Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,395 members, 7,846,657 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? - Computers (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? (112473 Views)

Does It Really Matter If You Pull A USB Out Before It Safely Ejects? / Hotspot Shield - Will It Really Conceal Your Ip / Starcomms Modem Exchange Program.does It Really Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (86) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 12:06am On May 18, 2009
@hayprof
hmmmm dont tel me u r just dwnlding PB S4E16? wn d E20 is out? lipsrsealed wink

my scrnshts for last nite

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 12:13am On May 18, 2009
2nite is kinda slow jare(ystdy i droped almost 2Gig by mornin undecided)
now

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyuche(m): 12:38am On May 18, 2009
lynxnoon:

now

not for me. check out my transfer rate.

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by bily(m): 12:21pm On May 18, 2009
lynxnoon:

now

lynxnoon, pls can i get d link to ya bandwidth monitor without d 30day expiration?

thanks in advance
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 6:42pm On May 18, 2009
@bily
Deres a page smwhere on dis thread where hayprof gave a link
Chk & c if its stil dere or if u cn wait 4 me 2 upload it ltr no probs
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 6:58pm On May 18, 2009
@flyuche
Wat app r u using 2 reduce d size of ur scrnshts( she u r using mint abi?)
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyuche(m): 9:18pm On May 18, 2009
@lynx. GIMP
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 9:35pm On May 18, 2009
@flyche. GIMP!! wat settings did u use?
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by aieromon(m): 9:46pm On May 18, 2009
is this ok?

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 10:38pm On May 18, 2009
@earomon, my guy hw u dey? long tym I gess u r enjoyin ur XM well well abi? wink smiley
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by hayprof(m): 6:44am On May 19, 2009
Wats up guys, where r the nite crawlers, bandwidth suckers. .etc '

Just stopping-by to say 'HI' . .
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyuche(m): 8:10am On May 19, 2009
lynxnoon:

@flyche. GIMP!! wat settings did u use?
it's not really resizing, i just reduce the resolution with GIMP. i save my screenshots to desktop.
Right click the saved file, and click open with GIMP image editor. click the file tab and select save as. from here you can choose the file extension type you want e.g JPEG , PNG, GIF etc. a dialogue box will open, choose export. another save as dialogue box will open, here check the box that says show preview in image window, now drag the cursor on the box to select the image quality. then click save when done.
if you don't get it i will post graphics.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 8:36am On May 19, 2009
@flyuche
yeah tnx i got it(slowly slipping away frm windows wink)
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by livingcove: 4:39pm On May 19, 2009
Hello Guys,

I don't have a laptop yet and I'm using a desktop and based in Somolu, Lagos. I'm thinking of switching over to Izap Broadband. I know if I go to their office at Surulere, they may not tell me the truth. But what I really want to know is, if I get the starcomms evdo 3g seira datacard, and I configure it with my PC (with the help of my engineer) will I be able to get the same internet download speeds you guys are getting?

I'd also like to know if there's anyone in the house who wants to sell his starcomms evdo 3g seira datacard, to please call this no. 08056456403 so we can meet and shed some light on how to connect the datacard to my PC and other stuff.

If you're not a honest and straightforward person, please do not bother call.

Cheers All,
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by aieromon(m): 8:24pm On May 19, 2009
lynxnoon:

@earomon, my guy hw u dey? long tym I gess u r enjoyin ur XM well well abi? wink smiley

yeah!enjoying it till 5900xm comes out cool
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by init4dmoni(m): 9:14pm On May 19, 2009
i have run mad shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
i borrowed a friends mtn modem and see one of his speed tests
i didn't even know dis was possible
believe me wen i say dis is real cry cry cry
wat am i doing wit starcomms
i am shocked beyond compare (i am still shouting at the top of my voice)

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by init4dmoni(m): 9:32pm On May 19, 2009
i'm not going to sleep dis night( i really mean dat) wink
if somebody in this country can get dat kind of speed at 12am only!
wat den can i get by 3 grin
btw. did you notice dat the guy has taken more than 2500 tests
remember that we're seeing 8Mbps=1MB/s dats 1GB in about 17mins (correct me if i'm wrong)
its the E170 modem (beautifu"ll" cant wait till it's past 12am mehn!!)
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by lynxnoon(m): 9:35pm On May 19, 2009
init4dmoni:

i have run mad shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
i borrowed a friends mtn modem and see one of his speed tests
i didn't even know dis was possible
believe me wen i say dis is real  cry cry cry
wat am i doing wit starcomms
i am shocked beyond compare (i am still shouting at the top of my voice)

no be MTN?? even if u get 800MB/s afta 3Gig data limit ur speed wil be useless angry grin beta stik to starcomms undecided
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by init4dmoni(m): 9:44pm On May 19, 2009
ur missing the point at hand
i still can't believe dat i'm seeing
i taught i heard the maximum is 7.5mbps
and now i'm seeing 8.0mbps
b4 dis the highest i had seen was 2.4mbps

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by livingcove: 7:21am On May 20, 2009
HayProf,  init4dmoni, lynxnoon, aieromon and all the crew in the house, please don't leave me hanging now. I'm desperately in need of your professional help regarding this matter[quote author=livingcove link=topic=155069.msg3890623#msg3890623 date=1242747580][/quote]
Hello Guys,

I don't have a laptop yet and I'm using a desktop and based in Somolu, Lagos. I'm thinking of switching over to Izap Broadband. I know if I go to their office at Surulere, they may not tell me the truth. But what I really want to know is, if I get the starcomms evdo 3g seira datacard, and I configure it with my PC (with the help of my engineer) will I be able to get the same internet download speeds you guys are getting?

