Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,526 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! (37631 Views)

Nigerians Living In Barbados / Any Nigerian In Barbados? / Naija that lives in (Barbados) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 7:04am On Jul 26, 2008
Iv been here 4 about 7 months and only met bout 2 Nigerian guys.  i met a few nurses though.

1 Like

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Joseph6(m): 7:12am On Jul 26, 2008
ok its either u're trying 2 get laid or u're just a kid, which one are u?

4 Likes

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 7:14am On Jul 26, 2008
none just need some more friends from home. wots up wit u
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by beecrofty(m): 9:45pm On Jul 27, 2008
@sammy,

can you lead me through the process of getting to barbados through naija? want to visit along with my wife.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 9:53pm On Jul 27, 2008
Barbados is visa free for Nigerians visiting for less than a month. Depending on your airline, you might need a transit visa. Most airlines fly through England so a UK transit visa might be needed. No direct flights from Nigeria yet. If you have a valid UK visa, it's ok. If you don't, the UK transit visas are very easy to secure and they are the cheapest. A flight to Barbados during peak periods are between $us2200-2500, non peak periods $1700-2000. Lengthy stays might be very costly. Overall, its a trip to make. I'll advise you use the british embassy in Ibadan for the transit visas if you have none.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by LondonCool(m): 10:08pm On Jul 27, 2008
[.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 10:11pm On Jul 27, 2008
wow sweet. its either they don't shout or i don't listen out well. tnx for d info. just mayb we'l meet.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 10:18pm On Jul 27, 2008
u can ask questns ere 2. @ beecroft
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by LondonCool(m): 10:43pm On Jul 27, 2008
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 10:48pm On Jul 27, 2008
hmm i met Dr Okey @ sch. mayb he'll refer me. tnx.

1 Like

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by RolandPet(m): 12:35pm On Jul 28, 2008
Dear Sammy,

i will like to come and study in Barbados,can you hint me on their school system,Environment whether friendly or not? and what i should be expecting while studying there.

Also how is there economy,can i have something doing while studying?,if i come in with some money,can i invest in a business that will give me a good return,bacause i will be coming for master degree not undergraduate!

Hope to hear from asap.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 3:52pm On Jul 28, 2008
The education is superb and the environment is perfect for quality studying. The only problem is that its really difficult for a foreigner from our part of the world to establish here. Extremely difficult to get a good job too as they have one of those governments that put citizens first. Your living costs can be quite expensive as well as your education. There's just one University here- The University of the West Indies. Tuition and economic costs should vary between 12000 and 17000usd depending on your program. Businesses that can thrive here are limited so your business' survival depends mostly on its nature and its capital. You should expect the usual african bias when you come- especially west Africans. The economy is most likely to generate returns on your investments in the long run if you decide to establish. It is best however, to focus on the education and maybe get a part-time job. The schooling here needs a lot of your time, and as much as possible, it would be nice for the few Nigerians here to get all the best grades. Its a good destination for fun and studies generally. www.cavehill.uwi.edu
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by RolandPet(m): 6:57pm On Jul 28, 2008
Thanks very much sammy,

I will works towards that,i have seen a nice course in that school which i should have been completing if the British high commission here in Nigeria granted me visa last year when i applied for my Msc Program.

I hope you will be of a great help to me when i commence the application process cous they have close for this yr session,please do i need a visa for my study?is it difficult to secure their student visa ? can i easily travel to another country expecially europe or america during schools holliday if my papers are correct.

Thanks for coperations.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by dnative(m): 9:08pm On Jul 28, 2008
my guy - why you go wan pay 6,000 to 8,000 pounds for a masters degree in barbados. How acceptable are these degrees in nigeria (except you don't intend to use it to work in naija) and the guy on ground has just told you, no work there o especially for west africans. shine your eyes before you drop that cash.

Depending on your course of study, in my own opinion, if you have up to 8k pounds to burn, why not pursue your master's degree in a top school in nigeria. Until I'm proved wrong, except you are in the tourism or hospitality industry, I don't see rationale in going to pay that much for a masters degree in the WI. Or except you are just looking at studying anywhere else but Nigeria. My 2 cents.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by LondonCool(m): 9:55pm On Jul 28, 2008
dnative:

my guy - why you go wan pay 6,000 to 8,000 pounds for a masters degree in barbados. How acceptable are these degrees in nigeria (except you don't intend to use it to work in naija) and the guy on ground has just told you, no work there o especially for west africans. shine your eyes before you drop that cash.

