Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,822 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (1523) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3743076 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1520) (1521) (1522) (1523) (1524) (1525) (1526) ... (3833) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 30, 2019
hulk616:
don't be an hypocrite. Shut up and go read your books angry
Little one is getting hostile. embarassed embarassed

Isn't it past your bedtime? undecided
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 30, 2019
oyaskii:
grin
This a ploy to promote Dr Strange 2 undecided
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 12:50am On Jul 31, 2019
iuwe:

Not all WB movies flopped this year but rather underperformed. Disney also had some flops this year but they weren't blockbuster movies.
Well, I'm only talking about blockbuster movies not Indies or small budget.

So, I decided to read the Stephen King's IT novel while also rewatching the 2017 IT. Believe me, if the movie is anywhere as the 27 years past time of their first encounter with pennywise from the novel, we are in for some deep sh*t and no big movie is opening 3 weeks after IT premieres.

That's good then. Maybe it got some hope after all.

Jumanji is actually Sony. John Wick 3 is a huge financial success bro, the only outright flops here are Godzilla, Dark phoenix, Alita because of their huge budgets. The rest either underperformed or simply broke even.
I guessed Sony owned Jumanji but wasn't sure, had no time to check it up. Yes John Wick is a huge success. I am not saying all of them were flops, all I'm saying is most of them I mentioned if not all is not going to be in the top 10 at year's end. That's why it's a competition. To finish in top place right? True Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, Alita and also Dumbo are outright FLOPS based on their huge budgets. Sure, The rest were underperformers like Pikachu, Pets 2.

I rather remove hobbs and Shaw. It Chapter 2 is going to be a huge success if everything goes well with the reviews. You see in setting a release date for a movie certain things are considered. IT was the movie that made September a movie month, the Joker is opening close to Halloween and this movies are under the horror targeted months of the year. Like I said before we would have to wait and see what might/might not happen.

Y remove Hobbs and Shaw? It seems to have a better chance than these suckers since it draws fanbase From a billion dollar franchise, and the last Movie was $1bn+
Yeah, we gonna wait and see
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 1:04am On Jul 31, 2019
iuwe:
[b]For you to win the year, all your movies must occupy the top 10 slots. You see, Disney has won most of the season, winter, summer and fall. The only season left is spring (September to November) and they have to win 2/3 of that month to claim complete dominance this year. Unfortunately their only big movie is November's Frozen 2 and issh Maleficent of October. If Maleficent beats the joker or Zombieland 2 then Disney won the year.

Nah, I don't agree about that mate. If u are the studio with the most top grossing movies worldwide at year's end then you are the winner. This year Disney is the clear winner, it's a no-brainer. How is that even possible for a single studio to have all top 10 grossers? angry

Funny enough the Spring season you are saying remaining for them to win still looks to be in their favor. Their is Frozen 2 to dominate that timeframe and Maleficent 2 to cap it all off. It might be a tough fight between Maleficent, Joker and Zombieland but Maleficent definitely doesn't look the loser amongst them. Then it will just use Star Wars to wash it down, finish!!

In essence it is either you have all your movies in the top 10 or you win 2/3 of every season that year. [/b]

I see. What do you say about this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiV_JmMxd3jAhXFIVAKHcJhDpUQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theverge.com%2F2019%2F7%2F29%2F20734621%2Fdisney-record-breaking-2019-box-office-avengers-endgame-lion-king-aladdin-avatar&psig=AOvVaw3t7OPgllHZj49smKrMG9jq&ust=1564606914760457
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:34am On Jul 31, 2019
iuwe:

Mind you Spider-Man Far From Home is a Sony movie and the fifth highest grosser for this year behind Endgame, CM, (Toy Story 4 and the L.K for future gross)

Sony may own the distribution rights, but Far From Home is Disney's through and through.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:43am On Jul 31, 2019
iuwe:
For you to win the year, all your movies must occupy the top 10 slots. You see, Disney has won most of the season, winter, summer and fall. The only season left is spring (September to November) and they have to win 2/3 of that month to claim complete dominance this year. Unfortunately their only big movie is November's Frozen 2 and issh Maleficent of October. If Maleficent beats the joker or Zombieland 2 then Disney won the year.

In essence it is either you have all your movies in the top 10 or you win 2/3 of every season that year.

Not really. If the sum total of your high glossing films BO is higher than your competitions, doesn't matter if your films are only 2 or 3 in number, you've won the year.

In this regard Disney has already won the year.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:54am On Jul 31, 2019
abduleez1:
@iuwe how is it not a win for Disney year round than a summer time win? Having more than half of the global top ten gross in a year is more than a win for me. Only Universal still looks to have a fight in them. The others? Ugh!!! Sony? That one na only Spiderman stories them fit sell.

