Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,101 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Atheist Testing God With A Prayer - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Testing God With A Prayer (1118 Views)

This New Version Of The Bible Replaces Every Mention Of God With Kanye West / A Prayer Of Intercession / A Prayer For A Financial Blessing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by huxley(m): 10:17pm On Jul 25, 2008
I have a strong urge to put god to the test. And why not? Everyday millions of people put god to the test by making demands on god in the form of prayers. The course of life continues to unfold in exactly the same way it it has been for billions of years, with some events attributed to gods of one kind or the other. But is he really there listening to these prayers and deciding which to respond to favourably and which to ignore. OK, let me, an atheist, put him to the test just like theist, by offering the following prayer;

Oh, dear God, Father in heaven, you are the most high and worthy of praise and respect. I prayer from the bottom of the being, dear Father, that I may not and never win the grand million-pound lottery. In Jesus name, I prayer. Amen.

How do you think god will respond to this prayer?

1) If he becomes indignant that I don't believe in him, then he is not going to answer my prayer. If he does not answer my prayer, this means I shall win the grand million-pound lottery. Great financial result for me.

2) If he chooses to answer my prayer, in which case I never win the lottery. I would be no better or worse off than I am now.

Which way do you think god would go? This is a great prayer - why don't you guys give it a go?
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by huxley(m): 7:23pm On Aug 08, 2008
Anyone wants to join me in this prayer?
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by javalove(m): 7:27pm On Aug 08, 2008
there is more to ur being an atheist, may be sickness cheesy just kiidding
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 09, 2008
there are lots of gods but there is one true GOD. So i wonder which one you are refering to here. .You ain't specific enough, man! lol.

There is a God in Heaven who rules the affairs of men and answers prayers according to His will and purpose. tongue
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by manmustwac(m): 12:56am On Aug 10, 2008
I don't believe in prayers. I believe in actions. Actions speaks louder than words. So if u want to win the grand million pounds in the lottery. Ithink its best u spend around 3 million pounds on lottery tickets to make sure u win it grin
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by dreeldee: 1:04am On Aug 10, 2008
this guy needs urgent attention before he finds his way to the street otherwise they might spend more trying to tame him then. If anyone can, pls do help him
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by Lady2(f): 2:38am On Aug 10, 2008
Oh, dear God, Father in heaven, you are the most high and worthy of praise and respect. I prayer from the bottom of the being, dear Father, that I may not and never win the grand million-pound lottery. In Jesus name, I prayer. Amen.

"You shall not put the Lord thy God to the test." Matthew 4:7
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by IDINRETE: 10:19am On Aug 11, 2008
Dear Lady

what did JH do to make you upset?
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by pilgrim1(f): 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2008
huxley:

I prayer from the bottom of the being, dear Father,. . .

This is the funniest thread going! How did I miss this? Say after me: "I prayer from my heart. . " cheesy

Lol. . . anyhow, we all make typos. The one thing this atheist should involve in the test is faith. How does he expect to get the expected results by missing the necessary condition for such a "test"?

Here again is the first lesson in this regard: "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him" (Hebrews 11:6).

I guarantee that the "test" (in one may call it that at all) will procur some result will the necessary conditions are met. Good luck.
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by Lady2(f): 12:10am On Sep 19, 2008
what did JH do to make you upset?

Who is JH?

Um huxley, ppl don't put God to the test abeg. They petition him in prayer or they adore him in prayer. You know like you petition your mum or dad when you ask them for something? I don't think you're putting them to the test there now are you?
Pls abeg learn about Christianity before you start making assumptions ehn. It will only do you good. At least know what it is you're attacking instead of attacking out of ignorance.
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by Frizy(m): 9:13pm On Sep 19, 2008
You don't test God! God tests you!
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by manmustwac(m): 2:25am On Sep 20, 2008
Frizy:

You don't test God! God tests you!
So how dose God test you then?
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by IDINRETE: 10:04am On Sep 20, 2008
which of the gods are we putting to the test?
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by pilgrim1(f): 3:44pm On Sep 20, 2008
I wonder.
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by affee(f): 5:45pm On Sep 20, 2008
huxley's the name abi?

