Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Confusion In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confusion In The Bible (897 Views)

Confusion In Church As Pastor Insist Easter Offering Must Not Be Less Than #200 / Bunch Of Confusion In Christianity / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confusion In The Bible by shylladear(f): 1:36pm On Jul 28, 2008
why is it that the story of Jesus in the book of mattew, mark, luke, john are all written in different ways yet they were all with Jesus during his time and yet they all come out with different story lines confusing we the readers.

And that is why most unbelievers, find it hard to understand the bible when we try to preach to them,
ok for example just imagine preaching the bible to a sinner or the devils advocate he or she will also direct you to a part of the bible that says other wise

my question is why
Re: Confusion In The Bible by Gamine(f): 1:41pm On Jul 28, 2008
There is no confusion in the bible.

There is only confusion in your mind.

Go back and read it
Re: Confusion In The Bible by shylladear(f): 1:46pm On Jul 28, 2008
there is no confusion in my mind

its just the truth face it

there are times when you want to correct someone about something bad and then you use a bible version and then you also see them telling you to also go to this part of the bible
and when you do, you find out that they have the same topic but opposite anwers
Re: Confusion In The Bible by JeSoul(f): 2:14pm On Jul 28, 2008
shylladear:

why is it that the story of Jesus in the book of mattew, mark, luke, john are all written in different ways yet they were all with Jesus during his time and yet they all come out with different story lines confusing we the readers.

I don't know which bible you have been reading because there is no contradiction in the bible I have. Please dear back up your claim by showing us these "different story lines". . .

And that is why most unbelievers, find it hard to understand the bible when we try to preach to them,
  Are you speaking for yourself or are you speaking for someone else? It is impossible for an "unbeliever" to understand the things of God.
  1Cor 2: 13This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. 14The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
  Unbelievers have NOT been called to read and understand God's word . . . they have FIRST been called to BELIEVE in Jesus, His death and ressurection and after the Holy Spirit works in them and imparts his spirit into them THEN they can read and understand and discern the word of God - get it?

The bible is not a textbook or a newspaper, if you attempt to read it logically using human understanding you WILL FAIL. And if you're saying others have pointed you to places in the bible that contradict or are wrong then you yourself don't know the bible, you're allowing people to twist and confuse you because you yourself are not grounded firmly in the word.
Re: Confusion In The Bible by KunleOshob(m): 2:58pm On Jul 28, 2008
@jesoul
Don't you think you sound a bit contraditory and unrealistic here? How do you expect an unbeliever to believe what he is not supposed to understand? The truth is that there are a few complexities in the bible that even pastors and preachers don't understand and they now come up with verses like you just quoted to conceal their ignorance / lack of understanding / contadiction in the bible. The truth is that the bible is a compilation of several different books written over a period exceeding 3,000 years by several different authors. The bible as been reviewed and varied several times. are you aware that there were over 600 books that were being used as scripture before the bible was compiled in 336AD by the roman catholic church?Are you also aware that the original compilation had 80 books, befoe martin luther reduced it to 66? Do you know that there are over 100 translations in to the english language alone? How can such a book be perfect?? It is painful for me as a christian to admit but the reality is that the bible is not the completely perfect book that it is being made out to be. That not withsatnding it is still the greatest and most profitable book ever. For you to understand and appreciate the bible better, i suggest you do some research on the history of the bible and see for your self. you could do a google search on the topic.

@shylladear
Even though i agree with you that is some confusion in the bible, i think you gave the wrong example. to the best of my knowledge, there is no confusion between matthew , mark, luke and John. They just gave various accounts of the life of christ from their own perspscetive. It might help if you were more specific as to the exact issues that you claim are causing confusion.
Re: Confusion In The Bible by JeSoul(f): 4:24pm On Jul 28, 2008
KunleOshob:

@jesoul
Don't you think you sound a bit contraditory and unrealistic here? How do you expect an unbeliever to believe what he is not supposed to understand?
   And therein lies your problem Kunle. Do you think that the "understanding" of the things of God comes from our feeble human minds? NO! understanding comes from the Holyspirit. And an unbeliever trying to discern the word WILL FAIL because his mind just simply cannot grasp the bible. Period.

Again: 1Cor 2: 13This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. 14The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
  Jesus said "Believe" and you will be saved. He did not say go and do your research, go and try to reason it out, go and search and study, NO. He simply said "For God so loved the word that he gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life". The only thing christians are to do is tell others the gospel, and all they are to do is either believe it or not. Period.

Belief is not based on whether or not you can logically prove what is said in the bible, God has called us is to simply believe. Christ said "blessed are those who believe even though they have not seen". This is not to say you should not use your brain and think things out BUT God requires simple child-like belief in Him and His word.

