Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle (15315 Views)

LASTMA Official, Army Cadet & Police In A Brawl In Lagos Today (Pics) / Oyibo Man Enters LASTMA Bike To Beat Traffic On Ikorodu Road [photos] / Lagos Stops LASTMA From Impounding Vehicles To Ensure Free Flow Of Traffic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by zopaks: 5:02pm On Dec 05, 2013
.that's bad
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by obizy1(m): 5:02pm On Dec 05, 2013
Bin long since yarnED

anyhow sha front page tins
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by Samoo01: 5:05pm On Dec 05, 2013
Exactly what transpired between the lawyer and the authorities? On what basis was he arrested and how much fine did he pay before filling this lawsuit? Can the lawyer actually sue a law enforcement official (having already secured judgement against his employer, LASTMA) based on altercation he had with him while on duty? This is a subnormal news report.

1 Like

Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by soulglo: 5:25pm On Dec 05, 2013
He did not win the case because he is a lawyer. He won because he knows his rights and he exercised his right. If 50% of Nigerians sued when they are unlawfully harassed by military officials, unlawfully detained by police officers etc these people will straighten up. People would rather give the excuse that it takes too long or it's too much stress. This man did not just win the case against LASTMA but also got clearance to legally go after the specific officer that violated his rights. Trust me if these idiot officers know that someone could sue them and that half of their paychecks would go to the person they messed with until paid in full they will start falling in line. The laws are already there. I love stories like this. It shows that many things have changed in Nigeria and it is the people that should be catching up in many cases

5 Likes

Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by akintun: 5:30pm On Dec 05, 2013
D judiciary is just messed up. 220,000 only. When dey start awarding 50million, then lastma would change their ways. Stupid judgement from a l..y judge.

1 Like

Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by tok2sob: 5:38pm On Dec 05, 2013
jerrymania: ok we haf hear. wetin else again?

Gbagaun
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by enoks(m): 5:43pm On Dec 05, 2013
tpacalipse: Nah for school the whole efisi finish oga. Come to the streets, nah charge and bail be dem jobs or oga u won do affidavit? Go to the USA, you will find them at every street corner and hospital ambushing accident victims in case they have someone to sue for their predicament. So, make we here word jare.
when u r involved in a dispute make u sure u buy law books,read them very well and be a counsel to yourself!!! All the things you said do they diminish the importance of lawyers in societies? Don't just open your mouth and say things that suggests you are not properly schooled.

7 Likes

Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 05, 2013
Thank God! At last! cheesy....
Serves Lastma right!..yea!
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by numericalguy(m): 5:48pm On Dec 05, 2013
Habba! 200K after 11 months. That money can't be enough to put back the vehicle after being parked for so long. Also having denied the man from using the vehicle for so long, I should expect nothing less than N20 million to deter any other over zealos lasma person fron infringing on the rights of inocent Nigerians
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by naptu2: 5:56pm On Dec 05, 2013
Samoo01: Exactly what transpired between the lawyer and the authorities? On what basis was he arrested and how much fine did he pay before filling this lawsuit? Can the lawyer actually sue a law enforcement official (having already secured judgement against his employer, LASTMA) based on altercation he had with him while on duty? This is a subnormal news report.

The judgement is perfectly correct and this is not the first of such cases that lastma has lost (there's also the Jonathan Odutola case).

The Constitution of Nigeria gives citizens the right to fair hearing and there is a legal maxim that nemo judex in causa sua (you can't be a judge in your own cause).

Lastma can only arrest offenders, they can not fine anyone. Any fine they impose is illegal. Only the courts can impose such penalties.

2 Likes

Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by naptu2: 6:05pm On Dec 05, 2013
The criminal justice system is structured in this manner.

Investigators/prosecutors: Law enforcement officers (eg lastma and the police) investigate and arrest offenders. The DPP's office (and sometimes law enforcement officers) prosecute the cases. Basically, they are accusing you of committing a crime.

Judiciary: The judge is meant to adjudicate over the matter and determine if you are guilty or not and if the state is at fault. The judge should be impartial.

Judiciary/jury: They determine guilt and sentence offenders.

Now, how can one agency accuse you of a crime, decide that you are guilty and sentence you to pay a fine (or impound your car)? Will they be impartial and fair?

2 Likes

Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by temizt: 6:09pm On Dec 05, 2013
Interesting! Is this truly happening in Nigeria? Oh?
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by Vincent41(m): 6:27pm On Dec 05, 2013
mike404:

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/12/04/court-awards-n200000-against-lastma-for-impounding-lawyers-vehicle/

chaiiii dis Lawyer is Good ooooo..if na Me,dem most pay me 3 Million
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by 2busy: 6:54pm On Dec 05, 2013
mike404: WELL LET'S WAIT AND SEE IF MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD PARTY SUPPORTERS WILL ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN

what has religion gone to do with moving topics to front page
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by hardbody: 6:56pm On Dec 05, 2013
mekaboy: so a case filed since feb is getting judgement in december. will 220k be able to take care of the damages on his car parked since?

this is why pple dont fight for their right anymore because before u get judgement u fit don old finish.

