Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital (10768 Views)

Lagos Floods General Hospital With Mobile-Toilets (photo) / The Deplorable State Of A General Hospital In Yobe State [photo] / Photo Of The Deplorable State Of The UNIPORT Teaching Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Kazrem(m): 7:58am On Nov 30, 2013
I don't know a better place to put this but I have to ask myself, is this a hospital owned managed and financed by the state government?

Let me narrate my story to better explain the situation.
I brought my 75 years old mum for diabetes and hypertension treatment on Wednesday. Afte1 the normal formalties of regisration and payment of ward fee, she was admitted around 6:30pm (we actually arrived 2:30pm).

When she was placed on bed, the first thing I noticed was the mosquito net. I tell you, this net must have been there over 6 months unwashed! This didn't bother me much as I hoped there will be light and as a result fan will work which will prevent mosquito. But after about 20 minutes, I started feeling heat (me that is healthy oo).

I kept mute because I don't want to be observed. After about 10 additional minutes, (this was around 7pm) my mum said she was feeling heat as well. Won't there be light was the taught that came to my mind and soonest light came. Thank God. But guess what? This was PHCN light, it was Inverter so we can't use fan, only to see ourselves with the light.

By this time, mosquito has been doing their work seriously. "Is this how we will be till morning", I thought. After few minutes, i heard the sound of generator and additional light came up. I was happy and joyous. I went to fan regulator, but was shocked to see that the fan wasn't working! I tried it again and again, turned it 360 degree yet, it didn't work! Oh my God! What's this! I went to other regulators, I swear by God, in the whole ward, only 2 fans was working and infact it was just one, a visitor made extra effort to make the 2nd work.

Is Epe General Hospital not part of Lagos State owned hospital? The story didn't end there, not long after that the generator was switched off! The situation can't be explained. I felt pity not for myself but for my mum and other patients in Ward 2. How will a patient be in heat? How will they sleep with these mosquitoes? How will they use this net that is smelly? How this how more was running in my mind. Then I asked myself "is this a general hospital owned, managed and financed By Lagos State? May God help us.

Honestly speaking, in terms of treatment, they are very good. I can changes not only in my mum but also in other patients. But what about facilities?

Which is also as important as treatment. I can't use the toilet. Though its clean and okay but as for, i can't use it. This is what I have been seeing here at Epe General Hospital in the last 3 days.

I hope this will be on front page maybe it will be read by necessary dignitries.

6 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by whirlwind7(m): 8:09am On Nov 30, 2013
General neglect and non maintenance is usually associated with government run institutions. Just like it is presently being reported with government owned primary and secondary schools.

Your report would have carried more weight if you had obtained pictures. This forum is also a useful tool to publicize matters that really need attention.

BTW, how is your mother doing? Was the medical attention she got satisfactory?

3 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Kazrem(m): 8:16am On Nov 30, 2013
whirlwind7: General neglect and non maintenance is usually associated with government run institutions. Just like it is presently being reported with government owned primary and secondary schools.

Your report would have carried more weight if you had obtained pictures. This forum is also a useful tool to publicize matters that really need attention.

BTW, how is your mother doing? Was the medical attention she got satisfactory?
Honestly speaking, the treatment is good and she has been improving. I don't "really" know how to add pictures on post, but will try to do it. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Acidosis(m): 8:27am On Nov 30, 2013
I blame the management..

In a country where everyone is concerned about "Moni", "How much is the pay?", "Who pays the highest?", na how much be the salary"; What do you expect?

Assuming the electric fans were Nigerian 'graduates', trust me, they would have embarked on a very long & marathon strike.
But hey! Fan & Mosquitoe net na government property smiley

Lol!! Very funny nation! I only pity the innocent patients..
As for the Mgt.. They should wait for a while, Fashola is on his way to wash the nets with N50 detergent.

By the way, some of those hospital staff have private clinics & laboratories smiley
When you get there, oooh, you'll so love the neatness, maintenance and organisation smiley

6 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Kazrem(m): 8:31am On Nov 30, 2013

3 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Kazrem(m): 8:36am On Nov 30, 2013
[quote author=Kazrem][/quote]

2 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by whirlwind7(m): 8:54am On Nov 30, 2013
@Acidosis: I get your point. Yes, the hospital has a management board, who should oversea the running of this facility. It is glaring that they havent been doing their duty. You know the attitude of civil servants. Government property is deemed nobody's property. If government health inspectors take their job seriously, I dont think this kind of rot would be allowed to fester.

5 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by dominique(f): 10:13am On Nov 30, 2013
Epe, is far from other local governments in Lagos state. That could be the reason its not getting government attention like other areas. I don't use general hospitals so I can't compare the situation there with others though I must say, its quite bad. There should be a way the ministry of health or the governor himself is notified of this.
Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by whiteroses(f): 2:16pm On Nov 30, 2013
Take her to a private hospital naw please, sending lights and love your mums way. That brought hives up all over my skin cry, i can't even breathe in such place talk-less of lay or sleep in it, epe local governmnet should apply all their locals for assylum

1 Like

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Akshow: 2:16pm On Nov 30, 2013
The pix u uploaded above is an eye sore. I'm s staunch supporter of Fashola but the news I'm reading lately is not encouraging. The guy is trying I know but he needs to try harder. students seating on wall and floor in public schools. deplorable state of some roads in lagos suburb, deplorable state of some hospitalsl. he really needs to extend is development to Lagos suburb after all they are part of Lagos state. The situation is d same in public hospitals across the nation. Its really saddening.

