Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,920 members, 7,824,869 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (2172) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3764965 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2169) (2170) (2171) (2172) (2173) (2174) (2175) ... (3838) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 9:02pm On May 29, 2020
mekaprime2:

Don't you think mentioning movies like inception, transcendence & in time is kinda way too much. Poking into the SciFi Genre is a no no for me, cause taking lots of factors into consideration, we may never get there.

Every industry has what they are good at. Hollywood is an all rounder, Bollywood excells best with Romance, Comedy, Rom-Com & Drama, and the industry has been churning out movies with exquisite contents from these genres. Nollywood, is mostly good/ ok/ trying when it comes to Comedy, Romance & Rom-Com & Sometimes Drama. Have you see a movie with John Okafor, Charles inoje, or Charles Awurum, these guys would give some American comedy actors a run for their money.

So, these genres that we are good at, we can start from there. Creative writers can come up with concepts as good as ;Before Sunshine, when Harry met Sally, Mr Bean Holiday, Booksmart, Stepbrothers, Dumb & Dumber etc. Let's start from there first & perfect these genres we are a lil bit good at, then as time goes on, we can branch into other genres.

Trust me we Nigerians are very creative, but the situation or condition of the country is enough to eliminate any form of creativity one has. Are you trying to tell me that in all your years of seeing movies, you can't come up with & pen down a concept worthy of the big screens. Many of us work from 9-5 or even more, now tell me how easy it is for someone like that to pen down something creative, then,how about those in schools with atleast 15 courses to study a semester & destiny killing lectures to put up with daily.

Na so.

Also I heard a story back then that the Nollywood environment sef kill creativity on its own. I heard if you turn in a script without being amongst this Genres you are going nowhere and without funding: Comedy, Drama, Romance. If you try Action you getting very limited. High concept ideas eg sci-fi and nolanverse are shot down naturally, them go tell you say e be like say you never ready for naija film industry. grin

To prove this analogy if you look through the highest grossing Nollywood films; top ten would be dominated by the above Genre especially Comedy Drama 95%.

Little wonder you rarely see historical movies about Naija. The exception being October 1 and prolly 76. I still wonder why no one has come up yet with the counterinsurgency war or Boko Haram narrative since all these years.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Liposure: 9:18pm On May 29, 2020
IngeniousLeez:

Na so.

Also I heard a story back then that the Nollywood environment sef kill creativity on its own. I heard if you turn in a script without being amongst this Genres you are going nowhere and without funding: Comedy, Drama, Romance. If you try Action you getting very limited. High concept ideas eg sci-fi and nolanverse are shot down naturally, them go tell you say e be like say you never ready for naija film industry. grin

To prove this analogy if you look through the highest grossing Nollywood films; top ten would be dominated by the above Genre especially Comedy Drama 95%.

Little wonder you rarely see historical movies about Naija. The exception being October 1 and prolly 76. I still wonder why no one has come up yet with the counterinsurgency war or Boko Haram narrative since all these years.
the future is bright
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Liposure: 9:20pm On May 29, 2020
IngeniousLeez:

Don't worry we are getting there. Netflix acquired Lionheart and King of Boys for their content last year for some juicy amount.

Soon others will follow suit. I know we can't do VFX, I was just joking. grin

I'm still waiting for peeps who have watched Ratnik to come and give testimony. grin grin It's Nigerian sci-fi. grin grin
am very much interested in ratnik
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Liposure: 9:31pm On May 29, 2020
IngeniousLeez:

Most especially after I finished watching that nonsensical movie— 93 days. Imagine the hype around that movie that time about Ebola.
and 2 think i frowned when nepa took light while watching it on DTV
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 9:33pm On May 29, 2020
Ratnik

- main character forming yankee/american accent
- plot copied from 3 different hollywood movies
-poor graphics
- poor sound engineering
- poor customery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by hahn(m): 9:46pm On May 29, 2020
Born2Freak:

We are on the same page.

My original comment was saying that the government should invest in Nollywood by investing in the arts. How many film schools do we have?

Even the loans you mention- there are government grants and loans for manufacturing companies but none for movie companies.

If we invest in video technology, arts and film schools, tax breaks for movie productions etc, Nollywood would be great

Alaba international is another obstacle
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime2: 9:56pm On May 29, 2020
Born2Freak:

There is no hope. Nollywood is not trying abeg. Even with a hostile environment, one can still do great things.

When I was young, i remember the quality of the plot and script of Things Fall Apart. Granted, it had a source material from the book but then..

Or just look at indie movies in America. With little budgets, they create cheap movies that mostly focus on the dramatic plot.

Where are the Nigerian short movies on youtube? If we can copy short comedy videos (cough* brother shaggy) why can't we also do short movies in youtube that wont even cost much?

The only thing Nollywood has is good actors. I am yet to see a good plot in Nigerian films. Even our romantic films lack good storylines. It is either predictable or copied from a Hollywood film.

I know part of the problem is from.the Nigerin government and nigerian environment but still...

