Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,206 members, 7,846,002 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? - Computers (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? (112471 Views)

Does It Really Matter If You Pull A USB Out Before It Safely Ejects? / Hotspot Shield - Will It Really Conceal Your Ip / Starcomms Modem Exchange Program.does It Really Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (86) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by hayprof(m): 9:31pm On Mar 15, 2009
So, the Genie thing is a New Crap frm Starcomms ? angry
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by livingcove: 3:46pm On Mar 16, 2009
Can someone please tell me what the cost of the whole starcomms Izap connection is?

Does it reach download speeds of 500KB as mentioned by starcomms?

How much is the monthly subscription for a 24hr connection?

Thanks Much For Help!
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 6:47pm On Mar 16, 2009
livingcove:

Can someone please tell me what the cost of the whole starcomms Izap connection is?

Does it reach download speeds of 500KB as mentioned by starcomms?

How much is the monthly subscription for a 24hr connection?

Thanks Much For Help!
go to www.starcomms.com or read d whole of dis thread cheesy
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 6:56pm On Mar 16, 2009
guys dis new sierra express card is cool oh, chk d speeds i was geting wen my frnd brot his lappy to my crib,,,,,,,,,,,imagin n both of us were geting full evdo bars oh shocked but my speed didnt exceed above 300KB/s angry cry

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 6:59pm On Mar 16, 2009
anoda 1:

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by obinna5000(m): 7:14pm On Mar 16, 2009
@lynxnoon
How u dey?
What u r seeing is not download speed. Rx is the amount of data received and the Tx is the amount of data transmitted.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by EPOMA(m): 9:56pm On Mar 16, 2009
@lynxnoon
That is the total amount of recieve and upload data. Please what town are you anyway
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 11:04pm On Mar 16, 2009
i know wat Rx n Tx mins wink i was comparing it wit my Epivalley express card n nomally wen u r getting rates like dat d download speed is always high,,,,,,,,,,i wanst able to chk wit a download manager because d guy doesnt hv 1 on his lappy wink cool
By d way i stay at Oshodi( around charity B/stp) smiley
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by samir101ng(m): 12:43am On Mar 17, 2009
baba lynx, take am eazy with d directions. Some bad belle people wey dey eye ur starcomms izap fit jam u for corner carrry ur card comot grin grin
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by EPOMA(m): 1:08am On Mar 17, 2009
@lynxnoon
I can now see how you are measuring the speed. with the screen picture that you posted , I do believe there is a presence of REV A in that area as it is showing on the connection screen under the EV DO, so i believe the speed will be as a result of the rev a. I use the same modem and when am in Abuja , that is only when I get the A logo come on under the EV DO signal and the speed is always faster.In port Harcourt, I don't get the A Logo
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 5:19pm On Mar 17, 2009
samir101ng:

baba lynx, take am eazy with d directions. Some bad belle people wey dey eye ur starcomms izap fit jam u for corner carrry ur card comot grin grin
for where!! if guys know exactly where i stay dem no go even dream of approaching me talk less of cornering me grin grin
Anyhw hw u dey my guy (yaya aiki da jiki?)

EPOMA:

@lynxnoon
I can now see how you are measuring the speed. with the screen picture that you posted , I do believe there is a presence of REV A in that area as it is showing on the connection screen under the EV DO, so i believe the speed will be as a result of the rev a. I use the same modem and when am in Abuja , that is only when I get the A logo come on under the EV DO signal and the speed is always faster.In port Harcourt, I don't get the A Logo
wel maybe true but hw come starcoms saying dere's REV A only in abuja for now? undecided
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by EPOMA(m): 10:37pm On Mar 17, 2009
@Lyxn
I don't really thing that these companies worry about keeping their customers or even their customer care informed properly. One of starcomms staff was trying to sell me my sierra express card , all she was saying was that it is a Rev A and i then ask her what Rev A was and she said she did not know, so I now ask her why she was trying to sell me a product that she didn't know much about. Starcomms sells the Express card 15k just because it is rev A but they fail to know that we know that there is no Rev 0 product line anymore.
Another thing that amazes me is the USB modem Prices, this are modems that should not or don't even cost as much as the cards but because this telecoms companies in Nigeria knows that if you have a desktop, you don't have an option than a USB, so the put the prices at 25k and that is why I would never buy a usb Modem, I believe Starcomms don't buy those usb more than 4k each.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by hayprof(m): 8:00am On Mar 18, 2009
I always wish to get the USB modem because it will work with ALMOST ALL Platform of PC.

