Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,478 members, 7,826,804 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job (17628 Views)

An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn / Basic Technology Skills Job Seekers Should Possess / 5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Abujafood: 10:04am On Dec 10, 2013
One of the major problems with the typical Nigerian job seeker is being ill-equipped and prepared for the job search. The truth is that most Nigerian graduates adopt weak job search techniques and hence why in addition to being unemployable find it hard to secure jobs – in any case jobs are scarce.

But to make it easier to find employment any serious Nigerian job seeker should keep the following at the back of his/her mind;

An online Profile

In this day and age failure to have an online presence whether through social media (facebook, twitter, linkedin) or even owning a blog of your own can add some enormous amount of leverage, giving your potential employer an idea of just how productive or otherwise you are – it wouldn’t make sense to refer them to mischievous online activities. A professional online profile enables you to build a reputation online that could sell you even during a job interview.

Effective Contact list

A list of contacts made up of other serious job seekers, recruitment agencies, HR personnel in various companies, active members of professional organizations or even online communities of professionals on linkedin or facebook is an excellent way to boost your job search as many of these contacts have access to information about vacant positions. They could be your next referral for your dream job.

Additional Soft Skills

Many Nigerian job seekers have few soft skills. By soft skills we mean skills not directly connected with your job but which makes it easier to get on with colleagues and clients. Skills like excellent written and spoken skills, interpersonal skills, analytical skills, problem solving and so on. These soft skills happen to be a huge advantage in the job search but many Nigerian job seekers miss out on it.

Bankable work experience

The catch 22 which many Nigerian job seekers face is this – you are not likely to be employed if you have no work experience but how would you get the work experience in the first place if you’re not employed? The solution is to volunteer (work for free with relevant agencies or companies) or participate in internship programmes that will enable you acquire both skills and work experience.

Business cards

Believe it or not a business card is a respectable asset to possess as a job seeker. It not only shows you’re professional but indicates readiness to take up responsibility plus it’s an excellent branding tool. All these qualities are desirable and serious employers who note this wouldn’t mind giving you a chance to prove yourself.

http://the-nigerian..com/2013/12/5-things-every-serious-nigerian-job.html

4 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Acidosis(m): 10:11am On Dec 10, 2013
6. Recommendation letter wink

Advantage: when you have this, the other 5 aforementioned becomes practically useless.

22 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Basic(m): 11:15am On Dec 10, 2013
I quite agree with the idea of taking up a volunteer position. Some have stayed jobless for over 3 yrs. If they had handled a volunteer role for 2 years, it would be a CV booster and would help reduce gaps in employment history.

3 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by olu4life(m): 12:41pm On Dec 10, 2013
Really nice esp point 4. Most dont get it that experience is truly the best teacher. Start somewhere but think big. A big dog was once a puppy..

1 Like

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Emulti(m): 5:24pm On Dec 10, 2013
kk
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Swiftlee(m): 5:26pm On Dec 10, 2013
You need God! See, without God your connections are nothing! Infact without God, your certificates and qualifications are valueless!

11 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by InvertedHammer: 5:29pm On Dec 10, 2013
Business cards

Believe it or not a business card is a respectable asset to possess as a job seeker. It not only shows you’re professional but indicates readiness to take up responsibility plus it’s an excellent branding tool. All these qualities are desirable and serious employers who note this wouldn’t mind giving you a chance to prove yourself

/

Nigerian job-seeker with a business card? I don't know about this.

\
An online Profile

In this day and age failure to have an online presence whether through social media (facebook, twitter, linkedin) or even owning a blog of your own can add some enormous amount of leverage, giving your potential employer an idea of just how productive or otherwise you are – it wouldn’t make sense to refer them to mischievous online activities. A professional online profile enables you to build a reputation online that could sell you even during a job interview.

/
Online "professional" profile you mean? Some of the postings on fb walls can actually be hindrances.
Cave ne sedes

\

2 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Temismith(f): 5:30pm On Dec 10, 2013
I agree on dis.
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by J0nyb0y(m): 5:31pm On Dec 10, 2013
ok..
P.s: chk my signature
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Businesstools(m): 5:33pm On Dec 10, 2013
A professionally-written CV is an indispensable tool for job seekers.
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Sike(m): 5:33pm On Dec 10, 2013
God Bless the OP. Like if you say Amen.

