Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,782 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? - Computers (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? (112293 Views)

Does It Really Matter If You Pull A USB Out Before It Safely Ejects? / Hotspot Shield - Will It Really Conceal Your Ip / Starcomms Modem Exchange Program.does It Really Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (86) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 02, 2008
As one of the first users of starcomms evdo. . . they have been gud sha. . . but the one problem they have is that you can't surf well outside the evdo locations in Lagos. . . If they really wanna enlarge their coasts, they should move nationwide and stop promising evdo to every subscriber in Lagos jare. . . The 1x is totally bullshit, Multilinks CDMA is still better than Starcomms 1x, but their Evdo is nice. . . Starcomms, Abeg try spread ya tentacles ehn. . . wink
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by Muza(m): 12:01pm On Dec 02, 2008
I'm still wondering how you guyz get this speed,i subscribed for the EVDO,i live in abuja but my download speed has never crossed 12kbps.
PLs guyz tell me how i can increase my speed or do i have to sue starccoms first.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by otoidea(m): 1:01pm On Dec 02, 2008
woohoo, my speed increased a lil 2day, at least i was able to hit 60kb/sec grin grin grin
hope it keeps increasing!
nd yea, i got a call frm sum chic at strcomms, she jst calld to ask if i was enjoying the service, how nice of them! lol
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by twinskenny(m): 1:14pm On Dec 02, 2008
who else is using ZOOM? i got the free Card and pay 5000 naira 11pm to 6am Connections,
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by ken10000(m): 2:25pm On Dec 02, 2008
otoidea:

woohoo, my speed increased a little 2day, at least i was able to hit 60kb/sec grin grin grin
hope it keeps increasing!
nd yea, i got a call frm sum chic at strcomms, she jst calld to ask if i was enjoying the service, how nice of them! lol

dont worry it'll keep increasing although highest i've gone today is 50kb/s

twinskenny:

who else is using ZOOM? i got the free Card and pay 5000 naira 11pm to 6am Connections,

what download and upload speed do u get from that ?

and anyone know mtn's average download and upload speed ?
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by eleven(m): 11:24am On Dec 03, 2008
Please can someone [img][/img]here help in solving this problem. Just hooked up on Izap yesterday and couldn't get izap display working properly cause of this error (see attachment).

The guys at starcomms tried to no avail so they created a dial up network alternative to access the web. Thou yet to be activated more than 20 hours later.

What is failing the modem initialization. Possible causes and remedy will be highly appreciated. Thanks. cry

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 5:36pm On Dec 03, 2008
Double N:

@lynxnoonok ok i have unistalled my internet download accelerator and i am using iDM. My Speed is not impressive and as otoidea rightly said is it because i am using the[b] USB[/b] stuff?
sorry hv not replied til now(trust ur good ol' NEPA angry grin)
wel i tink u shud try out d card 1st n see if dere's any diff, tho personally i tink it mite be d cause because d usb doesnt even hv most of d functions on d card like sms undecided undecided
or maybe som1 using d usb evdo shud share dere own tot on dis

eleven:

Please can someone [img][/img]here help in solving this problem. Just hooked up on Izap yesterday and couldn't get izap display working properly cause of this error (see attachment).

The guys at starcomms tried to no avail so they created a dial up network alternative to access the web. Thou yet to be activated more than 20 hours later.

What is failing the modem initialization. Possible causes and remedy will be highly appreciated. Thanks. cry
Initialization usually ocurs wen d software is trying identify n "boot" d modem
so if its failiing dat mins:
----- d modem is not wel connected
or
----- d port allocated for it is not used
or
----- u shutdown witout disconnecting first
etc
wel go tru d options n restart u system if dat doesnt wok reinstall d software (dat is if u know ur way around it oh! lipsrsealed) or just tk it bak to dia office 4 dem to clarify it for u (i can see u r using vista so lets not complicate tins because dis vista sef lipsrsealed)
Anyways tk kia n i hope dis helps
cheers
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by DoubleN(m): 1:42am On Dec 04, 2008
I'll look for someone with the express card stuff and test it or better yet go their Office and have a shouting match.I Still have the feeling that the bandwidth on my Modem is Rate Limited!
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by eleven(m): 10:30am On Dec 04, 2008
Initialization usually ocurs when d software is trying identify n "boot" d modem
so if its failiing that mins:
or
or
etc
wel go tru d options n restart u system if that doesnt wok reinstall d software (that is if u know ur way around it oh! lipsrsealed) or just tk it bak to dia office 4 them to clarify it for u (i can see u r using vista so lets not complicate tins because this vista sef lipsrsealed)
Anyways tk kia n i hope this helps
cheers

