Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,756 members, 7,831,442 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Sign Language Interpreter At Mandela's Memorial Blames Schizophrenia Attack - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Sign Language Interpreter At Mandela's Memorial Blames Schizophrenia Attack (601 Views)

The Sign Language Interpreter At Mandela’s Memorial Was 'A Complete Fraud' / Fake Sign Language Interpreter At Mandela Funeral / OBAMA Flirts With A Blond PM At Mandela Memorial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sign Language Interpreter At Mandela's Memorial Blames Schizophrenia Attack by infonubia(m): 4:05pm On Dec 12, 2013
[img]http://3.bp..com/-TitCLsAAnZI/UqnI2TuGPeI/AAAAAAAADlE/p1W-VC4PuTA/s576/interpreter.JPG[/img]

Thamsanqa Jantjie, the 34-year-old sign language translator at Nelson Mandela's memorial service, who was accused by South Africa's deaf federation of "making up his own signs," said he hallucinated that angels were entering the stadium, suffers from schizophrenia and has been violent in the past.

In a 45-minute interview with The Associated Press, Thamsanqa said his hallucinations began while he was interpreting and that he tried not to panic because there were "armed policemen around me." He added that he was once hospitalized in a mental health facility for more than one year..

"There was nothing I could do. I was alone in a very dangerous situation. I tried to control myself and not show the world what was going on. I am very sorry. It's the situation I found myself in," he said.

He also spoke with a SA based radio station, where he was asked if he was satisfied with his performance, he replied "Absolutely, absolutely. I think that I've been a champion of sign language".

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/12/sign-language-interpreter-at-mandelas.html

(1) (Reply)

Malawian President,joyce Banda Neva Sold Country's Private Jet / America Has 4.7 Million Job Openings!!! / Total’s CEO Christophe De Margerie Dies In Plane Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.