U funny no be small grin

U dont want to win millions of pounds in the lottery?

no problem

but like my sister pilgrim said, U first of all need faith

No 2
Is the God U prayed to,
''the on that has made the heavens his throne and the earth his footstool''

or another god?

ehen, another thing, your english is wonderful,

huxley:

U really funny.

I cant stop laughing

Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by Cayon(f): 8:41pm On Sep 20, 2008
I never understand you godless folks who don't believe in Christ yet y'all celebrate Christmas and Easter.

[b]Christ[/b]mas is the birth of Jesus Christ yet y'all gathering christmas tree singing carols.

Easter is about the death and resurrection of Christ yet y'all running around in eater bunny suits.

Peace
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by evangy69: 8:52pm On Sep 20, 2008
ALL ATHEIST- INTERESTING ONE FOR YOU ALL

DID YOU KNOW THESE FACTS?

I SURE DIDNT TILL NOW

Death is certain but the Bible speaks about untimely death!

Make a personal reflection about this,

Very interesting, read until the end,

It is written in the Bible (Galatians 6:7):

'Be not deceived; God is not mocked:

for whatsoever a man sow,

that shall he also reap.

Here are some men and women
who mocked God :

John Lennon (Singer):

Some years before, during his interview with an American Magazine, he said:
'Christianity will end, it will disappear.
I do not have to argue about that. I am certain.

Jesus was ok, but his subjects were too simple, today we are more famous than Him' (1966).

Lennon, after saying that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, was shot six times.

Tancredo Neves (President of Brazil ):

During the Presidential campaign, he said if he got 500,000 votes from his party, not even God would remove him from Presidency.

Sure he got the votes, but he got sick a day before being made President, then he died.

Cazuza (Brazilian composer, singer and poet):

During A show in Canecio ( Rio de Janeiro ), while smoking his cigarette, he puffed out some smoke into the air and said: 'God, that's for you.'

He died at the age of 32 of LUNG CANCER in a horrible manner.

The man who built the Titanic
After the construction of Titanic, a reporter asked him how safe the Titanic would be.

With an ironic tone he said:

'Not even God can sink it'

The result: I think you all know what happened to the Titanic

Marilyn Monroe (Actress)

She was visited by Billy Graham during a presentation of a show.
He said the Spirit of God had sent him to preach to her.

After hearing what the Preacher had to say, she said:

'I don't need your Jesus'.

A week later, she was found dead in her apartment

Bon Scott (Singer)

The ex-vocalist of the AC/DC. On one of his 1979 songs he sang:

'Don't stop me; I'm going down all the way, down the highway to hell'.

On the 19th of February 1980, Bon Scott was found dead, he had been choked by his own vomit.

Campinas (IN 2005)

In Campinas , Brazil a group of friends, drunk, went to pick up a friend,
The mother accompanied her to the car and was so worried about the drunkenness of her friends and she said to the daughter holding her hand, who was already seated in the car:

'My Daughter, Go With God And May He Protect You.'

She responded: 'Only If He (God) Travels In The Trunk, Cause Inside Here, It's Already Full '

Hours later, news came by that they had been involved in a fatal accident, everyone had died, and the car could not be recognized what type of car it had been, but surprisingly, the trunk was intact. The police said there was no way the trunk could have remained intact. To their surprise, inside the trunk was a crate of eggs, none was broken

Christine Hewitt (Jamaican Journalist and entertainer)
said the Bible (Word of God) was the worst book ever written.

In June 2006 she was found burnt beyond recognition in her motor vehicle.

Many more important people have forgotten that there is no other name that was given so much authority as the name of Jesus.

Many have died, but only Jesus died and rose again, and he is still alive.

