Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,385 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors (4259 Views)

Why Are There So Many Scandals Involving Christian Televangelists? / 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery / Recent Pentecostal Scandals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:26am On Dec 11, 2013
Before you tell me that pastors are humans and can sin.. I have one question for you,if the men who claim to have the special anointing from god can do these things,what is the benefit of serving god? Does being a christian make one moral?

The christian said that once a man is in christ old things are passed away all things are new,why then do these pastors act like gangsters? Doesn't it show that god,religion and Christianity is a money making scheme?

1. JIM BAKKER: Jimmy Bakker and his wife Tammy Faye,
led an evangelistic empire called PTL, or Prasie The Lord,
headquatered in their own theme park in Fort Mill, South
CArolina, near Charlotte, North Carolina. Revelations that
Jimmy Bakker had paid former secretary Jessica Hahn to keep
quiet about a sexual encounter raised questions about his
finances in the 1980s. In 1989, he was sentenced to 45 years
in prison for stealing $158 million from his flock.

2. JIMMY SWAGGART: The famous TV preacher was
caught with a prostitute in a motel in 1988, but his tearful
televised confession kept his $12-million-a-year 10,000
employee, religious empire going until he was linked to
another prostitute in 1991. Lawsuits and an Internal Revenue
Service lien put an end to Jimmy Swaggarts media reign.

3.JUANITA BYNUM and BISHOP THOMAS WEEKS, III:
A ppowerful preacher,beautiful with a melodious voice. She taught people how to let go of their horrible sexual history in the message 'NO MORE SHEETS'.

In another CD she released 'LORD TEACH ME HOW TO LOVE' she claimed Bishop Weeks was her Boaz. Well long story short marriage encountered abuse allegation and subsequently a divorce

4 EDDIE LONG: In a 2010
lawsuit, four male, former
congregants of Bishop Eddie
Long’s Atlanta-area’s
megachurch, accused the pastor of
using his position and expensive
gifts, to coerce them into having
sex with them while they were
teenagers. Long denied the
accusations and settled with the
young

PASTOR BIODUN and ESE WALTER: Let's not forget our own Ese Walter still waiting for the robust reply from COZA senior pastor Bidoun Fatoyinbo.

Before you part with your money to these men,ask yourself the moral justification they have to tell you how to live your life!

If you need more scandals let me know,I'll gladly provide more

1 Like

Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by Enigma(m): 11:29am On Dec 11, 2013
The question of whether being a Christian makes one moral should really be neither here nor there for a person who is or believes himself to be an atheist. It may be that it arises as a result of introspection or subliminal doubt about the atheist position.

Now as to scandalous "pastors": I will pose the following questions and I do not even necessarily demand that they be answered on this thread or forum; I simply ask that they be pondered --- with an open mind, with an honest mind.

1. Are there any faithful "pastors" and or even Christians out there? ('faithful' meaning committed and trying to follow/practice the faith even if the person stumbles or makes mistakes)

2. Have there been any faithful "pastors" or even Christians in world history?

3. Are there "pastors" or even any Christians who have been transformed from a debased life into a faithful life as a result of becoming Christians?

4. In world history, have there been "pastors" or even any Christians who have been transformed from a debased life into a faithful life as a result of becoming Christians?

5. Globally, of all who are "pastors" and of all who are Christians, what is the proportion that falls into these "scandals" compared to the proportion that does not?

Finally, I maintain that as a matter of polemics, a Christian does not have any obligation to prove to an atheist or to a person who believes himself to be an atheist that Christianity makes one moral.

smiley
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:09pm On Dec 11, 2013
There are numerous faithful christians,my mum is an example.

There are also faithful pastors.

There also atheists that have lived their lives without defrauding people or abusing public trust. I see no difference between a life with christ and a life without christ,
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 11, 2013
GeneralShepherd: There are numerous faithful christians,my mum is an example.

There also atheists that have lived their lives without defrauding people or abusing public trust. I see no difference between a life with christ and a life without christ,

Are you strugging with your conscience?
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by sylve11: 5:38pm On Dec 11, 2013
striktlymi:

hmmmm. cool
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by POPEII: 6:21pm On Dec 11, 2013
What is a pastor?

Anyway the people you listed ain't men of god ooo they are CEO of business ventures they call churches
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:51pm On Dec 11, 2013
striktlymi:

No I'm not,why do you think I might be?
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 11, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

No I'm not,why do you think I might be?

A series of events...

I suspect you are truly struggling with yourself.

Just a hunch!
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:12pm On Dec 11, 2013
striktlymi:

A series of events...

I suspect you are truly struggling with yourself.

Just a hunch!

Lol no bro I'm good,thanks for the concern!
Sup you hardly comment these days,busy much with work?
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by Nobody: 8:31pm On Dec 11, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Lol no bro I'm good,thanks for the concern!

Okay, cool!

GeneralShepherd:
Sup you hardly comment these days,busy much with work?

Yeah, work has been a biatch...

Trying to see how I can manage my time a bit better. Anyways, I will be off work from next week and will have ample time to share my views here as I see them.
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by Asabeq(f): 9:28pm On Dec 16, 2013
grin grin grin
POPE II: What is a pastor?