But the prices placed on them are outrageous! Imagine, there was this time the USB modem prices Range from #35k+ to #40+k wat " ?

Some of this modem are like 1995 model, Google it yourself to find out that the so called SierraWireless Card we use In Nigeria here are No Longer Supported [Past tense / Old loot / dumped tech ] that what we pay to embrace.

I am 99.9% sure that our ISP acquire this modems frm the developed country @ no-cost if not for free*

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guys, whats your take on this ? undecided
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by livingcove: 10:08am On Mar 18, 2009
They are only after what they can get. Starcomms doesn't care about you or your business!!! But here's a warning to everyone who uses starcomms dial-up internet connection, Don't ever, ever ever think of subscribing to this service. You'll either end up punching your monitor or flinging it out of the room. It has lowest speeds of b/w 0 and 4kb/s. And when it's at 0, you'll keep on refreshing for more than 1hr before any webpage opens up. Don't even open yahoo. Don't even download ordinary 1Mb file, unless you want to have access to it the following month.

I'm about to change over to another network. And i'm enjoying the conversation taking place here. There was this guy that created a thread about "an international sim card that works like mtn fast links and accesses all sites and you can use your modem or nokai gprs enable phone as a modem". I can't seem to find the link to the thread.

Or do you guys recommend Starcomms Izap? Sh'ld i upgrade? I visited their site (www.starcomms.com) for more details about this the subscription plan but it couldn't open even after 1hr, so i just closed the page. What are their charges? I use a PC desktop.

thanks for your help, all.

"Free 89-Page Report Reveals How To Make Money With CPA Offers!"

Click here for more >>>
http:///dkq4ay
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by obinna5000(m): 10:16am On Mar 18, 2009
@livingcove
Starcomms iZap subscription plans
24 Hrs - N15,950 for 30 days
9am - 9pm - N7,000 for 30 days
9pm - 9am - N5,000 for 30 days
250 Hours - N15,000 for 90 days undecided
100 Hours - N6500 for 30 days
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by livingcove: 10:37am On Mar 18, 2009
Thanks much Obinna, but what about the set-up fee?
I use a PC desktop and not a laptop like most of you guys.

Would i have to get a USB modem or Sierra Data Card or,

Click here for more >>>
http:///dkq4ay
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by obinna5000(m): 11:05am On Mar 18, 2009
@livingcove
Since you are using a PC desktop, u have to go for the USB modem devices.
Or if by luck your system has an Express card slot or PCMCIA slot, u can go for the data card devices.

The device available for now is the Genie. It uses USB and goes for N27000 with 50 hours free for 10 days.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by EPOMA(m): 11:28am On Mar 18, 2009
@livingcove
Try and go for a slot and then use the card , with that you have an option of buying an external antenna. I use an amplifier with my card sometimes and this draws signals up to 80 Kilometer from any starcomms base station. use this in my car when am travelling . This guys are just after our money but I still prefer Starcomms though.With the Rev A in Abuja ,I enjoy youtube at all time.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by livingcove: 5:05pm On Mar 18, 2009
Epoma,, a slot. What do you mean by that? Are you saying to drill a hole into my CPU? How will i go about that?

External antenna and amplifier with your card. Are they the same thing. How much are they? Will i get it at the starcomms office also?

