Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

PTF Vs Sure P - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PTF Vs Sure P (852 Views)

S’south Got Lion’s Share Of PTF Projects Under Buhari - Figures Don't Lie / PTF Probe Report: Obasanjo’s Vindication Of Buhari Wrong / How Buhari Skewed PTF Projects In Favor Of His Northern Zone- By Yoruba Body (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PTF Vs Sure P by bappahman: 10:29pm On Dec 08, 2013
PTF was created during the Abacha era under Gen Buhari to utilise the 2 naira added on PMS....
Sure P was created by Goodluck under Kolade to utilise 32 Naira saved from subsidy payments
So which of the 2 programs have helped nigeria and Nigerians more?
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by bappahman: 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2013
A gentleman headed PTF with just N2 on liter; legacies exist till 2day; another copies with Sure-P only to give 'Sure Poverty' and 500 billion missing

2 Likes

Re: PTF Vs Sure P by waleadex(m): 10:42pm On Dec 08, 2013
The best way I can describe both is by seeing PTF as "REAL OBJECT" while SURE-P is the "IMAGE". PTF has survived through the creative years till now,but for SURE-P the death is going to be a shock and too sudden. So,PTF yes and SURE-P na scam!

2 Likes

Re: PTF Vs Sure P by bappahman: 11:00pm On Dec 08, 2013
waleadex: The best way I can describe both is by seeing PTF as "REAL OBJECT" while SURE-P is the "IMAGE". PTF has survived through the creative years till now,but for SURE-P the death is going to be a shock and too sudden. So,PTF yes and SURE-P na scam!
Wow
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by IGBOSON1: 12:16am On Dec 09, 2013
bappahman: A gentleman headed PTF with just N2 on liter; legacies exist till 2day; another copies with Sure-P only to give 'Sure Poverty' and 500 billion missing

^^^Legacies you say? Care to mention some in the South East?

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: PTF Vs Sure P by sheymaziggy: 12:27am On Dec 09, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Legacies you say? Care to mention some in the South East?

Cheers.
U care to mention any sure p project In d south east
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by theoctopus: 12:40am On Dec 09, 2013
sheymaziggy:
U care to mention any sure p project In d south east

Onitsha Owerri road, PH-Owerri road (work ongoing), Second Niger Bridge (work On going), Enugu International airport remodeled, Sure-p job creation in all the south east states, East corridor railway rehabilitation from Enugu to PH to Maiduguri about to be commisioned. Modern heart surgery center in UNN, to mention a few

Please can you show me one PTF project, not just in the south east, but the whole of the south. Please I am begging you

5 Likes

Re: PTF Vs Sure P by theoctopus: 12:40am On Dec 09, 2013
bappahman: A gentleman headed PTF with just N2 on liter; legacies exist till 2day; another copies with Sure-P only to give 'Sure Poverty' and 500 billion missing

PTF was one of the biggest fraud in the 90s. A collabo between Abacha and Buhari to loot massively and there is no missing 500 billion. It is only missing in your dreams

1 Like

Re: PTF Vs Sure P by kolubo(m): 12:57am On Dec 09, 2013
waleadex: The best way I can describe both is by seeing PTF as "REAL OBJECT" while SURE-P is the "IMAGE". PTF has survived through the creative years till now,but for SURE-P the death is going to be a shock and too sudden. So,PTF yes and SURE-P na scam!
The death of SURE-P would be a shock to those who are eating d money like suya no be me wey no smell kobo from it.
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by hercules07: 1:17am On Dec 09, 2013
theoctopus:

Onitsha Owerri road, PH-Owerri road (work ongoing), Second Niger Bridge (work On going), Enugu International airport remodeled, Sure-p job creation in all the south east states, East corridor railway rehabilitation from Enugu to PH to Maiduguri about to be commisioned. Modern heart surgery center in UNN, to mention a few

Please can you show me one PTF project, not just in the south east, but the whole of the south. Please I am begging you

Remove that Onitsha Owerri road, that was done by Obasanjo, as per PTF road in the South, I will mention one, Ibadan - Ilesha Expressway, infact, the Enugu - PH road was given out by PTF to Iwuanyawu but the guy messed it up, Universities in the South were equipped by PTF, Teaching Hospitals as well.
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by Brimmie(m): 1:28am On Dec 09, 2013
I used PTF Textbooks!

