Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,532 members, 7,816,300 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager (898 Views)

5 Major Reasons Why You Need To Read Non-Fictional Books / As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by martronilla: 8:00pm On Dec 01, 2013
I wouldn’t say growing up was easy for me. It’s not like I came from a poor family or something. I was the only child and with a dad as an engineer who works as the managing director of an oil company, you can bet my life was luxurious; physically! I said physically because emotionally, I was a church rat. No friends or whatsoever. I was a teenager and these were trying times for me. I lost my mum when I was barely 6. She fought with breast cancer for years until one day, she finally gave up the ghost. I didn’t cry when I found out she had passed away. I really could not comprehend why I didn’t feel sad about her death. It was more like I already saw it coming. My life changed drastically after that day. Imagine growing up without a mother; it was hell. My dad never remarried even though his family members wanted him to. They told him it was for the good of his daughter; me! Still, dad was bent on his decision of staying single. He loved mum so much and wouldn’t want to do anything to hurt her spirit. Even if he had remarried, I wouldn’t have cared; actually, I never cared about anything. I was a carefree kind of girl. When his family member found out he was adamant, they stopped pestering him. Dad promised me that I was not going to lack anything; he kept the physical part of his promise. I lacked nothing materially, when I tell him I needed this or that, he gets it for me; but emotionally, I lacked a lot. He hardly pays attention to me. When I go to him with either a question or a problem, he simply says:
‘Not now honey, daddy is busy. Go to Aunt Agatha’.

Aunt Agatha was the housekeeper. All I wanted was for my dad to listen to me and not an old lady who doesn’t speak English fluently. I get frustrated every time he refers me to Aunt Agatha. This continued for months until I stopped going to him. When something was troubling me, I just kept quiet. I rarely saw my dad. He leaves for work by 5:00am when I am still asleep and gets back home by 11:00pm when I must have gone to bed. Even with the lack of attention, I still kept good grades at school. The only thing my dad was interested in was my report card. When he goes through it and sees I am the top of the class, he smile and says ‘wonderful! Kept it up darling’ and that was it; till the end of the next term where he repeats the same sentence. It was like for years, nothing about my life changed; No positive or negative change. I soon got used to the whole system.

‘Jessica honey, get dressed, we are going out and there is someone I want you to meet’

I looked backed to check if my dad was talking to someone else but there was no one there. I was surprised and confused at the same time. Did he just talk to me?

‘Huh?’

‘I said get dressed, I am taking you out and we’ve got a visitor’

A normal child would have screamed and jumped for joy on hearing something like that but I didn’t, maybe I wasn’t a normal child after all; I just nodded my head.

‘Great! I will be waiting for you downstairs’

With that, he left my room.

While I went through my ward robe which looked like a boutique, a lot of things went through my mind. Today was the first time he looked at my face, the first time he spoke to me on his own. Could it be that he has changed? Could it be God has heard my cry? And who is the visitor he wants me to meet?

‘Jesse, hurry up’

Dad’s voice brought me back from wonder-land. I brought out a pink dress which my grandma bought for me last time she came visiting; about 2 months ago. I hadn’t worn it once; it still has its tag on it. I had a bunch of clothes like this but I never got the chance to wear them out. Apart from school and church, I never leave the house.

I got dressed, made my hair in ponytails and went downstairs to meet my dad. I met a lady or rather a woman in the living room, seated comfortably on the white leather couch. I recognised her as dad’s secretary in his place of work. He had once introduced her to me when I attended his company’s end of the year party last year.

‘You remember Miss Angela, don’t you?’

Miss? The last time I checked, she was a Mrs or was he mistaken?
‘Yes I do dad; Good evening ma’

‘Good evening my dear, how are you doing today?’

She rose up and embraced me, I just nodded as usual. The whole scene was unimagined. My dad, Miss Angela and I got into the car and drove off. Throughout the ride, they were chit chatting and laughing. I haven’t heard my dad’s laughter for a long time. I kept looking outside my window until we got to our destination, it was a Chinese restaurant.

‘I see you’re back again’

The door man said and smiled while beckoning to my dad and Miss Angela

Huh? Back again? Have them been secretly coming here together? I asked myself.