Having four movies cracking over $1bn a year is more than a win, there is even a possibility for a fifth if not sixth. That's vicious!!

Next year might be a fight back from other studios but this year is lost already. Last year Disney won, and maybe WB was also successful and Sony but that's that. This year Disney is still King, I might say Emperor.

Next year doesn't even look like it's relenting or the years to come after.

Disney is so far ahead of the competition this year, that even if it were to shift Star Wars, Maleficient and Frozen to 2020, it will still win the year with miles to spare.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 5:58am On Jul 31, 2019
KoiceReloaded, help me with the link of The Avengers. Part 1 I mean, at least 720p quality. A friend needs it and I don't have the time to look for it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 6:00am On Jul 31, 2019
Beorn1:
KoiceReloaded, help me with the link of The Avengers. Part 1 I mean, at least 720p quality. A friend needs it and I don't have the time to look for it.

Just tell him to input "index of Avengers 2012 mkv" without the quotation marks in Google's search box.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 31, 2019
abduleez1:

Yeah, yeah. I get you. I forgot about Jumanji (tough competitor), but IT I don't have much hope for that movie. Sure it's gonna gross high but will it be enough for the top 10 spot. Presently since almost all WB movies are flopping this year. It's gonna be a surprise if it hits it's prequel $700mn gross or surpass it. Although that tracking seems pretty good but if a big movie comes out a few weeks after that I doubt it would hold its own especially if it's a Disney flick. IT hitting a billion? That's laughable. If it was another year I might not ague but this year? Nah
Only loss for Disney this year is only Dumbo so far. Even doomed to fail Alaadin isn't doing bad at all.

I know Far from Home is Sony's but most audience still classify it Marvel(which is Disney's).
Is Jumanji Paramount's or universal? I have forgotten.
Yeah, I was exaggerating when I said 9-10 top grossing movies but it is very much possible not impossible because of its from Disney and Nostalgic grabbing movies. Not much from the competition this year.
Actually they failed to compete this year. Take a look at the big names: Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Shazam, Detective Pikachu, John Wick 3, Shazam, MIB, How to train your dragon, Pets 2, Dark Phoenix, Alita, Lego movie 2 etc. No competition. The few flicks in top ten from universal and fox might be pushed out of that race.

It all boils down to just 2 movies competing in that line Hobbs and Shaw, Jumanji. And possibly IT 2. The others are jokes. Sadly even Joker seems more like a bonafide joke Box office wise unless they pull off a miracle, which of course I'm hoping for. This year has been shite for WB already.

Sony owns the distribution rights, while Disney owns the property rights, thus technically, Sony only claim to the film, and the proceeds by proxy, lies in the distribution contract.

In other words, Spider-Man: Far From Home is Disney's, not Sony's.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 31, 2019
abduleez1:

I tell you. Omo the thing just weak me. No competition at all. Even Universal that showed some grit is seemingly weak now. Disney sweeping it all the way.

Definitely Disney's year, they might even get up to 9 movies in top ten, possibly even 10/10. We are not even talking Malificient 2, Star Wars , Frozen 2. The competition doesn't even come close. Only movie that's going to come in between them is gonna be Hobbs and Shaw.

This year alone, Disney put 4 movies in the billion dollar club, with 3 more on the peripheral, and 3 more yet to premiere... I don't think Hobbs and Shaw will unsettle anything, to be completely frank. Disney owns the year... and the foreseeable future. That much is apparent.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 31, 2019
DannyKoice:

Sony may own the distribution rights, but Far From Home is Disney's through and through.
Lol, what are you talking about? Sony made a deal with marvel/Disney. Everything about Spider-Man is owned by Sony down to the villains. Ask universal about hulk. You really need to do some reading.

Read the circled area carefully, only the avengers does Disney have more rights but far from home is purely Sony

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 31, 2019
iuwe:
Lol, what are you talking about? Sony made a deal with marvel/Disney. Everything about Spider-Man is owned by Sony down to the villains. Ask universal about hulk. You really need to do some reading.

Read the circled area carefully, only the avengers does Disney have more rights but far from home is purely Sony

Lolz, that's not what the article said at all, it actually consolidated what I said, bro. It's a contract that allows Sony to ONLY distribute films that have Spidey as the protagonist.

I see that you conveniently left out the part where it says Disney shares Spider-Man film rights with Sony, lolz.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 31, 2019
DannyKoice:

Lolz, that's not what the article said at all, it actually consolidated what I said, bro. It's a contract that allows Sony to ONLY distribute films that have Spidey as the protagonist.

Are you kidding me?

Who made the Venom movie?

What about the upcoming Morbius the living vampire movie?

All this are Spider-Man villains and Sony property.

