Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,723 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs (20737 Views)

I Want To Help Five Nairalander Get Jobs Before May 10 (closed) / Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. / Why People Dont Get Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Mannastoress: 1:15pm On Dec 03, 2013
It’s because college kids today can’t do math, one line of reasoning goes. Or they don’t know science. Or they’re clueless about technology(apart from facebook & twitter), aside from their myriad social-media profiles. These are all good theories, but the problem with the unemployability of these young adults goes way beyond a lack of STEM skills. As it turns out, they can’t even show up on time in a button-down shirt and organize a team project.

The technical term for navigating a workplace effectively might be soft skills, but employers are facing some hard facts: the entry-level candidates who are on tap to join the ranks of full-time work are clueless about the fundamentals of office life.

Over 3 million college students graduate every single year and you'd think with a degree that they'd have an easier time getting a job. But this is far from the truth. In fact, underemployed or unemployed college graduates have reached as many as 2 million.

However, there are many reasons why these graduates can't get a job. The 7 reasons why college grads can't get a job are:

1. Unrealistic expectations: Students getting degrees have the expectation that their degrees will help them get a job. From an employer's point of view, this is very true as they will be more qualified to do the job and there is less of a need to train them in-house. However, employers are the not ones actively seeking out new employees. Therefore, the students who are better prepared and have well defined job search goals throughout their time at college will have a greater chance of securing a job after they graduate, compared to those who hope that being a college graduate will get them through automatically.

2. Low academic scores: Being a college graduate also implies that employers expect these kinds of applicants to have done well at school. However, this is not always the case, as many would know. Many employers use a CUM score of 3.0 (equivalent to a B grade average) as a minimum requirement and some may even seek out those with higher scores.

3. Poor communication abilities: It is unusual for a college graduate to have poor communication skills, but nevertheless, some graduates still managed to graduate with a degree yet still have communication skills of a 5 year old.

4. Lack of work experience: Many employers are not willing to take a chance on a student who hasn't been able to show that they've had any experience working. Even working in a non-related field can still work in the student's favor.

5. Lack of achievements and results: There are still students who are not proactive enough in wanting to be able to achieve things, in and around college. This could mean getting work experience on campus, volunteering, doing extracurricular activities etc. These students are often those with average scores as well and tend to lose out to the more active college graduates.

6. Lack of referees: This point links back to the one about lack of work experience. But it could also mean that the student may have been poorly networked, which could result in less connections with others. This will bode negatively on being able to secure a job, as those who are able to get an endorsement from a well known and respected person will be significantly ahead of those who don't.

7. Lack of preparation: This point also goes back to the very 1st point about unrealistic expectations. Those college graduates who don't prepare for their future by getting good references, achieving highly overall while at college and developing excellent communication skills will find themselves frustrated by the fact they can't seem to get a job, although they are highly qualified.

By www.healthenquire.com - Your No 1 Health Resource Center

3 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by whirlwind7(m): 1:33pm On Dec 03, 2013
8. You failed to mention this singular and important reason: that corruption and government insensitivity is the highest single reason why graduates can't get jobs.

Corruption stops the creation of jobs

Corruption strangles development and existing firms cannot operate at optimal levels

Corruption ensures that the standard of education falls, and half baked graduates without skills are churned out
Why would a student study really hard, and try to acquire skills to go with it, when he knows he can just pay his way to good grades?

Corruption is the reason why ASUU is still on strike.

Trace the root cause of all the 7 reasons u mentioned, and tell me that corruption doesnt have a hand in any of them.
Government dont have all the blame, though:

Even with a well structured educational system, some graduates are just so dumb, you won't want to employ them as your "gateman"

45 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Mannastoress: 1:46pm On Dec 03, 2013
Good Point
whirlwind7: 8. You failed to mention this singular and important reason: that corruption and government insensitivity is the highest single reason why graduates can't get jobs.

Corruption strangles development and existing firms cannot operate at optimal levels

Corruption ensures that the standard of education falls, and half baked graduates without skills are churned out
Why would a student study really hard, and try to acquire skills to go with it, when he knows he can just pay his way to good grades?