We went in, sat down and a waiter came to our table to take our order. I wasn’t hungry to be sincere but I had to order something. Another waiter came back with our order and left after serving them on the table. This was my first time of being in a Chinese restaurant and I hated the food. I have always hated any food that contained monosodium glutamate. They make me sweat and give me a terrible headache. Dad noticed I didn’t like the food and asked me not to eat it. He asked me to order something else but I insisted on drinking the herbal tea only. There was no food in a Chinese restaurant that didn’t contain monosodium glutamate. All this while, Miss Angela was quiet. After sometime, she and dad exchanged a look I really do not understand, he cleared his throat and I knew he had something to say.

‘Jesse, there is something I… We need to tell you’

I didn’t reply rather, I took sip from my cup and fixed my gaze on his and he continued.

‘Miss Angela and I have been going out for a while now. She is a very wonderful lady and I am well convinced she will be an amazing mother to you, so I proposed to her and we are getting married’

Just like that? Doesn’t he think this kind if news might be too much for a 10 year old to handle?
‘But I thought she is married already’

‘Yes, she was but now, she is divorced’

‘What does divorce mean?’

‘It means she and her husband are no longer together’

‘Why?’

‘You are too young to understand that now’

‘I thought you said you are not going to get married again’

‘Jesse, I am doing this mainly because of you. You seem lonely and you need a mother to always be there for you. When we get married, she will resign and become a full time house wife so that you will be properly cared for. Most of all, you need siblings.’

‘Siblings? How?’

‘Miss Angela has 2 children, a boy and a girl who are soon going to be your step sister and step brother’

Though I felt lonely, I never for once complained to anyone. I loved being the only child; I do not need step relations. I knew I was carefree but at that instant, I cared so much about the situation on ground. I looked at Miss Angela and she smiled at me. I didn’t say anything so, my dad took my silence as a ‘go ahead’ and dismissed the topic. We left the restaurant by 7:00pm; I had to go to school the next day and I needed to go to bed early. Dad dropped me off at home before instructing Aunt Agatha to serve me dinner and make such I go to bed afterwards. He drove off with Miss Angela.

