Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,631 members, 7,820,223 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3562) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3756441 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3559) (3560) (3561) (3562) (3563) (3564) (3565) ... (3835) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Arizoner: 6:51pm On Jun 18, 2023
pu7pl3:

Baba carried Nigerians on handicap I say make me sef join the fun
when they come here, they start forming superstar. This nigger lived all his life abroad and couldn't break into hollywood. They will come here and deceive nollywood directors with fake american accent
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 6:54pm On Jun 18, 2023
Man, seeing the box office cumes for The Flash and I'm almost in tears.... 🥺😟

I honestly thought this movie will make money...at least $600mn global despite.
Omo, this just proves the general audience have lost faith in DC. A lot of scenarios are in play as to this massive underperformance but this ain't the time for that.

This just means the DCEU movies will still suffer like this if they kept it going on.
It now reinforces James Gunn plan for a hard reboot a wise choice. Cos wtf is this numbers. Even Black Adam had better opening day. 😢
I guess the fan screenings opened it up for overexposure after all.

Omo, na to give the DC brand a 2 year sabbatical and come out strong in 2025. We still have Joker 2 next year sha. Give the general audience time to forget about the DCEU failings.

James has massive work and rebranding to do with the upcoming DCU. Good thing he has pedigree already and has favour with general audience & critics and industry professionals.
The DCEU is officially dead and no plastering work would have saved it.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:00pm On Jun 18, 2023
The kind pressure on Barbie ehn no be here..

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 7:40pm On Jun 18, 2023
abduleez1:

Omo, this just proves the general audience have lost faith in DC. A lot of scenarios are in play as to this massive underperformance but this ain't the time for that.

This just means the DCEU movies will still suffer like this if they kept it going on.
It now reinforces James Gunn plan for a hard reboot a wise choice. Cos wtf is this numbers. Even Black Adam had better opening day. 😢

Omo, na to give the DC brand a 2 year sabbatical and come out strong in 2025. We still have Joker 2 next year sha. Give the general audience time to forget about the DCEU failings.

James has massive work and rebranding to do with the upcoming DCU. Good thing he has pedigree already and has favour with general audience & critics and industry professionals.
DCEU needs serious reboot...right now it's dead...

And they need to stop trying to be like Marvel...even Marvel right now are finding a way to reinvent, why can't DCEU just go its own way...?
Find a formula that works for it instead of trying tired troupes...

The Flash had no story to tell obviously, everyone knew that...I haven't watched the movie but I know it's just a mix of the Flashpoint comics/animation + Multiverse nostalgia fanservice

The Flashpoint story sef is a good story but feels overused. I don't know where it's been done in live action but literally everyone knows it already.
Flash runs so fast he goes back in time to save his mom, then the butterfly effect leads the world to chaos with many heroes dying...
And as a result Flash has to learn to accept the past and realize what is most important and sacrifice his mom again by undoing everything to restore order.
Good story but loses impact since everyone knows it already even before watching the movie

I believe DC for now should focus first on individual Character stories instead of trying to rush things with too many characters and cameos...

And they need to forget this multiverse nostalgia shît.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 7:50pm On Jun 18, 2023
I can't wait for the Multiverse concept to die out. Ive been saying that for months...
Critical Drinker too said same in his latest video...he's tired already...many people have said the same thing...

Yeah, there are a handful of good movies with multiverse concept. But those movies are good, not because of the concept in them but because of the story...
It's basically taking an overused and tired concept but giving a good story to cover it's flaws...

MULTIVERSE IS THE WORST CONCEPT I'VE SEEN IN THE SUPERHERO GENRE...
It's just a sorry excuse to bring in cameos and take advantage of Nostalgia

The Multiverse is one of the things that killed Superhero comics along with wokeness...
If they don't stop it, it will kill Superhero movies too

It's been what? Several years since Superhero movies started focusing on it...
Till date, I've not seen a single good use of the concept in a superhero movie...it's just Nostalgia bait and nothing more
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by BlackManta(m): 7:58pm On Jun 18, 2023
abduleez1:
The kind pressure on Barbie ehn no be here..

They still have Dune and Meg 2

WB has a higher chance of making profits from those movies than with AQ2 and Blue Beetle.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by blessedchild234(m): 8:05pm On Jun 18, 2023
9/10

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by NaijaMemes: 8:28pm On Jun 18, 2023
Baddestguyp:
I can't wait for the Multiverse concept to die out. Ive been saying that for months...
Critical Drinker too said same in his latest video...he's tired already...many people have said the same thing...

