Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies (4693 Views)

Governor Fayose Climbs A Caterpillar To Hail His People In Ekiti (Photo) / Nigeria To Replace South Africa In G20 As Economy Grows / Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 1:28am On Dec 06, 2013
(Nigeria Agric Transformation Success Stories Part II- hosted by NSE and CNBC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqOAB2PS5tk
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 1:31am On Dec 06, 2013
(Nigeria Agric Transformation Success Stories Part III- hosted by NSE and CNBC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS4gpr3NIVI
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by jmaine: 1:41am On Dec 06, 2013
Brother Taharqa . . .I dey feel your rumble wella from afar . . .Abeg more fresh air releases . .Jor ooo !!! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 1:49am On Dec 06, 2013
o many others things to add, but at this moment ALL my attention is on the news of the 'death' of my Personal Hero, the Great Madiba.

So later things plz...

NB: Will Appreciate it if other persons post Relevant Info on this topic. Thnks
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 10:29am On Dec 06, 2013
jmaine: Brother Taharqa . . .I dey feel your rumble wella from afar . . .Abeg more fresh air releases . .Jor ooo !!! cheesy
Broda mi, wetin we for do na? I hail...
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 3:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
ndu_chucks:

For once you are hailing legitimate success, as opposed to your usual almajiri praise singing. An improvement I must say. cheesy
You Imposter. You no wan change, abi??..... 'Ndu-chuks' you fit provide Info on how far d process of Resuscitating dams, esp in d North, dey now? At least, be 'useful' if na small sef cheesy
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by atlwireles: 4:30pm On Dec 07, 2013
ROSSIKE:

I think the simultaneous remodeling of 22 national airports is a sign of reduced corruption in the system. I'm looking at these newly, fabulously remodelled airports like Kano, Enugu, Benin etc and thinking, ''so where the hell was all the money going before this Jonathan govt came to power??'' I'm looking at the long abandoned railway system, suddenly roaring back to life, and estimated to cover something like 5 million passengers this year alone. And I'm thinking ''hang on a second.. where is this money coming from since we've been repeatedly told by past govts that there was no money to do these things?''

Meanwhile, road transport companies have filled the airwaves in an unprecedented endorsement of the federal govt highway reconstruction programme, that has seen thousands of miles of federal roads returned to perfect condition. Again leading one to think ''surely they can't be embezzling that much of our earnings if they're doing all this now with our money!''

Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 1:51am On Dec 08, 2013
[size=18]RICE[/size]

I would start to provide Articles and Videos on the Revolution currently going on in the Nigerian Rice Industry, where more than 14 NEW Rice Mills have been opened in the last 3 years. Some of these Mills Vids would shown.

Ist, a Recent Article on Daily trust(2 days ago) on the interesting Interview by the owner of Umza Rice Mill, in Kano State.

NB: Pay attention to the highlighted Section plz:

[quote]
[size=15]Nigeria can Compete with India, Thailand in Rice Production[/size]

When Alhaji Mohammed Abubakar started his Umza rice mill in Kano State two years ago, banks were running away from him. After building the 75,000 metric tonnes multi-million naira mill, he needed N500 million working capital, which the banks refused to give to him. But now, with his business flourishing and a credit line in billions of naira, he has become the darling of many banks. In this interview, Abubakar who was a member of the House of Representatives from 2003 to 2011 speaks on the prospects and challenges of rice milling in Nigeria. Excerpts:

How did you come about this rice mill?
Whenever somebody is thinking of development he chooses which aspect of life he wants to follow. As a business man before I joined politics, I always thought about how I can impact on my people and the society in general.
I have travelled to different places; I have been to India, Thailand, and I have seen how they grow their rice that we have been buying for more than 50 years. So, I started thinking on how I can delve into the area and that was how we started. I started it with a rice mill here in Kano. Because I learnt the rice we have here is the same with the ones in the countries I visited.
When did you start?
Actually I started building this place around 2008, but it was officially commissioned in 2011. It was commissioned by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi and many other important dignitaries.
What is the capacity of this mill?
Presently it is 75,000 metric tonnes per annum rice mill.
What were the challenges when you started the mill?
So many challenges; for example, securing the land and building it, infrastructure, electricity and water. It may interest you to know that we have a water treatment plant close to us, but when we received the bill for connecting the water we could not pay. So, we have to go and drill our own boreholes. We have about five industrial boreholes here because we use about 200,000 litres of water per day. So, these are part of the challenges. We have 1 million litres water treatment plants in the factory. Then after building the factory, the biggest challenge is how to run the factory, you know it is capital intensive. We need to buy from the farmers, process it and sell, that is how you circulate the money.
The very challenging issue is that the paddy comes once in a year; after the harvesting season you cannot buy it as much as you could, so you need a lot of money at a particular time of the year. That is the most challenging aspect of it.
How many tonnes of paddy do you buy from farmers annually?
If you are talking about sufficient quantity, you have to buy about 75,000 metric tonnes but you cannot get it for now. When we started, to get even 10,000 tonnes was challenging, but now we can buy up to 20,000 tonnes every year and it comes with a price also. When we started, the running cost came from the CBN, we had to see them and the Ministry of Agriculture with our initiative on this commercial agriculture for loan. That was how we were able to secure N500 million to start with; to buy paddy rice, process and sell. We got this through the help of Fidelity Bank, so we have to thank them for that, because when we started, we approached many banks but they all refused to grant us credit facility.
Your rice mill is located in Kura, a town famous for the cultivation of rice, one is surprised to hear that you are finding it difficult to get paddy. Why?
In fact, even the 25,000 metric tonnes we are buying, we are not getting it from this area because of the challenges; price and activities of middlemen. We are getting most of our paddy from Adamawa and Taraba states because it is cheaper and the activities of middlemen there are not like in this place.
The preference of Nigerians for foreign rice is negatively affecting our GDP. Is it that the rice you people are producing locally is substandard?
That is why we are competing with them; some people are even saying our rice is better than the imported rice. Because our rice is produced, processed in the same year, not like imported rice that in most cases are about five years or so old. Then, because we are handicapped we have no choice than to patronize it, but now people have choices.
It may interest you to know that most of t
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 1:57am On Dec 08, 2013
*VIDEO CAPTION: Growing Nigeria: a Rice Revolution: between 20mins-22mins Labana Rice Mills in Binin Kebbi

NB: Also see the effects of the Dry Season Rice farming that was introduced FOR FIRST TIME this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ChQUAmuNaI

1 Like

Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 1:59am On Dec 08, 2013
*VIDEO CAPTION: IRS Rice Mills, Kano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2stmabIVBw
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 2:01am On Dec 08, 2013
*VIDEO CAPTION: Ebony Mills ( just 1 of the 3 there)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhrRuUMHVb4
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 2:05am On Dec 08, 2013
VIDEO CAPTION: Quarra Rice Mills in Kwara State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnuh4-XTfY
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 08, 2013
This is a good development. Although we need to focus on the quality of exports, not just the exports. Good one.

1 Like

Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by Tintinix: 7:17am On Dec 08, 2013
Ok, my new favorite section would be the Business section then, cos instead of wasting mb on pointless debates, maybe I will also glean some ideas on how to take advantage of these great developments.
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 10:03am On Dec 08, 2013
Tintinix: Ok, my new favorite section would be the Business section then, cos instead of wasting mb on pointless debates, maybe I will also glean some ideas on how to take advantage of these great developments.
You are getting d Scoop, abi??... I visit that section nearly everyday now
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 9:12am On Dec 09, 2013
Am trying to get Vids of some other Rice Mills so I can finish with Rice and go to other sub-sectors like Oil palm, Rubber, Fertilizer, Steel, Cassava, Ceramic tiles, IT, etc...
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 09, 2013
@Taharqa..,you'r doing a great job on this thread well done.
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 9:05am On Dec 17, 2013
j
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 4:54am On Dec 21, 2013
[size=16]FRESH....[/size]

[size=18]Nigeria’s economy largest in Africa as rebasing boosts GDP to $405bn[/size]

December 19, 2013 | Filed under: main story | Author: PATRICK ATUANYA

In about three weeks from now, when the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) releases the rebased Gross Domestic Product (GDP) it will show that Nigeria has overtaken South Africa as Africa’s largest economy, which will have great economic and geopolitical implications.

