Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,445 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Engine Check Light In 98 Camry - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Engine Check Light In 98 Camry (2403 Views)

2010 Polo Volkswagen 1.4liter Engine...check It Out! / New(other Still On Ship)04 Altima 4 1.35m,07 Corolla(sold),pics,98 camry on soil / UNBELIEVABLE PRICE SLASH TOKS AMERICAN SPECS 98 CAMRY 770K...HURRY NOW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Check Light In 98 Camry by symbianDON(m): 8:51pm On Aug 02, 2008
could anyone be of help please. i just recently bought a 1998 toyota camry. i noticed that the check engine light has been on for some time now. although the car drives quite smoothly and there are no strange noises, it seems fuel consumption is rather high. i always have the air conditioner switched on though (i live in a rather hot town). i do not want to take the car to any mechanics yet until i have an idea of what might be wrong. i'll appreciate your candid responses.
Re: Engine Check Light In 98 Camry by tha234(m): 9:18pm On Aug 02, 2008
This check engine light can just come up due to a malfunction in the System. THis happens mainly in American Spec cars,
all u have to do is to take off the Battery Terminals of the Battery (Positive and Negative), Just allow it for 30 seconds, then connect them again. Then Start your car, and The Check engine light will go off,
Enjoy your ride jari, Nothin do u,
One love,

Tha234
Re: Engine Check Light In 98 Camry by sultaan(m): 1:31am On Aug 03, 2008
That is the worst thing you can do when you don't know about OBDII.
You need to get it scanned for DTCs (codes) that will indicate where a malfunction is then fix it first before you erase the codes(disconnect battery)
Those people you see complain about error on their Honda CD players had it because they didn't erase with a scan tool.If you are burning fuel, its either yourair filter clogged, sparkplugs are worn, O2 sensor is bad(most likely) or catalytic converter is bad.Even not locking your gas cap properly cause the light to come on.
So get it scanned first and search on internet for the meaning of the codes. You'll find ow to reapair it and part you'll need.
Re: Engine Check Light In 98 Camry by Okejazz(m): 6:17am On Aug 03, 2008
Pali, disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery, nah serious Ojoro. The light will eventually show a few days later if not the same day. Heed to Sultaan's advise.
Re: Engine Check Light In 98 Camry by DeepZone: 7:34am On Aug 03, 2008
could anyone be of help please. i just recently bought a 1998 toyota camry. i noticed that the check engine light has been on for some time now. although the car drives quite smoothly and there are no strange noises, it seems fuel consumption is rather high. i always have the air conditioner switched on though (i live in a rather hot town). i do not want to take the car to any mechanics yet until i have an idea of what might be wrong. i'll appreciate your candid responses.

It could be anything . Oxygen sensor is bad, oil sensor, bad fuel, fuel cap was not closed tightly, transmission problem(thats a big one) etc. You need to run a scan on the car to know what is at fault. Shoot, the car is 10 yrs old, that means it's a very old car and it could be the vents are dusty or the throttle acceleration sensor.
Re: Engine Check Light In 98 Camry by AloyEmeka9: 10:40am On Aug 03, 2008
American cars come with check engine light. It may be the catalytic converter. The converter makes the carbon produced while the engine is running less harmful to the ozone layer. We are not environmentally friendly in Naija so if na that thing , comotam throway. It's only installed in US cars anyway and it's preety expensive in case you want to buy a new one.

(1) (Reply)

very sweet 2001 model nissan frontier.for truck lovers.call now let us negotiate / Toyota Town Ace (TOKS)Auto Gear 650,ooo PRICE REDUCED TO 500K / Registered Audi A6 2006 Model For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.