Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,161 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka (2719 Views)

Senate To Contractor: Stop Work On Otuoke Road Project / Ganduje In Caterpillar, Commissions A Road Project (Photos) / Fresh Crisis Brews In APC As Tinubu Posters Disappear From APC’s Secretariat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 3:28am On Dec 12, 2013
The Anambra State governor, Mr. Peter Obi, has directed all contractors handling road and bridge projects across the state to accelerate pace of work for timely completion of such projects.

The call was as a result of the absence of contractors at the Okpuno – Achalla road project.

Governor Obi was at Okpuno-Achalla to inspect the ongoing road construction at Okpuno-Urum-Isuaniocha-Achalla road in Awka North Local Government Area.

He expressed dissatisfaction with the way the designated contractor was handling the project.

Among the projects inspected was the 20 kilometer stretch of Okpuno to Achalla road flagged off in early November. The construction of the road project is said to cost the state government over two billion Naira.

However, the contractors commissioned to handle the project and fully mobilised were nowhere to be found.

The governor read the riot act to all contractors handling any project across the state. He demanded that they should be more aggressive in the execution of the projects to meet the expectations of the government and the benefitting communities.

At Obizi Bridge at Isiagu – Umuawulu road, Awka North Local Government Area, work was ongoing and the contractor was on ground supervising the construction.

The governor, while inspecting the quality and extent of work done, said the project would be providing the first access road to all the communities in the area. He also explained that government would be executing other major projects in the area including the civil servants estate which would be flagged off soon.

The bridge is 35 metres long and construction costs 350 million Naira for construction due to the difficult terrain in Isiagu.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/12/09/contractors-disappear-from-2-billion-naira-road-project-in-awka/

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by Kingsley1000(m): 4:26am On Dec 12, 2013
That's one of the problems i have with obi,he's very loose with people...you dare not try it when NGIGE was in power

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 4:46am On Dec 12, 2013
Kingsley1000: That's one of the problems i have with obi,he's very loose with people...you dare not try it when NGIGE was in power
Yes I am sure Ngige supervised his one road project with all his heart *rolling my eyes*

3 Likes

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by Gboliwe: 6:10am On Dec 12, 2013
All these contractors help pull down a government with their non chalence

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by greatgod2012(f): 6:16am On Dec 12, 2013
Everyone is corrupt!
The contractor must have thought this is how they can have their own shares of the national cake, but unfortunately, they're also making the country and the state uncomfortable and inhabitable for their own children too in the future.

3 Likes

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 7:10am On Dec 12, 2013
Gboliwe: All these contractors help pull down a government with their non chalence
you hit the nail on the head, most of them are use to just getting the money awarded and doing half a55 jobs. Some of them don't get paid until they finish portions of the job, but that can also lead to irresponsible leaders not issuing on time to contractors and bankrupting the companies, which is the case in Imo state now. The money should be held in a escrow account until completion and inspection of the job.
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by OPCNAIRALAND: 7:16am On Dec 12, 2013
Gboliwe: All these contractors help pull down a government with their non chalence

That's because they were sent from Osun to bring Obi down.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 7:24am On Dec 12, 2013
greatgod2012: Everyone is corrupt!
The contractor must have thought this is how they can have their own shares of the national cake, but unfortunately, they're also making the country and the state uncomfortable and inhabitable for their own children too in the future.
your right about that I know one lady her husbands company received a multi million dollar contract to build something for the Government, she took her whole family for 2 months to the states, she was even telling me how they are really doing so well now,which I was not surprised because her husband was a Party Chairman two years ago, so at the rate she was spending money I asked her what's up she told me about the new contract. When I saw the finished project I spoke to her about it and we exchanged heated words. She called me an enemy of progress imagine that undecided
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by asha80(m): 7:28am On Dec 12, 2013
biafranqueen: your right about that I know one lady her husbands company received a multi million dollar contract to build something for the Government, she took her whole family for 2 months to the states, she was even telling me how they are really doing so well now,which I was not surprised because her husband was a Party Chairman two years ago, so at the rate she was spending money I asked her what's up she told me about the new contract. When I saw the finished project I spoke to her about it and we exchanged heated words. She called me an enemy of progress imagine that undecided
laughing at enemy of progress part....our mentality at times is warped.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 7:31am On Dec 12, 2013
You want our people to get the contracts, but they need to take pride in the projects you execute. It irks me when I see Asian or Europeans getting the contract, but to be honest when you give it to a Nigerian company it always ,in my experience, ends up a waste of money and time. Maybe they need to pay attention to details I don't know why big projects are always looking unfinished
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 7:33am On Dec 12, 2013
asha 80: laughing at enemy of progress part....our mentality at times is warped.
I'm telling you!
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by asha80(m): 7:39am On Dec 12, 2013
biafranqueen: You want our people to get the contracts, but they need to take pride in the projects you execute. It irks me when I see Asian or Europeans getting the contract, but to be honest when you give it to a Nigerian company it always ,in my experience, ends up a waste of money and time. Maybe they need to pay attention to details I don't know why big projects are always looking unfinished
maybe that is why foreigners are preferred in contract awards.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 8:15am On Dec 12, 2013
asha 80: maybe that is why foreigners are preferred in contract awards.
unfortunately that is why sad
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by Youngzedd(m): 9:24am On Dec 12, 2013
We no wan hear stories on that 2Billlion @Obi
Better go and fish them out.