You are right about one thing though, the deal with Disney stipulates that Sony has the rights when Spider-Man is the main character (please not just the protogainst), who was the main character in Far From Home then?

All Avengers movie has the Disney Logo and all standalone Spidey movie has Sony. Go and look at the cover photo for the movie again.

DannyKoice:
I see that you conveniently left out the part where it says Disney shares Spider-Man film rights with Sony, lolz.
Let me just drop this one here. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://collider.com/spider-man-marvel-sony-deal-explained/%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwjF0Pyz497jAhUyrHEKHf9-BGoQFjANegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2MHDremeQ8iQjg5gQMtG0G&ampcf=1

Carefully read the screenshot for proper information

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Damfostopper(m): 10:16am On Jul 31, 2019
Black Hawk Down.... 7/10.....

Saving Private Ryan...... 8/10.....wasn't impressed by the movie ending
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 10:36am On Jul 31, 2019
Has anyone finished "the boys" and "orange is the new black" series.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:52am On Jul 31, 2019
JeromeBlack:
Has anyone finished "the boys" and "orange is the new black" series.
orange is the new black was everything you would expect a finale to be, well written and good.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 31, 2019
iuwe:

Are you kidding me?

Who made the Venom movie?

What about the upcoming Morbius the living vampire movie?

All this are Spider-Man villains and Sony property.

You are right about one thing though, the deal with Disney stipulates that Sony has the rights when Spider-Man is the main character (please not just the protogainst), who was the main character in Far From Home then?

All Avengers movie has the Disney Logo and all standalone Spidey movie has Sony. Go and look at the cover photo for the movie again.

Let me just drop this one here. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://collider.com/spider-man-marvel-sony-deal-explained/%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwjF0Pyz497jAhUyrHEKHf9-BGoQFjANegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2MHDremeQ8iQjg5gQMtG0G&ampcf=1

Carefully read the screenshot for proper information

Since Sony is the primary distributor of Spidey movies, it stands within reason it should have it's logo on the cover photo. Netflix for instance, has it's logo on The Expanse outside USA because it's the sole distributor of the product outside the country, even though Amazon Primes has the proprietary rights overall.

Anyhoo,

The article reads,

"While Marvel studios doesn't get any box office from Spider-Man: Homecoming and it's sequel, they do still owns the merchandising rights to Spider-Man, and thus if Homecoming is a success, that will no doubt extend toys, underoos, and other Spider-Man products available."

It went further to state,

"Moreover, ensuring Spider-Man: Homecoming is a good movie helps the MCU brand."

The article clearly states here that MCU owns the property/merchandising rights to Spider-Man, and preceding Homecoming BO success, stands to gain even more control over Spider-Man property rights, or am I imagining it?

What exactly are you on about, man?

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 11:02am On Jul 31, 2019
oyaskii:
orange is the new black was everything you would expect a finale to be, well written and good.

On point. I loved the finale. I rarely cry for films but this time I cried.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 31, 2019
JeromeBlack:

On point. I loved the finale. I rarely cry for films but this time I cried.
Chicken.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 31, 2019
Different day

Same shiity arguments by overgrown babies angry

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 11:14am On Jul 31, 2019
DannyKoice:

Chicken.

I thought you of all people would understand. Real men are not ashamed of their feelings.

cool

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 31, 2019
DannyKoice:

The article reads,

"While Marvel studios doesn't get any box office from Spider-Man: Homecoming and it's sequel, they do still owns the merchandising rights to Spider-Man, and thus if Homecoming is a success, that will no doubt extend toys, underoos, and other Spider-Man products available."

It went further to state,

"Moreover, ensuring Spider-Man: Homecoming is a good movie helps the MCU brand."

The article clearly states here that MCU owns the property/merchandising rights to Spider-Man, and preceding Homecoming BO success, stands to gain even more control over Spider-Man property rights, or am I imagining it?
Merchandising rights is different from property rights please. Marvel studios still owns the merchandise rights like spiderman comics, action figures, stickers, posters, tee shirts etc, that is why Disney can do anything with spiderman comics because the profits is their but the property rights is solely Sony's.

Do you think Sony paid marvel $10m in 2001 I think to be bossed around?

DannyKoice:
What exactly are you on about, man?

This is what I am saying, Far From Home is a Sony movie not Disney's, and all the box office proceed goes to Sony

DannyKoice:

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 31, 2019
JeromeBlack:

I thought you of all people would understand. Real men are not ashamed of their feelings.

cool

True, but OiTNB isn't exactly depressing, is it? I wonder what would be your reaction after seeing the motherlode of depressing shows, This is Us. I bet you'd be bawling like a baby afterwards. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 31, 2019
iuwe:

Merchandising rights is different from property rights please. Marvel studios still owns the merchandise rights like spiderman comics, action figures, stickers, posters, tee shirts etc, that is why Disney can do anything with spiderman comics because the profits is their but the property rights is solely Sony's.

