Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,555 members, 7,816,344 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again (1298 Views)

Court Summon: Why Tompolo Cannot Afford To Dare The State / UCHE EKWNIFE TO DARE NGIGE IN 2015 / US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by CollinsColz(m): 1:11am On Dec 08, 2013
It was uncertain on Saturday whether the Academic Staff Union of Nigeria Universities would call off its five-month-old strike, despite the Federal Government’s Monday ultimatum.
There were speculations that the university lecturers would suspend the strike after the burial ceremony for an ex-ASUU President, Prof. Festus Iyayi, who was killed in an accident involving the Kogi State governor’s convoy.
However, sources in the union who spoke to our correspondents on Saturday insisted that the strike continues.
The Chairman, ASUU, University of Benin, Dr. Tony Monye-Emina said, “The strike has not been called off. The authority (of the institution) is following government’s directive; we are not shifting our stand. It is not a local strike.
“It is not true we are calling off the strike. How can we be holding a meeting tonight? The burial is going on and it continues tomorrow (today).”
Also, ASUU in Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun State, vowed not to obey government’s order that lecturers should return to classroom on Monday.
The Chairman, ASUU, OOU chapter, Dr. Nasir Adesola said the lecturers would not succumb to threats by government to sack them.
Adesola, who is also the South-West Coordinator, ASUU, stressed that since the lecturers did not go on strike in the first instance because of government, they would not return to work by coercion from government.
He stated that the lecturers would only go back to the classroom when the government had met their demands.
“We didn’t go on strike because of government order. The reasons for which we embarked on the strike have not been discharged by the government. Those orders of government are just part of executive recklessness. We are not returning to work on Monday,” Adesola said.
Similarly, the ASUU Chairman in Enugu State University of Technology, Prof. Gab Agu, said lecturers would not resume on Monday. He said it was a rumour that the union would call of the strike.
He stated that the National Executive Council of ASUU would meet and agree before the strike could be called off.
Same with ASUU in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, where the Chairman, Dr. Ifeanyi Abada, said only the ASUU NEC could announce the suspension of the strike.
The Governing Council of the University of Ibadan had on Friday, based on the directives of the Committee of Pro-Chancellors of Federal Universities and the National Universities Commission, said the institution would be re-opened on January 4, 2014.
In the official bulletin of the university, which was signed by its Registrar and Secretary to the Council, Mr. Olujimi Olukoya, the council explained that the re-opening became necessary in view of the consideration of all matters relating to the on-going ASUU strike, at its recent meeting.
http://www.punchng.com/news/monday-ultimatum-ASUU-to-dare-fg-again/
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by walad4yhu(m): 6:09am On Dec 08, 2013
We jst pray n hope dt one day d strike wul b over...shikena
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by hisxlency: 6:30am On Dec 08, 2013
These two fighting tiger's, I hardly know which party that really wish us Well.
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Demdem(m): 6:40am On Dec 08, 2013
Courageous ASUU.

1 Like

Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by abdulg: 6:40am On Dec 08, 2013
H
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by VICTORCIZA(m): 6:47am On Dec 08, 2013
90% of student has lost hope in the sinceriety of your struggle.60% of lecturer are tire of this same struggle.Almighty ASUU know it that you are losing the goodwill of the people and majority of Nigeria know that this strike is becoming political.When the sledge hammer of govement will fall on you trust me nobody will sympatise with you

2 Likes

Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 08, 2013
Silly f00ls undecided
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by jesse8048(m): 7:21am On Dec 08, 2013
ASUU which way forward please.
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Brimmie(m): 7:59am On Dec 08, 2013
FG vs ASUU na child play aswear! sad

Na Students VS Landlord go worse pass! undecided
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by bcomputer101: 8:22am On Dec 08, 2013
A friend in Cyprus ask me the meaning of ASUU strike.

I told him is an annual festival in Nigeria where students don't go to school for months...
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 08, 2013
Sick,and tired of ASUU,and FG news,its the same old,and staled news. Tell me something new.
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by adepojuot: 9:12am On Dec 08, 2013

Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Licensed2Kill(m): 9:22am On Dec 08, 2013
hisxlency: These two fighting tiger's, I hardly know which party that really wish us Well.
none
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Licensed2Kill(m): 9:24am On Dec 08, 2013
VICTORCIZA: 90% of student has lost hope in the sinceriety of your struggle.60% of lecturer are tire of this same struggle.Almighty ASUU know it that you are losing the goodwill of the people and majority of Nigeria know that this strike is becoming political.When the sledge hammer of govement will fall on you trust me nobody will sympatise with you
spot on. . . .cldnt have said it beta.