Awka must be better.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by Nobody: 9:48am On Dec 12, 2013
Please, given our erosion problem,
Anambra state should consider using concrete base roads, especially for all these new roads. It is not the norm in Nigeria but will remove the cost of rebuilding the roads for almost a century. At most what will be required will be reapplication of asphalt or tar.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by asha80(m): 9:55am On Dec 12, 2013
KenGali: Please, given our erosion problem,
Anambra state should consider using concrete base roads, especially for all these new roads. It is not the norm in Nigeria but will remove the cost of rebuilding the roads for almost a century. At most what will be required will be reapplication of asphalt or tar.
isn't concrete based roads expensive?
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by gerald09(m): 11:40am On Dec 12, 2013
Do dey really!! Cos no human is born a criminal, u have to go c what it takes to get a government contract in Nigeria. If u are fighting to get a NGN2billion contract by the time u have finish bribing the same government official na only NGN800million go remain, den what? U expect d man to carry em head build road he wen he most pay back bank loans n money owed. Obi is doin what any corrupt politician will do, blame d contractor on d media in d morning n den call him up for some R&R @ nite. No one's getting arrested, not when he is in charge officially till 2022. Worst dat will happen APC will complain Obi cries out tribal witch hunt n Anambra people will have his back. And d bad road remains.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by rafindo(m): 12:30pm On Dec 12, 2013
.may God bless u.that is the problem i have with bulldog nd chino the quality of the road, is what matters a lot in anambra.the geological is a makeup scarpeland of enugu/orlu/okigwe denudation.
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by ifechez: 2:11pm On Dec 12, 2013
so becos Obi visited a project site and the contractor was not on site means the contractor disappeared and the road abandoned?
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 4:19pm On Dec 12, 2013
ifechez: so becos Obi visited a project site and the contractor was not on site means the contractor disappeared and the road abandoned?
apparently no movement on the project for several months
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 4:23pm On Dec 12, 2013
gerald09:
Do dey really!! Cos no human is born a criminal, u have to go c what it takes to get a government contract in Nigeria. If u are fighting to get a NGN2billion contract by the time u have finish bribing the same government official na only NGN800million go remain, den what? U expect d man to carry em head build road he wen he most pay back bank loans n money owed. Obi is doin what any corrupt politician will do, blame d contractor on d media in d morning n den call him up for some R&R @ nite. No one's getting arrested, not when he is in charge officially till 2022. Worst dat will happen APC will complain Obi cries out tribal witch hunt n Anambra people will have his back. And d bad road remains.
I can see that happening to Nigerian contractors, so are you saying that the foreign contractors deal with less bribing incident that is why they seem to do better job?
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 4:28pm On Dec 12, 2013
This will be cheaper in the long run, instead of rebuilding the road every 5 years. Chino I hope you are passing this message along ooo. We have to start doing things with long term solutions in mind. We can not continue to embark on projects just to save face angry
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 4:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
asha 80: isn't concrete based roads expensive?
actually it will be cheaper for us, because less maintenance. Even in countries where erosion is not a problem, they build it with concrete, and that is why the same road will exist for hundreds of years. We have to stop them from being penny wise and pound foolish.
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by FreeGlobe(f): 4:46pm On Dec 12, 2013
biafranqueen: Yes I am sure Ngige supervised his one road project with all his heart *rolling my eyes*
Ngige constructed more roads than Peter Obi: Fact
All Ngige roads have outlasted Peter Adaobi roads: Fact
Just setting the records straight

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 12, 2013
asha 80: isn't concrete based roads expensive?
biafranqueen: This will be cheaper in the long run, instead of rebuilding the road every 5 years. Chino I hope you are passing this message along ooo. We have to start doing things with long term solutions in mind. We can not continue to embark on projects just to save face angry

My dear it is high time we start thinking like the rest of the world and leave Nigerian mal functions behind.
I am not criticizing obi or saying his projects are not ok, they are good.