People thinking like you are the reason this country continues to slide. There are times you just test a position at law so that there will be a precedent. Apart from that guy that sued and won, dont you know that idio.ts like you have been given an opportunity to contend with LASTMA based on that judgment? Go ahead and leave your rights to God, he will come down and fight for it. I have never had LASTMA tow my car, the day it ever happens, i will leave the car for them in perpetuity until i would have gotten a similar judgment. The difference is that having obtained that judgment, i will appeal on the amount of damages and i will go all the way to the Supreme court, then i will come back and ensure that i levy execution against the exact officer that did the rubbish. By the time i am done with him, he and his family will be begging for food on the streets.

2 Likes

Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by Nobody: 6:59pm On Dec 05, 2013
broke people always tink they have a*s
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by webprince(m): 7:13pm On Dec 05, 2013
Good judgement!
Question is - How many helpless Nigerians can afford the legal fees and rigorous process of suing lastma, police, etc?!
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 05, 2013
fruityjojo: kiss
are u a Uite?
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by andyanders: 7:20pm On Dec 05, 2013
Lastma is just bunch of fools without brain.
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by lumeneng22: 7:25pm On Dec 05, 2013
Warri no de carry last na! Next time you last men see wafi gae, just turn ur face to the opposite direction.
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by fruityjojo(f): 7:25pm On Dec 05, 2013
Bolushalom: are u a Uite?
What's that?
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
akintun: D judiciary is just messed up. 220,000 only. When dey start awarding 50million, then lastma would change their ways. Stupid judgement from a l..y judge.
The purpose of suing is not just about the money, its also about justice. The lawyer may not even be concerned about the money, knowing he fought for his right and won may just be enough for him. The duty of the Judiciary is to ensure justice not to dish out money.
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 05, 2013
fruityjojo:
What's that?
A student of the University of Ibadan. The badge in ur picture was given to law students last year, that's why I asked
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by Slimmos(m): 7:35pm On Dec 05, 2013
Dat's y is good to b a learned fellow....imagine it was an agbero or illitrate 's car dat was impounded by d foolish last or backwardmen...he would hav pay bribe for his car to b released....even though he is on his right...but iliteracy wont allow him to know he is on his right..............lastman sucks,,,,,,fashola sucks......aregbesola sucks......tinubu sucks.....all APC Governors sucks....rubbish
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by Tunby(m): 7:56pm On Dec 05, 2013
tpacalipse: Nah for school the whole efisi finish oga. Come to the streets, nah charge and bail be dem jobs or oga u won do affidavit? Go to the USA, you will find them at every street corner and hospital ambushing accident victims in case they have someone to sue for their predicament. So, make we here word jare.
Big fat LIAR you are
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by okpukmbat: 8:02pm On Dec 05, 2013
them think say na me........
I told them before now .....that the same hand where them used killed fly, na the same hand them go carry kill bees .......emamuel thank you for answering my prayer sharpenly.
Pastor pls give me chance to thank God with one song ........fly where no get adviser ..he dey follow coffin peme for inside grave....oooooooooooo
congregation, oya one .....two go ........my heart too red
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by fruityjojo(f): 8:09pm On Dec 05, 2013
Bolushalom: A student of the University of Ibadan. The badge in ur picture was given to law students last year, that's why I asked
cheesy No. Student of Ambrose Alli Uni. It was given 2 us too.
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 05, 2013
fruityjojo:
cheesy No. Student of Ambrose Alli Uni. It was given 2 us too.
Okies
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by owellej(m): 8:33pm On Dec 05, 2013
mike404:

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/12/04/court-awards-n200000-against-lastma-for-impounding-lawyers-vehicle/
#200,000? Good money to celebrate dis christmas. Make i try my luck. Wia my okada dey... Against traffic all the way!
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by adebayoggt(m): 8:40pm On Dec 05, 2013
Lastma has help 2 put those danfo boys n check.
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by octopusgb: 8:47pm On Dec 05, 2013
na so ur frustration reach?? Find a life bro.
Re: Court Awards N200,000 Against LASTMA For Impounding Lawyer’s Vehicle by BabaEto1: 8:54pm On Dec 05, 2013

I wonder why people like you reason this way. You mean the only aspect of the legal profession you know is the "charge and bail lawyers" ? So you have not seen successful lawyers working in big time law firms and winning cases for the benefit of the society ? Try and think before you comment on issues please.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Serap Gives Njc 7days To Refer Released Judges To Efcc, Icpc For prosecution / Demolition Of Ekeukwu Market: Okorocha Turning Himself To A Tyrant- Imo Leaders / Masari: I Have No Joy Governing Katsina — The Insecurity Is Alarming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.