Yeah, there are a handful of good movies with multiverse concept. But those movies are good, not because of the concept in them but because of the story...
It's basically taking an overused and tired concept but giving a good story to cover it's flaws...

MULTIVERSE IS THE WORST CONCEPT I'VE SEEN IN THE SUPERHERO GENRE...
It's just a sorry excuse to bring in cameos and take advantage of Nostalgia

The Multiverse is one of the things that killed Superhero comics along with wokeness...
If they don't stop it, it will kill Superhero movies too

It's been what? Several years since Superhero movies started focusing on it...
Till date, I've not seen a single good use of the concept in a superhero movie...it's just Nostalgia bait and nothing more

The critical drinker indeed. I started hating the guy after his black panther review. Sha the guy is right 80% of the time.

The multiverse is always a great trope for movies. In fact even the early 90s spiderman series had a spiderverse and handled it well.

What about the Avengers and Dr Strange multiverse of madness? Didn't they handle the multiverse trope well?

Some of the greatest DC animations even have the multiverse trope. Eg Flashpoint Paradox.

I understand your point. The multiverse trope can become overused. However, if it is executed well as a movie trope, the multiverse can be a good thing. I still dream fondly of the spiderverse
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 9:08pm On Jun 18, 2023
oyaskii:
No. Just a behind the scene look in yesterday's event. But new footage is upcoming and there was a teaser trailer not too long ago.
Yea I saw the Behind the Scene video. I can't wait for the official trailer
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 9:11pm On Jun 18, 2023
NaijaMemes:

The critical drinker indeed. I started hating the guy after his black panther review. Sha the guy is right 80% of the time.

The multiverse is always a great trope for movies. In fact even the early 90s spiderman series had a spiderverse and handled it well.

What about the Avengers and Dr Strange multiverse of madness? Didn't they handle the multiverse trope well?

Some of the greatest DC animations even have the multiverse trope. Eg Flashpoint Paradox.

I understand your point. The multiverse trope can become overused. However, if it is executed well as a movie trope, the multiverse can be a good thing. I still dream fondly of the spiderverse

At bolded, you listen to that Guy? I can't stand his style of review tbh. Makes me wanna pluck my ears out.

For me tho, i am not really bothered about the multiverse been stereotyped in CBM, as i think it is part and parcel of it. It will take a really good writer and serious maneuver to avoid the multiverse concept entirely, i can't even think of one CBM of the top of my head in the last 5 years that has done it successfully.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 9:14pm On Jun 18, 2023
phr0nesis:

Yea I saw the Behind the Scene video. I can't wait for the official trailer
I have no doubt Snyder will totally cook with that Movie.. can't wait...i just hope the man finds his way back to DC/WB.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 9:29pm On Jun 18, 2023
oyaskii:
I have no doubt Snyder will totally cook with that Movie.. can't wait...i just hope the man finds his way back to DC/WB.
You know Michael Shannon had to ask for his approval before appearing in The Flash. He still has some influence in DC
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 9:38pm On Jun 18, 2023
NaijaMemes:

the Spiderverse are good movies...not that the concept was good.

It's so cringe anytime they talk about the multiverse. It honestly feels like they're making up random words with no idea what they're talking about...

I've said it before that the only way to properly explore the multiverse concept is to give it well-defined and strict rules...
But CBM will never do that...cos they don't care about consistency, they just want nostalgia bait and cameos...

Even in the comics, were there ever clearly defined and strict rules on how the multiverse works?

The problem occurs when the IP is owned by a company so no singular writer can create his own rules since they're not allowed to restrict subsequent writers

That is why the Multiverse as a concept can never be good in CBM...
The best we can get are movies with good story that can hide the flaws in the concept like the Spiderverse movies...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 9:39pm On Jun 18, 2023
oyaskii:
At bolded, you listen to that Guy? I can't stand his style of review tbh. Makes me wanna pluck my ears out.

For me tho, i am not really bothered about the multiverse been stereotyped in CBM, as i think it is part and parcel of it. It will take a really good writer and serious maneuver to avoid the multiverse concept entirely, i can't even think of one CBM of the top of my head in the last 5 years that has done it successfully.
i just stated in my above post why multiverse as a concept will never be done well in CBM
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:00pm On Jun 18, 2023
BlackManta:

They still have Dune and Meg 2

WB has a higher chance of making profits from those movies than with AQ2 and Blue Beetle.