This Sure-Poverty whaever.. Tufia!! undecided
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by dinachi(m): 1:30am On Dec 09, 2013
How dare you compare PTF and SURE-P both no be mate abeg! SURE-P is a looting medium while PTF is a development medium. Take your pick!
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by egift(m): 1:46am On Dec 09, 2013
PTF remains one of the best government intervention programme of government in Nigeria. There are only a handful of programmes that could compare to it. It was at some point called "Alternative Government" because it was involved in many sectors.

Don't forget that SURE-P is an imitation of PTF.

In March 2011, the Suleja victims of bomb blast as captured in the pictures displayed by Weekly Trust show bedsheets supplied to the hospital 15yrs ago during Buhari's PTF was still the one being used after 12yrs of PDP (mis)rule

[img]http://1.1.1.5/bmi/www.nairaland.com/attachments/413647_sulejaBomb_jpg20964d2c242d5a3d30d59b2d7ac5922e[/img]

PDP deserve to be kick out. Nigerians can restore them if they repent and prove they can develop Nigeria. But if we keep rewarding incompetence and mediocrity - then politicians can keep toying with us.
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by dayokanu(m): 3:06am On Dec 09, 2013
theoctopus: Please can you show me one PTF project, not just in the south east, but the whole of the south. Please I am begging you

There was no University that didnt have a PTF project in that time
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by IGBOSON1: 3:32am On Dec 09, 2013
hercules07:

Remove that Onitsha Owerri road, that was done by Obasanjo, as per PTF road in the South, I will mention one, Ibadan - Ilesha Expressway, infact, the Enugu - PH road was given out by PTF to Iwuanyawu but the guy messed it up, Universities in the South were equipped by PTF, Teaching Hospitals as well.

^^^Invariably, you're saying the whole programme wasn't administered well! If a contract can be given to a shady mofo like Iwuanyanwu.......with the necessary checks and inspections (that could have prevented him from running off with the money) being jettisoned, then who are we to blame for that? I'm sure he was hardly the most qualified/competent to carry out a major job like the Enugu-PH expressway, yet they gave him the job anyway; and i'm equally sure they would have chased after the likes of Julius Berger for jobs at their end (some of which i've been told are still lasting till today).

Also, i hope all those writing off the SURE-P programme as a complete failure (and we all know their type), are aware that they're unwittingly indicting their state governors as corrupt or clueless, since a percentage of the funds are given to state governments to spend on projects and initiatives that impact the lives of the ordinary individual.

Another programme this gov't is running that i like is YOUWIN! Or does anyone have a problem with this as well?

1 Like

Re: PTF Vs Sure P by Goddex: 3:56am On Dec 09, 2013
dayokanu:

With gigantic bill boards everywhere, abi?
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by Goddex: 4:13am On Dec 09, 2013
@OP
SURE - P and PTF are quite different in concept and scope. While PTF had powers to initiate projects from start to finish, SURE - P is not a stand alone programme per se, but merely supports Ministries, Departments and Agencies of government to expedite projects execution. SURE - P is not designed to go into huge public erecting billboards everywhere for it's activities.

Visit their website to read about their interventions

http://www.sure-p.gov.ng/index.cfm/sure-p-the-journey-so-far/

2 Likes

Re: PTF Vs Sure P by Xfactoria: 6:27am On Dec 09, 2013
bappahman: PTF was created during the Abacha era under Gen Buhari to utilise the 2 naira added on PMS....
Sure P was created by Goodluck under Kolade to utilise 32 Naira saved from subsidy payments
So which of the 2 programs have helped nigeria and Nigerians more?

Don't venture into what you know little about. Don't appeal to emotions, instead appeal to sound logical thinking!

Before you compare N2 to N32, compare the exchange rate of N33 of those days to N160 of today. If you can explain the difference, then you'll be close to explaining the difference in purchasing power of the Naira in those two different era - why N2 in 1994 would probably have the same power as say N20 today and why the SURE-P would not achieve more compared to the PTF.

Secondly, the N32 addition is being shared with the States. States have their own share and programmes.

Thirdly, what was Nigeria's population in 1994? Probably around 120 million. Compare that to today's 170 million. Good logical inference from the comparison will reveal to you why government of today is confronted with more social problems that those of 1994.

Lastly, if PTF answered all things in those days, why was our economy in shambles during and after the military era? If I remember correctly, that period created some of the worst form of poverty or backwardness that I have ever witnessed in over 30 years of my existence. Talk of "Abacha stove", "Oh God rice", "Petrol hawking on the streets" etc.

