Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,984 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? (11773 Views)

Loan Incured Before Termination Of Appointment In The Bank:urgent Advice Needed / 90-Year-Old Asked To Bring 1950 Appointment Letter To Get Pension (Pictured) / Mass And Massive Resignation Of Appointment Hits Intercontinental Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Kjking(m): 7:09pm On Dec 20, 2013
castielo: In my opinion, a pregnant woman should be denied appointment letter. wat she needs is rest, not walking around n putting the baby at risk
well for me, i'll say it depends on d stage of d pregnancy, if she's rili heavy den she shud be denied, if she is in her early stage, she shudn't if she's qualified. The company needs ur full concentrantion n tym, dats wat dae pay u for. Wen u cnt meet ds demands of d company, den ur not fit to work der
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
It depends on the company policy and also the kinda work you are applying for.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 20, 2013
pDude: In Nigeria, yes. cry cry

Abroad, it is called discrimination and that is the last thing anyone here wants to be accused of.

Just ask Paula Dean grin

Na everybody dey open mouth now to say 'In Nigeria, it's possible....in abroad, it is otherwise'. Please borrow a brain undecided undecided. Discrimination ko, Eminado ni angry angry angry angry. Tschew
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Sammiejo: 7:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
BTW keep your mouth shut. Except you are expressly asked, you do not divulge your state. A big company like u said usually would have a process to handle this kind of case. Your confirmation would probably be delayed or you may not have leave for more than a year
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Exponental(m): 7:20pm On Dec 20, 2013
It depends on nature of d job. On d odahand, every woman is entitled to some rights. Many coy will see dis rights too soon or too early to start with.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Smilenw(f): 7:29pm On Dec 20, 2013
chii8:

my dear,she was already pregnat before she got the job,or would you have advised she abort the pregnacy cos of her career?
My dear poster,ur baby first oooo,a lot of pple v spent so much for it,dnt stress dat innocent cutie down there,if its God's will ur real job wl com afta delivery

My reply to her was about her attitude and not about her pregnancy. Read very well before you jump into conclusion. Her attitude of dragging a potential employer into an unpleasant situation just because she/some staff THINKS she may not get the job coz of her pregnancy. What reason does she have for not being employed till now since she has stated that she has been unemployed for a long time ? Mind you the girl did not come here asking whether to keep the baby or not, she came here looking for an appropriate authority to present her case as she feels she may not get the job due to her condition.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by mayor007(m): 7:40pm On Dec 20, 2013
It depends on the kind of job.

If it is an overly physical job, you don't expect them to give you an appointment but if it is a job that requires analytical skills and you are the best candidate for the position; I see no reason why you should be denied.

But bear in mind that they may prefer to employ another candidate 'cause you are gonna go on maternity leave soon and we all know these businesses love to minimise losses.

All the best.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by chii8(f): 7:46pm On Dec 20, 2013
Aunty Smilenw,am sorry but i want to ask u some few personal questions?
Are u married?
How young is ur marriage?
Do u v kids?
N r u a grad wt very good grade?

Am asking cos of som underneath info d op didnt giv bt its there.d op is very very desperate,her even unemployed status mit b frustratn her marrriage but ds opportunity came at a time sth important is taking place in her.
Her attitude is understandable but all she needs is ecouragement and shud com first

1 Like

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by potentpraise: 8:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
Sorry most medical test for job is not about pregnancy test. It would be for the following except if being pregnant will also affect your work.
1. Drug Test: igbo or cocain
2. Alcohol Test: ogogoro, bear, sokudalaye
3. Physical Test: if you can carry load of about 50lbs
4. Tuberculosis or any communicable related disease Test: if you will be working with a lot of people or children
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Theben(m): 8:40pm On Dec 20, 2013
kulyie: See another one.

naso your nama abort you when you dey her womb because of job lipsrsealed
See this one, you think say I for nor trouble my parents if they hadn't given me a decent life after having me?

