Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa (1415 Views)

Slavery In The Americas And West Indies - More Shocking Than Imagined / 12-yr-old Boy With Growth Tail Hailed As god In India / Africa Without Slavery And Colonization (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by dot2002(m): 9:50pm On Jul 30, 2008
Members of Congress this week approved a measure offering the country’s first apology to the black community for more than two centuries of slavery and for the segregation laws that entangled the US South well into the 1960s.

are these apologies enough##
what more can be done to enable people of colours to desist from self-denial and help empower their fellow people of colour,
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 30, 2008
i dont get it.
what are they apologising for? the sin of their fore fathers? whom they most probably do not know.
and who are these pple begging for apology and in some quarters compensation? do they know exactly what transpired then?

this is back ward thinking aswerigad.
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by Ibime(m): 11:16pm On Jul 30, 2008
Make una dey there dey yarn. This apology could lead to $$$ for those Black Americans. wink

This issue of apology clears the way for them to challenge for reparations.
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by Hardballer(m): 10:29am On Jul 31, 2008
F*ck the apology reparations to the african countries they raped thats what it should be abiola said something like this
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by texazzpete(m): 1:02pm On Jul 31, 2008
Hardballer:

F*ck the apology reparations to the african countries they raped thats what it should be abiola said something like this

So what if Abiola said that? Was he an authority on that subject?

it might interest you to know that the vast majority of slaves taken by the westerners were sold to them by local tribes. For instance, the Yoruba empire rulers sold off a great number of slaves, in exchange for mere trinkets. By that standard we ought to march to Oyo and demand for reparation from them. Abiola cheerfully neglected that fact.
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by TayoD1(m): 1:23pm On Jul 31, 2008
@topic,

Members of Congress this week approved a measure offering the country’s first apology to the black community for more than two centuries of slavery and for the segregation laws that entangled the US South well into the 1960s.
That's one of the reasons why I can't stand the Democrats. They have basically used the Blacks in the US as a political tool to achieve political ends. It might interest you to know that the guy who moved the motion is a White Democrat who is running against a strong Black Republican in the coming election. He feels his position is threatedned and the next thing is to play the race politics.

I ask, of what use is an apology? My children are not responsible for my actions and should offer no apology on my behalf. In moving the motion for apology, on the road to reparation, what apologies and compensations will be given to the 100s of thousands of Whites who fought, bled and died to end slavery in the US? This is a part of the story that never gets told.

This whole apology thing stinks to high heavens with rotten political posturing by the Democrats. I am simply appaled.
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by landis(m): 3:03pm On Jul 31, 2008
it might interest you to know that the vast majority of slaves taken by the westerners were sold to them by local tribes.

spare us your half-truth.

Thousands of slaves were accepted as collateral for loans by two banks that later became part of JP Morgan Chase.
About 13,000 slaves were used as loan collateral between 1831 and 1865.

in the EUROPE, do they buy their own PEOPLE?

The europeans(who later became AMERICANS) are 100% guilty for the slave-trade.

Church of England, Spain and Pope all encourgaed them to go and BUY people. It is documented.

Pope Nicholas V issued the papal bull Dum Diversas on 18 June, 1452. It authorised Alfonso V of Portugal to reduce any “Saracens (Muslims) and pagans and any other unbelievers” to perpetual slavery. This facilitated the Portuguese slave trade from West Africa.

Infact, it was Business that grow their ECONOMY.  Banks even offer the 'slave merchant' LOAN to buy people from west africa.
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by samorijack(m): 3:21pm On Jul 31, 2008
The truth is Africans should look in the mirror, slavery could not have happened without the active connivance of fellow

Africans , Hundreds of years later we're still enslaving and discriminating against each other, Though we call it a

different name (TRIBALISM). We're all black but we still find avenues for discrimination, African leaders who plunder their own countries are no different from those slave owners of yester-years.