Depending on your course of study, in my own opinion, if you have up to 8k pounds to burn, why not pursue your master's degree in a top school in nigeria. Until I'm proved wrong, except you are in the tourism or hospitality industry, I don't see rationale in going to pay that much for a masters degree in the WI. Or except you are just looking at studying anywhere else but Nigeria. My 2 cents.

The QUALITY of education in Barbados is FAR much better than what obtains in Nigeria, from Primary school to University Level. The University of West Indies have lots of Researchers and lecturers working as Consultants for so many US and UN organisations and they are world class. Which is the top school in Nigeria you are asking him to burn his £8k ? He could rather  use his £8K and pay for his first year in UK and get a job to off-set the associated costs. Barbados is a harsh place to live for foreigners because the cost of living is very expensive and very few jobs to go round.Most residents usually ask visitors to bring foodstuff from abroad to them due to the cheap cost. As an ex-british colony Barbados still maintains the high UK educational standards. My nephews are on scholarship from the Barbados Govt there and they are much better products than your average Nigerian students. Globalisation has made education abroad a bit more interesting,its not just about schooling in UK or US as lots of Eastern European and South American countries (including the Caribbeans) have very high standards of University education with lecturers from all over the world. I have lots of friends schooling in Ukraine and Czech Rep on scholarship for Phd courses by the host countries. If Nigeria does not recognise the foreign qualifications thats their loss, at least they are better than all those State and private Universities that have been accredited by NUC by borrowing facilities from each other.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 11:41pm On Jul 28, 2008
International companies rush students with a second class upper here. Im quick to condemn, but if theres something i commend them for here, its the tertiary education. @ Roland the University processes the student visas for you as soon as you resume, so thats no problem. If you are legal, the caribbean is yours to tour, and maybe short visits to the states. the application process is not too complicated as well. U av no problems.

1 Like

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by dnative(m): 5:50am On Jul 29, 2008
I'm presuming that he's not able to go to the UK or US for studying which is why he's considering the West Indies option. WI degrees might be acceptable to UN and some other world organisations but my emphasis is that if this guy intends to work in Nigeria he should do his due diligence on the acceptability of WI degrees to Nigerian employers. Would they give these a higher regard over a PG degree from Unilag or OAU for instance?Not asking him to pay 8k for a school in Nigeria. My suggestion was that he go to a top school in nigeria. Unilag, UI, OAU, Uniben, UniCal still offers PG studies which he could get for far more cheaper fees and he could use his 8k for something else.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by dapsycool(m): 6:51am On Jul 29, 2008
dnative, I do not agree with you one bit, comparing UWI to the best Uni in Nigeria doesn't make sense. There are no universities in Nigeria, the best Uni OAU is ranked between 4000 and 5000 in the world,and the third in Nigeria uniben is somewhere around 8000, that's why some Nigerian graduates go to Usa to become taxi drivers. Employers know admission in 9ja is do or die, our lecturers can be bribed, u can buy 2.1 even in unilag. While some of these south American uni's are in the top 1000 better than some uni's even in the uk. There is another in isreal, which is highly reputable worldwide, an institute in Indian supplies Usa with software engineers, university of helsinki, finland is among the best in the world, so it's not about specific countries, usa, canada and uk only. It's about quality. I'd choose university of ghana and university of cape town over any in 9ja.

1 Like

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by RolandPet(m): 4:08pm On Jul 29, 2008
@dnative,

You just spoke your mind and i really appreciate that,if i want to throw my 8,9 or even 100k is none of your bissss, ,i have done my feasibilty studies well.So thanks once again for your contibution.

@londoncool,samy, anddaysycool,,

i really appreciate you guys eye opening on dnative,he seems to be in total darkness by comparing Nigeria universities with caribeans,he should be comparing Nigeria university with those in Sudan and Togo, to be honest with you.

Do you know that i studied Petroleum Engineering for five years without doing any practical work on it,everything was theoretical,no reasearch work,unquailified tutors,some of them i even know better than.