'Jesus'
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by Baxilexi(m): 8:57pm On Sep 20, 2008
@cayon, iám a christain, but just to correct you, no one knows the birth of christ,25 of december was a date set by pope gregory, who also made the present calender in which we use today.

also, easter was a day set aside but the jews in respect to a god called eastern, it was a coincidence that Jsesus died on the same day.

but nonetheless christains allover the world have agreed to this dates to worship our one true God.
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by Cayon(f): 9:06pm On Sep 20, 2008
Baxilexi:

@cayon, iám a christain, but just to correct you, no one knows the birth of christ,25 of december was a date set by pope gregory, who also made the present calender in which we use today.

also, easter was a day set aside but the jews in respect to a god called eastern, [s]it was a coincidence that Jsesus died on the same day.[/s]but nonetheless christains allover the world have agreed to this dates to worship our one true God.
I agree with you but i was just curious why Athiest celebrate these holidays knowing the meaning behind of them

Peace
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by manmustwac(m): 9:13pm On Sep 20, 2008
Cayon:

I never understand you godless folks who don't believe in Christ yet y'all celebrate Christmas and Easter.

Christ[/b]mas is the birth of Jesus Christ yet y'all gathering christmas tree singing carols.

Easter is about the death and resurrection of Christ yet y'all running around in eater bunny suits.

Peace
[b]Cayon its a very good excuse to partyyyy. In nigeria we celebrate our independance which is October 1st every year but theres nothing to celebrate as the country is deteriorating everyday.
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by pilgrim1(f): 9:18pm On Sep 20, 2008
@manmustwac,

manmustwac:

Cayon its a very good excuse to partyyyy. In nigeria we celebrate our independance which is October 1st every year but theres nothing to celebrate as the country is deteriorating everyday.

The condition of beloved Nigeria should not dampen the celebration. Life is truly worth celebrating - when that day comes, take a few moments to celebrate. It's worth the joy of being counted as a Nigeria anywhere on the face of planet earth! cheesy
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by pilgrim1(f): 9:19pm On Sep 20, 2008
Baxilexi:

also, easter was a day set aside but the jews in respect to a god called eastern, it was a coincidence that Jsesus died on the same day.

@Baxilexi,

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but which god is called "eastern"? Can we get some references?
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by Yemtay: 9:23pm On Sep 20, 2008
Please, i cant log in to uniben just to check my PUME. Please, help me out
Re: Atheist Testing God With A Prayer by Lady2(f): 11:26pm On Sep 20, 2008

but nonetheless christains allover the world have agreed to this dates to worship our one true God.

Please don't insult the Jews with your ignorance of their religion. Easter is not celebrated by the Jews. It is celebrated by Christians.
As for December 25. Here's why it is on that date.

The Church has two themes in the liturgical year: Christ Our Light and Christ Our Life.
Christmas is celebrated during Christ Our Light, which is made up of Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, and the Baptism of the Lord.
The exact date of Jesus' birth is unknown, but to determine when to celebrate his birthday this is what was done:

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world." If Jesus was the light of the world, what time of year does the light begin to increase? After the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice, daylight increases, second by second, minute by minute, until we have the longest day of the year, the summer solstice. After that, the amount of daylight begins to decrease, little by little, bit by bit, until we again reach the sortest day. So the light increases after the winer solstice, which is December 21.

St. John the Baptist, the cousin of Jesus and the one who was witness for Christ said, "I must decrease, so He may increase. If John said he must decrease, so Jesus can increase, when does daylight begin to decrease? After the summer solstice, which is June 21.

Since the calendar year was changed from the Julius Ceasar calendar to the Pope Gregory one, a few days have been moved around here and there. In any event, the Church picked December 25 (close to the winter solstice and after the shortest day of the year) to celebrate the birth of Jesus, the light of the world, by using a calendar date that coincides with the increase of daylight. The birthday of St. John the Baptist (I must decrease) is celebrated on June 24, shortly after the summer solstice and after the longest day of the year, when daylight begins to decrease.

There that is why December 25 is celebrated as Jesus' birthday.

(1) (Reply)

Prophet T.b. Joshua Donates Two Brand New Transformer To Our Community / I Am Coming Part Viii - Susan Davis / Is God Evil ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.