There's hope. Ask me how? Alright, just like ingeniousLeez said, most of our movies are purchased by or are streaming on Netflix. I count 12 of em'
Lionheart
The bling lagosians
Moms at war
King of boys
Up north
Merry men
New money
Mokalik
Tatu
93 days
The wedding party 2
Living in bondage: breaking free.

If the contents of these Flicks were that bad, do you think Netflix would have purchased em'.

Ok here's the deal, Netflix purchasing these movies gives a sort of promotional advantage to the producers of the above flicks. If Genevieve Nnaji comes up tomorrow with a movie idea, do you think it'll be difficult for her to find investors or fund?

Our contents have improved presently, that's why Netflix saw it as financially rewarding purchasing our movies. And as long as our content keeps improving, Netflix would always be willing to buy or showcase our content on their platform, thus, more producers are added unto the list, and as such, investors would see the industry as viable & will be willing to invest in the already made producers, this would in turn trigger upcoming producers to work their ass off so as to be on the list, invariably, the growth of the industry becomes exponential.

So therefore, there's hope.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 10:00pm On May 29, 2020
Liposure:
and 2 think i frowned when nepa took light while watching it on DTV

Mtchew.... You will kiss nothing.

Na that mumu film make me abruptly stop my Nollywood film download ASAP cos the experience was best forgotten.
And to think they overhyped this film that time when it came out. Ebola relived this, that. I was so annoyed I couldn't post review, cos I go dey vex as I see am.
It's the most boring and useless Nollywood film I've downloaded ever.

93 days..... 2.5/10

The only thing I gained from that film was the insight on how the FG handled the Ebola issue. If that level of seriousness and response is applied to this Coronavirus situation the whole populace is in hot soup!!
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 10:05pm On May 29, 2020
mekaprime2:

There's hope. Ask me how? Alright, just like ingeniousLeez said, most of our movies are purchased by or are streaming on Netflix. I count 12 of em'
Lionheart
The bling lagosians
Moms at war
King of boys
Up north
Merry men
New money
Mokalik
Tatu
93 days
The wedding party 2

If the contents of these Flicks were that bad, do you think Netflix would have purchased em'.

Ok here's the deal, Netflix purchasing these movies gives a sort of promotional advantage to the producers of the above flicks. If Genevieve Nnaji comes up tomorrow with a movie idea, do you think it'll be difficult for her to find investors or fund?

Our contents have improved presently, that's why Netflix saw it as financially rewarding purchasing our movies. And as long as our content keeps improving, Netflix would always be willing to buy or showcase our content on their platform, thus, more producers are added unto the list, and as such, investors would see the industry as viable & will be willing to invest in the already made producers, this would in turn trigger upcoming producers to work their ass off so as to be on the list, invariably, the growth of the industry becomes exponential.

Netflix is just applying local products to local markets. Business 101.

Netflix india has Bollywood movies.

Netflix Japan has more anime

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 10:06pm On May 29, 2020
hahn:

Alaba international is another obstacle

Piracy is even counterintuitively good for movies. The most pirated movies are also the best selling movies.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Liposure: 10:06pm On May 29, 2020
IngeniousLeez:

Na that mumu film make me abruptly stop my Nollywood film download ASAP cos the experience was best forgotten.
And to think they overhyped this film that time when it came out. Ebola relived this, that. I was so annoyed I couldn't post review, cos I go dey vex as I see am.

93 days..... 2.5/10

The only thing I gained from that film was the insight on how the FG handled the Ebola issue. If that level of seriousness and response is applied to this Coronavirus situation the whole populace is in hot soup!!
am still gonna watch sha. If at all 4 nollywood sake
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 10:09pm On May 29, 2020
mekaprime2:

Lionheart
The bling lagosians
Moms at war
King of boys
Up north
Merry men
New money
Mokalik
Tatu
93 days
The wedding party 2

Very well said. I concur.
Lionheart was decent enough to even get Oscar buzz last year sef. So there's hope as you said.
The Oscars controversy was huge sef, it was kinda global. grin grin Twitter and Facebook go Gaga that time. cheesy

Asides that, that 93 days scratch that. That film no deserve to dey that list at all sef. Na that film I vex during the early lockdown period not to download Nollywood content for the next four months unless it comes from my favorite studio Ebonylife and prolly AY.

THE FILM WAS BORING AS FVCK.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Liposure: 10:11pm On May 29, 2020
Born2Freak:

Piracy is even counterintuitively good for movies. The most pirated movies are also the best selling movies.
on the contrary, its bad market 4 the filmmaker
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 10:21pm On May 29, 2020
Liposure:
am still gonna watch sha. If at all 4 nollywood sake

E go end in tears Sha. I don tell you.