I will be working towards my career objectives nomatter what anybody says,anything my mind conceive is always go to go!

Cheers sammy.

1 Like

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by vikiviko(m): 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2008
A nigerian Kingsley osadolor, 37 a visitor in barbados drowned on friday evening while in swiming session in browne's beach.
His body was retrieved two hours later after private divers came.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 7:16pm On Jul 29, 2008
vikiviko just spoiled my day. was about to do the same embarassed
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Bossman(m): 9:03pm On Jul 29, 2008
Wow! There are actually some Nigerians is Barbados? It's one of the bigger Caribbean islands. Frequented mostly by British and American tourists. I have been there with my family twice while on vacation. Our cruise ship had a stop over there. On both occasions, we just hit one of the beaches and did a mini tour of the island. Very beautiful island with lots of beaches. I was just there in March.

I will not advice anyone to go there with the hope of getting a job though. The locals are considered first. Even Americans and British must have extremely rare qualifications to be able to get a job there. Besides, the #1 source of revenue there, like most other islands, is tourism.

1 Like

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Bossman(m): 9:15pm On Jul 29, 2008
According to google, this person is a spokesperson for Edo state. Is this the same individual? Google strangely could not come up on anything regarding a drowning/death though. What is your source?

vikiviko:

A nigerian Kingsley osadolor, 37 a visitor in barbados drowned on friday evening while in swiming session in browne's beach.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by TheSly: 9:28pm On Jul 29, 2008
vikiviko:

So What has this got to do with the thread? Any veracity to the story OR it is just a hearsay? undecided
Its true some fellaz would see something bad even if they are surrounded with paradise.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 10:35pm On Jul 29, 2008
just chekd. He just dived in and didnt come back up. Sad. Anywayzzz hmm. wot were we saying
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by funkybaby(f): 10:03am On Jul 30, 2008
Roland Pet:

@dnative,

You just spoke your mind and i really appreciate that,if i want to throw my 8,9 or even 100k is none of your bissss, ,i have done my feasibilty studies well.So thanks once again for your contibution.

i really appreciate you guys eye opening on dnative,he seems to be in total darkness by comparing Nigeria universities with caribeans

That in my own opinion is totally uncalled for. All dnative stated was his own candid/insightful opinion and i can't help but see reason with him.

While i am not going to be drawn into an arguement about the quality or otherwise of Nigeria's university education system, be informed that the system has produced so many graduates that are doing excellently well in their chosen fields but locally and internationally.

Roland Pet:

Do you know that i studied Petroleum Engineering for five years without doing any practical work on it,everything was theoretical,no reasearch work,unquailified tutors,some of them i even know better than.

I'm guessing that you intend pursuing a postgraduate degree in the oil and gas sector.

Well, thats another reason why you should see things a bit from dnative's perspective and put your 8k into good use. Last time i checked, oil companies considered those with postgraduate degrees from universities that are widely respected for their oil and gas related degrees.

Have you thought about the career prospects in west indies? Or you think you can get a very good job offer in a company in say UK or Naija with such degree when such companies have their heads full on deciding the number of graduates to employ from schools like RGU?

1 Like

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by PapaBrowne(m): 11:15am On Jul 30, 2008
Sammy107_d:

vikiviko just spoiled my day. was about to do the same embarassed
@sammy107_d
You were about to do the same as in "drowning" or "swimmimg" in browne's beach?? Which one?? Abeg eh, don't do the same oh!

Anyways, Barbados is marvellous. But how do you cope with the costs man?? The place is expensive.Everything is like thrice the cost of what obtains elsewhere. Its worth every penny though.
Two crazy dreamzzzzz I have: One has to do with Barbados!!

@Studying in Barbados  VS   Nigeria Universities
It all depends on your career aspirations. If you are looking at an Oil & Gas related Masters Degree, studying in barbados wouldn't cut it at all,except the oil u are looking to drill is Cod liver oil.
The hottest careers are in the Hospitality, Real Estate and Finance industry.Finance is really hot especially if you have an ACCA. So anything in this direction would be cool. But methinks, you can make anything possible anywhere, it all depends on you.