Do you think Sony paid marvel $10m in 2001 I think to be bossed around?

Property rights is an aspect of merchandising, bro. It's actually the first stage of merchandising.

iuwe:

This is what I am saying, Far From Home is a Sony movie not Disney's, and all the box office proceed goes to Sony

You deliberately misinterpreted the article to suit your narrative. The article said that Marvel shared the right with Sony on Homecoming. but didn't reap the proceeds. but as per the agreement, will have more financial reward from the sequels, which in this case is Far From Home. In other words, Sony and Disney will share the proceeds from Far from Home, while Disney will strengthen it's grip on the merchandise.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 11:42am On Jul 31, 2019
DannyKoice:

True, but OiTNB isn't exactly depressing, is it? I wonder what would be your reaction after seeing the motherlode of depressing shows, This is Us. I bet you'd be bawling like a baby afterwards. grin
OINTB is depressing. The real life immigration problems in America and the people who suffer under the justice system...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 31, 2019
JeromeBlack:

OINTB is depressing. The real life immigration problems in America and the people who suffer under the justice system...

They overdramatized/glamorized it. The situation is far more depressing as was depicted.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 31, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Crying is the wrong emotion to feel in a situation like that. It goes to show you they got it wrong. Rage is the right emotion. Watch "When They See Us" to get the gist.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 12:03pm On Jul 31, 2019
Dead Snow 2 (Red vs Dead)
Horror. This is the best zombie movie I've ever watched.

Read Plot below

https://https-en-m-wikipedia-org.0.freebasics.com/wiki/Dead_Snow:_Red_vs._Dead?iorg_service_id_internal=1547440102204384%3BAfrypzPttD4Derbc

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 31, 2019
DannyKoice:

Property rights is an aspect of merchandising, bro. It's actually the first stage of merchandising.

Nope, property rights Sony bought was the entire filming rights. You cannot make a spiderman movie without Sony's authorization. No company would be stupid to sell character rights.

Let's put spiderman rights this way,

Sony owns Filming rights

Marvel owns Character rights and merchandizing rights

Disney owns Marvel but without Sony's filming rights.

DannyKoice:
You deliberately misinterpreted the article to suit your narrative. The article said that Marvel shared the right with Sony on Homecoming. but didn't reap the proceeds. but as per the agreement, will have more financial reward from the sequels, which in this case is Far From Home. In other words, Sony and Disney will share the proceeds from Far from Home, while Disney will strengthen it's grip on the merchandise.

And I read, "While Marvel studio doesn't get any box office from Spider-Man and its' Sequel meaning marvel isn't profiting from Far From Home.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 31, 2019
iuwe:

Nope, property rights Sony bought was the entire filming rights. You cannot make a spiderman movie without Sony's authorization. No company would be stupid to sell character rights.

Let's put spiderman rights this way,

Sony owns Filming rights

Marvel owns Character rights and merchandizing rights

Disney owns Marvel but without Sony's filming rights.

Marvel owns the Spider-Man merchandise, and used to have the sole proprietary rights to the merchandise, but after hitting a financial snafu, they sold part of the rights to Sony while retaining their full merchandise ownership. The stipulation being, Sony will distribute and have total creative control of any Spider-Man movie in which he's the main character, while MCU will have the distribution and total creative control in movies Spider-Man is a minor character. Thus, to all intends and purpose, they are sharing the rights to Spider-Man, just like the article articulated.

So even if Sony receive all the proceeds from Homecoming and Far From Home BO, MCU and by extension, Disney wins either way, since it stands to gain millions of dollars from sells of Spidey accessories like toys, Underwears, regalia and whatnot (something Sony couldn't replicate in regards to Infinity War and Endgame).

Bottom line, MCU owns the merchandise and part of the proprietary (filming) rights.

iuwe:

And I read, "While Marvel studio doesn't get any box office from Spider-Man and its' Sequel meaning marvel isn't profiting from Far From Home.

I guess we see what we want to see.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 1:33pm On Jul 31, 2019
DannyKoice:

Not really. If the sum total of your high glossing films BO is higher than your competitions, doesn't matter if your films are only 2 or 3 in number, you've won the year.

In this regard Disney has already won the year.

Thank you my bro. That's what I'm trying explaining to him. Doesn't matter if you won only a season or just 1/2 movies. Na total box office gross be Koko

(1) (2) (3) ... (1520) (1521) (1522) (1523) (1524) (1525) (1526) ... (3833) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Flamez01, OG316 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.