Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,401 members, 7,864,779 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 06:34 AM

Should ASUU Compensate The Nation For Losses During The Strike? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should ASUU Compensate The Nation For Losses During The Strike? (503 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike / When Is ASUU Calling Off The Strike? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should ASUU Compensate The Nation For Losses During The Strike? by turkish(m): 5:28pm On Dec 11, 2013
First lets get some stuff clear.

I have a parent who is a long standing academic (30 yrs 15 of them as a professor) with one of the premier federal universities.

By Nation I mean the citizens and general populace and not the government.

By citizens I mean the following sets;

Families that lost loved ones who died as a consequence of the strike (accidents on way to or fro school, armed robbery attacks, etc)

Maybe if we can stretch it, other non direct consequences like...missed opportunities due to inability of students to complete their programs as scheduled.

I had this thought after considering the fact that these people (My Parent included) will be paid their salaries for the 6 months they were not working.
We all know that staff costs constitute the single biggest charge on the books of any educational institution so the schools will have to commit those resources for half a financial year without any value.
For those of us with business brains, we know that very few businesses can survive such a hit. Yet this is the reality that will confront the schools. Granted, Government Universities are not businesses in a manner of speaking but you catch my drift.

So I ask should ASUU as a body set aside a portion of their salaries for those 6 months to compensate those negatively affected?

OR

Do you think people should sue them for compensation under such situation?
Re: Should ASUU Compensate The Nation For Losses During The Strike? by diggler(m): 5:48pm On Dec 11, 2013
In a perfect world where people have consciences, they should.
However you know the Land we live in.

IMO, this strike is now politically motivated. Though Jona should as a point of urgency axe Nyesom Wike.
If DPJ will allow.

sorry state of affairs.

(1) (Reply)

Strike: Imam Commends FG, ASUU For Resolving Differences / Admitted Student @ Fed Poly Ede / Michael Okpara Uni, Umudike 2014/2015 Aspirants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.