Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,845 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Statement Of The Year 2013 ( Nigeria In Context) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Statement Of The Year 2013 ( Nigeria In Context) (1015 Views)

The First Clueless Statement Of Buhari / Top Nigerian Achievers Of Year 2013 / Role Of Youth In Nation Building. Nigeria In Context (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Statement Of The Year 2013 ( Nigeria In Context) by blacksta(m): 6:02pm On Dec 13, 2013
Pukkah:

Those claiming that the state Judiciary is 'independent' say so because it's convenient.

The Senate is 'independent' but we have seen the way they have handled Stella Oduah's saga.

This same people say that Obasanjo rigged elections even though INEC under Obasanjo was 'independent'.

This same people say that Jonathan permits free and fair elections even though INEC under Jonathan is still 'independent'.

A court also declared that the House of Reps cannot take over the functions of the Rivers State House of Assembly. As soon as the 'independent' court's judgement was delivered, an 'independent' Police Force, shooting tear gas and live bullets, prevented pro-Amaechi lawmakers from reconvening but sneaked in the anti-Amaechi lawmakers. That is also another manifestation of 'independence'.

In other words, being 'independent' depends on who is using it.

On paper, the three arms in 'independent' but those who know the practical workings in the corridors of power (like Obasanjo who also accused Jonathan of the same thing) know that it's all a charade.

Click Like to vote

1 Like

Re: Statement Of The Year 2013 ( Nigeria In Context) by taharqa: 6:08pm On Dec 13, 2013
lol... It is only an OLODO that wud read this Extremely IGNORANT statement and call it 'statement of d year'... The Senate and d HOR by their political nature are not Independent in the true sense of that word; that's why political parties controlled them and d President himself is VERY involved in ALL d lawmaking activities of d two legislative bodies. The Police, like d Army and oda Security Agencies, are sm of d most Dependent Agencies of d Executive. Whilst, INEC is Independent by law at least, and that enhanced recently by this Admin by giving them Financial Independence tru a Constitutional Amendment process, d Election is a much complex undataking involving not just INEC but other Agencies like d Police, Army, State Media, and d attitude/disposition of d sitting Govt, all controlled by d Executive/President. The Judiciary howeva is d Most Independent of any body in Nigeria (at least largely) by its very nature, composition and administration. There cannot be any comparison bw Judiciary (esp its higher Courts) and d others, except say d INEC which is limited by oda factors.... You and d owner of d Comment are both Grand OLODOs
Re: Statement Of The Year 2013 ( Nigeria In Context) by wesley80(m): 6:33pm On Dec 13, 2013
I would like your post if you modify your title to read ; Ignorant statement of the year! It's naivety is so obvious it indicts the OP for hailing such a comment.
That a body is independent does not mean it's activities cannot be subverted. The larger it is, the more unwieldier it becomes ala INEC, the legislative arm of government and even the judiciary as an organ of government, that's a fact few can argue with. However, some arms are immune from the unwieldiness that presents a challenge to the rest of the body in totality. Take for example, the office of the INEC chair as headed by Jega who we would all agree is a forthright man but does the independence of his person and office necessarily translate to the independence of the entire workings of INEC? Common sense suggests No! Same holds for the judiciary and by extension, the Supreme court of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Why? Because the workings of the Supreme court are localized and personalized with every move scrutinized by the highest legal authorities in the land and therefor largely independent of external influence.
How you (the OP) fails to understand this besides keeping in line with the familiar APC follower mentality, speaks volumes.
Re: Statement Of The Year 2013 ( Nigeria In Context) by Tolexander: 6:45pm On Dec 13, 2013
Wow!

Pukkah really made a nice post there.

1million likes!
Re: Statement Of The Year 2013 ( Nigeria In Context) by Vivly(f): 6:56pm On Dec 13, 2013
I wonder how that post can be seen as the best post of the year. I wish I could quote it to state my reasons against each point.
Those arms are independent. Depends on what the poster understands by an arm being independent of each arm. Do you know of checks and balances? No arm or even the INEC can exist on its own. Sometimes, even a state of emergency can clash with it's independence. It's not against the constitution.
Re: Statement Of The Year 2013 ( Nigeria In Context) by blacksta(m): 6:58pm On Dec 13, 2013
Please less focus on the OP - Stop attacking me - Plese discuss the subject

Only those who have buried their heads in sand - will lay claim to the notation that there is separation of powers in Nigeria

fact remains - Nigeria is too corrupt for such systems to work.

One example that comes to mind -Mr President prevented an incumbent governor (timpre) from going for a second term - ( I laugh in Nigerian style separation of powers abi ) only to replace with a stooge
Re: Statement Of The Year 2013 ( Nigeria In Context) by wesley80(m): 7:12pm On Dec 13, 2013
blacksta: Please less focus on the OP - Stop attacking me - Plese discuss the subject

Only those who have buried their heads in sand - will lay claim to the notation that there is separation of powers in Nigeria

fact remains - Nigeria is too corrupt for such systems to work.

One example that comes to mind -Mr President prevented an incumbent governor (timpre) from going for a second term - ( I laugh in Nigerian style separation of powers abi ) only to replace with a stooge
You guys always try to appear like honest commentators but everytime your hypocrisy stinks to the high heavens! What has independence of an arm of govt got to with a President flexing his muscle? Have you heard of Newt Gingrich? Google him and learn what happened to him when he tried to flex muscles with an American president

(1) (Reply)

APC, Party Of Angry Politicians -sule Lamido / Gov. Fashola At The 2013 Children Christmas Party. Pics. / The Killings In The North: The Region That Wants One Nigeria By All Means

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.