I am just saying its time to step up our game, let the rest of Nigeria be playing catchup.
The truth is that it does not make any Engineering sense to be compacting clay and pouring tar and asphalt on top. Laterite used virtually in all compacted road in the east is mostly clay. Every body knows that clay swells under moisture, hence will never last. We cannot be inviting same contractors and spending all our resources on road construction. The colonials did it for expediency, we do not need to do the same cause it is actually very stupid to an Engineer.
The least we can do in rural areas is to compact and then used concrete tiles with asphalt coat.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 12, 2013
biafranqueen: I can see that happening to Nigerian contractors, so are you saying that the foreign contractors deal with less bribing incident that is why they seem to do better job?
Foreign contractors has better management than the local contractors. Government only engage them through competitive bidding processes when they need to carry out what I called a "landmark" project that need professionalism.

Most of the local contractors are politicians who got those jobs on political patronages and compensation. Moreso, it is easy to launder public funds through the local contractors by those in power/ authority.

I hope you find my analysis useful.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by gerald09(m): 8:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
biafranqueen: I can see that happening to Nigerian contractors, so are you saying that the foreign contractors deal with less bribing incident that is why they seem to do better job?
A better job? U call all dese a better job!? Y do u fink Julius Berger will never leave Nigeria, cos they use d cheapest possible materials on our roads n charge the highest possible price, the foreign contractors are smarter den most of Nigerian contractor in d fact dat after bribing, the contract money is paid to dem in full but Nigerian contractors don't get dat deal.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by Abagworo(m): 8:48pm On Dec 12, 2013
gerald09:
A better job? U call all dese a better job!? Y do u fink Julius Berger will never leave Nigeria, cos they use d cheapest possible materials on our roads n charge the highest possible price, the foreign contractors are smarter den most of Nigerian contractor in d fact dat after bribing, the contract money is paid to dem in full but Nigerian contractors don't get dat deal.

Thank you very much. Does anyone here believe Julius Berger can construct 20km road with 2billion. Julius Berger price is 1billion per km.
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 3:20am On Dec 13, 2013
SeaGold:
Foreign contractors has better management than the local contractors. Government only engage them through competitive bidding processes when they need to carry out what I called a "landmark" project that need professionalism.

Most of the local contractors are politicians who got those jobs on political patronages and compensation. Moreso, it is easy to launder public funds through the local contractors by those in power/ authority.

I hope you find my analysis useful.
Yes very useful indeed, in fact you spoke well, a recent project (won't name names) in Anambra this year 2013, was awarded to a ex-major party chairman and it looks very amateurish. So I know what you have types is nothing but the truth!
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by biafranqueen: 3:33am On Dec 13, 2013
gerald09:
I thought they did the bridges(Julius Berger) was not aware they constructed roads, as well. So the whole blame is on the head of the government officials, for taking the cheapest route. It seems to me as was pointed out the roads are suppose to last for 4 to 8 years, so the next person elected can receive his kickback for road construction. We the citizens have to let them know that we are tired of these clay roads. This is something we can get Dangote involved with, he does not really give a damn about us, but this type of political action that would benefit him because he will of course secure the contract. We need to demand that they use cement and build drains and gutters. They are duping us angry
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by Cuche: 7:02am On Dec 13, 2013
The quality of roads done by Obi should not cost more than N20 million per kilometer except for riverine areas where it could cost substantially higher. The truth is that most of the roads he did which were in central and south just looks like black painting the paved soil yet the contract sum is for super standard roads.
Take for instance the Nnewi -Adazi road (done by Obi)
compare it with Nkpor- Umuoji road(done by Ngige) Yet the contract sums are similar
Why can't Obi be honest for once in his life?
Re: Contractors Disappear From 2 Billion Naira Road Project In Awka by Abagworo(m): 7:11am On Dec 13, 2013
Cuche: The quality of roads done by Obi should not cost more than N20 million per kilometer except for riverine areas where it could cost substantially higher. The truth is that most of the roads he did which were in central and south just looks like black painting the paved soil yet the contract sum is for super standard roads.
Take for instance the Nnewi -Adazi road (done by Obi)
compare it with Nkpor- Umuoji road(done by Ngige) Yet the contract sums are similar
Why can't Obi be honest for once in his life?

You expect the value to remain same after 10 years?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osun Election: High Turn Out Of Voters And No Presence Of Soldier As Publicized / Agama Lizard Holds Secret To Ebola Cure / Rochas Plans To Indebt Imo State For His New Njaba State,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.