Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,557 members, 7,847,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 03:14 PM

Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures (709 Views)

Nelson Mandela Memorial Service On 10th December 2013 / 91 Heads Of State To Attend Mandela's Memorial Service / Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures by NMotorwerks: 5:47pm On Dec 10, 2013
'THANK YOU FOR SHARING MADIBA': HIGHLIGHTS OF OBAMA'S HEARTFELT EULOGY FOR NELSON MANDELA (SOURCE: London Mail)
To the people of South Africa - people of every race and walk of life - the world thanks you for sharing Nelson Mandela with us. His struggle was your struggle. His triumph was your triumph.
Born during World War I, far from the corridors of power, a boy raised herding cattle and tutored by elders of his Thembu tribe - Madiba would emerge as the last great liberator of the 20th century.
He was not a bust made of marble; he was a man of flesh and blood - a son and husband, a father and a friend.
Mandela showed us the power of action; of taking risks on behalf of our ideals.
Mandela understood the ties that bind the human spirit. There is a word in South Africa - 'Ubuntu' - that describes his greatest gift: his recognition that we are all bound together in ways that can be invisible to the eye; that there is a oneness to humanity; that we achieve ourselves by sharing ourselves with others, and caring for those around us.
It took a man like Madiba to free not just the prisoner, but the gaoler as well; to show that you must trust others so that they may trust you; to teach that reconciliation is not a matter of ignoring a cruel past, but a means of confronting it with inclusion, generosity and truth. He changed laws, but also hearts.
There are too many of us who happily embrace Madiba’s legacy of racial reconciliation, but passionately resist even modest reforms that would challenge chronic poverty and growing inequality. There are too many leaders who claim solidarity with Madiba’s struggle for freedom, but do not tolerate dissent from their own people. And there are too many of us who stand on the sidelines, comfortable in complacency or cynicism when our voices must be heard.
We will never see the likes of Nelson Mandela again. But let me say to the young people of Africa, and young people around the world - you can make his life’s work your own.
Over thirty years ago, while still a student, I learned of Mandela and the struggles in this land. It stirred something in me. It woke me up to my responsibilities - to others, and to myself - and set me on an improbable journey that finds me here today. And while I will always fall short of Madiba’s example, he makes me want to be better.
Re: Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures by NMotorwerks: 5:48pm On Dec 10, 2013
here are the pictures!

Re: Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures by NMotorwerks: 5:49pm On Dec 10, 2013
More

Re: Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures by NMotorwerks: 5:51pm On Dec 10, 2013
Pix

Re: Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures by NMotorwerks: 5:54pm On Dec 10, 2013
More

Re: Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures by NMotorwerks: 6:06pm On Dec 10, 2013
Pictures

Re: Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures by NMotorwerks: 6:07pm On Dec 10, 2013
More Pix

Re: Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures by NMotorwerks: 6:14pm On Dec 10, 2013
More

(1) (Reply)

How The U.S. Military Lost Its Favor For Turkey- Soner Cagaptay / Pictures Of Obamas Visit To Saudi Arabia / The Man Mamon Gaddaffi.we Lost A Great Man To The West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.