WE ALL SHOULD LOOK IN THE MIRROR.
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Jul 31, 2008
samorijack:

The truth is Africans should look in the mirror, slavery could not have happened without the active connivance of fellow

Africans , Hundreds of years later we're still enslaving and discriminating against each other, Though we call it a

different name (TRIBALISM).
We're all black but we still find avenues for discrimination, African leaders who plunder their own countries are no different from those slave owners of yester-years.

WE ALL SHOULD LOOK IN THE MIRROR.

Thank you! Many of our ancestors sold their neighbours and anyone they had a grudge with into slavery for gunpowder, a piece of a mirror etc. People in africa to date still sell their kids into slavery to pay off bills or pacify dealers. We have slavery blooming to date in Africa and we rarely talk of it. Some claim it is in the name of religion and we do not attack those the way we attack slavery in america's past.

I don't understand the need for congress to deliver such an apology and I will wait to see what comes next. I just have never been able to point an accusing finger at america and the other races out there who only took advantage of what was available and offered to them by our own african ancestors.
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by samorijack(m): 3:39pm On Jul 31, 2008
Slavery was a feature of pre-colonial African tradition, As I see it the white man just exploited and improved upon what we already were practising. I wish I could blame the white DEVIL for all our woes but it's my own kind doing all the killing here.(RUWANDA, CONGO, and most recently South Africa). The black man need to take responsibility for his development and look away from the IMF and the World bank, they were set up to protect the interests of their Patrons, which are principally the victorious forces of the the second world war, Shame on Arica and it's leaders cry
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by texazzpete(m): 7:59pm On Jul 31, 2008
landis:

spare us your half-truth.

Thousands of slaves were accepted as collateral for loans by two banks that later became part of JP Morgan Chase.
About 13,000 slaves were used as loan collateral between 1831 and 1865.

in the EUROPE, do they buy their own PEOPLE?

The europeans(who later became AMERICANS) are 100% guilty for the slave-trade.

Church of England, Spain and Pope all encourgaed them to go and BUY people. It is documented.

Pope Nicholas V issued the papal bull Dum Diversas on 18 June, 1452. It authorised Alfonso V of Portugal to reduce any “Saracens (Muslims) and pagans and any other unbelievers” to perpetual slavery. This facilitated the Portuguese slave trade from West Africa.

Infact, it was Business that grow their ECONOMY. Banks even offer the 'slave merchant' LOAN to buy people from west africa.

When you stop and think, you'll realise that the person who buys a human being is no worse than the person who sells a human being.

But that's your problem, isn't it? You never stop to think.
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by samorijack(m): 9:00am On Aug 01, 2008
@texazzpete. My dear brother, seems you have your thinking skull on, here's a thought for you to ponder on, Slavery has always been around, even in the Bible times and provisions were made in the Law of Moses for the treatment of slaves.So according to you if the sellers and buyers of slaves are part of the same coin,may'be God missed something?

I don't subscribe to slavery and think it's evil, I rank it at par with segrgation and tribalism. My argument is an apology by the whoever about slavery, may give us all a warm fuzzy feeling but it does not change anything . I live in the third world and when I see what Africans do to each other,in the name of tribalism etc, it's clear to me that our problem has nothing to do with the white. The recent zenophobic attacks in South Africa, cannot be blamed on the white man.

In my opinion, slavery, tribalism, nepotism, zenophobia are all the same. They are manifestations of man's inhumanity to man. As for your reference to the activities of the Ctholic institution, well they have many thing to apologise and be ashamed of, I say all of these very respectfully. smiley
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by dot2002(m): 3:32pm On Aug 01, 2008
landis you are right! people of colours were ever used as collateral
Re: Apology For Slavery Hailed As Milestone In Usa by sunnykiss(m): 5:35pm On Aug 07, 2008
embarassed na so dem dey do every year na

na only God go 4give white people

(1) (Reply)

Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill / Britain Threatens To Invade Ecuador’s London Embassy To Arrest Wikileaks Founder / Real Maker Of Controversial Film "Innocence Of The Muslims" Is A Former Criminal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.