Anyway the people you listed ain't men of god ooo they are CEO of business ventures they call churches

1 Like

Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by bestads(m): 10:32pm On Dec 16, 2013
why dont you start your own churpany(church-company) and see how easy to make money from tithes

1 Like

Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by MrAnony1(m): 9:51am On Jun 29, 2014
GeneralShepherd: There are numerous faithful christians,my mum is an example.

The statement in bold contradicts the main point of the thread because if it is true, it would mean that you see no difference between your mum and the unfaithful pastors in the OP.
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 29, 2014
Mr_Anony:
The statement in bold contradicts the main point of the thread because if it is true, it would mean that you see no difference between your mum and the unfaithful pastors in the OP.

undecided
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 29, 2014
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by Weah96: 2:27pm On Jun 29, 2014
Mr_Anony:

Are you implying that his mum is sinless or that the sins of the pastors are greater than ordinary sins like your own?
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by MrAnony1(m): 10:26am On Jul 20, 2014
Weah96:

Are you implying that his mum is sinless or that the sins of the pastors are greater than ordinary sins like your own?
Neither. What I am pointing out to him is that it is contradictory to differentiate between his mum and fake preachers based on their life in Christ only to turn around and claim that there is no difference based on the very same Christlike life which he had just used as the basis for the earlier differentiation.
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by JaaizTech: 12:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
This one na a tip of the iceberg. In fact Nigerian Pastors will make some of these listed pastors look like Angels.

GeneralShepherd: Before you tell me that pastors are humans and can sin.. I have one question for you,if the men who claim to have the special anointing from god can do these things,what is the benefit of serving god? Does being a christian make one moral?

The christian said that once a man is in christ old things are passed away all things are new,why then do these pastors act like gangsters? Doesn't it show that god,religion and Christianity is a money making scheme?

1. JIM BAKKER: Jimmy Bakker and his wife Tammy Faye,
led an evangelistic empire called PTL, or Prasie The Lord,
headquatered in their own theme park in Fort Mill, South
CArolina, near Charlotte, North Carolina. Revelations that
Jimmy Bakker had paid former secretary Jessica Hahn to keep
quiet about a sexual encounter raised questions about his
finances in the 1980s. In 1989, he was sentenced to 45 years
in prison for stealing $158 million from his flock.

2. JIMMY SWAGGART: The famous TV preacher was
caught with a prostitute in a motel in 1988, but his tearful
televised confession kept his $12-million-a-year 10,000
employee, religious empire going until he was linked to
another prostitute in 1991. Lawsuits and an Internal Revenue
Service lien put an end to Jimmy Swaggarts media reign.

3.JUANITA BYNUM and BISHOP THOMAS WEEKS, III:
A ppowerful preacher,beautiful with a melodious voice. She taught people how to let go of their horrible sexual history in the message 'NO MORE SHEETS'.

In another CD she released 'LORD TEACH ME HOW TO LOVE' she claimed Bishop Weeks was her Boaz. Well long story short marriage encountered abuse allegation and subsequently a divorce

4 EDDIE LONG: In a 2010
lawsuit, four male, former
congregants of Bishop Eddie
Long’s Atlanta-area’s
megachurch, accused the pastor of
using his position and expensive
gifts, to coerce them into having
sex with them while they were
teenagers. Long denied the
accusations and settled with the
young

PASTOR BIODUN and ESE WALTER: Let's not forget our own Ese Walter still waiting for the robust reply from COZA senior pastor Bidoun Fatoyinbo.

Before you part with your money to these men,ask yourself the moral justification they have to tell you how to live your life!

If you need more scandals let me know,I'll gladly provide more
Re: Famous Scandals Involving Famous Pastors by JaaizTech: 12:20pm On Jul 20, 2014
Enigma: The question of whether being a Christian makes one moral should really be neither here nor there for a person who is or believes himself to be an atheist. It may be that it arises as a result of introspection or subliminal doubt about the atheist position.

Now as to scandalous "pastors": I will pose the following questions and I do not even necessarily demand that they be answered on this thread or forum; I simply ask that they be pondered --- with an open mind, with an honest mind.

1. Are there any faithful "pastors" and or even Christians out there? ('faithful' meaning committed and trying to follow/practice the faith even if the person stumbles or makes mistakes)

2. Have there been any faithful "pastors" or even Christians in world history?

3. Are there "pastors" or even any Christians who have been transformed from a debased life into a faithful life as a result of becoming Christians?

4. In world history, have there been "pastors" or even any Christians who have been transformed from a debased life into a faithful life as a result of becoming Christians?

5. Globally, of all who are "pastors" and of all who are Christians, what is the proportion that falls into these "scandals" compared to the proportion that does not?

Finally, I maintain that as a matter of polemics, a Christian does not have any obligation to prove to an atheist or to a person who believes himself to be an atheist that Christianity makes one moral.

smiley

I think why Pastors are being singled out is because they had created an Image of sainthood for themselves, hence people are easily shocked to see them committing sins, that even they the followers wouldn't conceive let alone commit.

I can't imagine someone who claims to be in direct contact with God would also be.found wanting with material things, or even be manipulating female Church members!!!. The same guy that cast out demons!!!, a demon himself

(1) (Reply)

See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian / BREAKING: Popular Nigerian General Overseer Is Dead / Should We Pray Abt Everything? Electricity? Weather? And So On?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.