2 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by christejames(m): 2:23pm On Nov 30, 2013
I only want to thank God for ur mum's health...
Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Chamber10(m): 2:24pm On Nov 30, 2013
Is this our Lagos? Na wa o
Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by YoshiMaster: 2:28pm On Nov 30, 2013
Boy, oh boy, oh boy!

If one was to use that toilet, won't the person leave sicker than they came in?

Food for thought.

4 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Celepope: 2:29pm On Nov 30, 2013
People abroad should come back home.There is no place like home.

1 Like

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by YoshiMaster: 2:31pm On Nov 30, 2013
Cele-pope:

Hahaha!
Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by rozayx5(m): 2:32pm On Nov 30, 2013
Lagos is working grin

3 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Akshow: 2:36pm On Nov 30, 2013
Cele-pope:
Are u sure u are on d right thread? I have told u to stop smoking that thing that makes u high and incoherent.

1 Like

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Omexonomy: 2:41pm On Nov 30, 2013
@op let those eko oni baje group catch you you go smell pepper.

1 Like

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by taharqa: 2:47pm On Nov 30, 2013
@OP, are you a Learner?? When even d Baba Oloshi of Lasgidi, Emperor Tinubu himself, d man who spent 8 good years as Gov of Lagos and Undisputed Leader of d party who hv been in charge of Lasgidi for 14 yrs, had to go Abroad to treat common KNEE SURGERY. And they CELEBRATED it sef when im land..... Again, @OP are you a Learner??

6 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by awodman: 2:51pm On Nov 30, 2013
Schools broken down, Hospitals looking lyk Museum..and you tell me Fashola is working...Pls hold that propaganda angry

7 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Naijamericana: 2:51pm On Nov 30, 2013
Chei! After looking at those pics one begins to wonder how the average Nigerian fares when sickness afflicts him or her. Unbelievable! Isnt there some kind of oversight board for hospitals in Nigeria? This is too much! In 2013, this is a functioning hospital

cry
Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by anonimi: 2:51pm On Nov 30, 2013
Why is the Lagos state health commissioner still at his job angry
Why is born-to-gain, freshly minted anti-corruption messiah and papa pikin, Honourable Dino Melaye not leading a protest to Alausa to demand the sacking of the commissioner shocked
What about the governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN?
N 500 billion annual budget and ordinary General Hospital is looking like a refuse dump
Meanwhile BRF has no qualms sending his father to Britain for medical care while Lagos state doctors were on strike last year shocked
Bloody HYPOCRITES getting high praise from their gullible agbero MUMU supporters!

@OP,

Thanks for the pictures.

15 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Naijamericana: 2:55pm On Nov 30, 2013
I dont blame people for doing what they need to do to survive. The govt has really failed una!

angry
Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by picoba(m): 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2013

God will save us.

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by anonimi: 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2013
Meanwhile can we expect Fashola to visit the place as a prelude to having it fixed up
That was what GEJ did when report of the Ikeja Police College was made by Channels as a RESPONSIBLE & RESPONSIVE leader.
Or maybe TYRANNICAL Fashola will sack the person who leaked this news as they did for that hapless school principal where the kids were sitting on windows shocked shocked

12 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Naijamericana: 2:59pm On Nov 30, 2013
Cele-pope:

Come back and do what? Even trying to start a simple business like palm fruit processing in the village is giving me headaches. undecided
Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by agrovick(m): 2:59pm On Nov 30, 2013
Oga o
Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Naijamericana: 3:01pm On Nov 30, 2013
Those pics make me sick to my stomach

embarassed
Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by sanandreas(m): 3:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
@ op just pray ur mum dnt get disease from the hospital. Its just too dirty. It looks like oko prison.
Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by anonimi: 3:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
dominique: Epe, is far from other local governments in Lagos state. That could be the reason its not getting government attention like other areas. I don't use general hospitals so I can't compare the situation there with others though I must say, its quite bad. There should be a way the ministry of health or the governor himself is notified of this.

Are you in this same Lagos state where the Speaker, Ikuforiji represented Epe twice before moving to Ikeja to give "younger Epe politicians" a chance to come & chop in Alausa
Anyway, the man may have been too busy doing money laundering of LASHA funds to bother with the sad state of the General Hospital in his constituency.

[img]http://ireports-ng.com/wp-content/themes/goodnews47/framework/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://ireports-ng.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Speaker-Ikuforiji.jpeg&h=275&w=599&zc=1[/img]

And to think these are the people we want to promote to the centre shocked shocked

12 Likes

Re: The Deplorable Conditions In Epe General Hospital by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
this is bad.this is not a hospital it should be a slaughter house.sometimes we cannot always blame govt,what about the management dont they receive maintenance fund.how much does a fan cost,mosquito nets are free,how much to fix a toilet,what about painting, changing the ceiling and buying new beds.these are not really expensive and simple things like this can change the look of the hospital but no!nigerian heatlth managem3nt workers and their 'i dont care attitude'.even if the hospital is renovated will the management and health workers maintain it.they dont need fashola to bring billions just a few thousand naira can upgrade it

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Minister, Pauline Tallen Contracts COVID-19 / NAFDAC Certifies ABUAD To Produce COVID-19, Viral Infections Herbal Drug / World’s First Malaria Vaccine Launched In Malawi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.