Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,437 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Should Nigeria Change Her Name? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Change Her Name? (3464 Views)

FFK Mock The Nigeria "CHANGE" / Buhari Goes From Nigeria’s Change Champion To ‘baba Go Slow’ - Bloomberg / Should Nigeria Change Its Name To United States Of Songhai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by madamkoko: 7:25pm On Aug 01, 2008
Should Nigeria change her name considering that the name was given to Nigeria by a (Female) Slave Owner? Maybe this name symbolizes regression ?

What do you all think ?
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by DeepZone: 7:44pm On Aug 01, 2008
Change it to what? Federal republic of Wazobia? You can wash and baptize a pig but it'll still remain a pig.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by SamMilla1(m): 9:28pm On Aug 01, 2008
i think we should
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by ASL33: 10:43pm On Aug 01, 2008
Change it to ODUDUWANIFARE
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by Tats(m): 10:50pm On Aug 01, 2008
Old wine in new skin? Changes nothing!
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by SkyBlue1: 11:07pm On Aug 01, 2008
And such a change will help things how? @poster with no solid arguement as to the effects such will have, i hope you are not one of the people who went to UN to discuss Nudity Bill o, LOL. Priority
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by Younik: 4:48am On Aug 02, 2008
If dem like make dem change am to Nisiria,Ligeria or even Malaria. Sour soup na sour soup!!!
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by SeanT21(f): 4:50am On Aug 02, 2008
Younik:

If them like make them change am to Nisiria,Ligeria or even Malaria. Sour soup na sour soup!!!

LMAO!!
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by davidif: 12:23pm On Aug 02, 2008
(Female) Slave Owner?
Female slave owner ke. Abeg she was Lord Lugard's wife, by the way, the name means niger area.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by beninman(m): 12:45pm On Aug 02, 2008
I think it will be better if the name change! The world Nigeria is a taboo when you travel out of Nigeria. No body on earth want to see your Nigeria passport or hear you say you are a Nigerian at all!!! I think that female slave owner that give us that name may have a little impart on us ooh.

Maybe when we change the name, we Nigerians will get sense, we will not be stealing our money to bank oversea again. We will rule our country good when are a leader. The rest of the world will respect our new name. Our passport will not be seen as TABOO again when we travel overseas. I need to renew our name and our spirit will be renewed as well.

This NIGERIA name thing need CHANGE ooh!!
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by chidichris(m): 12:48pm On Aug 02, 2008
it is a good idea to change the name and leave the old fools to remain in corridors of power.
to me the best name for nigeria will be obasanjo
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by ifyalways(f): 1:54pm On Aug 02, 2008
roflmao @ replies
@Topic,it wont be a bad idea BUT wud it change anything
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 02, 2008
ifyalways:

roflmao @ replies
@Topic,it wont be a bad idea BUT would it change anything
i wonder o
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by Gonorrhea(m): 2:21pm On Aug 02, 2008
Nigeria's name should be changed to ILU-JIBITI or OPKANKA or CORRUPT NATION
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by onyinye2(f): 2:24pm On Aug 02, 2008
why change it? I love the name, the pride that comes with it, everything. I mean if we change it, what would it be? And what would be the outcome? If you changed the name of America to Golden States, it wouldn't change anything. It would still be the great America as it was before just with a new name.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by Fhemmmy: 5:45pm On Aug 02, 2008
onyinye2:

why change it? I love the name, the pride that comes with it, everything. I mean if we change it, what would it be? And what would be the outcome? If you changed the name of America to Golden States, it wouldn't change anything. It would still be the great America as it was before just with a new name.

What is so great about america?
Nigeria is a greater nation, just plagued with fools as leaders.
Imagine being rules by a chimp obasango
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by madamkoko: 3:36am On Aug 03, 2008
Nigeria should change her name. The name Nigeria represents regression. It may not be the main issue that Nigeria faces but its important that Nigeria does not retain and maintain the name that a slave owner gave to her.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by smile4kenn(m): 4:11am On Aug 03, 2008
Nigeria should change it to naija
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by Lady2(f): 5:30am On Aug 03, 2008
CORRUPT NATION

Then how would you be able to distinguish the Americans from the Nigerians?