And Rev A , and I've heard Rev O here in this forum too, what do they stand for?

Much appreciation goes to you guys for your help,

Cheers.

Click here for more >>>
[url=http:///dkq4ay ]http:///dkq4ay   [/url]
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by obinna5000(m): 9:29pm On Mar 18, 2009
@livingcove
He is trying to say that you should buy an Express card slot or PCMCIA card slot in the market and attach to your desktop.
But the type to buy depends on which of the data card devices either iZap Sleek Express Card, Sierra Wireless AC 597, or the Sierra Wireless 580 MDC.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyuche(m): 10:05pm On Mar 18, 2009
starcomms service is crappy these days.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 11:22pm On Mar 18, 2009
men i tire oh!! angry sad
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by DoubleN(m): 11:25pm On Mar 18, 2009
Una own better at least u got some incredible speeds once in a while.The thing is just annoying!
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 12:20am On Mar 19, 2009
but am stil enjoying late nights n early mornins as per speeds sha wink grin
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by DoubleN(m): 8:00am On Mar 19, 2009
I dey Jealous you o! This my own na wa, i guess it is my neighborhood.Funny enough i am in Surulere and it is supposed to be covered yet all i get is 40KBPS max.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 3:38pm On Mar 20, 2009
cruising wit mtn freebie wink grin
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 20, 2009
obinna5000:

@livingcove
Starcomms iZap subscription plans
24 Hrs - N15,950 for 30 days
9am - 9pm - N7,000 for 30 days
9pm - 9am - N5,000 for 30 days
250 Hours - N15,000 for 90 days undecided
100 Hours - N6500 for 30 days

the truly weird and aggravating thing is that it is cheaper to pay for 9am-9pm and 9pm to 9am (total 12000) than to pay for straight 24 hours. what kind of bizarre maths is that? angry
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 5:52pm On Mar 20, 2009
oyb:

the truly weird and aggravating thing is that it is cheaper to pay for 9am-9pm and 9pm to 9am (total 12000) than to pay for straight 24 hours. what kind of bizarre maths is that?  angry
but d tin is wil starcom allow a custmer to use two suscriptions on the same user accont(or can dia programers even configure dat? grin)
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 20, 2009
depending on the actual cost of a modem, it may be more cost effective n the long run to buy two modems and use one for 9am to 9pm, and the other for 9pm to 9am . i was actually thinking about that. . .
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyuche(m): 10:46pm On Mar 20, 2009
I always wish to get the USB modem because it will work with ALMOST ALL Platform of PC.

But the prices placed on them are outrageous! Imagine, there was this time the USB modem prices Range from #35k+ to #40+k wat " ?

Some of this modem are like 1995 model, Google it yourself to find out that the so called SierraWireless Card we use In Nigeria here are No Longer Supported [Past tense / Old loot / dumped tech ] that what we pay to embrace.

I am 99.9% sure that our ISP acquire this modems frm the developed country @ no-cost if not for free*
@hayprof. you have a point.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by nazzyon(m): 11:04pm On Mar 21, 2009
oyb:

the truly weird and aggravating thing is that it is cheaper to pay for 9am-9pm and 9pm to 9am (total 12000) than to pay for straight 24 hours. what kind of bizarre maths is that? angry

They know that from 9am - 9pm Business plan most people would need it for business transaction.

But Night Surfing 9pm - 9am, few people are interested in night browsing. So it explains why both the Business & Night Surfing are cheaper than the regular 24hours charge.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by hayprof(m): 11:40pm On Mar 21, 2009
oyb:

Its the usual Maths, it cuts across the various ISP's we got in Nigeria.

Either way I prefer my EVDo in a Corporate plan that equals the Night nd Day time surfing! wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (86) (Reply)

Strictly Internet Speed Screen Shots / How To Change IP To Any Country IP Without Using Software / modify12Am 16/07/10 free Us Proxy And Other,first Come First Serve.go Get Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.