This is according to emerging markets focused investment banking firm Renaissance Capital, whose team of analysts were in Abuja, over the weekend.

“We are revising up our estimate of Nigeria’s GDP by 53 percent. The NBS has nearly completed its work, and our new estimate is that a 45 percent to 60 percent uplift is likely, and we are taking 53 percent as the mid-point figure. We expect the data in January,” said Renaissance Capital analysts led by Charles Robertson, its global chief economist and head of macro strategy, in a research report released yesterday (Dec 18).

“This means Nigeria, at $405 bn in 2013 would be the largest economy in Africa, ahead of South Africa at around $370 bn.”

Other impacts of the rebasing include the possible reduction of growth rates to 5 – 6 percent from 6 – 7 percent, and an increase in GDP per capita to $2,400 from around $1,700, in essence moving Nigeria into middle income economy territory.

“Sectors that may show the biggest upward revision range from Nollywood to IT and telecoms, while we think agriculture will shrink from around 40 percent of GDP to 25 – 30 percent of GDP,” said Robertson.

The rebasing will show public debt shrinking to 13 percent of GDP from 20 percent of GDP. Public external debt would be below 2 percent of GDP, while the current account surplus may still be 5 percent of GDP which will leave the sovereign in a good position to borrow if needed.

According to Rencap “In a Fed tapering world, these revisions make Nigeria look good, but credit rating upgrades (Ba3/BB-) are likely to be constrained by the most competitive presidential elections Nigeria will have seen since democracy returned in the 1990s.”

The NBS is seeking to change the calculations of Nigeria’s GDP, using a new base year of 2010 to give a better indication of the size and composition of its economy.

Most governments overhaul GDP calculations every few years to reflect changes in output and consumption, such as telecoms, financial services and internet usage, but Nigeria has not done so since 1990 (about 23 years) suggesting that the previous GDP framework underestimated economic activity.

The numbers will have new implications for investors and the geopolitics of Nigeria’s place in Africa.

“We would be very surprised if recent and pending investment decisions are taken on the basis of the 1990 national accounts,” said FBN capital research analysts led by Gregory Kronsten, in a note released in August.

“The new GDP series will however be tracked by potential investors, such as suppliers of consumer goods and services,” Kronsten said.

Nigeria already hosts the second largest debt and stock markets in Africa, behind South Africa.

Its stock market is valued at $77 billion, while the secondary market bond trading volumes, ”certainly exceed those of Egypt and Morocco and represent around 20 percent of South Africa’s turnover,” according to Samir Gadio, an emerging markets strategist, at Standard Bank, in London.

Overall – Nigeria’s debt, budget and current account ratios will look among the best in Africa and in the emerging markets (EM), once the rebased figures are released, notes Robertson.

“We like Nigeria in the coming quarter – though we see domestic bond yields up a little, at around 13.5 percent on average. Nigeria is going to rise from 14 percent of MSCI frontier markets to around 20 percent in May 2014 which could attract equity investors wanting exposure to frontiers and/or Africa. We expect the NGN to remain at 160/$ until June 2014. But we are still nervous for the second half of 2014,” Robertson said.

By: PATRICK ATUANYA
Businessday 12/19/2013
Re: Experts Hail Nigeria's Soaring Nonoil Exports, As Economy Diversifies by taharqa: 5:59am On Dec 21, 2013
[size=18]POULTRY[/size]

[size=16]Poultry production shoots up 20% in Nigeria[/size]

Growing health concerns in Nigeria about smuggled imported poultry have led to a 20 percent increase in local bird production in the last one year, boosting farmers earnings and creating more jobs in the local industry.