Nigeria should change it to naija

I second it, Naija is much more razzzzz and me I like razzzzzzz o. grin
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by StephenP(m): 8:30am On Aug 03, 2008
Hell no. What in the world When we were prospering and making mad money, no one remembered that it was "a slave owner" that gave that name to us but now that we are wallowing in poverty, everything, even our name, is to blame. What's next? The land we live on?? Instead of pointing fingers at random things, we should flush the corrupt ones from the leadership positions they are in. As for me, I'm happy with the name Nigeria and it shall continue to be called Nigeria.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by madamkoko: 2:55pm On Aug 03, 2008
When was Nigeria making mad money ?
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by grafikdon: 3:04pm On Aug 03, 2008
Like that will do anything. . . talk about giving your house a new coat of paint when roof holds less water than a basket.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by madamkoko: 3:15pm On Aug 03, 2008
The country had a name before slave owners gave her the name "Nigeria"

Nigeria must reject the name of regression.

I don't think that Black Americans kept the names that thier slave masters gave to them. Many changed it, thats why they are named: Nikisa, Shaniqua, Shasha, and so on and soo forth.

It might not be a major change but its a symbolic and meaningful one.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by texazzpete(m): 7:50pm On Aug 03, 2008
The sad part is not the corruption eating away at our society. Nope. We've all come to terms with that.

What truly rankles is that some of our educated youth who are supposed to be the change Nigeria needs are dumb enough to believe that merely changing our name would fix this country.
madamkoko:

The country had a name before slave owners gave her the name "Nigeria"

Nigeria must reject the name of regression.

I don't think that Black Americans kept the names that their slave masters gave to them. Many changed it, thats why they are named: Nikisa, Shaniqua, Shasha, and so on and soo forth.

It might not be a major change but its a symbolic and meaningful one.

\What country? Wasn't it the same 'slave owner' that amalgamated this country into one?
As far as i know, Lord Lugard never had slaves in Nigeria, and slavery had been abolished in Britain long before the American Civil War.
Many of those names you spout have french origins. Many others are chosen at random or made up just to sound funky. There are millions of Black Americans moving around with anglophone names. Go figure.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by BigB11(m): 2:37am On Aug 04, 2008
Should Nigeria Change Her Name?

No!
Instead, Nigeria should change her constitution.
A country that has no constitution or weak constitution has no criminals.

You can change the paint on the car 100 times if you want, if the defective engine on the car is not restored or changed the car remains stationary forever and ever.

Amen!
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by HCH3COO: 2:40am On Aug 04, 2008
You're tripping! The constitution will remain a mere document until you have capable intellectuals running the system.
Until your peppersouping and suyaing leaders decide to come together for the greater good of Nigeria, there will be no change.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by BigB11(m): 2:44am On Aug 04, 2008
You're tripping!

My man: it wouldn't cost you additional 25 cents if you present your point without insulting folks, trust me!
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by Joseph6(m): 2:46am On Aug 04, 2008
i think we shld rename nigeria to egokudiowo then our new dial code wld be 419
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by madamkoko: 3:42am On Aug 04, 2008
Nigeria should change her name. Its a step towards progression.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by HCH3COO: 3:54am On Aug 04, 2008
Joseph6:

i think we shld rename nigeria to egokudiowo then our new dial code would be 419
olodo.

Big B1:

My man: it wouldn't cost you additional 25 cents if you present you point without insulting folks, trust me!
ma binu undecided . sorry. cry
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by TheJoker1(m): 8:39am On Aug 04, 2008
Nice idea to change our name from Nigeria to whatever the new one will be, but only and only when we have changed a whole lot of other things can we then consider doing the name thing.
Re: Should Nigeria Change Her Name? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 05, 2008
"Whats in a name? Will a rose loose its beuty if wasnt called a rose?"

(1) (2) (Reply)

El Rufai Says Buhari Is Perpetually Unelectable / Njc Probe: How Salami, Acn Chieftains Exchanged Calls / 15 Reason I Won't Vote For APC In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.