Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,777 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry (8105 Views)

Advice Me On 2002 Freelander(land Rover) / Please Help Error Code P0172 And P0170 On 2002 Acura Tl / Rattling Sound On My Camry With 2AZFE Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by 9icetoo(m): 4:09pm On Dec 13, 2013
I just got a scanner last week and scanned my car and got two codes. P1346 and P1349. I did a reset and P1349 came back within three miles. The P1346 did not. Things i have noticed; Power seems to be poor at low rpms, fuel economy has reduced (now down to 5km per liter ). The scanner states my timing is at 10 degress after car has warmed up and RPM has settled at 670 rpm. This is against 2 - 5 degress which a chart i downloaded says it should be at. (the timing increases as rpms increase but is way higher than that stated on the chat).
On my last post, i did mention that i changed my camshaft at onitsha which could point to the cause of the problem. I also wonder if the chain jumped a tooth or two while i have been driving around cos the codes didnt show after i changed the intake camshaft.
Has anyone experienced this before and how was it sorted? I intend to get a mech to check my timing tomorrow and set it right if it is off and then clean out the ocv valve strainer if it is blocked. then check the ocv valve if its still operational. I downloaded a checklist for it. Is there something else i should check?
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by nissparts(m): 4:17pm On Dec 13, 2013
As far as I am aware, no vehicle should have timing of 2-5 degrees.
I stand to be corrected.
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by 9icetoo(m): 9:44pm On Dec 13, 2013
So what should the advanced timing at idle be? Cos I have got a chart here with rpm, fuel octane rating and engine rpm. And for 400 rpm with octane 78 fuel, the timing is 2 at 800 rpm, the timing is 5. And increases gradually till 20 at around 2000 rpm.
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by nissparts(m): 11:07pm On Dec 13, 2013
Ahh, I see.
The 2-5 degrees is referring to timing marks when you are setting timing by hand.
Im not familiar with Toyota engines though so i'll let someone else chip in.
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by raycollins: 12:07am On Dec 14, 2013
@ 9-ce too have d same and exact problems and codes. My own P1346 comes up twice and then P1349. Pls where r u and keep us posted cos I'm following dis thread. Do u hear a noise from ur timing area?
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by 9icetoo(m): 7:47am On Dec 14, 2013
I will keep you updated ray. there is a slight rattle from the timing area. not loud. just a slight rattle when i engage the drive gear. The code disappeared this morning. don't know why. will drive the car into town later in the day to see if it comes back. The P1346 hasn't come back though. But will still check the timing marks and the ocv.
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by raycollins: 12:59pm On Dec 14, 2013
Ok. All dis mechanic do dey know what is oil control valve sef. SMH
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by 9icetoo(m): 1:01pm On Dec 16, 2013
Some do, some don't Ray. My mech calls it plunger. Lol. Well, we got the OCV out and tested it, it worked. (U test it by connecting a 12 volt battery to the terminals. The actuator would move the valve inside.) I however realised that the valve was installed the wrong way probably after checking it and servicing it last time around some months ago. Instead of the two oil outlets facing up and four oil inlets facing down, it was the other way round and as such my camshaft was being starved of oil which led to the failure of the first camshaft. The replacement is also rattling now slightly cos of oil starvation as well. I tried to get to the filter for the OCV. It is located behind the power steering pump. You would need to get that out of the way to loose the nut securing the filter. The nut is a ten alien (hope thats what its called) nut. So u will need a ten alien key for it. The bad news is i wasn't able to get the filter out. It wouldn't come out despite the best efforts of me and the mech. As a last resort, we decided to give it a good spray with a carb cleaner. To check if it was now thru and oil was flowing thru it, we disabled the efi and cranked the car a few times to see if oil will flow out from the OCV port. Oil did flow out. It was getting rather late so i could not check the timing marks. rescheduled that for this weekend. After this fix, the P1349 is gone but the P1346 is back. I will be changing the camshaft and the timing chain this weekend to clear that code. If you have got the P1349, i suggest you have it looked at before you wreck your camshaft. Will update after the camshaft and timing chain change. Cheers.
Attached is a pix of the ocv. Notice the two oil outlets on top. Mine was mistakenly reversed.

Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by Nobody: 4:47pm On Dec 16, 2013
P1346 refers to a VVT malfunction.

Strangely, I've just replaced the timing chain, and the VVT sprocket on a 2005 Toyota Corolla. If the chain is stretched, you WILL get a P1346 code. And it won't clear. The timing will be advancing and retarding beyond the design limits, so the CEL will illuminate as soon as load is applied to the engine.

A stretched timng chain will rattle, more on overrun.

You'll need to replace:

01) Timing chain.
02) VVT sprocket (on intake camshaft).
03) Drive sprocket (on exhaust camshaft).
04) Drive sprocket (on crankshaft).
05) Hydraulic tensioner (at the rear of the cylinder head).
06) Both timing chain guides.

You'll need to fit a NEW rocker cover gasket (not that black "gum" Nigerian mechanics seem to love. And reseal the timing chain cover (this uses a silicone seal, not a gasket).

Clear fault codes, then you're good to go.
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by 9icetoo(m): 8:12am On Dec 17, 2013
So it's true Siena. U really have started working on TOYODAS!!! grin Lol. I bet u r going to be getting a lot of PMs.
I can get the timing chain and all other accesories where i am except the VVT cam sprocket.
Parts dealers here don't seem to have it and are suggesting i buy a tokunbo which sounds crazy to me. (why put a new chain on an old sprocket?) undecided. Anyone here know where i can get the VVT cam sprocket in ph?
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by raycollins: 11:27am On Dec 17, 2013
@ 9ice too thanks for d write up. Wish I w as in PH so ur. Mrchanic can fix d car. What is ur average miles per gallon now. Pls find a way. To send me ur no or if u r on BBM ur pin. Thanks
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by 9icetoo(m): 4:31pm On Dec 17, 2013
ray collins: @ 9ice too thanks for d write up. Wish I w as in PH so ur. Mrchanic can fix d car. What is ur average miles per gallon now. Pls find a way. To send me ur no or if u r on BBM ur pin. Thanks
It depends on the codes ur car is throwing Ray. if its the P1346, its a whole days work. U can come to ph during the holidays (20th onwards) and see what can be done. I haven't driven many miles since i fixed the P1349 yet. Just drove the car home from the mech and its been parked since. my number is 08131562123. Will keep the house updated when i fix the P1346. Anyone know where i can get the VVT camshaft sprocket? I don't want to buy tokunbo.
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by raycollins: 9:27pm On Dec 17, 2013
Thanks. 9ice too. Pls keep us posted. smiley
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 26, 2015
Siena:

Strangely, I've just replaced the timing chain, and the VVT sprocket on a 2005 Toyota Corolla. If the chain is stretched, you WILL get a P1346 code. And it won't clear. The timing will be advancing and retarding beyond the design limits, so the CEL will illuminate as soon as load is applied to the engine.

You'll need to replace:

01) Timing chain.

You'll need to fit a NEW rocker cover gasket (not that black "gum" Nigerian mechanics seem to love. And reseal the timing chain cover (this uses a silicone seal, not a gasket).

please how much for this items u listed want to have an idea,

my car also hv this issues. am considering changing the timimng chain
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 26, 2015
Siena:

You'll need to replace:

01) Timing chain.

Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by Sholawasiu: 8:04pm On Mar 25, 2019
Please am experiencing similar problem now with my matrix 2003 XRS, its losing power, fuel ⛽ pump has been changed, OCV has been changed, but the camshaft actuator has not been changed so i don't know if that's what i should do next to solve this problem.
Re: P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry by 9icetoo(m): 9:04am On Mar 26, 2019
Sholawasiu:
Please am experiencing similar problem now with my matrix 2003 XRS, its losing power, fuel ⛽ pump has been changed, OCV has been changed, but the camshaft actuator has not been changed so i don't know if that's what i should do next to solve this problem.
How long have had this vehicle and what type of oil have you been using?

(1) (Reply)

N10,000 Reward - Help Me Find My Friend / Ford, Lincoln And Mercury Cars Thread / Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.