Yeah, I know about them. They'd win big with Meg 2 and Dune 2. Whether the profits will be enough to save the 2023 slate factoring in the money spent on Flash, Shazam 2 and the films themselves is what is up in the air.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:07pm On Jun 18, 2023
Baddestguyp:
i just stated in my above post why multiverse as a concept will never be done well in CBM
They don't care about consistency? In what context? And the nostalgia cameo issh really became a thing like 2 years ago.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:08pm On Jun 18, 2023
phr0nesis:

You know Michael Shannon had to ask for his approval before appearing in The Flash. He still has some influence in DC
Yeah.The Same Micheal Shannon said he didn't enjoy BvS lol.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by GloriousGbola: 10:10pm On Jun 18, 2023
abduleez1:

i guess there was no way the movie could outrun the ezra miller shitstorm
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 10:10pm On Jun 18, 2023
oyaskii:
They don't care about consistency? In what context? And the nostalgia cameo issh really became a thing like 2 years ago.
tell me how the multiverse was consistent before?
Or even till now...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:13pm On Jun 18, 2023
Apparently Disney's "Elemental" is doing nonsense too at the BO. What the hell is happening to cinema culture? 😭😭
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:17pm On Jun 18, 2023
Baddestguyp:
tell me how the multiverse was consistent before?
Or even till now...
That's why i was asking for context. If i understand you,you are saying the multiversal concept is not consistent? Well it isn't a consistent science, so i don't expect CBM to do it perfectly 100%. So each media tries to mess with it to fit thier narrative. In the real world science, "Multiverse" is purely speculative theory existing within the science of time and space, so what hasn't been figured out in the real world, i doubt it will in fiction.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 10:21pm On Jun 18, 2023
oyaskii:
That's why i was asking for context. If i understand you,you are saying the multiversal concept is not consistent? Well it isn't a consistent science, so i don't expect CBM to do it perfectly 100%. So each media tries to mess with it to fit thier narrative. In the real world science, "Multiverse" is purely speculative theory existing within the science of time and space, so what hasn't been figured out in the real world, i doubt it will in fiction.
when you're using the concept of multiverse in a cinematic universe, you need established rules...
You need consistency...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 10:22pm On Jun 18, 2023
oyaskii:
Apparently Disney's "Elemental" is doing nonsense too at the BO. What the hell is happening to cinema culture? 😭😭
people said it failed cos it went woke...

Dunno how true tho...

But I heard it really added some woke stuff...even new Characters with new pronouns
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:31pm On Jun 18, 2023
GloriousGbola:

i guess there was no way the movie could outrun the ezra miller shitstorm

I don't really think it's mainly about Ezra. There's many things going against the movie and Miller isn't even the major cause in my opinion.
My belief is:

a) The DC brand is at its lowest ebb with general audience. Black Adam, Shazam 2 and the last few movies haven't lived up to expectations and consequently gives the GA reasons to avoid DC.

B) WB inadvertently pushed the movie to overexposure with fan screenings.

c) The negative press and malicious agenda by some vested interests was a major player in undermining the movie. Several clips was leaked as well as the full movie as well as Camrips and stupid tales about its wack CGI few weeks to launch.
This movement somehow destroyed all hype or positivity building up for the movie and it's hurting its word of mouth.

d) and then there's Ezra Miller issue but I don't see this really significant with the general audience. Cos peeps who aren't on movie twitter don't know shït about the movie star's antics.

e) then there's also the issue of bias critics and industry watchers who fail to review the movie for itself and instead make it a morality judgement of its star. It's evident in the reviews, almost all the negative feedback wasn't even about the movie itself but because of Ezra Miller's appearance. Funny enough, some critics praised his performance in it. But as you said, even the Flash can't outrun Ezra's shithousery.

f) another major plot to this disaster is the serious competition in movies this summer. There's TLM doing strong business in domestic box office as well as SpiderVerse waxing strong globally. More movies are also coming out almost weekly with Indy 5 set to join (another problematic film too).

And this is why I want no Ezra Miller back as well other possible problematic actors for the upcoming projects. DC needs to stay out of the news and bad press for a long streak. Incoming creatives, actors, directors, writers etc needs to be put under the microscope for any negativity and watch their words in the public.
This is why I have some faith in James Gunn. So far his creative team and directors for the films is going the right direction as well as the choices I'm seeing for Superman Legacy.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:35pm On Jun 18, 2023
If "The Flash" can't beat miserables like "Uncharted" and "Eternals", then what was the point of making this movie?. Ironically I don't think Ezra Miller extracurricular activities even contributed to this seemly catastrophic fail.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:35pm On Jun 18, 2023
oyaskii:

Yep, I've been seeing that.
Many analysts have been predicting it to flop hard for weeks now sef.