TO BE CONTINUED

3 Likes

Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by martronilla: 8:01pm On Dec 01, 2013
I laid on my bed with my mind wondering off. I kept on thinking about what daddy had said earlier. I was frustrated for reasons best known to me. My mind travelled far away; for the first time since the death of my mum, I was missing her. I didn’t know when I slept off; I was awoken up by the alarm system in the house. It was Monday morning and I had to get ready for school. The alarm system woke me up. I stood up and found out I had a terrible headache. My head was banging hard. This was unusual; was it because I slept late or because I trouble my small brain with different thoughts last night? Or maybe the Chinese food. I struggled to the kitchen to meet Aunt Agatha.
‘Aunt Agatha, good morning ma’
I fought the words out of my mouth; I was in so much pain.
‘Jashika, na wetin is wrong with you na?’
‘I have a terrible headache’
‘Na wa o. Are you sure say you fit go school today?’
‘I don’t know o. My head hurts really bad’
‘Oh Jesus, na which kind thing be this now?’
She drew me closer to her and put her palm on my forehead.
‘Ah! See how hot your body dey. Yam can fit roast on this your head o’
I gave a weary smile at her joke.
‘When did dad leave for work?’
‘Your father no went to work today o. Him travelled to outside country, him say na business trip…’
Suddenly, the sound of her voice became faint and it was like she was talking to me from miles away, my eyes were slowly shutting close and my body descending to the ground. I woke up hours later in the hospital. I didn’t know how I got there but I was there!
‘Doctor! She don awake o’
Aunt Agatha shouted across the hall of the hospital.
‘How are you feeling now?’
Doctor Festus asked. He had been our family doctor for years.
I didn’t say a word, instead I nodded.
‘Jashika, see as you make my mind cut today. I been think say you have died sef. I thank God say you are fine o’
Aunt Agatha exclaimed enthusiastically.
‘Uncle Festus, what happened?’
‘You fainted; you have a fever. You can go home now but you must be under medication. You must eat well in order for the drugs to work well in your system. If you do not feel fine by tomorrow, you should not go to school’
I nodded again. The headache was gone but I was really hungry and weak. The doc handed the drugs to Aunt Agatha and instructed that they should be taken after every meal. When we got home, I took my bath, ate, took the drugs and slept off. Within three days, I was completely fit to go to school.
‘Ah, oga welcome o’
I heard Aunt Agatha greet. Dad was back from his business trip. I was getting ready for school. Some minutes later, he came into my room.
‘Daddy welcome’
‘Thank you honey; Aunt Agatha told me you were ill. How are you feeling now?’
‘I am fine’
‘Thank God. Quickly get ready; you’re almost late for school’
Going to school was tiring. It was no fun at all. No friends to play with when it’s recess. I was absent for three days and I bet no one noticed my absence because I was invisible in class. I go to school and come back every day without saying a word to anybody. I was too reserved and I hated it myself. I got to school and the normal lessons began; soon, it was recess and as usual, I stayed back in class reading.
‘RSG, the headmistress wants you in her office’
A classmate of mine came to tell me and quickly left like she doesn’t want to be seen with me. My classmates avoided me a lot and called me RSG which stood for Rich Snobbish Girl. I wasn’t a snob. They do not understand; no one does.
‘Good morning ma’
‘Good morning Johnson (my surname). I summoned you here to find out from you, the reason for your absence from school for 3 consecutive days without permission’
Well at least someone noticed my absence, I said to myself.
‘I was ill and my dad travelled. He came back today’
‘Oh, how are you feeling now?’
‘I am fine ma, Thank you’
‘You have to be very punctual and serious with your studies because the date for your common entrance examination is fast approaching’
I nodded and she dismissed me.
When I got home that day, I met my dad and Miss Angela in the sitting room. He didn’t go to work today.
‘Good afternoon daddy, Good afternoon Aunty Angela’
‘Good afternoon my darling, how was school today?’
Miss Angela asked while giving me a hug.
‘Fine’
‘I heard you were ill, how is your health now?’
‘Fine’
‘That’s nice to hear’
‘You should start learning how to address her as ‘mummy’’
My dad said to me, I nodded and went upstairs to my room. Later that day, they went out on a dinner date.
I went to bed pretty early so I didn’t know when dad got back. The next day was Friday and dad does leave for work early on Fridays. I love Fridays because I would come back from school early. As usual, the alarm system in the house woke me up. I took my bath and go dressed for school. Aunt Agatha called me to come downstairs and have breakfast with my dad.
‘Good morning dad’
‘Morning my dear. How was your night? I hope you slept well’
‘Yes dad, I did’
We ate in silence and suddenly, the sound of my voice broke the silence
‘Daddy, when will I get to meet Aunt… Mumy’s children?’
I quickly corrected myself. I was expecting him to say “you had better start calling them your brother and sister”
‘You will not be meeting them’
‘But why? I thought since we were going to be a family soon, it was best I’d get to know them’
‘We will not be a family’
‘Why not dad?’
I was getting really confused that I stopped eating and was staring at him with an anxious look on my face.
‘Angela and I are no longer getting married’
‘Why?’
‘She is not the woman I thought she was’
‘What happened?’
‘Never mind dear. Now quickly finish up so you won’t go to school late’
I was getting to like Miss Angela. Now, my carefree attitude was back and most importantly, I was going to remain the only child!
Days turned to weeks and weeks turned to months. I wrote the common entrance examination, passed with flying colours and got admitted into Pacific High school, one of the best and most expensive secondary schools in Nigeria. I set a lot of goals for myself. I didn’t want the name, “KSG” to follow me to secondary school. I made up my mind to make a hell lot of friends. My first day was boring; that should be normal. I was 11 years old and I looked 15. I was tall and fat. I hoped my nickname wasn’t going to be “Orobo”. Secondary school was a different world entirely. I encountered new subjects; thank God for my dad who got me a tutor to coach me during the summer holiday. I was more than ready for the challenges of high school.
‘Hey JJ’
A very slim girl called out as she approached me during lunch break
‘Huh? What is JJ’
‘Duh! Your name, Jessica Johnson’
‘Oh, how did you know my name?’
‘We are in the same class and I got to know it through the roll call’
‘Ok’
