Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,083 members, 7,825,412 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" (816 Views)

Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - / Obama's Trip To Africa Comes With A Hefty Price Tag (extra Security, Etc). / What Gaddafi's Death Means To Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" by infonubia(m): 5:05pm On Dec 21, 2013
[img]http://3.bp..com/-zNrpEflnOYg/UrW172oOfqI/AAAAAAAAD0I/qCKSa_efY9Y/s576/1.JPG[/img]

While social media is a powerful tool to get your message out, it could also land you in trouble. One wrong tweet and it's all over!

Justine Sacco, a public relations executive for a major media company who tweeted a racist 'joke' on Friday, has sparked a social media revolt.

Sacco was unaware she had become front page news because she posted the message while boarding a long-haul flight.

Here's some excerpt from Daily Mail:

Justine Sacco - the Communications Director for IAC, a parent company for Vimeo, OkCupid, Tinder, CollegeHumor, and Dictionary.com - was flying to Cape Town when she Tweeted: 'Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White!'

The post had been retweeted over 3000 times and was picked up by news sites around the world by the time Sacco landed in Africa.

Blasted for being 'outrageous' and 'inappropriate', with titles like 'Worst Tweet of the Year' stacking up against her, Sacco promptly deleted the Tweet, with her entire Twitter account soon vanishing as well.

But the damage had been done, and IAC were forced to comment on Sacco's behalf.

'This is an outrageous, offensive comment that does not reflect the views and values of IAC. Unfortunately, the employee in question is unreachable on an international flight, but this is a very serious matter and we are taking appropriate action,' a representative from IAC told the International Business Times.

Sacco landed in Africa on British Airways Flight 43 and one can only guess the number of angry responses she'll receive.

With this recent development, I don't think Sacco would have the best of Christmas in Cape Town. For a PR executive, her tweet was highly unprofessional, clueless, and immature.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/12/white-woman-tweets-going-to-africa-hope.html
Re: Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" by Nobody: 5:25pm On Dec 21, 2013
Silly tweet from a silly white woman
Re: Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" by infonubia(m): 5:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
Titiluvly: Silly tweet from a silly white woman

You can say that again.
Re: Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" by prymesolution: 5:43pm On Dec 21, 2013
Aren't we the dregs of the earth! Yes she is racist, but did we not bring it on ourselves? After years of independence, most of our countries are as rudderless as ever. We cannot even feed ourselves or fight any disease without White people's intervention. I am angry but not at her but at we Africans of all shades and background! When will we decide to take our destiny into our hands. The moment an African man/woman and his/her family is doing OK, who care about the rest of the race. That is the kind of attitude that almost always send us down the bottom of the rung! Jews, Latinos, Italians will get into a place and form institutions that will lift fellow nation's people up, but what do we do, as long as my family is doing well who care for other black people. It is simply a shame on our race!

2 Likes

Re: Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" by infonubia(m): 6:11pm On Dec 21, 2013
^^^ Well said!
Re: Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" by demmy(m): 12:10am On Dec 22, 2013
prymesolution: Aren't we the dregs of the earth! Yes she is racist, but did we not bring it on ourselves? After years of independence, most of our countries are as rudderless as ever. We cannot even feed ourselves or fight any disease without White people's intervention. I am angry but not at her but at we Africans of all shades and background! When will we decide to take our destiny into our hands. The moment an African man/woman and his/her family is doing OK, who care about the rest of the race. That is the kind of attitude that almost always send us down the bottom of the rung! Jews, Latinos, Italians will get into a place and form institutions that will lift fellow nation's people up, but what do we do, as long as my family is doing well who care for other black people. It is simply a shame on our race!

You're exactly where racist whites want you with such self blame/self hate post. They want you blaming yourself for your condition as if their invisible hands are not to blame.

Black consciousness is the antidote to white supremacy.
Re: Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" by infonubia(m): 4:19am On Dec 22, 2013
demmy:

You're exactly where racist whites want you with such self blame/self hate post. They want you blaming yourself for your condition as if their invisible hands are not to blame.

Really? How so? Would you rather us continue to depend on foreign aid from the West? I would think that the comment is meant to spur us into action? What do I propose is a better way to break free from the hold the West has on Africa?
Re: Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" by mink505: 12:45am On Dec 23, 2013
demmy:

Keep blaming white people for all your problems. Invisible hands ko, supernatural hands ni.
at the end of the day, we blacks are the source of majority of our own problems.

prymesolution: Aren't we the dregs of the earth! Yes she is racist, but did we not bring it on ourselves? After years of independence, most of our countries are as rudderless as ever. We cannot even feed ourselves or fight any disease without White people's intervention. I am angry but not at her but at we Africans of all shades and background! When will we decide to take our destiny into our hands. The moment an African man/woman and his/her family is doing OK, who care about the rest of the race. That is the kind of attitude that almost always send us down the bottom of the rung! Jews, Latinos, Italians will get into a place and form institutions that will lift fellow nation's people up, but what do we do, as long as my family is doing well who care for other black people. It is simply a shame on our race!

well said!! I completely agree.
the lady was very insensitive with her comments and deserves to be fired from her job, but truth cannot be ignored...
Re: Woman Tweets "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White" by infonubia(m): 1:14am On Dec 23, 2013
mink505:

Keep blaming white people for all your problems. Invisible hands ko, supernatural hands ni.
at the end of the day, we blacks are the source of majority of our own problems.

well said!! I completely agree.
the lady was very insensitive with her comments and deserves to be fired from her job, but truth cannot be ignored...

Thanks for the comment. It's about time we put our destiny in our hands rather than continued dependence on some handouts from the West.

BTW, the lady has been fired and she also issued an apology. https://www.nairaland.com/1565790/justine-sacco-issues-apology-after

(1) (Reply)

Lesson For Jonathan From Tunisia's Election / Photos:india’s Army Makes Candidates Strip To Foil Cheating / The Donald Trump Show: 20 Reasons Why Trump Is The Worst Of Humanity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.