Some of you guys need to spend time studying history.

3 Likes

Re: PTF Vs Sure P by Demdem(m): 7:08am On Dec 09, 2013
This is no brainer. PTF of cos.
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 09, 2013
Apart from Abuja, I don't think most people outside FCT have felt any impact of SURE-P.

I've seen BRT buses, Taxis and some guys on black and white attires, courtesy, SURE-P.

Unlike PTF, it is just a mirage for now. I hope that Mr. President act fast and employ a good person to head it.

PTF provided almost all things;

Towels.
Books (Text and Exercise books).
1414 Buses.
Drugs.
Desks.
School class rooms and Administrative blocks.
Fridges.

And the list is endless.
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by Realdeals(m): 9:03am On Dec 09, 2013
The fact is dat the projects by PTF is real and can be felt by people on the street compare to that of SURE-P
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by DahomeyAmazon(f): 9:24am On Dec 09, 2013
Op chai you read my mind, I was going to create this thread but unfortunately you did do justice at all, you should have gathered more info about both of them, that would have made better comparison. Still gathering my data though
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by adconline(m): 9:29am On Dec 09, 2013
theoctopus:

Onitsha- Owerri Rd already completed by OBJ! Where is the 2nd Niger bridge?
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by taharqa: 9:32am On Dec 09, 2013
Which 'missing #500bn' money be dat? Was it yr father that stole d 'missing' money??
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by DahomeyAmazon(f): 9:41am On Dec 09, 2013
theoctopus:

Nigerians never took
Abacha seriously on this project until Gen Muhammadu
Buhari was announced and inaugurated the chairman of
the PTF in March 1995 . That PTF awarded contracts
worth billions of naira is not news . The news the PTF
made within the four years it existed was and still is
that contracts awarded were executed to their logical
conclusion and for those not executed , the PTF got
every kobo back . Before PTF , contractors were used to
abandoning contracts and bolting away with their
advance payments. It never happened in PTF . When
Buhari visited the Onitsha end of the Enugu-Onitsha
express way awarded to a local contractor and
discovered the job was abandoned , he simply called on
the bank that guaranteed the contractor to pay back .
There and then , the contract was terminated and later
awarded to another contractor. From that moment ,
banks and insurance companies that provided bonds to
contractors learnt that the old order had changed and
had to monitor projects it guaranteed.
For the years it existed, PTF published its annual
reports and always addressed press conferences to
respond to issues arising from the reports . And each
time it did , it challenged anybody who could deliver on
any of its projects at a price cheaper than what it cost
the PTF to submit his proposal . Nobody ever did.
In one of the presentations of its annual report, the
Executive Secretary of the Board of the PTF , Chief
Tayo Akpata , maintained that the roads constructed by
the PTF not only cost less than World Bank funded
roads but were also better qualitatively . He challenged
anyone to prove the contrary . Until the PTF was
scrapped, nobody did .
While the PTF existed, contractors never needed to
lobby and grease palms to get LPO’ s . You only needed
to belong to the appropriate group of the
Manufacturers Association of Nigeria and other
professional groups to qualify. Not a few contractors
received requests to supply the PTF in the comfort of
their offices . It was so unbelievably true that some had
to travel to Abuja to reconfirm if the LPO’ s they
received were genuine . And genuine they were .
To be paid for a completed contract, all the contractor
needed was to present a certificate of completion issued
by the ubiquitous consultants engaged by the PTF and
his cheque would be prepared. And with a proper letter
of introduction, a contractor could send a third party to
pick his check across a counter in the Finance
Department without any ceremony. One cannot also
forget in a hurry the PTF drug revolving scheme. Under
this, the PTF set up offices in hospitals across the
country and supplied them with drugs . The financial
consultants employed by the Fund ensured that receipts
from the sales of the drugs were used to replenish the
stocks in an unending cycle that banished out- of-stock
anthem the Nigerian public were forced to listen to
before then. And it was not easy to divert PTF drugs
to the parallel market. The smallest tablet supplied had
PTF logo engraved on it . Somebody attempted diverting
the drugs and was caught . General Buhari took up the
case personally and ensured the culprit went to jail .
After that, nobody heard of diversions again .
The strategy of the PTF in procuring these drugs is
worth reviewing. Over 60% of the drugs supplied to the
PTF were locally produced. In fact, the PTF only
imported drugs that could not be produced by the local
pharmaceutical firms . The pressure on the existing
pharmaceutical companies was so much that almost all
these firms had to increase their capacity by expanding
and employing more hands . Neimeth Pharmaceuticals,
Emzor Pharmaceuticals among others can be contacted
to affirm or disprove this . This policy was deliberately
made to ensure that more jobs were created within the
economy. Builders who built for PTF would also tell you
that they were not allowed to import paints. There was
a list of all the paint manufacturers in the country
maintained at the PTF from which builders bought
paints. Within the same period, the capacity utilisation
in these companies soared as they expanded and
created more jobs . A look at the records kept by IPWA
plc and other existing paint makers within the period
under review is worth attempting to digest the profundity
of the PTF intervention in the building sector; and other
sectors it intervened in as its model was so overarching
that critics labelled it the alternative government .
This column is not enough to put in a proper perspective
the job General Buhari undertook and did while in PTF
but it suffices through this glimpse to understand the
mindset and the strategy of this maelstrom which the
ruling elite hate for his forthrightness – a quality in
short supply in governance today.
One can cite the number of roads and hospitals
rehabilitated by the PTF . One can also quote the
billions it spent. The essence of the PTF , however , lies
more in the multiplier effect its intervention had on the
economy as a whole than in the number of what it did ,
which on its own was equally impressive. This distinction
is what differentiates growth from development . While
the former is quantitative , the latter is qualitative . As a
political economist , I know that the economic development
of any third world country lies in qualitative
transformation.
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by bappahman: 1:55pm On Dec 09, 2013
taharqa: Which 'missing #500bn' money be dat? Was it yr father that stole d 'missing' money??
Idiot try and be up to date, listen to radio if u can't read
get someone that can read to tell u what he understood from the link below
www.punchng.com/news/n500bn-sure-p-fund-missing-senate/
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by bappahman: 1:59pm On Dec 09, 2013
theoctopus:

