Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,171 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Schools Reopen: Right Action, Wrong Timing - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Schools Reopen: Right Action, Wrong Timing (512 Views)

Trouble Looms In OAU As Men In Uniform Get Ready To Zoom Into Action ! / Ebola Outbreak: Liberia Schools Reopen After Six Months / EBOLA: Liberia Schools Reopen After Six Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Schools Reopen: Right Action, Wrong Timing by chalxdon(m): 2:58pm On Dec 04, 2013
RIGHT ACTION, WRONG TIMING

Yes, it's a goodnews that many universities have pulled out of the on-going ASUU strike following unending throwing of wits by both parties. This is as a result of FG's directives/threats and/or universities' decision to reopen their schools.
Without doubt this is one of the best news for parents, guardians and students alike for this half of the year. We are all grateful, not that we have a choice.
Today, am not writing yet on the negative effects the strike has caused - that's a story for another day; am however writing on the wrong timing of these actions.
Majority of the schools that have recently decided to open their doors to academic activities have declared 9th Dec (the same deadline given by the FG/NUC/Vice chancellors, whoever) and I began to wonder why choose such a date...ludicrous as it is, which is barely 2 weeks to the usual Christmas holiday. I thought further.....shouldn't January, 6th or thereabouts, be a more reasonable and logical date?? This surely casts doubts over concerns for the students' care, security and all that.
Did they consider the abundant risks on our roads and cost of traveling hundreds of miles from one part of the country to the other just to travel back (for most of students shaa) for Christmas, then travel back come January
Students have stayed at home for about 24 weeks. Two weeks wouldn't make a significant difference. Parents and students have suffered a lot because of this strike and any decision on resumption should at least be flexible and easier enough.
This might not sound reasonable to some irrational beings, but when we take time to think about people traveling from the north to the south, from the west to the east, from the east to the north e.t.c. especially at this busy period of the year. I don't want to delve into the psychological aspect on how mentally ready the students are at this period of the year to resume studies immediately.
I salute the courage of the schools that have reopened their schools. Their actions are well intended, but the TIMING is just wrong and o dirokwa nma (it's not fair).
This is just my opinion shaa and everybody's got theirs. What's your own??

1 Like

Re: Schools Reopen: Right Action, Wrong Timing by ennon92(m): 3:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
U re right but there's nothing one can do about it.
Re: Schools Reopen: Right Action, Wrong Timing by chalxdon(m): 8:06pm On Dec 04, 2013
ennon92: U re right but there's nothing one can do about it.
Yea, that's pathetic

(1) (Reply)

FG Orders Vcs To Reopen Federal Universities / 2013/2014 Lagos State Local Scholarship Interviews / How To Solve Mathematics Word Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.