Trace the root cause of all the 7 reasons u mentioned, and tell me that corruption doesnt have a hand in any of them.
Government dont have all the blame, though:

Even with a well structured educational system, some graduates are just so dumb, you won't want to employ them as your "gateman"

4 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by fasho01(m): 1:47pm On Dec 03, 2013
^ ^ ^ God bless you. You have just posted the main content of this thread. Corruption is the one & only problem & when I say corruption here, I mean it in all its FORMS
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Mannastoress: 1:49pm On Dec 03, 2013
IS ALL ABOUT SALARY
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by esbjaygmailco(m): 3:56pm On Dec 03, 2013
i sincerely agreed with you, my company just employed one guy (an electrical engineer), to be sincere with you this guy doesnt know how to use tester, he doesnt know anything about electrical, i just discovered today that the guy is zero theoretically and i asked myself one question, how does this guy passed his exams, a Bsc holder from ESUT. I'm equally a fresh graduate (mechanical engineer) but i can dismantle, assemble and overhaul an engine without any supervision. i was telling him what and what i can do which i did some in his presence and he asked me a question, where did u learn all these from? my response goes thus....... i did siwes and IT and i took it upon myself that i must know these things. today i can conveniently lay my hand on heavy duty engines and any mechanical machines as well as air condition and refrigerator. i think its just mind set. believe me

8 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Morgan1092(m): 3:57pm On Dec 03, 2013
Mek i read d post abeg

1 Like

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by shegzy4luv(m): 3:58pm On Dec 03, 2013
Noted! Go and die...
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Morgan1092(m): 3:59pm On Dec 03, 2013
Mannastoress: Some graduates in Nigeria are ILLUSTRATES and have no vision. i use to see in nairaland where people will post a question asking that he/she have been invited for an aptitude test in a coy and if anybody know how much the company pay as salary shocked shocked shocked are you just after the salary, are you even competent enough to get the job, what are your skills, they never ask sad sad sad sad
What! Pot calling kettle black

10 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 03, 2013
Somebody tell me what to comment pls, I'm short of words embarassed

1 Like

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 03, 2013
Morgan1092: What! Pot calling kettle black
grin grin grin....na wetin we dey talk be this..

Btw, 10th to comment. .thanks to God
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Morgan1092(m): 4:01pm On Dec 03, 2013
Mek i comment?
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Morgan1092(m): 4:02pm On Dec 03, 2013
OK
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 03, 2013
shegzy4luv: Noted! Go and die...
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 03, 2013
shegzy4luv: Noted! Go and die...

you can DO THE NEEDFUL first
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by emmawiz: 4:05pm On Dec 03, 2013
Our govtment bad ooo , dey no 1 giv ghetto man job ooo... In African chinas voice.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by tomsongz(m): 4:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
16th? No b onli
3post I just c now now
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by tosingcfr(m): 4:08pm On Dec 03, 2013
Mannastoress: Some graduates in Nigeria are illustrates and have no vision. i use to see in nairaland where people will post a question asking that he/she have been invited for an aptitude test in a coy and if anybody know how much the company pay as salary shocked shocked shocked are you just after the salary, are you even competent enough to get the job, what are your skills, they never ask sad sad sad sad
Are you a graduate? ? ? No offence intended

1 Like

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by lanrei(m): 4:13pm On Dec 03, 2013
Mannastoress: Some graduates in Nigeria are illustrates and have no vision. i use to see in nairaland where people will post a question asking that he/she have been invited for an aptitude test in a coy and if anybody know how much the company pay as salary shocked shocked shocked are you just after the salary, are you even competent enough to get the job, what are your skills, they never ask sad sad sad sad

your single ILLUSTRATE just got you nailed to the wall..Baba nee u sabi
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Marineetyon(m): 4:17pm On Dec 03, 2013
Madness
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 03, 2013
whirlwind7: 8. You failed to mention this singular and important reason: that corruption and government insensitivity is the highest single reason why graduates can't get jobs.

Typical!
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Jonemenike2000(m): 4:20pm On Dec 03, 2013
Morgan1092: What! Pot calling kettle black
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 03, 2013
I agree with your points except 4 and 6.

You hardly lose job because of referees. Most employers contact your referees/ask for references only at the point of giving you the job, that is even if they don't defer till confirmation period sef.