PTF was one of the biggest fraud in the 90s. A collabo between Abacha and Buhari to loot massively and there is no missing 500 billion. It is only missing in your dreams
www.premiumtimesng.com/news/149158-n500-billion-sure-p-funds-missing-senate-committee.html
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by theoctopus: 10:54pm On Dec 09, 2013
bappahman:
www.premiumtimesng.com/news/149158-n500-billion-sure-p-funds-missing-senate-committee.html

There is no missing 500 billion. Get it into your head. That report is false. It has already been dispelled. The 500 billion was the share collected by the states, LGAs and Legislature. There is no missing funds, you hear?
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by theoctopus: 10:58pm On Dec 09, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:

Nigerians never took
Abacha seriously on this project until Gen Muhammadu
Buhari was announced and inaugurated the chairman of
the PTF in March 1995 . That PTF awarded contracts
worth billions of naira is not news . The news the PTF
made within the four years it existed was and still is
that contracts awarded were executed to their logical
conclusion and for those not executed , the PTF got
every kobo back .

Absolute hogwash:

1. Have you ever read the PTF probe report that was carried out during OBJ's regime. Please go read that report and weep. The PTF was the biggest conduit pipe Abacha used to siphon money. Massive fraud by the crook Buhari

2. Please I ask you again, show us one single PTF project in southern Nigeria. One visible project from PTF. No need for long posts. Thank you
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by theoctopus: 11:05pm On Dec 09, 2013
hercules07:

BWahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Bag of lies. Fa fa fa, foul! Ibdan Ilesha road has been a disaster for years. It is just about to receive attention now. Enugu-PH was given to Iwanyanwu? Hahahahahahaha! I thought your other pal said that PTF recovered every kobo from projects that were not executed? Hahahahahahaha! Liars! A whole pack of them.

Universities were equiped? Teaching hospitals too? Hello! The last time I checked, ASUU claims government have neglected schools since the 80s. I never saw one PTF chalk while I was in school. Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Liars and hypocrites. Una try for the attempt but e no reach!
Re: PTF Vs Sure P by theoctopus: 11:07pm On Dec 09, 2013
dayokanu:

Where you in any university then? I was in university then so shut up my friend and stop spewing lies! PTF was a conduit pipe for Buhari and Abacha to steal billions. Awon Ole! Liars!

(1) (Reply)

Ribadu Cracks PDP / Buhari Vanguard Calls For Immediate Arrest Of Oristejafor Over Arms Smuggling / Nigerian‬ Military Jet In Near-crash After Losing Two Tires During Lift-off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.