I'll refer they abort me than bring me to this world to suffer.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by chifreke(f): 8:47pm On Dec 20, 2013
checkdate: PLEASE WHY DO YOU ASK ?
i have one at hand...but scared of being turned down...thats why i want to know if, it is a right that can be fight for.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by chifreke(f): 8:50pm On Dec 20, 2013
chii8:

my dear,she was already pregnat before she got the job,or would you have advised she abort the pregnacy cos of her career?
My dear poster,ur baby first oooo,a lot of pple v spent so much for it,dnt stress dat innocent cutie down there,if its God's will ur real job wl com afta delivery
tanks love u are d best...thats my prayer now!
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Sweetlemon(f): 8:53pm On Dec 20, 2013
pDude:

I thought I said that dear undecided

And I thought I raised other points in my post honey undecided
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by chifreke(f): 8:54pm On Dec 20, 2013
Smilenw: [b][/b]

Wait...are you talking about me ?? Where did I even mention abortion ??! From my understanding she applied after confirming her pregnancy...or fell pregnant soon after applying. Unless OP comes here to clear this misunderstanding And next time read the posts well before name calling:/

just 5 weeks old....i have already applied and got interviewed early this year....after 7months of interview i was contacted and am already pregnant.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Sweetlemon(f): 8:55pm On Dec 20, 2013
chifreke:
tanks love u are d best...thats my prayer now!

E eya! You sound like you REALLY need this job. I can only imagine..... I will join you in prayers. Anything is possible.

1 Like

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by stanley99a(m): 8:59pm On Dec 20, 2013
pDude:

You are what is wrong with the world today. cry cry

No wonder Naija is a hopeless place. I hope you never attain any position of authority. cry
what has the guy said that made u write this insulting words. A pregnant woman that has not started working should relax and deliver first before going out for a new job. If she had started working before, its a different ball game. My friend mind the way u use words
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by stanley99a(m): 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2013
pDude:

You are what is wrong with the world today. cry cry

No wonder Naija is a hopeless place. I hope you never attain any position of authority. cry
what has the guy said that made u write this insultive words. A pregnant woman that has not started working should relax and deliver first before going out for a new job. If she had started working before, its a different ball game. My friend mind the way u use words
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Sweetlemon(f): 9:02pm On Dec 20, 2013
chifreke:
just 5 weeks old....i have already applied and got interviewed early this year....after 7months of interview i was contacted and am already pregnant.

If you are not up to 2 months then you don't have much to be scared about.
Relax dear so you don't harm yourself.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Smilenw(f): 9:04pm On Dec 20, 2013
chii8

I do not see the need to answer your questions as this thread is not about me.

Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth...desperation. If only some of our women could exercise patience and do away with desperation. They are desperate to get married, desperate to have babies, desperate to have jobs, desperate to start business...

Now onto your theory about her unemployed state frustrating her young marriage...I replied based on her posts and did not want to delve into her personal life. I still stand by my point that OP is being "wicked" for thinking of taking up a case against some employer who was kind enough to consider her for a position. If she could survive without a job all these while, why not for a few more months for a good reason ? Maybe you should start thinking from the employers point of view and see if her action is justifiable.

Lets assume op IS given the job. What if they have a policy stating newly recruited employees are not entitled to maternity leave for an year or two ? A friend who took up a well paying job in the Middle East says they have a company policy that a female employee shouldn't go on maternity leave for 3 years. They even have to sign a bond in this regard. OP claims to be fit and fine now, but if you've got kids you'll understand that this "fitness" would soon give way to fatigue and weakness by the time you are in your 3rd trimester. Do you know how difficult it is to walk around with twins in your 3rd trimester, let alone having a full time job? As her pregnancy progress, her work could get affected, she could become an underperformer and may never get considered for a promotion or hike.

If I were in her shoes, I would have a talk with the HR head and see if the offer could be deferred for a few months. If they can't I'll move on and keep trying for another job after the baby comes. But to file a lawsuit, hell no!!!

@OP...I have nothing against you apart from your plan to drag your employers into a legal tiff for no fault of theirs. Jobs come and go. But for now, please enjoy your baby's growth and wait for the right time. If not this job, there's a better one in store for you. Just submit yourself to the Lord and let him give you reasons to glorify his name. Wishing you a hale and hearty 9 months !
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Smilenw(f): 9:09pm On Dec 20, 2013
Just saw your reply OP...eeyah...you really seem desperate...lets pray that they give you the job..atleast you'll have a clear conscience and who knows, they'll even appreciate you for coming out clear..all the best !
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by steffans(m): 9:11pm On Dec 20, 2013
a pregnant lady has been on my case to employe her.. but am not comfortable with it Cruz its a small org.. and I can't pay her for 3mnths without working not to talk of d days she will take as sick days or vaccine days...

not withstanding if d org is as big as u say it.. dey can afford to pick u.. if u got wat it takes..

