Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Boko Haram And The Nigerian Christian - An Article - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Boko Haram And The Nigerian Christian - An Article (735 Views)

10 Bad Things Nigerian Christian Youths Do In Church / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / Nigerian Christian Blogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram And The Nigerian Christian - An Article by DrummaBoy(m): 10:56am On Dec 20, 2013
BOKO HARAM AND THE NIGERIAN CHRISTIAN

Two reports coming from Borno State gives us a fair idea of the dilemma that section of the Nigerian nation is experiencing at the moment. They are the attack on Baga village by soldiers from the Nigerian military in April 2013 and the carnage that occurred in a military base in December 2nd for which the Boko Haram sect has claimed responsibility. In the former case, the Nigerian security forces are accused of carrying out something close to genocide on a village that was suspected to be harboring Boko Harm terrorists. In the latter case these terrorists are seen to have carried out a very successful campaign against a Nigerian military formation that has caused the Nigerian military a great deal of embarrassment. In both incidences, we are at the mercy of the press to know the exact figures of the causalities and we are left to a great deal of speculation as to how these incidences occurred and what informed them. Whatever conclusions may be arrived from them and others like them, something is sure: Borno State is not at peace and the rest of Nigeria has every reason to be bothered about this. It is Borno today, it can be Oyo tomorrow.

This essay is concerned about discussing the Boko Haram challenge and helping the average Nigerian Christian to have a balanced view of it so that we can work together as Nigerians to see the end of this insurgency. It must be stated from the onset that the Boko Haram sect is not Muslim. Yes, they may be said to be an Islamic sect but because of their resort to violence and murdering of innocent people – Muslims and Christians alike – their ideas are far from being Muslim. Rather they have invented a new religion that must be clearly seen as un-Islamic. It is important to state this because it is not uncommon to hear Christians refer to Muslims, in a bid to spite them, as Boko Haram. If a man holds the Islamic ideals but does not support or is not involved with men who kill others to make a political statement, that individual is not Boko Haram and Christians must understand this distinction. I have listened to messages that teach Christians that at the heart of the Islamic message is a love for violence – the Jihad. We are told that there are a number of verses in the Quran that calls faithful Muslims to kill those who do not accept their religious beliefs. My answer to such is that any warped mind can take any holy book and make it say whatever his demented thinking wants it to say. Even the bible can be interpreted to teach that Jesus supported violence. Consider these scriptures:

And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force – Matthew 11:12
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword – Matthew 10:35-36

These verses are the very words of Jesus and these are the kind of verses some Christian groups stood on as they embarked on the Crusades in the Middle Ages to restore Jerusalem to Christianity. History is replete with the horrors, murders and un-Christian things these men meted out in the name of Christianity. I am too sure no Christian is ready to call those people “brethren” today when we read of their escapades. This is the same challenge that the average Muslim is facing in the wake of the Boko Haram challenge that has gripped the Nigerian state. Nigerian Christians must understand that these Boko Haram are best referred to as Boko Animals – yes, brand new animals that have undergone some mutation from human beings. They have become animals not by any supernatural work of the Almighty but by their own resort to be brainwashed by some ideas that are far from Islamic.

Concluded here: http://www.yesufu..com/2013/12/boko-haram-and-nigerian-christian.html

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram And The Nigerian Christian - An Article by ajasbaba(m): 11:03am On Dec 20, 2013
what is this one trying to prove sef

or just marketing your blog

angrily walks out of tread
Re: Boko Haram And The Nigerian Christian - An Article by Mynd44: 11:07am On Dec 20, 2013
True.
Re: Boko Haram And The Nigerian Christian - An Article by DrummaBoy(m): 11:58am On Aug 26, 2014
Mynd44: True.

Thanks
Re: Boko Haram And The Nigerian Christian - An Article by PastorKun(m): 2:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
I don't agree with all your views here and I even think you sound a bit patronising. Truth be told, Islamic terrorism is not a local problem as represented by boko haram. It is actually a global phenomenon and these fundamentalists have not only proven time and again that they draw their inspiration from their holy books, they also claim with evidence that they follow the example of Muhammed who is their perfect example and was known to be a man of war. In my views there is something very fundamentally inconsistent about the religion and the way it's adherents wish to interpret or practise it.
Re: Boko Haram And The Nigerian Christian - An Article by DrummaBoy(m): 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2014
PastorKun: I don't agree with all your views here and I even think you sound a bit patronising. Truth be told, Islamic terrorism is not a local problem as represented by boko haram. It is actually a global phenomenon and these fundamentalists have not only proven time and again that they draw their inspiration from their holy books, they also claim with evidence that they follow the example of Muhammed who is their perfect example and was known to be a man of war. In my views there is something very fundamentally inconsistent about the religion and the way it's adherents wish to interpret or practise it.

I agree with the patronizing aspect you suggested. Its deliberate. The article is meant for a wider audience on my blog. When I write articles like this I consider the sensitivity of my audience; my Muslim father and uncle; my colleague at work. These are all people I am still trusting God for their salvation. No need to loose them.

But at the same time, the junction we've reached as a multi religious nation must allow for some tolerance. If Boko Haram have gone extreme, we need not go the other extreme. When I discuss with Christian brethren, I could then suggest the things you have said above.

Nonetheless, we must agree that there are many "correct" headed Muslims and all are not extremists. I also stand by my words that the Islamic version of BH is not the one many Muslim practice today. I cannot say for certain what sort of Islam Mohammed practiced though.
Re: Boko Haram And The Nigerian Christian - An Article by PastorKun(m): 1:53pm On Aug 27, 2014
DrummaBoy:

I agree with the patronizing aspect you suggested. Its deliberate. The article is meant for a wider audience on my blog. When I write articles like this I consider the sensitivity of my audience; my Muslim father and uncle; my colleague at work. These are all people I am still trusting God for their salvation. No need to loose them.

But at the same time, the junction we've reached as a multi religious nation must allow for some tolerance. If Boko Haram have gone extreme, we need not go the other extreme. When I discuss with Christian brethren, I could then suggest the things you have said above.

Nonetheless, we must agree that there are many "correct" headed Muslims and all are not extremists. I also stand by my words that the Islamic version of BH is not the one many Muslim practice today. I cannot say for certain what sort of Islam Mohammed practiced though.

I would never support or encourage christians to take to the other extreme by reciprocating with hatred. Our lord asked us to love and pray for our enemies as christians. Hatred has no place in a christian's life. However it is good to educate our selves and know what exactly is behind islamic extremism and hatred for Christians by some Muslims. It's all based on instruction in their 'holy' book. You may wish to read qur'an 9:28-31 for more insight. If you don't have a copy of the qur'an just Google the passage and check out what is instructed there.

(1) (Reply)

Today Is Christmas In Ethiopia! / Errors of Rapture : Will All Faithful Christian Go To Heaven ?? / Who Created GOD?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.