I'd also like to know if there's anyone in the house who wants to sell his starcomms evdo 3g seira datacard, to please call this no. 08056456403 so we can meet and shed some light on how to connect the datacard to my PC and other stuff.

Cheers All,
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by bily(m): 9:45am On May 20, 2009
livingcove:

HayProf,  init4dmoni, lynxnoon, aieromon and all the crew in the house, please don't leave me hanging now. I'm desperately in need of your professional help regarding this matter
livingcove link=topic=155069.msg3890623#msg3890623 date=1242747580:

Hello Guys,

Cheers All,

why not just take the easy way out and buy the izap usb device, im sure your pc shld have a usb port

otherwise you will need to look for a pccard to usb adapter and im not sure how readily available that is here, so even if u can get the adapter i doubt it will be cheap. hope this helps u
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by honeric01(m): 10:48am On May 20, 2009
Guys, can i replace starcomms 580 datacard with zain or mtn's datacard

is it advisable and how good is these 2 cards??
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by bily(m): 11:00am On May 20, 2009
honeric01:

Guys, can i replace starcomms 580 datacard with zain or mtn's datacard

is it advisable and how good is these 2 cards??

mayb the right question is which is best connection for you amongst the 3 networks? but unfortunately, currently there is no right or wrong answer. d answer may not b in black n white

but first things first,
for starcomms make sure u have evdo signal in your area, for mtn and zain, make sure u have 3g signal in your area
mtn has download limits so if u are a heavy internet user, it may not suit u. i dont knw if zain has download limits but starcomms has no download limits which is the major attraction for most of us

wat u may do is buy starcomms evdo n wen starcomm decides to fumble n u really need to use the internet, u can use your phone with mtn sim to pay to browse for a day provided u have 3g signal in your area.

hope this helps
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by init4dmoni(m): 12:28pm On May 20, 2009
this is wit mtn at 12:30 in the afternoon
http://www.speedtest.net/result/477645954.png
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by livingcove: 6:49pm On May 20, 2009
Bily,

Thanks so much for your advice. Greatly appreciated!
That's what I'm doing just now. I'm at starcomms website
and I came across two USB modems called;

1. Starcomms iZAP USB Ovation MC 727 and
2. Epivalley iZAP REV A 7089 USB MODEM

Which between these two do you guys think I sh'ld go for?
I've heard you guys mention several times about Rev A. Does
that have anything to do with the internet download speed?

Becos as you can see above the Epivalley Modem has Rev A written
in the middle, so does that mean it's better or,

So what do you guys think More suggestions welcome, please.

Cheers.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by bily(m): 7:54pm On May 20, 2009
livingcove:

Bily,

Thanks so much for your advice. Greatly appreciated!
That's what I'm doing just now. I'm at starcomms website
and I came across two USB modems called;

1. Starcomms iZAP USB Ovation MC 727 and
2. Epivalley iZAP REV A 7089 USB MODEM

Which between these two do you guys think I sh'ld go for?
I've heard you guys mention several times about Rev A. Does
that have anything to do with the internet download speed?

Becos as you can see above the Epivalley Modem has Rev A written
in the middle, so does that mean it's better or,

So what do you guys think More suggestions welcome, please.

Cheers.

if they have the ovation go for it, i think its manufactured by novatel so it should definately b betta dan d 'chinco' pple epivalley, just like d sierra cards are beta dan d epivalley cards

they all support revision a
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by init4dmoni(m): 8:33pm On May 20, 2009
dey both support rev a
if ur going for the usb modem the ovation is the better choice
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by blackweaver(m): 9:19pm On May 20, 2009
one thing i should say about speedtest; i don't know exactly how they
conduct their test but i'm sure the speed you see isn't always the speed
you get when downloading; i've had instances where i'm downloading
at some particular speed but when i run speed test i see a download speed
up to 2 or 3 times what i'm downloading with; even though i may be
using a download manager
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by ogagusps3: 10:10pm On May 20, 2009
So what would you guyz say is your average speed
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by ogagusps3: 10:11pm On May 20, 2009
So what would you guyz say is your average speed
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by init4dmoni(m): 10:23pm On May 20, 2009
dude ur right cuz there's no way someone can get 8mbps on a network who's maximum is 7.2mbps(dat was with mtn)
though it has to be preety high to fluke up to 8 maybe it was 6 or 7mbps  (remember i'm the one dat posted dat speed)
i've seen it show 540kbps wen the starcomms icon showed a peak o 500kps so i think there's always an error which gets bigger as the speed increases
but, mehn this guy(the guy i borrowed the mtn modem from) has taken a lot of speed tests
jst take look at page one(all of them r 2mbps+)
i've downloaded well over 1gig since yesterday(i don't know how i'll break it to my friend)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (86) (Reply)

Strictly Internet Speed Screen Shots / How To Change IP To Any Country IP Without Using Software / modify12Am 16/07/10 free Us Proxy And Other,first Come First Serve.go Get Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.