Good luck.. and wishing u a safe delivery!!!
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by plezant(f): 10:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
It hapnd in my ofis. Two ladies were employed same tym May 2012. Both were preggy, nobody knew. They all took maternity leave in Dec but were not paid d maternity leave allowance. Thank God for dem, they were allowed to take their annual leave dis yr with no issues. I wish u all d best. Just b diligent in ur job.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by meforyou1(m): 10:30pm On Dec 20, 2013
castielo: In my opinion, a pregnant woman should be denied appointment letter. wat she needs is rest, not walking around n putting the baby at risk
what kind of rubbish talk is this? And some mugus are even liking it. It is morally and ethically wrong. Just that in Nigeria nobody reports anything. Don't know if public complaints commission can help. Or national human rights commission. But the lady can write officially to these 2 agencies and visit them with a face-face discussion. She can also seek advice of lawyers.

1 Like

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by chifreke(f): 5:23am On Dec 21, 2013
Smilenw: chii8

I do not see the need to answer your questions as this thread is not about me.

Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth...desperation. If only some of our women could exercise patience and do away with desperation. They are desperate to get married, desperate to have babies, desperate to have jobs, desperate to start business...

Now onto your theory about her unemployed state frustrating her young marriage...I replied based on her posts and did not want to delve into her personal life. I still stand by my point that OP is being "wicked" for thinking of taking up a case against some employer who was kind enough to consider her for a position. If she could survive without a job all these while, why not for a few more months for a good reason ? Maybe you should start thinking from the employers point of view and see if her action is justifiable.

Lets assume op IS given the job. What if they have a policy stating newly recruited employees are not entitled to maternity leave for an year or two ? A friend who took up a well paying job in the Middle East says they have a company policy that a female employee shouldn't go on maternity leave for 3 years. They even have to sign a bond in this regard. OP claims to be fit and fine now, but if you've got kids you'll understand that this "fitness" would soon give way to fatigue and weakness by the time you are in your 3rd trimester. Do you know how difficult it is to walk around with twins in your 3rd trimester, let alone having a full time job? As her pregnancy progress, her work could get affected, she could become an underperformer and may never get considered for a promotion or hike.

If I were in her shoes, I would have a talk with the HR head and see if the offer could be deferred for a few months. If they can't I'll move on and keep trying for another job after the baby comes. But to file a lawsuit, hell no!!!

@OP...I have nothing against you apart from your plan to drag your employers into a legal tiff for no fault of theirs. Jobs come and go. But for now, please enjoy your baby's growth and wait for the right time. If not this job, there's a better one in store for you. Just submit yourself to the Lord and let him give you reasons to glorify his name. Wishing you a hale and hearty 9 months !

thanks. But i didnt plan on taking them to court...i was only asking if there is a commission that can give an ear to me. The first few months the new staff is on probation isnt it? They have right to retain or dispose...all am asking is that am fit for the job and shld not be denied cos of nature...am fit and strong to take on ma duties judiciously...beside u sound to me...with or without d job God will keep me and my baby.....i only needed to occupy myself and help ma family......@ all thanks for your contributions...i have decided to wait for my fate; which Only God will decide. Thanks remain blessed, any updates i will notify u guyz.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by zeniola: 7:07am On Dec 21, 2013
[quote
author=Sammiejo]@OP have no fear, standard employment medical tests do
not include a pregnancy test. Except you are very large there is no need to be alarmed. Those tests are mainly to establish a health baseline
and identify if you have communicable diseases.[/quote]

In most firms in Nigeria pregnancy test is done for women in addition to the communicable disease test before women are employed
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by dayoungmoney1: 9:43am On Dec 22, 2013
chifreke:
is it a Fed Govt job?
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by chifreke(f): 7:40pm On Dec 22, 2013
da_youngmoney1:
is it a Fed Govt job?
private!
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Chysleak: 8:33pm On Apr 25, 2018
Hello. So how did you go about your pregnancy and the new job cos I'm currently in this same type of issue.?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Mortgage Bank Sacks Murtala Ibrahim, Whistleblower / Six Career Myths You Shouldn't Fall For / ICAN Holds 60th Induction Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.