[quote][/quote]

Thanks my man, I have tried un-installing and reinstalling, still the problem persist. I suspect the port thing but my problem is how to locate the allocated port.

On the modem i see port 12 and can change the port number provided i can find the right port number allocated it. The guys at starcomms here couldn't fix it but i know Nairaland will and that is why i accepted it.

My connection has been activated yesterday through the dial up link but i want to fully maximize the izap function for calls, sms etc. The speed here in Aba is fair for a CDMA 1X town.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by ken10000(m): 12:18pm On Dec 04, 2008
eleven:

Initialization usually ocurs when d software is trying identify n "boot" d modem
so if its failiing that mins:
or
or
etc
wel go tru d options n restart u system if that doesnt wok reinstall d software (that is if u know ur way around it oh! lipsrsealed) or just tk it bak to dia office 4 them to clarify it for u (i can see u r using vista so lets not complicate tins because this vista sef lipsrsealed)
Anyways tk kia n i hope this helps
cheers

Thanks my man, I have tried un-installing and reinstalling, still the problem persist. I suspect the port thing but my problem is how to locate the allocated port.

On the modem i see port 12 and can change the port number provided i can find the right port number allocated it. The guys at starcomms here couldn't fix it but i know Nairaland will and that is why i accepted it.

My connection has been activated yesterday through the dial up link but i want to fully maximize the izap function for calls, sms etc. The speed here in Aba is fair for a CDMA 1X town.

wait are u in evdo coverge
and how long did it take before they activated it
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by eleven(m): 1:57pm On Dec 04, 2008
ken10000:

wait are u in evdo coverge
and how long did it take before they activated it

Nope Aba is a 1x coverage town. It took less than 24 hours to activate me.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by ken10000(m): 2:28pm On Dec 04, 2008
whats ur average download speed with 1x
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 4:05pm On Dec 04, 2008
Double N:

I'll look for someone with the express card stuff and test it or better yet go their Office and have a shouting match.I Still have the feeling that the bandwidth on my Modem is Rate Limited!
y dont google d exact modem model name n number n chek d specs on d company's site to see if its rate limited or not?
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyuche(m): 12:51pm On Dec 05, 2008
i was trying to download a free antivirius. didn't beliveve the transfer rate i saw. i had to disconnect , reconnect and try again to sure it wasn't a burst.

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 05, 2008
I stay on the mainland Gbagada/ifako area side.is the izap coverage good there cuz i plan on getting one,when i come.am asking for advice cuz i can shout at customer service very well.with 1x how days do you think a 700mb file might take.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyuche(m): 3:44pm On Dec 05, 2008
here's 1x transfer rate.

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 4:21pm On Dec 05, 2008
To all u haters of starcom izap i hope this wil convince u a little tongue tongue
flyuche u don join d club of dose enjoying izap oh!! grin grin
dose ur rates r wow-------- but com oh y r most of ur downloads failing? y not use a good download manager like IDM or DAP?
Also i just noticed somtin, i think most of d people(e.g u, dualcore n hayprof)  hitting d 1MBpoint r using d aircard n not d new cards bin issued now
don't know oh but what do u guys think? undecided undecided
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyuche(m): 5:03pm On Dec 05, 2008
lynxnoon:

-------- but com oh y r most of ur downloads failing? y not use a good download manager like IDM or DAP?