‘I am Cynthia’
‘Yeah right! I remember you, the talkative’
‘What? Why does everyone think that? I am not a talkative; I just love expressing myself’
‘If you say so’
‘So what are you going to get?’
‘Just a bottle of table water’
‘Bottle water? It’s expensive. Why don’t you buy a sachet of water instead?’
‘That’s not hygienic’
‘Jor o! Ajebota’
‘What makes you think so?’
‘I do see the different cars that you are brought in to school’
‘Have you been watching me?’
‘Maybe. Quickly go get the bottle of water before the break ends’
From that moment, Cynthia became my friend and our friendship blossomed over the years. I made a lot of other friends especially when I was made the prefect of the class due to my attitude to work and good grades. Like a magic trick, I was in my 3 year in secondary school and so far, I have been the top of my class and was still the prefect of the class because I maintained my grades. Js 3 was a big river to cross; I had the Junior Waec coming up and I needed to prepare very well. A new male student joined my class and as the prefect, I was suppose to take him to the class teacher for registration.
‘Such a fine boy’
Cynthia remarked.
‘Hmmmm’
Was my reply. I wasn’t surprised she gave that kind of remark; she turned out to be the lousy kind.
‘What’s his name?’
Cynthia winked at me; such a nasty girl.
‘Paul’
‘Nice name’
Paul had an absolute zeal for education. He was intelligent and hardworking. After his first term, he was made the assistant prefect of the class. We worked hand in glove for the progress of the class and that brought us very close. I noticed I was beginning to like Paul a lot; more than the usual liking between friends. I was convinced I had fallen in love. I went deep into researching and found out I was wrong; I wasn’t in love; I was crushing on Paul instead. According to my research, having crushes is normal for a teenager and I was a teenager; I was 13+. I told Cynthia since she was my best friend and the little devil wouldn’t stop teasing me. For the first time, I regretted telling her a secret. With the passing of everyday, my crush on Paul grew huge. I did crazy things that made him avoid me most of the times. One day, we were given an Art project; to make a Valentine’s Day card for any member of the class. Mine was the best and I dedicated it to Paul and much to my astonishment, he rejected it there and then, in front of the whole class. I apologized and the next day, I got him a gift; a friendship chain which he rejected as well. Day in and day out, I bought him different kinds of things which he rejected. He clearly stated he didn’t like me; sometimes, he shouts at me on the top of his voice to leave him alone.
Cynthia tried to make me get over him when she noticed I was embarrassing myself but I couldn’t. During the weekends, the crush goes but the moment I set my eyes on him in school; it comes back with full force. I really do not know what I saw in him but the crush was just there. Months later, I wrote the Junior Waec, passed and got promoted to Senior Secondary school and yet, I was still crushing on him. I crushed on him for a year! I stopped sending him gifts like I used to and I noticed my obsession on him had gradually reduced.
My dad got promoted at work and the company hosted a party to celebrate his promotion. I attended the party with my dad and lo and behold, I saw Paul there.
‘Hi’
I greeted.
‘Jessica!’
He almost screamed in fright.
‘Paul, such a surprise to see you here’
‘Yeah, my mum works here and her boss is the celebrant of this party. What are you doing here?
’Wow! You mum works here? Cool. Well, my dad works here too and he is the reason for this party’
I grinned with pride.
‘What a coincidence. Congratulations on your dad’s promotion’
‘Thank you’
‘Did you know my mum is your dad’s secretary’
‘Huh?’
‘Yeah, Mrs. Angela’
‘Mrs? Again? I thought it was Miss?’
‘What are you talking about?’
‘Isn’t she divorced?’
‘No! My mum was never divorced. Where did you hear such a horrible thing from?’
‘Never mind. Anyways, Nice meeting you today Paul. Enjoy the party’
‘Alright, bye’
What a revelation! I said to myself. So Miss Angela was never divorced, no wonder she and dad broke up and Paul was almost my step brother; small world. I kept pondering on this until the party was over
By the time I entered Ss 2, I had completely gotten over my crush on Paul. I hated his guts! This sudden hatred came from nowhere. I never wanted to see him or hear his voice. I looked back at those years when I was crushing on him and found out I acted very foolishly. I was greatly disappointed in myself. I remembered how I had sleepless nights and wet pillows because of him. He was a wasted part of my life. I was still the top of my class and I looked forward to the upcoming SSCE and JAMB. At this time, Aunt Agatha had retired because she had grown too old to work. I missed hearing her struggle with Pidgin and English words to form a sentence. She had been the house keeper since when I was 6, when my mum died. Dad hired a new housekeeper, Mama Ruth. She was a woman in her early thirties, married with 3 kids. She worked part –time because she had her own family to look after any by the way, I was old enough to take care of myself. I didn’t really need her personal services.
A year later, I wrote and passed my SSCE with 6 As and 3 Bs. Dad was so impressed that he sent me to school in London. I attended Oxford University and studied Medicine. During my 2nd year in the university, I flew back to Nigeria to spend the Christmas holiday with dad and the members of my extended family. Dad was surprised when he saw me coming out of the airport; I had really slimed down and I had a figure to die for.
I called Cynthia to let her know I was back in the country and she insisted I come pay her a visit. We kept in touch, even when I was in London. On my way back home from Cynthia’s apartment, someone called me and turned to see who it was.
‘Jessica!’
‘Paul?’
‘Yes it’s Paul’
‘Wow! Such a long time’
‘Yeah; Funny accent you got there. Are you a Londoner?’
He teased.
‘Hahaha… Actually, I school there; I came back some days ago for the Christmas holiday’
‘That is really nice. You have grown into a very beautiful woman o. Chei! Look at your hips and your bums and your…’
I cut him short before he continued.
‘Excuse me?’
‘Common, don’t pretend now. I know you were into me in Secondary school. I gave you a hard time because I was saving our relationship for the future which is now’
He smiled mischievously.
‘Too late’
I hissed and walked away. He stared at me with his mouth agape until my Shadow was gone into the corners of the street. While I walked home, I hummed the popular “Forget you” song by Cee Lo and dedicated it to Paul. I looked back at my life from the beginning and gave a satisfying sigh. I was indeed a struggling Teenager.