The poultry, mainly chicken, are now sold by large emerging super stores spread across urban centres. They are sold raw or smoked and are supplied directly or through distributors, by big agro companies such as Chi Limited, which have large farms and complimentary processing units.

Poultry-farmThe ready-to-cook chicken stock are supplied in modern packaging and are well preserved through continuous freezing, which supermarkets have the capacity to provide.

This, along with the hygienic environment of these retail shops, is driving up sales, in spite of the higher prices.

A smuggled imported frozen whole chicken for instance, is sold for between N700 and N1,200 depending on the size, while the locally produced frozen chicken goes for as high N1,650 or more, in the supermarkets.

This however is not deterring the growing league of high networth individuals who now have a habit of shopping for food in the supermarkets due to the assurance of hygiene, the beauty and safety of the environment, as well as safety of the environments and the benefit of available and free parking spaces.

This current growth was envisaged by the Nigeria Agribusiness Report in its third quarter 2011 edition, which predicted that between 2012 and 2015, due to rising living standards and expanding population, there would be an increase of about 23 percent growth in the poultry industry.

The prediction was based on increased government support, improved farming techniques and growing demand for poultry.

This increased demand for wholesome poultry stock by the middle class has been spurring business expansion among existing poultry producers, and also stimulating new investments.

Though there have been crises in the industry due to security challenges in the north of Nigeria, which led to lower demand for eggs from there, the growing middle class, their changing tastes and health concerns have spurred demand in the southern parts. Chickens and eggs are even being branded by producers as an assurance of quality.

Quail farming, another form of poultry, (a bird which is adjudged by health experts to be very beneficial healthwise, as it is very nutritious and does not contain cholesterol) is adding to the boom in the industry.

Also, the Nigeria Customs Service, in response to outcries of stakeholders and the efforts of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture, has increased the interception and destruction of smuggled poultry products.

Dotun Agbojo, president of the Poultry Association of Nigeria, Lagos Chapter (PANLAG) recently in Lagos said from the beginning of the year to date, the customs have seized over N500 million worth of poultry products from smugglers. Agbojo urged the service to intensify its’ efforts. He drew attention to the health hazards, stating that smugglers went as far as hiding poultry in fuel tankers. The Nigeria Customs Service and other stakeholders have also at various times, pointed out the health hazards involved in the consumption of smuggled poultry.

A representative of the National Agency for Food, Drug, Administration and Control (NAFDAC) I. Sanni, during a recent poultry show held in Lagos, observed that the cold chain is usually broken during the transportation of the imported poultry.

At such times, he said, microbes begin to work on the meat. Subsequently, they may be kept in freezers again if they make it to the Nigerian market, but they expose unsuspecting buyers to health hazards.

Kola Oyedeji, a chemist and farmer, said the smuggled poultry is usually preserved from spoilage with formaldehyde, the same chemical used in mortuaries to preserve corpses. This, he said, exposes consumers to carcinogenic substances which predisposes people to cancer.

There are however still a lot of challenges experienced by producers in the country. These include high cost of input, and infrastructure challenges. But the domestic poultry industry as predicted by a 2011 Nigeria Agribusiness Report, is growing. Onallo Akpa, an executive of the Poultry Association of Nigeria (PAN) estimates commercial production at N51.2 billion (US$3.2billion) and rural family production at N320 billion, with 553,000 metric tonnes of eggs and 708,000 metric tonnes of broiler meat being produced as at 2011.

http://businessdayonline.com/2013/12/poultry-production-shoots-up-20-in-nigeria/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rumours Over Arms Build Up In South East And Niger Delta / 5 Things That May Likely Happen If Republic Of N'delta Emerges / Photos From The Burial Of OCHA Brigade Commandant Who Died In A Fatal Accident.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.