You can go with this list:

The CEO
Isoken
Lionheart
King of Boys
Bling Lagosians
Chief Daddy
Fifty
Hire a Man
Hire a Woman
Moms at War
Merrymen
New Money
October 1
The Wedding Party 1&2
Alter Ego
A trip to Jamaica
30 Days in Atlanta
Celebrity Marriage
The Figurine
Love is War
Crazy People

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by hahn(m): 10:55pm On May 29, 2020
Born2Freak:

Not in Nigeria
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sammklef225(m): 12:25am On May 30, 2020
Please I have been wanting to download an oldie movie but can't remember the title but I remember a scene when the guy was misled buy a lizard to represent I in To-let and he taught it was a toilet..abeg who remembers this movie??
Thanks in advance �
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Myrainbow333: 1:23am On May 30, 2020
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by dandan280: 1:49am On May 30, 2020
sammklef225:
Please I have been wanting to download an oldie movie but can't remember the title but I remember a scene when the guy was misled buy a lizard to represent I in To-let and he taught it was a toilet..abeg who remembers this movie??
Thanks in advance �
Mr bones

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 2:10am On May 30, 2020
dandan280:

Mr bones
The one featuring Snoop Dogg or one Snoop Doggish character like that?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 3:05am On May 30, 2020
Please,I need link for Shazam (480p).

F z movies and tfpdl aren’t working.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by DrDax: 6:19am On May 30, 2020
Born2Freak:

We are on the same page.

My original comment was saying that the government should invest in Nollywood by investing in the arts. How many film schools do we have?

Even the loans you mention- there are government grants and loans for manufacturing companies but none for movie companies.

If we invest in video technology, arts and film schools, tax breaks for movie productions etc, Nollywood would be great

Yes, enabling environment by the government.

But money, the real money, should come from the private sector.

We blame government too much in these parts yet we all do our best to dodge taxes.

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 6:24am On May 30, 2020
DrDax:

Yes, enabling environment by the government.

But money, the real money, should come from the private sector.

We blame government too much in these parts yet we all do our best to dodge taxes.

Speak for yourself. I pay my taxes. The problem is that the taxes are stolen rather than used for public amenities.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by DrDax: 6:36am On May 30, 2020
Born2Freak:

There is no hope. Nollywood is not trying abeg. Even with a hostile environment, one can still do great things.

When I was young, i remember the quality of the plot and script of Things Fall Apart. Granted, it had a source material from the book but then..

Or just look at indie movies in America. With little budgets, they create cheap movies that mostly focus on the dramatic plot.

Where are the Nigerian short movies on youtube? If we can copy short comedy videos (cough* brother shaggy) why can't we also do short movies in youtube that wont even cost much?

The only thing Nollywood has is good actors. I am yet to see a good plot in Nigerian films. Even our romantic films lack good storylines. It is either predictable or copied from a Hollywood film.

I know part of the problem is from.the Nigerin government and nigerian environment but still...

Deep pockets bro.
When you say short youtube videos, how much is not much?

No matter how cheap or short the movie is, how many people have the leverage?

Standard of living is downhill, how many can afford to buy rights from hungry publishers who are even too myopic to consider shared revenue from film adaptations of their books?

Imagine making short films out of classics like:

Eze goes to school
The drummer boy

How about the Pacesetters series?
Try buying the rights from McMillian books grin

A good film and production has to create some buzz from the get-go, unfortunately, how many can afford quality.

We have a gold mine waiting to be tapped.

Maybe some foreign studio would soon see these potentials and begin importing creative hands.

That would be the beginning.....

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by DrDax: 6:39am On May 30, 2020
Born2Freak:

Speak for yourself. I pay my taxes. The problem is that the taxes are stolen rather than used for public amenities.

A topic for another day.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 7:27am On May 30, 2020
sammklef225:
Thanks in advance �

Mr. Bones. grin grin cheesy

That movie was bloody hilarious. cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by toluxe0075: 7:42am On May 30, 2020
IngeniousLeez:

93 days..... 2.5/10

The aim of the movie was to depict the struggles of the health workers and how the whole ebola case was handled. For me, it did that well and you also confirmed that.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by invigilator(m): 8:13am On May 30, 2020
Good morning guys....

Please I read from comments about downloading movies & TV series on Telegram? Please I would love someone to tell me how I can do that. Thanks
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Barrywhyte1(m): 9:26am On May 30, 2020
IngeniousLeez:
Hulk616, angryhulk616,hulk617-9 whats up niggah.

Say hello to marvel for me. grin grin

#TheFirstOfManyToCome grin grin

Pls is Richard madden queer or something because he seems to be on the radar of gay portrayals on screen these days, just like in rocketman where he had a sex scene with taron egerton

Anyways how far market Hulk616, Nightguy , Angryhulk .....
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by izriel(m): 9:52am On May 30, 2020
invigilator:
Good morning guys....

Please I read from comments about downloading movies & TV series on Telegram? Please I would love someone to tell me how I can do that. Thanks

Search for those channels on telegram

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by dandan280: 10:38am On May 30, 2020
Ishilove:

The one featuring Snoop Dogg or one Snoop Doggish character like that?
I don't know if Snoop dog was featured but I know it's a southafrican movie having both native and modernized parts
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nickshrapnel: 10:43am On May 30, 2020
dandan280:

I don't know if Snoop dog was featured but I know it's a southafrican movie having both native and modernized parts
Mr Bones 2
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by invigilator(m): 11:05am On May 30, 2020
izriel:

Search for those channels on telegram

Thanks so much

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2169) (2170) (2171) (2172) (2173) (2174) (2175) ... (3838) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.