Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,694 members, 7,831,158 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Presidency Lied Against ASUU, By Nasir Fagge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Lied Against ASUU, By Nasir Fagge (894 Views)

This Did Not Happen In Edo State. See How They Lied Against Gov Oshiomhole. PICS / Radio Biafra Lied Against Me - President Buhari / Police Avert Explosion At Fagge Juma'at Mosque, Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency Lied Against ASUU, By Nasir Fagge by johntousin(m): 3:58pm On Dec 03, 2013
If you look at the Government’s paper of 6 November, 2013, it states that the Federal Government shall provide N200billion in 2013. ASUU’s letter to the President does not change that agreement.
1. Introduction

On Monday 4th November, 2013, the leadership of our Union had a meeting with a government team led by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. The meeting was necessary because all the previous government teams (separately led by the Minister of Education, Gov. Gabriel Suswam, the Minister of Labour and Productivity, Secretary to the Government of the Federation and by the Vice President) had failed to address the requests made by our Union ASUU to implement the 2009 Agreement in accordance with the 2012 Roadmap, and to commence the process of review of the said Agreement thereafter.

Gentlemen of the Press, the benefits of implementing the 2009 Agreement have been articulated severally in a number of addresses I made. Suffice to restate again that the objectives of the 2009 Agreement are:

i. To reverse the decay in the University System, in order to reposition it for greater responsibilities in national development;

ii. To reverse the brain drain, not only by enhancing the remuneration of academic staff, but also by disengaging them from the encumbrances of a unified civil service wage structure;

iii. To restore Nigerian Universities, through immediate, massive and sustained financial intervention; and,

iv. To ensure genuine University autonomy and academic freedom.

These objectives were made even more potent by the findings of Government Committee on the Needs Assessment of Nigerian Universities in 2012. The shocking findings of that Committee should make any serious government thoroughly ashamed of its colossal failings.

At the end of the meeting with President Jonathan, a message was given by the government to the members of ASUU nationwide. Branches deliberated and debated on the message and gave their responses to the National leadership of the Union. These responses were articulated by the National Executive Council (NEC) of ASUU and sent to President Jonathan through the supervising Minister of Education.

Gentlemen of the Press, since the issuance of the Union’s response to the said letter, the salvos that have been coming out, allegedly from the Minister of Education makes one to wonder whether the person that is charged with the responsibility of superintending over the Nigeria’s Education system has the wherewithal to handle such a vital national assignment. It is my intention this afternoon, therefore, to clear the air on the rumours, lies and mischiefs that are milling out of government circle (especially from Ministry of Education and National Universities Commission), all with the intent of misleading the Nigerian public. I will therefore speak to the letter from government and the yet-to-be-replied response of our Union. I will establish, to all discerning minds, that ASUU did not bring any ‘new conditions’ as claimed by the Minister of Education and the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Mr Doyin Okupe. Rather, it is government that is trying to avoid taking responsibility.
The Letter from Government to ASUU

The letter from the Government was communicated by the Federal Ministry of Education, ref. FME/TE/SS.IM/C.I/1/99 and was titled “Resolutions reached at the meeting between Federal Government and
Representatives of the Academic Staff Union of University (ASUU)” The content of that letter was not the judgment of a court: it was not, and could not be properly taken as conveying the words of a commander who must be obeyed.
Government’s communication was as follows:

1. “That the Federal Government is irrevocably committed to the overall improvement in the quality of education especially at the tertiary level in the country.

2. That there is an overarching need to find a lasting solution to the challenges facing university education in the country through the development of sustainable, affordable and implementable strategies that are within the revenue profile of government.

3. Arising from the above understanding, it was further noted with particular emphasis on funding that:

(a) Nigerian Universities must be revitalised for effective service delivery.

(b) All the provisions in the extant agreement/MoU for the revitalisation of the University system shall be fully implemented as captured in the 2012 Needs Assessment Report.

(c) Federal Government shall mobilise resources towards this goal.
4. In view of the above understanding the following resolutions were reached:

i. Federal Government shall provide funds for the revitalisation of the University system in the following manner in the next six years
http://premiumtimesng.com/opinion/150783-presidency-lied-ASUU-nasir-fagge.html
Re: Presidency Lied Against ASUU, By Nasir Fagge by jameswb: 5:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
i want to advice this so called politician please listen to the music as u see Me so by our own tuface and listen to the music prisoner by lucky dube of blessed memory they won't build school any more all they will build is prison and tuface said this so call leader think that their money give them the power buh the power is notin if ur ppl can't get quality education the power is notin if ur ppl have no peace only God can judge u nw . Our sch are now centres for exam writing instead of centre for learning it ia a pity this ASUU ish will definite lead to the revolution we need in our country God bless ........... Freedom fighters
Re: Presidency Lied Against ASUU, By Nasir Fagge by shidof(m): 5:18pm On Dec 03, 2013
This govt is just full of deceit with a lot of liars
Re: Presidency Lied Against ASUU, By Nasir Fagge by omenka(m): 5:29pm On Dec 03, 2013
This is what ASUU should have done from the onset, expose the lies being fed the nigerian public so they could channel their frustrations and anger in the right direction.
Re: Presidency Lied Against ASUU, By Nasir Fagge by touch4mony: 8:27pm On Dec 03, 2013
Govt to provide 200billion in 2013 as at nov6th yr nvr finish,tell fg say una need Xmas money
Re: Presidency Lied Against ASUU, By Nasir Fagge by wesley80(m): 8:44pm On Dec 03, 2013
Sometimes you just have to wonder if Nigerians can read! I understand most of the posters here are political jobbers but what da hell!
Why didnt Fagge and his thieving crew demand for salaries they didnt work for while they were negotiating with the President? Why have they now included it as a mandatory condition before the strike is called off? Isnt it obvious that the other conditions are mere covers for their greedy agenda of receiving money they didnt work for? Who ever heard of labour leaders being victimized by the govt? If the NLC and TUC leaders have not faced victimization despite their numerous strike action what on earth is ASUU guardin against? What if the AG signs the agreement, would that stop the govt from reneging if they want to? These are mere smokescreens, what ASUU really want is the 5 months salary they didnt work for period! greedy oaves

(1) (Reply)

He Was Stripped Naked, Thrown Into Cage & Eaten Alive By Dogs [DETAILS] / Nyako: Resignation Vs Fighting Impeachment / B/haram:The Future Of Nigeria At Stake Warns US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.