1 Like

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by J0nyb0y(m): 5:35pm On Dec 10, 2013
ok..
p.s: chk my signature
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Nedu31(m): 5:36pm On Dec 10, 2013
Good piece, no.4 sound pretty ok. I have wasted good 6 months without job.I WISH I KNOW!
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by ednut1(m): 5:36pm On Dec 10, 2013
wrong, all u nid is connection
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by RedCard1(m): 5:41pm On Dec 10, 2013
I agree with you on all the points made. Lets also add CONNECTION: For someone (esp Nigerian) to get a job easily, he/she has to be highly CONNECTED. FACT!

1 Like

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by obeenah40(m): 5:52pm On Dec 10, 2013
Connection and that's all cheesy
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by mekaboy(m): 5:53pm On Dec 10, 2013
If you have a job just thank GOD and forget all about this writeup.

Your unemployed, you dont have a business, what is ur business card for? you write ur name on the care and hand it to people to call u for fun?

when you have a recommendation letter from an influencial person whats he need of ur business card and facebook profile?

The only reasonanle think I see here is some experience.

1 Like

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by mspee(f): 5:56pm On Dec 10, 2013
ednut1: wrong, all u nid is connection

So true.
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Thebrightest(m): 6:04pm On Dec 10, 2013
gud
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Jarus(m): 6:07pm On Dec 10, 2013
Acidosis: 6. Recommendation letter wink

Advantage: when you have this, the other 5 aforementioned becomes practically useless.

Not so relevant. As a matter of fact, a friend with recommendation letter from no less personality than Alhaji Lateef Jakande (former governor of Lagos state) came to my then office and asked to see the CEO. Of course, she can also see the PA to the CEO. Her letter was received by the CEO. I doubt the letter wasn't dropped in the bin after she turned back, or at best filed with many other useless letters she receives on daily basis for the CEO, who is too busy striking deals to attend to petty matters like someone looking for job.

2 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by Jarus(m): 6:09pm On Dec 10, 2013
As for business cards, well, there is nothing wrong in being different, being a maverick, pulling some unique stunts, like the 'EMPLOYADAM.COM' guy, but I'm not sure Nigerian employers are moved by such.
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by DexxyAlebs(m): 6:19pm On Dec 10, 2013
na house d connection go come meet you! who has noticed dat u c diff names of companies you never believed existed on people's profile on fb, all just need do is google it, social media i so support it, but make d person no start to dey post rubbish o
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by chiefinalowo: 6:25pm On Dec 10, 2013
Acidosis: 6. Recommendation letter wink

Most relevant on the list. We just employed 13 Graduates all on recommendations.
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by chezholy(m): 6:39pm On Dec 10, 2013
Forget all those stuff, all you need in LIFE is CONNECTION, either from God or Man...
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by ceejayluv(m): 6:42pm On Dec 10, 2013
Red_Card: I agree with you on all the points made. Lets also add CONNECTION: For someone (esp Nigerian) to get a job easily, he/she has to be highly CONNECTED. FACT!
I guess that could be grouped under "effective contact list"

1 Like

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by osifred(m): 6:54pm On Dec 10, 2013
click to read How to get a job or possibly increase your chance of getting a job in Nigeria

https://www.nairaland.com/1329105/how-get-job-possibly-increase

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by eluquenson(m): 6:59pm On Dec 10, 2013
Very correct @Op, but most people only believe on referrals at the expense of their potentials, Job seekers need to know their potentials to the type of job they need cos it really goes a long way.
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by checkdate(m): 8:17pm On Dec 10, 2013
Thankxx
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by MRL1MPoPoTM: 8:59pm On Dec 10, 2013
Jarus:

Not so relevant. As a matter of fact, a friend with recommendation letter from no less personality than Alhaji Lateef Jakande (former governor of Lagos state) came to my then office and asked to see the CEO. Of course, she can also see the PA to the CEO. Her letter was received by the CEO. I doubt the letter wasn't dropped in the bin after she turned back, or at best filed with many other useless letters she receives on daily basis for the CEO, who is too busy striking deals to attend to petty matters like someone looking for job.
What is this dumbo saying?
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by entuk(m): 8:59pm On Dec 10, 2013
that volunteer thing really works yet many take it for granted
Re: Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job by alienware(m): 9:21pm On Dec 10, 2013
May God help us all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Comprehensive List Of Candidates Coming For Graduate Fair.(PORTHARCOURT) / Nigeria Plans To Expand N-power Programme To One Million People / I Got A Job Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.