i intentionally used the direct link. network disconnection caused the failure.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 7:10pm On Dec 05, 2008
ok
wil wil try direct link also n see wt i'll get
cheers
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by ken10000(m): 7:55pm On Dec 05, 2008
holy sh, shocked never passed 150kb/s before but u got 1mb/s
do u know someone at starcomms office ? wink
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 11:54pm On Dec 05, 2008
guys i discovered somtin
i tink downloads rates r faster if u connect wit ur PC tru NETWORK CONNECTIONS instead of using d Izap card software(SleekAccess)
Tho d connection speed is @ 230Kbps but multiple downloads cud add up to above 100KB/s
chek out d link below:

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 12:02am On Dec 06, 2008
working on a way to get extra hours(free ofcourse grin) on izap
--------i.e for dose using 100hrs or 250hrs lipsrsealed grin
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by DoubleN(m): 7:37am On Dec 06, 2008
@lynxnoon
guys i discovered somtin
i think downloads rates r faster if u connect wit ur PC tru NETWORK CONNECTIONS instead of using d Izap card software(SleekAccess)
Tho d connection speed is @ 230Kbps but multiple downloads cud add up to above 100KB/s
Iv tried it,its not workin for me. I think the other modems i.e Aircard and the izap sleek are faster than this USB stuff that i am using. I mean how else can i explain why i just can't cross 50kbps!No matter the time of the day.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by ken10000(m): 9:44am On Dec 06, 2008
Double N:

@lynxnoon
Iv tried it,its not workin for me. I think the other modems i.e Aircard and the izap sleek are faster than this USB stuff that i am using. I mean how else can i explain why i just can't cross 50kbps!No matter the time of the day.

well i'll be getting the usb stuff soon so i'll check it and confirm if thats the problem
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 9:49am On Dec 06, 2008
yeah
i tink d usb is rate-limited
dunno sha undecided undecided
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 9:53am On Dec 06, 2008
hw far ken?
hv u tried d network connection stuff?
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by ken10000(m): 11:30am On Dec 06, 2008
You mean to connect through my pc's NETWORK CONNECTIONS
yeah but it didnt make any difference
but i did change my speed from 115 to 230.5kbps
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by bily(m): 2:18pm On Dec 06, 2008
i must confess im impressed with some of the results u guyz are getting, but obviously the result is not uniform. i guess it all boils down to what we need the internet for.

as for me, if i clock 1mb/s good, but if i dont, no sweat as long as its reasonable fast.

so for all u izap users out there, my major concern is the consistency cos im into online trading. so my question is:

how often does izap disconnect?
if it does disconnect, does it get connected back immediately n u dont even miss it?
how often do they have technical issues.

pls i need ya response, cos i have used visafone evdo, dopc unwired, multilinks 1x, mtn 3g n the consistency i need is not there

mtn is d fastest i have used though but i hate d 3gig limit n d fact dat u cant predict when it will work, visafone is ok but usually on n off especially when nitel sat3 cable is having problems, dopc on and off frequently too.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyuche(m): 2:29pm On Dec 06, 2008
@bily. for your purpose MTN, starcomms are good. MTN is consistent and offers better and reliable connection speed thru out the day.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by hayprof(m): 4:59pm On Dec 06, 2008
Guys are displaying impressive speeds Now-a-days. .

@1MB/s, Do u use The[b] EVDO data card[/b] like mine? or the iZap Express card ?

-talk! wink
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyuche(m): 5:17pm On Dec 06, 2008
like yours, @hayprof.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by ken10000(m): 8:04pm On Dec 06, 2008
hayprof:

Guys are displaying impressive speeds Now-a-days. .

@1MB/s, Do u use The[b] EVDO data card[/b] like mine? or the iZap Express card ?

-talk! wink

aren't they the same thing ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (86) (Reply)

Strictly Internet Speed Screen Shots / How To Change IP To Any Country IP Without Using Software / modify12Am 16/07/10 free Us Proxy And Other,first Come First Serve.go Get Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.