#Martha_Kings
THE END!
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 01, 2013
wow..shocked cheesy
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by martronilla: 9:49pm On Dec 01, 2013
deejay_harry1: wow..shocked cheesy
you likey? sad
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by Hendrixtzee(m): 11:15pm On Dec 01, 2013
Wow!!! 9ce piece yhuu've gt there n u really make a gud Writer too. Kept me glued to my phone wwt such zeal.... I do hope there's a sequel tho*me likey*
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 01, 2013
martronilla: you likey? sad

very nice ... as in eh..

1 Like

Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by twosquare(m): 11:42pm On Dec 01, 2013
Nice fiction!!
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by martronilla: 7:06am On Dec 02, 2013
Thank u all
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by tomsongz(m): 1:57pm On Dec 02, 2013
Nyc
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by peter1994(m): 2:57pm On Dec 02, 2013
Wow. dats a nice write up
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 02, 2013
Nice piece Martha Kings/Matrollina!!!!!
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by martronilla: 10:29pm On Dec 02, 2013
tomsongz: Nyc
peter1994: Wow. dats a nice write up
whizbrain: Nice piece Martha Kings/Matrollina!!!!!
Thank u so much.... m glad u liked it
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by Rehn(m): 10:58pm On Dec 02, 2013
Nice piece. Been searching for you all over nairaland Martha.
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by martronilla: 11:31pm On Dec 02, 2013
Rehn: Nice piece. Been searching for you all over nairaland Martha.
Now you've found me.... any better? shudda send my account numb?

1 Like

Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by Rehn(m): 6:40am On Dec 03, 2013
martronilla: Now you've found me.... any better? shudda send my account numb?
*smiles* yes now I av found you. Promise you won't go missing again.
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by bknight: 8:44am On Dec 03, 2013
What did jj struggle with? Being an only child? Being snobbish? Or being a rich gril? undecided

Trying to relate d title to d story. But then, a really lovely write up, fast paced, fluid...thumbs up
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by martronilla: 8:47pm On Dec 03, 2013
bknight: What did jj struggle with? Being an only child? Being snobbish? Or being a rich gril? undecided

Trying to relate d title to d story. But then, a really lovely write up, fast paced, fluid...thumbs up
She struggled with being an only child with a father who hardly cares abt her existence .... itz like she grew up alone; with no one's help... that aint easy
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by kingphilip(m): 9:12pm On Dec 11, 2013
I must confess nice piece u've got here as i told u earlier, i'll be expecting a piece frm u soonest not jst a short one but a very lng one
Re: The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager by martronilla: 8:17am On Dec 12, 2013
kingphilip: I must confess nice piece u've got here as i told u earlier, i'll be expecting a piece frm u soonest not jst a short one but a very lng one
Thank u :-D

(1) (Reply)

The Last Rat; The Rast Lat (a short story) / ....the Hidden World... / Rate My Poem Over On A Score Of 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.