Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,418 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers (20416 Views)

How NYSC Members Are Recruited For Prostitution In Minna / How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp / Crises In NYSC Over Deductions From Corpers Allowee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by ceo4eva: 5:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
When some corps members serving in Nasarawa state turned up for a meeting at the Lafia local government secretariat on Wednesday, June 19, most of them were prepared for a showdown with authorities of the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC.

Shortly after they gathered outside the NYSC zonal office, they had received an annoying notice of yet another mandatory levy which would be deducted from that month's allowances.

The NYSC coordinator in the council area had told the furious corps members that they were required, mandatorily, to contribute yet another part of their allowance to fund the building of an office for the NYSC in the area.

The corps members in Nasarawa were enraged by the notice because earlier in the year, in February, they had been extorted of N500 each for the same project.

They are among the over one hundred thousand graduates that struggle through the NYSC scheme annually, with parts of their meagre allowances pilfered by officials of the NYSC, a government body established in 1973, to inculcate the culture of service, volunteerism and national unity into young graduates.

Although the corps was established to manage the welfare of graduates serving the scheme, it has ironically developed micro strategies to plunder corps members or aid other individuals and corporate bodies do same.

Usually, most of the pilfering schemes are designed as voluntary contribution, but the actual implementation does not allow free will to choose not to donate.

Corps members are threatened and cajoled to pay up. Defaulting corps members are sometimes punished with denial/delay of monthly allowance or extension of service year.

NYSC Foundation Slush fund

The National Youth Service Corps Foundation (NYSC Foundation), a non-governmental organization (NGO) established by ex-corps members in 1998, is one of the most sophisticated schemes used to plunder corps members.

The NYSC Foundation said it exists to reduce unemployment by empowering ex-corps members. It has ex-director generals and staff of the NYSC as its board members and directors.

The Industrial Energy Company Ltd in association with Industrial and General Insurance Plc, IGI, initiated the formation of the NYSC Foundation.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/150610-investigation-nysc-extorts-billions-naira-corps-members.html

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by zeelo2014: 5:47pm On Nov 30, 2013
Good. Finally this scam has been exposed.

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by weazley(m): 6:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
dont wory..
GEJ will soon set up a 15man delegation panel to look into the matter..
Useless country.

6 Likes

Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by KenJak(m): 4:00pm On Dec 02, 2013
I'm not even moved cos I knew it already that corruption and dubious act is the only thing in Nigerian leaders' brains. They know nothing than to steal.

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by yorex2011: 4:01pm On Dec 02, 2013
mtcheew
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Zenanted(m): 4:01pm On Dec 02, 2013
space booked...
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Okijajuju1(m): 4:01pm On Dec 02, 2013
Na Today..... grin
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by braine(m): 4:02pm On Dec 02, 2013
True• It also includes the N100 they ask us to pay monthly during clearance and some other miscellaneous payments for things that don't make sense• My own LGI is a crook on his own•••••
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by vicoloni(m): 4:02pm On Dec 02, 2013
weazley: dont wory..
Useless country.

In other words, nothing shall be done about it

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by GamaG(m): 4:04pm On Dec 02, 2013
am really third 2coment!!!!! Moreover every corps member should be careful and alwaz stand for their right.
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Olastep1(m): 4:04pm On Dec 02, 2013
N how does it becomes Billions ?

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by OgologoDimkpa: 4:07pm On Dec 02, 2013
Corruption everywhere?

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 02, 2013
lips sealed

maybe till i pass out

we took an oath to be silent, or do i say we were forced to?

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Ngasky(m): 4:11pm On Dec 02, 2013
NYSC FOUNDATION OR NYSC FRAUD
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by MissIndependent(f): 4:14pm On Dec 02, 2013
Imanuelle: lips sealed

maybe till i pass out

we took an oath to be silent, or do i say we were forced to?

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
grin grin grin grin
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by unmask: 4:15pm On Dec 02, 2013
how about we calculate how much is budgeted for each corps member
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by coolted(m): 4:16pm On Dec 02, 2013
I still don't get it. How is the fraud committed?
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Akshow: 4:20pm On Dec 02, 2013
Olastep1: N how does it becomes Billions ?
times an average of 120k corp members by 500. Then times ur answer by three cos we have batch abc. Then times it by two or three cos according to these corp members they paid 500 february and now again. It may not be up to a bill but no be small money

3 Likes

Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 02, 2013
Where are the allegations ? What crime has been committed by the foundation since its inception ? Who are the suspects ?

There's nothing in this report that indicates that a crime has been comitted by the foundation, just mere allegation. Useless journalism
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Dannylux: 4:25pm On Dec 02, 2013
Useless country.

Kindly invite your father to come and rule us.
Useless Nigerian.

6 Likes

Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 02, 2013
MissIndependent: grin grin grin grin

no be so??
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 02, 2013
Such thing no dey happen where I dey oo cool cool..
Op, kpele. .manage the amount left after the payments, na so our country dey..
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Nikapetrelli(f): 4:31pm On Dec 02, 2013
Na so
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by Theflint1(m): 4:33pm On Dec 02, 2013
Akshow: times an average of 120k corp members by 500. Then times ur answer by three cos we have batch abc. Then times it by two or three cos according to these corp members they paid 500 february and now again. It may not be up to a bill but no be small money
liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiar....serving at kwara, Nufin was collected 4rm me
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by vanguard1(m): 4:33pm On Dec 02, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Where are the allegations ? What crime has been committed by the foundation since its inception ? Who are the suspects ?

There's nothing in this report that indicates that a crime has been comitted by the foundation, just mere allegation. Useless journalism
Correct bro
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by MissIndependent(f): 4:33pm On Dec 02, 2013
Imanuelle:

no be so??
Me i no swear any oath sha na dem sabi sad and as for money extortion, they can only collect from those they want to collect from not moi cheesy
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by vanguard1(m): 4:34pm On Dec 02, 2013
Useless country.
Why are you so obsessed with Gej
N.B....he doesn't associate with failures.
Re: How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers by vanguard1(m): 4:36pm On Dec 02, 2013
Its called service to ones nation and in the serv ice, you have to make sacrifices in every possible capacity including financially.
I just pray the money is used to construct the building not ending up in peoples pocker. I SEE NO FRAUD IN THIS.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? / Batch B PCMs Keeping Vigil To Wait For NYSC Portal For Registration In Uyo / Alawe Increment How True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.