As per Naija Universities, Hmmm!They've really produced excellent as well as inferior graduates.The proportion however, favoring inferiority maybe 2:10.

2 Likes

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by funkybaby(f): 1:18pm On Jul 30, 2008
PapaBrowne:

@Studying in Barbados  VS   Nigeria Universities
It all depends on your career aspirations. If you are looking at an Oil & Gas related Masters Degree, studying in barbados wouldn't cut it at all, except the oil u are looking to drill is Cod liver oil.

Roflmao! grin grin

PapaBrowne:

The hottest careers are in the Hospitality, Real Estate and Finance industry.Finance is really hot especially if you have an ACCA. So anything in this direction would be cool. But methinks, you can make anything possible anywhere, it all depends on you.

Very true. Those in the medical field also have great career prospects there as well.

PapaBrowne:

As per Naija Universities, Hmmm!They've really produced excellent as well as inferior graduates.The proportion however, favoring inferiority maybe 2:10.

Lol. Haba, papabrowne! grin grin .
Which kind ratio/proportion be that?
Agreed, its bad. But not that bad bad

1 Like

Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by LondonCool(m): 2:29pm On Jul 30, 2008
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by funkybaby(f): 2:47pm On Jul 30, 2008
LondonCool:

Do you know that Barbados has been producing Crude Oil for the past 50 years ? Do you know that Trinidad and Tobago are a Crude Oil exporting nation ? Who said that Oil & Gas degree's in the Caribbeans are not recognised in the Oil industry. Its all about your ability and proficiency not which country you schooled. Lots of Nigerians who studied MBA in Oil & Gas from Dundee University in UK are still unemployed, others do have jobs. The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, wherever you find yourself make the best of any opportunity there and the God of favour will do the rest. I think people need to travel to other coutries to appreciate whats good about them, it would change our perception and prejudices.

Oh really?? But if they were major oil producers or whatever like Nigeria, am pretty sure i would have heard about it. Anyway, i'll goggle and check that claim out later.

Yeah,maybe am just prejudiced or something. But i am with dnative on this - I just do not see why 8k/higher should go into a west indie degree.
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by LondonCool(m): 4:19pm On Jul 30, 2008
Re: Any Other Nigerian Here In Barbados?! by Sammy107d(m): 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2008
@ Papabrown i was about to swim and i don't know how lol. Oh d costs! family shares dt burden, and i have some godfather pastors dt help. Even with all d aid here and there,  lipsrsealed.

The biggest field here is Law, then Management followed by banking and finance. So big that as soon as u graduate, its likely you are scheduled for an interview. They are short of doctors here so the few Nigerian doctors are living big, and so many well to do nurses. They need help with their IT industry- I met this young nigerian a few days ago, and heard that he swiftly rose to become the best graphic designer here. The few Nigerians here work really really hard, they are the best at whatever they do.

I really recommend Barbados for anyone that wants opportunities. Its just 275000 people in Barbados, 1 major university serving the West Indies, so they are short of labour. You have a 70% chance of starting off big as soon as you graduate. Iv not seen a high school graduate without a good job. If you are coming here for a masters degree, boy you're in luck! you can be sure of returns on your 8k.

Just close your eyes to the expenses for a few months, u might be lucky to get a part time job as a graduate, close your eyes to the attitudes of a few locals, get the very best result, and that is it. Education is virtually free for Barbadians and Eastern Caribbean nationals so they don't take it seriously. You'ld find youself leading your program because you know how much you suffered for dt 8k. Anyway, more intelligent Nigerians here please!

(and yes, there hav been a few stories of illegal immigrants,  some Nigerians and Ghanaians chartered an flight to barbados, and the airline refused/forgot to pick them up
they were stranded and treated like trash, put in their military jails and fed horribly though they did nothing wrong. because they were nigerians, they assumed whatever,  they would av put american tourists in the best hotels. It was after they embarrassed them and returned them that they found them not guilty- flight fault. It was horrible. the news was all over " a bunch of AFRICANS are stranded in Barbados" just like they would report a group of penguins are stranded in Nigeria, hmm)

do not expect total paradise though.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Mourns Her Sister Who Died In Motor Accident / Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management / Close Kaduna-Abuja Train - Youths Protest In Kaduna (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.