As for experience, no again. A fresh graduate is not expected to have experience. That is why he is 'fresh'. Even for some companies 1-2 years experiences are discarded. At best, work experience boosts your chance, it doesn't take away from your chnace as a graduate applicant.

1 Like

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 03, 2013
Because there are no jobs. Simple

2 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Ad4(m): 4:32pm On Dec 03, 2013
Most Nigerian graduate are really unrealistic in their quest to secure jobs. When I finished school, I was doing test with oil firms but I later realized that the queue was just too long so I decided to do something about it. I went for experience believing that if I get it, I would not have to stand in queues to get an oil job. I started with small firms that paid me as low as N13,000 a month. In such firms, I was everything. After 6 months, I would resign and move to another firm. As I moved, my experience increased and my money also increased. Today I am grateful to God that I work as a consultant now, fully qualified and still moving higher. N13,000 is not up to my tithe now and age is still on my side all thanks to God.I will soon move to that oil firm which I desired for years ago as an experienced hand.
Also, most Nigerian graduates do not understand the terrain. You as a Nigerian graduate is competing with a foreign graduate (LAUTECH graduate against an Oxford graduate) who has a better edge than you, so you must work harder and know something he does not know.
So stop blaming corruption, think global and work with that mentality.

12 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Aromas: 4:36pm On Dec 03, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:
i sincerely agreed with you, my company just employed one guy (an electrical engineer), to be sincere with you this guy doesnt know how to use tester, he doesnt know anything about electrical, i just discovered today that the guy is zero theoretically and i asked myself one question, how does this guy passed his exams, a Bsc holder from ESUT. I'm equally a fresh graduate (mechanical engineer) but i can dismantle, assemble and overhaul an engine without any supervision. i was telling him what and what i can do which i did some in his presence and he asked me a question, where did u learn all these from? my response goes thus....... i did siwes and IT and i took it upon myself that i must know these things. today i can conveniently lay my hand on heavy duty engines and any mechanical machines as well as air condition and refrigerator. i think its just mind set. believe me

9ce talk bro, please is it true dat most Nigeria engineering students mechanical,electrical don't work with there hands I mean they don't hold any tools like plier,schwedriver,spanner,hammer e.t.c. The main reason of dis my qustn is dat I argue wt a friend of mine who's currently 400L telling me everyday by day dat even though he get employ in any big company their work is 2 just supervise. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Olastep1(m): 4:38pm On Dec 03, 2013
i knew op's post will be long. Lemme now start reading. Thank u
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by talk4free: 4:41pm On Dec 03, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:

You might know how to couple and uncouple an engine but if your English is this poor you cannot be differentiated from a road side mechanic. That to me is the reason why MOST Nigerian graduates are not employable.

8 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Olugbenger(m): 4:41pm On Dec 03, 2013
I don't agree with the Op.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by vincvin(m): 4:47pm On Dec 03, 2013
3. Poor communication abilities: It is unusual for a
college graduate to have poor communication skills,
but nevertheless, some graduates still managed to
graduate with a degree yet still have
communication skills of a 5 year old.
Mannastoress: Most graduates in Nigeria are illiterate and have no vision. i use to see in nairaland where people will post a question asking that he/she have been invited for an aptitude test in a coy and if anybody know how much the company pay as salary shocked shocked shocked are you just after the salary, are you even competent enough to get the job, what are your skills, they never ask sad sad sad sad
when undergraduates/graduates begin to speak like 5yr olds ,you know that something,somewhere has gone terribly wrong

1 Like

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by abubaka101: 4:52pm On Dec 03, 2013
talk4free:

You might know how to couple and uncouple an engine but if your English is this poor you cannot be differentiated from a road side mechanic. That to me is the reason why MOST Nigerian graduates are not employable.
That was harsh! But it still is a true fact.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by destino24(m): 4:52pm On Dec 03, 2013
talk4free:

GBAM
The guy doesn't even know there is a difference between a B. Sc and a B. Eng

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Graduate Trainee At Saro Agrosciences Limited / N-power Batch C: Physical Verification Facts And Guidelines / Amazon Recruitment Of Software Developers In Nigeria 2022. How To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.