1 Like

Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Licensed2Kill(m): 9:24am On Dec 08, 2013
Demdem: Courageous ASUU.
wow! You are so smart.
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Nobody: 9:32am On Dec 08, 2013
bcomputer101: A friend in Cyprus ask me the meaning of ASUU strike.

I told him is an annual festival in Nigeria where students don't go to school for months...
you guys must be half baked ... undecided That your friend doesnt understand the word "strike"? Or he can't tell that " ASSU" is an acronym?
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by gerald09(m): 10:17am On Dec 08, 2013
Oga jonna I gat sometin for u dat will work to ur favour, lucky for u ur fellow country people love money, dat 5 months pay ASUU dey ask for y not share it to all Feb Uni student n urge states to do d same and label it "compensation", den sack every ASUU lecturer dat don't resume on monday. Trust me, u will get popular demand.
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by sleeky007(m): 11:22am On Dec 08, 2013
It's quite disheartening and unfortunate that some of us still lack the understanding of FG-ASUU impasse. The failure of this strike marks the end of UNIONISM in Nigeria. FG will be free to go into any agreement with any UNION and fail to honour such agreement. And I must also inform us that ASUU strike is close to being over because FG just played its last card (threatening sack of lecturers), and as in the past, it never worked........And for all of you that think lecturers will be sacked, you're sitting down on a LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGG THING

1 Like

Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 08, 2013
This is why our leaders behave the way they like at the expense of the citizenry. An average Nigerian youth is so scared of struggles and revolutions once he or she is able to eat even just a meal per day and pay for their BIS subscription. Let ASUU fight this cause and who knows, may be this would improve liiving and learning conditions in our Universities. When NLC gave in to GEJ over subsidy removal last year, tell me what has an average Nigerian youth gained from the exercise. What has the SURE-P programme offered the Nigerian youth? Afterall 90% of those of you clamouring for re-opening will still end up being jobless after graduation. #Change!

1 Like

Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Olugbenger(m): 1:44pm On Dec 08, 2013
VICTORCIZA: 90% of student has lost hope in the sinceriety of your struggle.60% of lecturer are tire of this same struggle.Almighty ASUU know it that you are losing the goodwill of the people and majority of Nigeria know that this strike is becoming political.When the sledge hammer of govement will fall on you trust me nobody will sympatise with you

Just shup up abeg, you shameless liar. which sledge hammer of the government are you talking about?

Do you think FG threats hold water against ASUU?

Why don't you tell us that ASUU is on strike to support APC?
use ur brain man.
I'm a student and though i've limited sympathy for ASUU, it doesn't mean i should be clueless and blind to the evil antics of the FG.

ASUU should not call off the strike until it's confirmed that their demands have been met adequately.

We deserve better.

4 Likes

Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Olugbenger(m): 1:54pm On Dec 08, 2013
Ada Nri1: you guys must be half baked ... undecided That your friend doesnt understand the word "strike"? Or he can't tell that " ASSU" is an acronym?

Madam i-know-all, why don't you tell us the meaning of ur 'ASSU'?

Maybe, if you had been polite, you might not have appeared this stu.pid.

6 Likes

Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Licensed2Kill(m): 1:58pm On Dec 08, 2013
Olugbenger:

Madam i-know-all, why don't you tell us the meaning of ur 'ASSU'?

Maybe, if you had been polite, you might not have appeared this stu.pid.
u mean like u were just bn polite to @victorciza?

1 Like

Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by Olugbenger(m): 2:16pm On Dec 08, 2013
Licensed-2-Kill:

u mean like u were just polite to @victorciza?

I fight fire with fire. I don't even expect you to understand that.
Re: Monday Ultimatum: ASUU To Dare FG Again by VICTORCIZA(m): 9:44am On Dec 09, 2013
Olugbenger:

Just shup up abeg, you shameless liar. which sledge hammer of the government are you talking about?

Do you think FG threats hold water against ASUU?

Why don't you tell us that ASUU is on strike to support APC?
use ur brain man.
I'm a student and though i've limited sympathy for ASUU, it doesn't mean i should be clueless and blind to the evil antics of the FG.

ASUU should not call off the strike until it's confirmed that their demands have been met adequately.

We deserve better.
when you learn how to spell 'shut up' you come back.nkita ara

(1) (Reply)

Northern Governors Mourn Dikko -(UPDATE) / Kano Mosque Blast: 'I Saw Two Gunmen Going Into The Mosque, Shooting People' / KPMG: Nigeria's High Speed Rail Is 'world-class'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.