Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,301 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Tithe: New Testament's Perspective - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithe: New Testament's Perspective (482 Views)

Question Of Tithe & New Testament / The New Testament Prophets Defined. / Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tithe: New Testament's Perspective by damilarelr(m): 6:04pm On Dec 08, 2013
'Will a man ROB God? Yet ye have robbed me! But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? in TITHES and OFFERINGS'! (Malachi 3v8

Now listen carefully: if you are a BELIEVER, the above verse was NOT referring to you! (read further before you call for my head, or ask yourself if you're truly a BELIEVER)

The verse above is only applicable to ANYONE who is YET TO BELIEVE in the finished work of Christ on the Cross!

This is the shocker: A BELIEVER can NEVER rob God..whether he pays his 'tithes' or not!

Read intensely: The idea of "robbing" God comes from the fact that you've "taken" something which is NOT yours because under Law, whatever you have is NOT your own!
It belongs to God!

That is why you see the word "BRING" whenever God is referring to any form of offering especially tithe!

See few examples:

"BRING ye all the tithes into the storehouse.." (Malachi 3:10)

"..thou shall BRING forth all the tithe of thine increase..." (Deut 14:28)

'BRING' simply means......IT IS NOT YOUR OWN, therefore, Bring it!

Listen carefully, under GRACE.....you don't BRING an offering to God! You GIVE an offering to God!

See examples below:

"GIVE and it shall be GIVEN unto you.." (Luke 6:38)

"For God loveth a cheerful...GIVER" (2cor 9:7)

Hear this: One of the reasons Jesus died on the cross was so that a BELIEVER will never be termed a ROBBER of God anymore!

Under Law: your tithe is a DEBT you OWE to God! (Lev 27:30-32)

Under Grace: your tithe is a SEED you SOW to God! (2cor 9:7)

SHOULD a believer pay Tithe?.....the answer is YES!

But...

MUST a believer pay tithe?......the answer is NO!!!!

Under the new covenant, there is no class of GIVING which is a MUST!

Paul said:

"Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him GIVE; not grudgingly, or of NECESSITY.."! (2cor 9:7)

The word "necessity" there refers to a kind of giving in which you feel if you don't "give"...then you are either robbing God or offending God!

You are not OWING God! Give WILLINGLY and CHEERFULLY as you purpose in your heart FOR GOD LOVETH A CHEERFUL GIVER!!!

In conclusion, there are only two places in Scriptures where Jesus talked about 'TITHING' and in those two places, He plainly referred to the PHARISEES who are UNDER LAW! (Matt 23:23 and Luke 18:10-14)

Jesus NEVER mandated tithing for a believer, because a Believer is not under Law, but under Grace (Rom.6:14). However, tithing to a believer is by the revelation of the Holy Spirit! and when He reveals it to you...He will empower you to give your tithe without struggles not because you are scared of God's annoyance but because you are THANKFUL for the assurance of His ever-flowing blessings on your life!

Abraham, as a man who lived under Grace GAVE Melchizedech tithe (remember there was NO law on tithing then) and neither did Melchizedech demand tithes from Abraham!

Listen: Abraham did not 'BRING' his tithe to Melchizedech! Abraham GAVE tithes to Melchizedech! (Gen 14:20)

It was a SPONTANEOUS reaction..and I'm sure! it must have been by the LEADING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT! (Gen 14:18-20)

No wonder the Bible says:

'But if ye be LED of the SPIRIT, ye are NOT under the LAW'! (Gal 5:18)

Melchizedech (a type of Christ) did NOT bless Abraham BECAUSE Abraham paid tithes!

NO!

Read the story carefully; Melchizedech Blessed Abraham BEFORE Abraham gave him tithes! (Gen 14:18-20)

Under Law, you MUST PAY your tithes in order to be blessed!

But thanks be to Jesus..under Grace: God's blessings are NOT DEPENDENT on your ability to do ANYTHING!

Open your bible with me to Rom.4:4-5
"Now to him that WORKETH (underline that word) the reward is not reckoned of GRACE but of DEBT!....But to him that WORKETH NOT (underline this one too) (but did what?) but BELIEVETH on Him that Justifies the UNGODLY his faith (belief) is counted for RIGHTEOUSNESS"! that's simple enough, isn't it?

There are 2 kinds of rewards mentioned above!

1. Debt-rewards: ...that is, God has to bless you because you did something (such as you paid your tithes)

2. Grace-rewards:....that is, I am not presenting any EFFORT of mine to God as a reason why He should bless me! I don't DO RIGHT THINGS in order to be righteous, I do RIGHT THINGS because I AM RIGHTEOUS (thru the finished work of the cross)!

Wow!

Which reward do you prefer?

Do not be like the Pharisee in Luke 18:10 -14 who was telling God to "justify" him because he pays his tithes while the other sinner doesn't!

The Bible says: the sinner went to his house JUSTIFIED while the pharisee wasn't justified!

Remain under GRACE perpetually! (Romans 11:6)

Amen.

2 Likes

Re: Tithe: New Testament's Perspective by entuk(m): 6:23pm On Dec 08, 2013
I pray and God answers my prayers (I.e He blesses me). I pay ky tithe and receive kore blessings from God because there's a kan of God who has taken it upon himself to provoke God to bless me more. God loves a cheerful giver so I choose to pay my tithe and support the propagation of the gospel here on earth anyway! that's how u guys start twisting and turning the Bible to favour gays and all what not. abeg we don hia!

(1) (Reply)

Opinion Piece: Somebody Has A Problem With Christmas-the Origin Of Christmas(pag / Funny Names Of Churches In Naija / The Light Of The World Ii - Winning Each Day Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.