were going cashless? Okay ooooo
Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2013
Bigcake: I thought we were going cashless? Okay ooooo

No country has ever made that switch full circle. We are still on course. I hope...........
Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by lovat(m): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2013
If money no dey your pocket e no dey whether polymer or paper.
Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 29, 2013
undecided
Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by vivaciousvivi(f): 1:15pm On Nov 29, 2013
lovat: If money no dey your pocket e no dey whether polymer or paper.

grin grin grin grin True dat!
Re: CBN To Revert Naira To Paper Notes by MRWHINNIG: 2:12pm On Nov 29, 2013
2014 cannot come soon enough so that this corrupt fundamentalist called Sanusi Lamido can pack his bags and get the hell out of the Central Bank. He is bad news.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Removing Me Will Put President Jonathan At Risk- Tukur Explains / Delta BRT Project Begins Jan 2014 / Tokunbo Afikuyomi Again!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.