Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:00 AM

Claiming Dividends - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Claiming Dividends (1175 Views)

When Will Ecobank Shareholders Get Dividends? / GtBank & First Bank Dividends In 2013 / Has GTB Declared Share Bonus & Dividends For 2011 Ending? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Claiming Dividends by YellowBastard: 8:08pm On Dec 04, 2013
Hello Business People

I wish to claim the dividends of an investment made by a DECEASED relative.

Anyone with ideas on how to go about this.

In addition, I would like to change the ownership as well.

Expecting your reply.

YB
Re: Claiming Dividends by walcolm(m): 10:55am On Dec 07, 2013
Why do you want to claim the dividend of a dead relative? Are you the person's heir?

It is criminal to try to claim what doesn't belong to you
Re: Claiming Dividends by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:51pm On Dec 07, 2013
YellowBastard: Hello Business People

I wish to claim the dividends of an investment made by a DECEASED relative.

Anyone with ideas on how to go about this.

In addition, I would like to change the ownership as well.

Expecting your reply.

YB

The deceased person should be your father, mother or siblings. Except the deceased has a will that included you as a beneficiary of his estate.
But I doubt if the deceased has a will. In that case your will need a stockbroker or a lawyer that will assist you in getting a letter of administration from the high court. When you have the letter of administration, you will take it to the registrars in order to claim the dividends. Getting a letter of administration is not an easy task in a place like Lagos.
Re: Claiming Dividends by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:53pm On Dec 07, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

The deceased person should be your father, mother or siblings. Except the deceased has a will that included you as a beneficiary of his estate.
But I doubt if the deceased has a will. In that case your will need a stockbroker or a lawyer that will assist you in getting a letter of administration from the high court. When you have the letter of administration, you will take it to the registrars in order to claim the dividends. Getting a letter of administration is not an easy task in a place like Lagos.

That is why it is good to have a will, when you start accumulating assets so that things can be easy for our dependants or beneficiaries when we leave here for the great beyond.
Re: Claiming Dividends by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:56pm On Dec 07, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

That is why it is good to have a will, when you start accumulating assets so that things can be easy for our dependants or beneficiaries when we leave here for the great beyond.

It is also better to embrace e-dividend so that dividends can be paid directly into our accounts, and make one of our children a signatory to the account.

I am a signatory to my mom's accounts, but there is a[b] clause[/b]. I can only access or withdraw money from the account whenever she departs this world.
Re: Claiming Dividends by YellowBastard: 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2013
Thanks Emmanuel, actually what you wrote is exactly the information I got from the different Registrar(s).
Currently working with courts on obtaining letter of administration. It is lots of work though.

@walcom .... I really wonder why your first assumption is that I am a criminal. FYI, the deceased is/was my father.
Re: Claiming Dividends by saintneo(m): 4:49pm On Dec 07, 2013
I think is really negative for Nigerians to assume that anyone is criminal.

OP which kind username be this sef. Abeg update us after ur success for us to learn.
Re: Claiming Dividends by walcolm(m): 6:39pm On Dec 07, 2013
YellowBastard: Thanks Emmanuel, actually what you wrote is exactly the information I got from the different Registrar(s).
Currently working with courts on obtaining letter of administration. It is lots of work though.

@walcom .... I really wonder why your first assumption is that I am a criminal. FYI, the deceased is/was my father.

If the deceased was your father, you could have said that straight up..i responded based on the tone of your post

There are so many people who have taken possession of deceased relatives property when they are not supposed to have any claims to such property

That is why the process of getting a letter of administration is so cumbersome and long

(1) (Reply)

A Dredging Company Needs Equipments / Concerned Shareholders Sue CBN, Etc For Bank Phb's Nationalisation / Btc Scam Alert. A Must See!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.