The truth is that there are a few complexities in the bible that even pastors and preachers don't understand and they now come up with verses like you just quoted to conceal their ignorance / lack of understanding / contadiction in the bible.
   You know what I find contradictory and unrealistic? for you to say you're a christian but yet still hold to the notion that the very word of God, the bible is imperfect; for you to suggest that there is "confusion" in the bible.

The truth is that the bible is a compilation of several different books written over a period exceeding 3,000 years by several different authors. The bible as been reviewed and varied several times. are you aware that there were over 600 books that were being used as scripture before the bible was compiled in 336AD by the roman catholic church?Are you also aware that the original compilation had 80 books, befoe martin luther reduced it to 66? Do you know that there are over 100 translations in to the english language alone? How can such a book be perfect?? It is painful for me as a christian to admit but the reality is that the bible is not the completely perfect book that it is being made out to be. That not withsatnding it is still the greatest and most profitable book ever. For you to understand and appreciate the bible better, i suggest you do some research on the history of the bible and see for your self. you could do a google search on the topic.
  Lol. . . Kunle do you think you're the first and only one doing "research" and studying the roots of the bible? Do you think that the millions of christians out there that trust the bible are all lost and misguided? Listen I am not trying to convince or persuade you but please think gravely about the insinuation that you're making when you say the bible is not perfect as a christian.
  Why then do you even bother to read this imperfect book? why do you quote it? why do you follow it at all? if it's not perfect then my goodness doesn't that make you a little foolish for living by it? this is the same imperfect book you use all over the religion board to support/refute your claims.

You cannot have it both ways, believe the bible for some things then use the same mouth to say it has flaws. It is simple, you either believe the bible or not. You can't have one foot in the door and one foot out.
Re: Confusion In The Bible by Shaz(f): 5:12pm On Jul 28, 2008
@ KunleOshob,

The answer is simple. If you don't believe, forget it. One thing you have to realise is that if you don't believe wholeheartedly, then you're worse than an unbeliever. Take it or leave it
Re: Confusion In The Bible by KunleOshob(m): 9:41am On Jul 29, 2008
In as much as i don't want to respond to a bunch of ignorant little children who are just rantling for the sake of rantling as there is very clear evidence that they don't even know what they claim to believe in while assuming or claiming they are christians, one question i woud ask these ignoramus is this. Was the bible handed down to us by the Jesus or the apsotles? The resounding answer is NO the bible did not even come into existence until about 300 years after christ left us. Ask your self what did the early christians (who practised real christianity unlike the fake christianity being practised today)use in their practise of christianity. What did christ promise the disciples after his death?? In case you don't know he promised them the holy spirit and not a bible or canon of books. The bible was compiled by the roman catholic church under the guidiance of a pagan roman emperor constantine and there was a lot of politics involved in the compilation of the bible (Do you even know it was a crime punishable by death to convert the bible from it's original greek format to any other language until the 16th century?) . So before you go yakking bukum about things you know or understand very little about i suggest you go and re-evaluate your self as a christian. The truth is bitter but it is very obvious that the bible is not that perfect impeccable book that the church as presented it to be. It is left for us to determine what is true and work out our own salvation from it.
Re: Confusion In The Bible by MCUsman(m): 10:07am On Jul 29, 2008
KunleOshob:

The truth is bitter but it is very obvious that the bible is not that perfect impeccable book that the church as presented it to be. It is left for us to determine what is true and work out our own salvation from it.

@Kunle

It''s hard to believe that an intelligent person like you despite resource at your disposal could honestly believe that you can find salvation from something that was pen down by man, has the bearing of human error, and edited by a pagan roman king.

KunleOshob:

The truth is that the bible is a compilation of several different books written over a period exceeding 3,000 years by several different authors. The bible as been reviewed and varied several times. are you aware that there were over 600 books that were being used as scripture before the bible was compiled in 336AD by the roman catholic church?Are you also aware that the original compilation had 80 books, befoe martin luther reduced it to 66? Do you know that there are over 100 translations in to the english language alone? How can such a book be perfect?? It is painful for me as a christian to admit but the reality is that the bible is not the completely perfect book that it is being made out to be.

I guess that explains an adage in Hausa "No matter how fervently people believed that the earth was flat, the fact remains that it isn''t."

@Kunle You are living in an alternative universe,
where the truth is irrelevant - GET BACK ON YOUR MEDS!!!
Re: Confusion In The Bible by SeanT21(f): 10:09am On Jul 29, 2008
shylladear:

ok for example just imagine preaching the bible to a sinner or the devils advocate he or she will also direct you to a part of the bible that says other wise

my question is why

Eventhough they were both with Jesus, They wrote their stories from different point of view.

(1) (Reply)

Living By Faith & Not By Sight / Halelluia Or Hallelujah! / Dear God, Stop Brainwashing Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.