Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,469 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:04 AM

What Makes You A Nigerian - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Makes You A Nigerian (545 Views)

What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? / What Makes Someone "african"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes You A Nigerian by chukyrooy(m): 8:26am On Dec 14, 2013
I was having lunch with a couple of colleagues from work here in the UK. Seated on the table were 5 Nigerians, 3 of which (including myself) grew up in Nigeria and just moved here few years back. The other 2 were born here and never visited Back home. I asked one of the other 2 what their Nigerian name is, and he could not even pronounce it properly, this caused a bit of stir as the others started laughing and they made this comment to him "you are lost and you are not a Nigerian" this didn't go down well with them.

Then he asked this question,
Not being able to speak your language or pidgen English, are those the only ways to classify you as being a Nigerian. So he said beside Language, what makes you a Nigerian?

There was a general sadness and from the top of my head I said,

-Working hard in spite of various difficulties
-In the midst of our madness I still always remember God.
-I believe in giving respect to your elders
-etc.

So I ask "what makes you a Nigerian"?
Re: What Makes You A Nigerian by DesChyko1(m): 8:39am On Dec 14, 2013
That it's 8:37am but I'd already had a meal of cold eba and cold okra soup this cold morning, yet I'm still feeling fresh.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Makes You A Nigerian by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 14, 2013
Because I dey use pigeon dey type this comment say I fit chop amala with ewedu or ogbono soup plus beef or grasscutter meat with my hand.

1 Like

Re: What Makes You A Nigerian by UKgentle: 1:40pm On Dec 16, 2013
That I eat eba once or twice a day if not I experience withdrawal symptoms.

Space reserved. Front page things

(1) (Reply)

Our Culture Is Dying Why? / Saving Our Culture / Woman Shield Thy Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.