I'm hearing part of the main issue for this one is Disney made people very comfortable waiting for its latest animations on the streaming platform.
It's "an original Pixar movie" doesn't sell a movie to today's audience no more apparently. No one ain't queuing for that no more.

Consequently, we go see live action remakes of animated films from Disney taya. Even very young animation films might get live actioned. No surprise if you see Frozen love action.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:38pm On Jun 18, 2023
oyaskii:
If "The Flash" can't beat miserables like "Uncharted" and "Eternals", then what was the point of making this movie?. Ironically I don't think Ezra Miller extracurricular activities even contributed to this seemly catastrophic fail.

I also don't believe Ezra Miller is the issue here.
I mean how many people who ain't online or involve in film social media know about Miller sef?

People shouting Ezra Miller are just capping shït to me.

Like I've said, there's a string of things working against it in my previous post. 👆
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 10:38pm On Jun 18, 2023
abduleez1:

I don't really think it's mainly about Ezra. There's many things going against the movie and Miller isn't even the major cause in my opinion.
My belief is:

a) The DC brand is at its lowest ebb with general audience. Black Adam, Shazam 2 and the last few movies haven't lived up to expectations.

B) WB inadvertently pushed the movie to overexposure with fan screenings.

c) The negative press and malicious agenda by some vested interests was a major player in undermining the movie. Several clips was leaked as well as the full movie as well as Camrips and stupid tales about its wack CGI few weeks to launch.
This movement somehow destroyed all hype or positivity building up for the movie and it's hurting its word of mouth.

d) and then there's Ezra Miller issue but I don't see this really significant with the general audience. Cos peeps who aren't on movie twitter don't know shït about the movie star's antics.

e) then there's also the issue of bias critics and industry watchers who fail to review the movie for itself and instead make it a morality judgement of its star. It's evident in the reviews, almost all the negative feedback wasn't even about the movie itself but because of Ezra Miller's appearance. Funny enough, some critics praised his performance in it. But as you said, even the Flash can't outrun Ezra's shithousery.

f) another major plot to this disaster is the serious competition in movies this summer. There's TLM doing strong business in domestic box office as well as SpiderVerse waxing strong globally. More movies are also coming out almost weekly with Indy 5 set to join (another problematic film too).

And this is why I want no Ezra Miller back as well other possible problematic actors for the upcoming projects. DC needs to stay out of the news and bad press for a long streak. Incoming creatives, actors, directors, writers etc needs to be put under the microscope for any negativity and watch their words in the public.
This is why I have some faith in James Gunn. So far his creative team and directors for the films is going the right direction as well as the choices I'm seeing for Superman Legacy.
you make some very good points...
It's been my opinion too that Erza Miller's rep is not what killed the movie...general audiences don't care about that...they don't even know...

Word of mouth + being part of a rebooted universe killed it

Audience lost faith in DCEU already

The whole CGI narrative did serious damage...every post about The Flash had many people making fun of its CGI even weeks before release
Trailers didn't help as the CG was never shown to improve

DC's entire marketing of the movie was on Batman rather than Flash as a means to deflect from the Miller controversy...but it made things worse imo...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:39pm On Jun 18, 2023
abduleez1:

Yep, I've been seeing that.
Many analysts have been predicting it to flop hard for weeks now sef.

I'm hearing part of the main issue for this one is Disney made people very comfortable waiting for its latest animations on the streaming platform.
It's "an original Pixar movie" doesn't sell a movie to today's audience no more apparently. No one ain't queuing for that no more.

Consequently, we go see live action remakes of animated films from Disney taya. Even very young animation films might get live actioned. No surprise if you see Frozen love action.
lol so basically, it will take alot to move an appreciable crowd to see your movie these days 😂😂. Too many factors contributing to a bad cinema run these days that are directly out of the control of the studio.Studios might just focus on Streaming and leave Cinema as side hustle cuz omooox.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 10:41pm On Jun 18, 2023
abduleez1:

I also don't believe Ezra Miller is the issue here.
I mean how many people who ain't online or involve in film social media know about Miller sef?

People shouting Ezra Miller are just capping shït to me.

Like I've said, there's a string of things working against it in my previous post. 👆
even till now I don't know or even bothered to know the whole Ezra Miller controversy...
I just know he's controversial, I don't know why
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:46pm On Jun 18, 2023
oyaskii:

Indiana Jones 5 apparently has a rubbish similar experience like The Flash to contend with in the weeks to come.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3559) (3560) (3561) (3562) (3563) (3564) (3565) ... (3835) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Kevineleven(m), seunot and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.